McKay and Mrs. Miller (308)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan
    Much of its humor was cringe-worthy and the opposite of clever, the writers treated their own creations with utter contempt, and I wish I could erase the experience of watching this from my mind.
    That's why I'm glad I don't really watch the show anymore. The humor IS exactly as you say (IMO, anyway) and McKay in particular is nearly always being ridiculed and/or humiliated. I prefer to laugh WITH the characters, not AT the characters and Stargate's humor simply doesn't operate that way. At least not anymore. *sigh*

If I still watched Atlantis regularly I'd probably feel the same way you do, but having some distance from it made me appreciate it more. I highly recommend doing the same. Watching intermittenly makes a lot of things much easier to stomach.
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 08 September 2006, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Over on the TWoP boards, someone noted that Meredith is Old Welsh for "protector of the sea". Internet searching also revealed that it could mean "great ruler" or "sea lord". Awesome.

ETA: And "Rodney" could mean "Land Near the Water", "Famous One's Island", or "Hroda's island", where Hroda is German for fame. If you trust these internet sites, that is... (Not like that's intentional, since he got his name long before TPTB were working on the Atlantis show.)
      Last edited by ToasterOnFire; 08 September 2006, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but as the TWOP folks asked- can we actually credit TPTB for doing the research to come up with that, or did they just pick a "girly" name?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          That's why I'm glad I don't really watch the show anymore. The humor IS exactly as you say (IMO, anyway) and McKay in particular is nearly always being ridiculed and/or humiliated. I prefer to laugh WITH the characters, not AT the characters and Stargate's humor simply doesn't operate that way. At least not anymore. *sigh*
          This episode will insult anyone who has been bullied for being a "geek", just as "Irresistible" insulted a lot of the women in the audience. You might add that the continuous references to Sheppard being "Kirk" also insults a chunk of the audience who are tired of Sheppard behaving like a ho instead of a hero. The writers need to step back and analyze their "humor" angle.

I don't recall SG1 having this problem with "insulting humor".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

To be blunt and petulant here before I put this behind me... this episode sucked, sucked, sucked. Much of its humor was cringe-worthy and the opposite of clever, the writers treated their own creations with utter contempt, and I wish I could erase the experience of watching this from my mind.
            Were you watching the same show? We who already loved Rodney's character are happy to see him grow a little as a person. He's vulnerabilities were exposed and ultimately he was affirmed by both his sister and his team...kind of a 'feel good' thing.

Best Atlantis Ep.

(P.S. Isn't it funny how Sam provided a big part of the comic relief in both shows tonight?)

Comment

Well, I made it known in the live thread how disgusted I was by Rodney's (yet again) HORRIBLE treatment. Let's just humiliate him again and again and again and again and again and again and then have Sheppard put some "we were just playing" white-out on it. This was very, very difficult to stomach.
              David, don't talk to us, talk to Martin Gero. Mallozzi admitted there was a contest among the writers to see who could humiliate you the most.

Just kidding. You are not David Hewlett...........right?
              Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                Over on the TWoP boards, someone noted that Meredith is Old Welsh for "protector of the sea". Internet searching also revealed that it could mean "great ruler" or "sea lord". Awesome.
                Exactly, I liked the name Meredith and didn't find that moment funny as others did. It was a cool name, it's like being called Carroll, these names were masculine before they were well known feminine names. I like his name and wouldnt' mind calling him Merry. Good choice TPTB!!

Well, I made it known in the live thread how disgusted I was by Rodney's (yet again) HORRIBLE treatment. Let's just humiliate him again and again and again and again and again and again and then have Sheppard put some "we were just playing" white-out on it. This was very, very difficult to stomach.
                I actually totally agree with you, which is why I downgraded a bit of this ep. I got annoyed at times, and I do tend to get more annoyed by John's attitude, sometimes I wonder if he really likes Rodney. But overall, I let it slide. Sometimes i think Rodney's ego is strong enough to deal with it, and then at times, I just want someone to smack John!!
                Last edited by vaberella; 08 September 2006, 08:47 PM.
                Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrarin
                  We who already loved Rodney's character are happy to see him grow a little as a person.
                  Please don't presume to speak for all Rodney fans. I happen to be a fan of the character, but that doesn't mean I love everything about him and I certainly don't love the way he tends to be treated by those around him.

Random other note: Was it just me or in the scene where Sam, Rodney and Jeannie are on the Daedalus look a little odd? Sam just stared blankly at Rodney until her cue. Actually made me wonder if they filmed the scene together, 'cos I wasn't sure she was even staring at him, just at the space he was (or would be) occupying.

Comment

Are you sure? Because I thought Jeannie said, "The bridge has collapsed! We've done it! Shut off the ZPM!" and McKay told them not to because Rod wasn't "there" yet.

Also, did anyone pick up on the fact that AU Team Atlantis was perfectly willing to destroy "our" universe to save their own? I wonder if "our" team would have done the same thing if the situation had been reversed.

Methinks they would have.

Yeah I'm sure. Jeannie said, "The bridge is collapsing; we've done it!" This means that it was in the process of collapsing, rather than completely. I just watched it again to be sure. (Thank god for DVR's... ) So, yeah.
                    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for the check.

And speaking of Czech, nice touch having Rod say something to Radek in Czech.

Comment

Yeah, but as the TWOP folks asked- can we actually credit TPTB for doing the research to come up with that, or did they just pick a "girly" name?
                        Oh it's all but definitely the latter, but the meaning of the name is kinda cute in this context. Rodney, protector of the sea! Rawr!

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
                          I enjoyed this episode except for one plothole. Whatever happened to the fact that a universe can't have two of the same person because of shifting or something. It happened on SG-1 with Sam.

Otherwise fun episode. I loved his sister, did a great job "acting" when she hasn't in the past.
                          Yes, it was like they forgot entropic cascade failure completely. Even if the shifting didn't happen right away, they knew it would happen soon. It would have given Rod's return more urgency.

Note to Martin Gero. Watch old SG1 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                            Yes, it was like they forgot that completely. Even if the shifting didn't happen right away, they knew it would happen soon. It would have given Rod's return more urgency.

Note to Martin Gero. Watch old SG1 episodes.
                            Maybe Rod wasn't there long enough for that to occur??
                            sigpic
                            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

This is one of my favorite Atlantis episodes. I enjoyed the interaction between the characters. I also liked seeing Jeannie's reaction to space and Hermiod. LOL. David and Kate Hewlett play very well together (unlike their characters) and I'd like to see Kate on the show again...maybe when Rodney gets some leave.

Technically, I was impressed by Rod passing the notebook computer to Rodney and the handshake. Well done.

Note. Is it just me or does anyone else think Martin Gero might be a fan of "Medium"? Jeannie's home life and husband seemed very familiar except that SHE is the scientist.
                              Last edited by Hatusu; 08 September 2006, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrarin
                                Were you watching the same show? We who already loved Rodney's character are happy to see him grow a little as a person. He's vulnerabilities were exposed and ultimately he was affirmed by both his sister and his team...kind of a 'feel good' thing.
                                Please don't presume to speak for all Rodney fans. I happen to be a fan of the character, but that doesn't mean I love everything about him and I certainly don't love the way he tends to be treated by those around him.
                                Apologies, no presumption intended...poor choice of words. Could've said, "Many of us who loved..." or "I, who already loved,..."

I agree completely that there are things that we don't like about him (feel the same about my brother, actually), but although it's true he faced a good deal of 'humbling,' I felt a little better at the end when he reconciled with his sister and his team did make a point to make him feel welcome.

I'm sorry you didn't like the episode. Since we are fortunate enough to have SGA renewed for another season, we're sure to have a great many more Rodney eps that we will all love. Good night

Comment

Working...
                                X