McKay and Mrs. Miller (308)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved the episode. Very good entertainment

My favorite scene....the one where McKay and his sister were onboad the Daedalus with Sam communicating from the SGC. Loved where McKay's sister pointed out that she solved his problem in her spare time, and with finger paints. Absolutely loved this scene. Loved when Sam butted in and was amused at their "sorry"

I think the writer's are trying to give us a little more of what the audience has been asking for. We saw Shep in his spare time...practicing his swing and we saw the group together on several occasions laughing and having a good time.

I want the focus to continue to shift towards the characters, and not so much "we need this to happen in this episode, no matter how inconsistent, to further a story plot and/or lead into the next episode". The story is important, but not when it is at the sacrafice of the characters. Speaking of characters, where the h*** is Beckett?

Overall, I really liked this episode...enough so that I have already watched it twice this morning

Comment

I loved this episode:

*Kate Hewlett was amazing----I hope she makes many more return visits.....

*loved seeing so much character development for Rodney---the fact that he grew up as a little boy named Meredith explains a great many things....poor baby. Liked that Rodney had his little a-ha moments of self-revelation, with Rod as his catalyst. Rodney's world pretty much revolves around himself, but I've always felt there was so much more to him than that and it's great to see that being explored. David Hewlett is such a joy to watch.....whether as Rodney or Rod......

*so glad the writers seem to have gotten over the Rodney/Sam crush thing and are just letting them be the competitive geniuses they are when they're together---Jeannie's addition made it a pretty impressive trio.....

*for me, the depleted ZPM definitely makes up for the fact that they can take day trips to Earth.....

*the technobabble was fine with me---after all, it's what they do.

*this is the Sheppard I've been missing---such a nice touch to have him show the "Letters from Pegasus" video to Jeannie. For me, that showed how much he cared about Rodney as a friend.....

*I like the way the writers are deliberately upping the teaminess factor---the team actually comes across as friends rather than just co-workers. Others have mentioned not liking the ridiculing of Rodney in the cafeteria....I probably would have felt the same way if their interactions together over the past couple of years hadn't convinced me that the others have a deep regard for Rodney.....

*Thought for the Day: you can never have too much Zelenka.....

*I'd actually give this episode a 10---now this is what I expect from a show with Stargate in the title.

Comment

A really great episode. It was wonderfull to see Kate, she did an excellent job in this ep, and I hope she will return sometime again. Probably the best McKay centered ep, great development for the character. I hope the depleted ZPM means that the show will move back to what it was in season 1. Less crossovers and more searching for more ZPMs.

It will be interesting to see the rest of this season, where it leads, as well as the next season. A great ep, 9/10 from me.

Comment

A very nice episode, all in all, funny and touching and well-acted...

Would have liked to have seen more Weir/Rodney and/or Rod interaction, but that's a scruffy little nitpicky thing...

I liked the scene where Rodney's coming in the gate, he's in a hurry and distracted and all snarky and everything, but he still can't resist sneaking a peek at Carter's butt as he goes by her...

ladyjanus

Comment

Wow. I really loved this episode. All the episodes this season have been so great it is getter harder and harder to pick a favorite. There is like 4 of them now from season 3 that I would call my most favorite.

Loved the sister/brother interaction between Rodney and Jeannie. You could see from the beginning that they really care for each other but after so much hurt and so many years apart they had trouble connecting again – and I thought they were both a little stubborn in that neither one of them was comfortable in making the first gesture. I saw an analogy that while they were trying to create a bridge between our universe and the AU, they also needed to build a bridge between themselves.

Loved the line in the Daeddy when Rodney tells Jeannie that “we are at war” and her quick response is to ask Rodney, “Did you start it?” It was just a very typical sibling type of response.

Loved how Sheppard – despite his teasing of Rodney, showed the tape from “Letters to Pegasus” to Jeannie. He obviously recognized how hurt Rodney was over his estranged relationship with his sister. It shows how much John cares for Rodney. I also thought the fact that Rodney went to Sheppard for advice shows that - despite the teasing - he trusts John enough to seek him out. Also thought the way John handled it was perfect. He didn’t really tell Rodney what to do – he just kept saying enough to keep Rodney talking and to let Rodney draw his own conclusions and solutions. John probably realized that if simply told Rodney what to do Rodney might have taken offense and left but by allowing Rodney to talk it out he figured things out on his own. Good interaction between John and Rodney – good growth moment for Rodney.

Speaking of the teasing, I didn’t think the remarks from the team in the cafeteria were meant to hurt or humiliate Rodney. Friends do tease each other. (Though I did cringe a little at the underwear on the head remark) I remember my husband dreaded taking me to his college reunion because he knew his buddies would take extreme delight at regaling me with all the embarrassing stories – and other girls - from his college days, which of course they did. But it was not mean spirited we all laughed about it. But I think Rodney is actually very insecure in his relationships with people so seeing his reaction from his POV is interesting insight into his character. He tried to laugh it off, but one could see he was uncomfortable. Which is why I thought the last scene was such a good team bonding/caring moment. I think they realized they needed to reach out to Rodney, to let him know they did care and they do like him more than Rod. And they did. It was perfect.

Loved the golfing scene with Sheppard and the AU Rod. Interesting to see how our Sheppard was uncomfortable to learn that his AU Sheppard was a genius, arrogant and up late each night with Mensa get-togethers.

Have to say I am not too upset about the loss of the ZPM. It does add that desperate element to the story and increases the danger level – makes for good drama and perhaps for some interesting stories.

Kudos to both DH and KH for such a terrific acting job. I hope too they find a reason to bring KH back. She was great.

Kudos to Martin Gero for a great story and script.

** Note: I saw that some questioned why Jeannie would not have seen the tape from “Letters from Pegasus.” I wondered at first too but then I realized that those tapes were essentially good byes to their loved ones because they thought they were going to die. But Earth was able to launch a rescue effort. So I would think that SGC decided not to show the tapes to family members till they know whether or not the rescue effort was successful. Why show the tapes and have hundreds of frantic, grieving family members to deal with when everything was hopefully going to go well and they would all survive. So maybe they only showed the taped to the family members of those that did not suvive the attack. Does this make sense?

Comment

I think that this ep was fun, but prefered Common Ground. The Two McKay's reminded me of Red Drawf, n' I love Red Drawf
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG
                ** Note: I saw that some questioned why Jeannie would not have seen the tape from “Letters from Pegasus.” I wondered at first too but then I realized that those tapes were essentially good byes to their loved ones because they thought they were going to die. But Earth was able to launch a rescue effort. So I would think that SGC decided not to show the tapes to family members till they know whether or not the rescue effort was successful. Why show the tapes and have hundreds of frantic, grieving family members to deal with when everything was hopefully going to go well and they would all survive. So maybe they only showed the taped to the family members of those that did not suvive the attack. Does this make sense?
                It does make sense actually. You may be right. I was wondering as well why she didn't see the tape before. But as you say, since most was a goodbye letter/video they might not have given them to the families of the people that survived.

Comment

I have to give my kudos for this episode!!

While not a overt fan of McKay centric episodes, I thought this one was very well done and certainly not McKay going OTT.

I was also impressed with the team moments and even the Sheppard and McKay friendship moments that added to the dynamic of this episode.

I thought the scene with McKay in Shep's quarters was a great friendship dynamic!! I love how Sheppy lets McKay go on his rant and figure things out for himself while he patiently cleans his golf clubs.

I also enjoyed the scenes of the team around the table talking and laughing. Even though it was at McKay's expense, the team did come through and gave him a much needed ego boost and let him know he was really part of the team in the end.

Sheppy showing the video to Jeannie - priceless. I thought this really showed some character depth to Sheppard. I thought it was his way of trying to help Jeannie realize that Rodney did care for her and missed her, while at the same time, letting Jeannie know that McKay is respected, well liked, and really has friends who care about him and look out for him.

Overall, it was a well written episode with several lighthearted moments. The depletion of the ZPM was a bit of a shocker and will be interesting to see what further implications this will cause down the line.

My rating 8/10.
                  sigpic

Comment

Why are the Millers living in Sam Carter’s house? The establishing shot of their house was so obviously a reused one from – I suspect – “Ascension.” It even had Sam Carter’s car outside! So when Sam turned up shortly afterwards, I expected her first question to be, “What are you doing in my house?”! The dumb thing is, on the establishing shot, the door is white, while whenever Jeanie opens the door, it’s dark red; and Jeanie’s house has a verandah while the establishing shot house doesn’t.

Anyone else spot the bizarre face on one of the towers in the new establishing shot of Atlantis? It’s the shot of the city taken from low down on the ocean surface before Rod hits the golf ball into it. Look at the tallest tower towards the right – there’s definitely a face on it!

Comment

I just thought of something.

I really think Rod should have referred to the Jumper as a Gateship.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be funny if "our's" was the only reality to refer to them as Puddle Jumpers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                        I just thought of something.

I really think Rod should have referred to the Jumper as a Gateship.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be funny if "our's" was the only reality to refer to them as Puddle Jumpers.
                        That would've been great! Where the hell were you when MG wrote the episode!
                        sigpic
                        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by doylefan22
                          I love and adore Rodney but, let's face it, he's an arrogant, rude, antagonistic, smug little sod. Or at least that's what he chooses to be. Now we are aware from his back story that there are reasons he is this way but still he doesn't make himself easy to get on with nor does he go out of his way to make people like him. And that's one of the things I like about his character. I don't ever see him thinking less of himself because of the others ribbing him - it just irritates the heck out of him that they don't worship the ground he walks on! He does need that knocking down a peg or two because otherwise his ego would get out of control.
                          You've done a good job responding to these posts, DF... don't think I can do it much better... But I just wanted to add a few comments.

I suppose I'm also having a great deal of difficulty with perceiving this Rodney teasing and bantering as demeaning or small-minded, fundamentally because he is the kind of person who opens himself to it. He gives as good as he gets. In a normal office situation, he would be ostracized/criticised for his distinct lack of interpersonal skills. The man's not just arrogant but a control freak. It really is to DH's credit that the character has garnered so many fans in spite of his rather anti-social tendencies but I still think we need to take a broader view of things.

I'm one of the odd ones I suppose... I adore Rodney and personally I think the teasing makes him more likeable. Not because I like teasing people for the sake of teasing them but in Rodney's case it humanizes him... and makes him appear less (for want of a better word) high and mighty. Or extravagant. Sometimes I don't think there's a lot separating him and Kavanagh personalitywise except for the fact that he doesn't hold grudges and has shown a willingness to change.
                          There's someone I work with who reminds me of Rodney. As a colleague, he has a number of desirable qualities but frankly speaking, he's not someone I would choose to marry. I myself cope with being in close proximity with this person by teasing him (don't care for underwear jokes myself) occasionally. It helps me let off steam without resorting to physical violence. To his credit, he takes all the teasing rather good naturedly.
                          I can't imagine what it is like working with McKay day in day out in close quarters. In that regard, I agree with Lorne... Sheppard really does have the patience of Job.

I don't think anyone would deny that Sheppard sees McKay as a friend but he also puts up with a lot of his faults and certainly isn't blind to them.
                          I think it goes both ways... Consider the Kirk joke... Rodney being protective of his sister when he thinks Sheppard is being rather too friendly. I thought that was funny (and I'm a big time Shep fan).

This was a great episode for character development. It took the 'everyday' Rodney we see and gave us greater insight into why he is like that and that he can change. I don't think he's going to be all sweetness and light from here on in - nor do I want him to be! Just because he is reconciled with his sister doesn't mean he'll lose his arrogance or snark. That's too ingrained in him to ever change I think. But at least we have seen how he can be.
                          I suspect that David Hewlett enjoys that side of the character far too much to ever let that change.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Approved of this ep. The brother-sister dynamic is VERY familiar to me (except a 4 year disconnect - yipe) so I saw a lot of work go into making their encounters plausible. Great work from both Kate and David.

There was good tension in the story, with Rod's appearance and subsequent admission that he was stuck there; the realization that the subspace connection was dangerous to both universes and the loss of the ZPM power so Rod could return safely. The level of technobabble didn't bother me but thank god for schematics! As to the alternate "Rod" being as easy going as Rodney isn't: a bit spooky to see him smiling all the time!

I actually don't get what is so humorous about the name Meredith, male or female; go figure.

One thing puzzled me: Rod showed his alt-sister pictures of her three children as "what your future looks like." But they're an alternate reality (or universe, meh) so how does that become her future or did I miss that his is a "possible" future?

Nice guest appearance with Sam Carter. She seems to have learned how to deal with her fellow genius and Rodney seems easier around her now, although they still play their competitive tension well.

Just sayin', it's a definite 9/10. An enjoyable hour with humor, angst and a big headache with the loss of the hallowed ZPM. I hope this means things will really get cookin' for the rest of the season and for Season 4. My nickle's worth
                            Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 09 September 2006, 05:12 PM.
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

About the ZPM, I feel for it, I really do. I can't believe they wasted it. They should have found another ZPM before attempting such a thing.

I mean, the difficulty and trouble SG1 put into finding the ZPM alone is worth keeping the ZPM.
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan
                                Another thing I was going to mention was that SG-1 and Atlantis tonight both relied on silly, childish type humor. Ronan and Teyla cracking up: "you had underwear on your head!" What is this, Boy Meets World?
                                Actually I think picturing McKay with underwear on his head is enough to make anyone laugh-even Ronon.

Comment

Working...
                                X