Sanctuary (114)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emi
    The most interesting thing to me about this episode is Chaya/Athar's choice to protect her people from the Wraith for all time. How far do you think the protection goes? Does Athar solve all their major problems (sickness, hunger, etc), or does she only protect them from the Wraith with perhaps some spiritual guidance thrown in?
    i think the sickness and hunger bit traces back to her powers
    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
      I haven't seen the episode, but I do hope it was more than just "Did Shep boink the hottie or not?"
      From what I have heard, the consensus on this episode seems to be, "Chaya was one hot chick!"

I have not seen this episode, but do I really want to look forward to an episode devoted to a "hot chick" making out with Sheppard (who seems like he comes across as rather "easy" himself)? Uh. . nope.

Does "Sanctuary" give us more info on the Ancients (other than they look " hot")? Do we learn any more about the Wraith (other than the CGI was excellent)? Is the overall SGA storyarc developed/expanded in any way? Or is this truly only "Sheppard makes out with hot alien chick"?

Yes, I'll probably cave in and watch the episode whenever SciFi decides to show it in the States, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

"Siege", on the other hand, looks really cool!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
        From what I have heard, the consensus on this episode seems to be, "Chaya was one hot chick!"

I have not seen this episode, but do I really want to look forward to an episode devoted to a "hot chick" making out with Sheppard (who seems like he comes across as rather "easy" himself)? Uh. . nope.

Does "Sanctuary" give us more info on the Ancients (other than they look " hot")? Do we learn any more about the Wraith (other than the CGI was excellent)? Is the overall SGA storyarc developed/expanded in any way? Or is this truly only "Sheppard makes out with hot alien chick"?

Yes, I'll probably cave in and watch the episode whenever SciFi decides to show it in the States, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

"Siege", on the other hand, looks really cool!
        this episode does not directly further the story line in anyway, it might have some sort of impact in the future, but we dont know yet. we learn a little about the ancients, and we learn nothing about the wraith. oh and we discover a new machine that scans lifesigns for any irregulaties
        Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
        Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
        Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
        Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

Oy.

Well, I guess the streak of great episodes had to end sometime. This ranks as my least favorite episode of the season, along with Childhood's End. No, actually, I liked Childhood's End better.

Enough with the Captain Kirk references already. Three times in this episode alone, FCOL! Sheppard is not Kirk, nor should he be. Just let the character develop on his own, without constantly throwing in those clumpsy lines that are supposed to be funny, but really - not so much. I just hope the writers have gotten it out of their system by now.

I wish they would go at least one episode without having McKay react to impending doom in his trademark way. Well, that's a bit unfair, because they have, and in previous episodes I haven't had any objections to it at all. Hide and Seek was funny. 38 Minutes was early on in the season and didn't hammer the point home. Hot Zone was very poignant. But in this one it was overdone. I think we've got it by now, thank you.

What was good:

- Weir's "Of course he has."

- Teyla's line about the late night picnic. The picnic itself was cringe-worthy, but her delivery was pretty funny.

- The "NO!" in unison, when Sheppard asks if he and Chaya could have a moment to themselves in the conference room.

~

Every season is allowed to have at least one episode that isn't up to the usual standard, especially since we're still in the first season. I think they've spoiled me with the last four episodes which, IMO, were amazing. Now, let's get back on track with Before I Sleep.
          Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

The guy who wrote this ep, Alan Brennert, has also written for Enterprise. Not that that means anything, necessarily, just thought I'd throw that out there.

If you ask me, some of the characterizations in this ep were WAY off. Alan has no idea what McKay's about and not much clue with Sheppard, either. Weir was OK, but I spent most of the ep giggling at her just 'cause I kept remembering Torri at the convention this past weekend. Chaya came off as very flat and ininteresting, too. I guess Sexy Alien Females don't need any personality. And can I just complain AGAIN about the stereotype of women who seem to base all of their decisions on sex?? Can't we do something of our own volition WITHOUT it having to be about some hot guy?? *grinds teeth* Sorry, but that's getting to be a sore point with me, particularly in the Stargate universe...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              The guy who wrote this ep, Alan Brennert, has also written for Enterprise. Not that that means anything, necessarily, just thought I'd throw that out there.
              Ugh. I gave up on "Enterprise" because of its poor portrayal of women characters.

If I want to watch "The OC", I'll turn on Fox. When I want intelligent science fiction, hopefully SG1 & SGA will be there for me.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

That might explain a few things, yes.

Agreed on the characterization being off. In some ways the script felt as a rehash of sorts, with the romance being thrown in there for the sake of it simply being in there - without any real connection to the storyline.

Now, what was the storyline again? Oh, right, they stumbled upon an Ancient. Somehow, that got lost in there. I wonder why.
                Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

And can I just complain AGAIN about the stereotype of women who seem to base all of their decisions on sex?? Can't we do something of our own volition WITHOUT it having to be about some hot guy?? *grinds teeth* Sorry, but that's getting to be a sore point with me, particularly in the Stargate universe...

<shrugs> No more so than that male, Orlin.

It's true, sometimes they do go the sexual attraction route, but not every time; what about that cute doctor from PtW?
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    <shrugs> No more so than that male, Orlin.
                    OK, then people in general. And I'm not saying ALL decisions are based on sex, obviously, but Character A's attraction to Character B has been a pivotal plot point on a number of occasions in SG-1 and I'd prefer not to see it become common on Atlantis as well.

Comment

When girls swoon it's called thunking...when guys swoon it's called being a pig.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I was actually kind of surprised Chaya didn't come down with something while on Atlantis, but I guess her being an Ancient protects her. Or are we to understand that ALL of her people are basically invincible to germs/disease?
                        She was ascended, for one.....
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                          Walks by with a tollan phase shifter and grabs the girl. Bye bye
                          #$%%$^ tollan phase shifter!!
                          sigpic
                          Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                          "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Very nice episode. The Star Trek references are starting to get a bit much, but they are actually pretty funny most of the time, so who cares.

It's awesome that they meant an Ancient. I thought it would be until at least Season 2.

That last episode was tough to top, but this one did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                              She was ascended, for one.....
                              and the left the Sol system to get away from the plague. We can safely assume that they didn't bring it with them.

Comment

It had better connect up with a future storyline. I didn't sit through that garbage just for a one-off ep never to be referenced again. However, if it IS going to be referenced in the future, I think it would have been nice if it had been a strong, memorable story with oodles of development and off-hand comments which eventually come to have significance rather than this predictible dreck-fest of re-hashed Trek plots and regurgitated SG-1 information.

this was a good episodes people. sure we didnt learn anything really new about the ancients but i think this is a good reference to show hey some ancients are around....and maybe in a future episodes they will go back.

they are going to give away everything in one episodes...they probably have a few season to spread this out. if they told you everything now, what fun would that be
                                come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Working...
                                X