Sanctuary (114)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Icegod
    can ascended ancients even have sex? Or a child for that matter.
    Probably not a child, sex is a different thing, but seeing as how Athar can take *human* form, I'm betting she can do both very much like any human can.

Oh, and if you call Sharing "sex", what about Carter and Orlin?
    Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient-Jaron
      The other thing is "Nou ani Anquitas". They did write that, although I suppose we could have botched the translation. Although, a person with the Ancient's knowledge did aid in the translation (Jack, The Fifth Race)
      Anquitas would be latin for Ancient, I'm guessing?

The word Anquitas was probably what (in the language of the Ancients) their race was called.

And when Latin was formed off of Ancient, the word Anquiatas was changed to mean 'old' (Ancient!)

Tada!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gothann
        Although your reasoning is sound, it's also flawed. McKay is on the Gene therapy, yet he couldn't manipulate his own reality in Home. He also didn't attract Chaya, either (of course, it might be because of his annoying rants at her "beliefs").

Though, I'm quite sure that Sheppard having the gene has nothing to do with the sharing. The gene seems to only be an ID marker which is recognizable by ATA machines, with the mind-control being part of the technology tapping into the minds of the user.

Here's the last part. Chaya seems overjoyed to be in the presence of Sheppard, it almost seems purely emotional...
        Beckett has it too. But he's not as good at it as Shep. And as for Rodney. He has it but it was injected into him. Which still actually bugs me. I preferred Rodney not having it. But that aside. Because he wasn't BORN with it. I'm of the belief Rodney won't have the same abilities as someone who was born with it. It can't be the same as it is for Shep or even Beckett. To me it's a bit like getting and organ transplant. You can have an absolute match from a donor but it's still not the same as the one you're born with naturally.

Comment

Before people start quoting me and talk about harcesis, I'm guessing any child born from Athar's human form (Chaya) would be human, mortal, and whatnot.

Originally posted by Merlin7
          Beckett has it too. But he's not as good at it as Shep. And as for Rodney. He has it but it was injected into him. Which still actually bugs me. I preferred Rodney not having it. But that aside. Because he wasn't BORN with it. I'm of the belief Rodney won't have the same abilities as someone who was born with it. It can't be the same as it is for Shep or even Beckett. To me it's a bit like getting and organ transplant. You can have an absolute match from a donor but it's still not the same as the one you're born with naturally.
          Let me state that Athar didn't warm up to Beckett in the least, keeping her act together and being semi-cold to him, while acting all curious about everything.

As for the gene, though Sheppard can "control" things better, that's mostly due to his profession. He's military, and focusing on flying a ship or firing a shot is quite easy for someone who's a pilot. Beckett was extremely scared of the chair when he used it and is very unsecure about himself, leading to instability in the mind-control of ATA devices. I'm pretty sure that if the gene was the cause for the manipulation of the realities in Home, Beckett would have been able to as well.
          Enter my game site...

Comment

Before people start quoting me and talk about harcesis, I'm guessing any child born from Athar's human form (Chaya) would be human, mortal, and whatnot.

Let me state that Athar didn't warm up to Beckett in the least, keeping her act together and being semi-cold to him, while acting all curious about everything.

As for the gene, though Sheppard can "control" things better, that's mostly due to his profession. He's military, and focusing on flying a ship or firing a shot is quite easy for someone who's a pilot. Beckett was extremely scared of the chair when he used it and is very unsecure about himself, leading to instability in the mind-control of ATA devices. I'm pretty sure that if the gene was the cause for the manipulation of the realities in Home, Beckett would have been able to as well.
            yea but i dont think that the manipulation in home had anything to do with the gene, the fog ppl werent ancients by any means, if they were they wouldve said something because they could read the team's minds. the pilot theory might have something to do with shep's natural ability to focus and control things, but ultimately we dont really know why shep is special, he just is.
            Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
            Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
            Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
            Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

Believe it or not...what you're saying just leads me to believe all the more that ..or maybe I should say HOPE that... TPTB do something with Sheppard and his Gene. And that maybe what happened with him and Chaya at that end is a hint of things that might come in that regard. I still believe her attraction to John went deeper than a physical thing or the desire to not be alone. THanks for the thoughts.

Comment

Haven't read the thread yet so forgive any repetition, but by golly, did I hate this ep! I'm sorry, but just because McKay runs around screaming "Kirk" every five minutes doesn't make it OK that they are pulling a Kirk. Unless it's done well, it's absolutely the LOWEST form of episode "development" and IMO, it wasn't done well.

I didn't like the characterizations of McKay and Sheppard in Sanctuary. I know McKay can be a bit of a jerk sometimes, but it isn't necessary to continuously hammer the point home and while Sheppard can be a bit stubborn, I found him unecessarily self-centered and self-serving with his blatant pursuit of the "alien priestess".

Chaya herself didn't interest me at all. She's too much like other characters we've already met and I don't think she adds anything to the story. A handful of dialogue here or there that might turn out to be important later, but that could easily have been handed in a more tactful and intelligent manner.

For someone who didn't even know what Ascension was, Sheppard showed absolutely no reaction at all to his girlfriend turning into a glowy octopus. Knowing something happens and seeing it happen are two different things and it might have been nice to see Shep react with something other than a blank, dopey look on his face.

We already know that the Ancients have a "hands off" pocily, we already know that they're capable of great destruction when they put their minds to it (if you'll pardon the pun), we already know that they ban anyone who breaks the rules and personally, I always knew there were Ancients still floating around the Pegasus galaxy. I don't see what we've really gained from this except visual confirmation that the Ancients ARE still here and that in Chaya's case, it isn't going to do us any good.

Comment

You made some good points shadow as always , I liked this episode but I agree with you it could have been better and we learnt nothing new expect that the ancients are still around. Now what would make this episode better is if it's connected to future story arcs which I have feeling it might be.
                  "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
                    You made some good points shadow as always , I liked this episode but I agree with you it could have been better and we learnt nothing new expect that the ancients are still around. Now what would make this episode better is if it's connected to future story arcs which I have feeling it might be.
                    It had better connect up with a future storyline. I didn't sit through that garbage just for a one-off ep never to be referenced again. However, if it IS going to be referenced in the future, I think it would have been nice if it had been a strong, memorable story with oodles of development and off-hand comments which eventually come to have significance rather than this predictible dreck-fest of re-hashed Trek plots and regurgitated SG-1 information.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      It had better connect up with a future storyline. I didn't sit through that garbage just for a one-off ep never to be referenced again. However, if it IS going to be referenced in the future, I think it would have been nice if it had been a strong, memorable story with oodles of development and off-hand comments which eventually come to have significance rather than this predictible dreck-fest of re-hashed Trek plots and regurgitated SG-1 information.

LOL, Hey shadow I think TPTB have got the message, don’t hurt them now . I’m waiting for what looks to be like the best episode of the season next week.

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        I haven't seen the episode, but I do hope it was more than just "Did Shep boink the hottie or not?"

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                          I haven't seen the episode, but I do hope it was more than just "Did Shep boink the hottie or not?"
                          Oh, there was more to it than that. There was also McKay running around, waving his arms and screaming "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Comment

The most interesting thing to me about this episode is Chaya/Athar's choice to protect her people from the Wraith for all time. How far do you think the protection goes? Does Athar solve all their major problems (sickness, hunger, etc), or does she only protect them from the Wraith with perhaps some spiritual guidance thrown in?

Comment

Chaya was sentenced to protect her people for all time... and she's also pretty much doomed them all to a permanent existence on her planet. They're so healthy, and so non-violent and so... culturally naive that they wouldn't last very long if NOT under her protection. The potential for diseases alone... I was actually kind of surprised Chaya didn't come down with something while on Atlantis, but I guess her being an Ancient protects her. Or are we to understand that ALL of her people are basically invincible to germs/disease? That still leaves the fact that it's an unsafe universe out there and not everyone is so 100% goodly and graceful as Athar's people.

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                                Mackay was also screaming the fact that “she is alien impostor but she is pretty so perttyyyyyyy, now step aside Major Shapperd she is coming with me tonight."

Comment

Working...
                                X