No announcement yet.

Rising, Part 1 (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i remember seeing the tv commercial for the first ep. it had the city underwater and mckay saying " so the stories are true, a great city thast sank during a war" and i was like OMFG! STARGATE ATLANTIS HELL YEAH

Comment

I'm a little slow on this one, but FINALLY got my hands on the DVD of the first season and starting watching last night (yay for my local library having seasons 1-4!). I'm not usually a fan of spin off type shows, they're just a hard sell for me. But, Atlantis is definitely growing on me...I like the dynamics of the characters (McKay is GREAT! lol) And the Ancients are intriguing....I'm anxious to watch more!
      My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
      sigpic

Comment

I re-watched Rising the other day, and my enjoyment level of it has really dropped. Do i know why, well not really i guess there could be many a factors that play into it; other shows that i've watched recently or things that have been said recently or maybe the amount of times i've seen it (which i dont think is that much). Its gone from something i use to really enjoy to something very generic. I hope this feeling changes as i continue to re-watch season 1.

Comment

I love SGA. My one question about this episode is how does the whole power drain thing work. Rodney says that the shield would have held up for hundreds of years if they had never come, but because they came and turned the lights on, (and I say that in the all inclusive sense) all the power was going fast. but later in the episode, they get all the lights running with their naquita generators (or however you spell that.) my question is, how can they run the lights, but not the shield, which obviously takes less power?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. - Unknown

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
          - Unknown

Comment

it wasnt just the lights

when the sensors sensed them in the city, it turned on the lights, air circulation, air purification, computers, sensors, door controls, desalination tanks, transporters etc. if the city was just using the shield and then all these turned on at once, it wouldnt go to well

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              it wasnt just the lights

when the sensors sensed them in the city, it turned on the lights, air circulation, air purification, computers, sensors, door controls, desalination tanks, transporters etc. if the city was just using the shield and then all these turned on at once, it wouldnt go to well
              Still, they can run all of these, but they can't run the shield at minimum power, by turning things off?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. - Unknown

- Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Xprojectd24 View Post
                Still, they can run all of these, but they can't run the shield at minimum power, by turning things off?
                do you realise how much force is exerted on the shield at that depth? quite a lot and there was very little power left anyway

and they didnt know how to turn things off so they couldnt

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                  do you realise how much force is exerted on the shield at that depth? quite a lot and there was very little power left anyway

and they didnt know how to turn things off so they couldnt
                  you are missing my point. rodney said that the shield would have held for another couple hundred years.

- Unknown

Comment

you are missing my point. rodney said that the shield would have held for another couple hundred years.
                    Without people on Atlantis, I'm guessing power requirements would have only been to re-circulate air and the shield and (we latter find out) Weir's pod and power to swatch out ZMPs every appox. 2,500 years. With a group of 60 people or some coming to Atlantis a lot more systems must come back online: lights, air filters, temperature control, weapon systems, shield control, etc had to come back online and be use-able. That draws power and caused the ZPM to fail as all systems are drawing tons of power at the same time to boot up as people walk into sections.

We don't know what we are doing and that causes problems/destruction. Sound familiar?
                    WraithQueenH

"You are more like Wraith than you know."
                    "I'm not sure I like the sound of that."
                    "There is much about Wraith that you do not know, Sheppard."
                    - John Sheppard and Todd, "Common Ground"

"We all agree the Ancients were pretty screwed up. All the ones I met were arrogant and condescending and not for good reason. Now they made giant mistakes and never fixed them." - John Sheppard

Comment

Originally posted by WraithQueenH View Post
                      With a group of 60 people or some coming to Atlantis a lot more systems must come back online: lights, air filters, temperature control, weapon systems, shield control, etc had to come back online and be use-able.
                      yet the naquatas were able to handle the entire load except for the shield until they were able to get another zpm.

- Unknown

Comment

will introduce SGA to a friend tonight, and start of course with the pilot! will tell u how he react. he is a random sg1 fan, not as hardcore, as i am
                        sigpic

Comment

yet the naquatas were able to handle the entire load except for the shield until they were able to get another zpm.
                          You make a very good point. I'll throw out a few things though.

1. Just from memory I think he said 'years more' not hundreds of years.
                          2. After the city rises, McKay says they needn't worry about air because the atmosphere was breathable. So maybe they didn't have the necessary power with the naquada generators to handle full life support.
                          3. There are probably a number of support systems that were activated when they arrived that they didn't have active after the ZPMs blanked.
                          4. McKay didn't know how to power down anything, they were brand new there.
                          Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

I feel that the Wraith are an another galaxy vampires.
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                              I feel that the Wraith are an another galaxy vampires.
                              You're surely the first person to make that connection.
                              Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Just re-watching SGA from the beginning, and the thing that strikes me most is that the series is 'filmed' in HD. How crisp the images are and the wonderful special visual effects. I can't say enough about them - and of course they just get better and better.

As for the Sheppard/Weir 'ship... I just can't see it any more - and belive me, I was one of the biggest Shweir shippers out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X