No announcement yet.

Rising, Part 1 (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOVE ATLANTIS! It just started yesterday in ISRAEL and i just loved the Pilot!

Just one q - How Daniel found out the Gate address for Atlantis?

Comment

Loved it great start to a new show

question - there was another cut??

Comment

That depends on what version you saw. The original, first viewing 2-parter on TV had everything in it. When the eps got separated during the repeat viewing cycles, the Sci-Fi channel chopped out a bunch of things and it seemed like they added more commercials somehow.

Some storyline details were important to some of us who saw the original broadcast. But to people who haven't seen it, what got cut out - might not be noticed. Just forgotten- out of sight = out of mind.

Hoping the DVD has the FULL version.

Comment

I didn't realize all those cuts! I'm feeling a bit of a sense of betrayal.. lol. But, seriously hope the Rising DVD (out next week! -in the US anyway- yayy!!) has the full version..

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
          "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
          www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

Weilr: Rodney your're embarresing me..
            Rodney: Ive never been more excited in my entire life!

That was the best line of the whole series!!!!!! so funny

Comment

One thing about this episode always irked me.

They apparently removed the rings from the outpost. I mean, the they put the elevator down had to be the same one they used for the matter stream, and I looked again, but the rings were quite absent from the floor.

Why were they using an elevator at all? It cant be that difficult to get rings, I mean, we've got Seth's old place (at LEAST 2 sets), we've seen them in at least one Egyptian temple, Offworld we've studied a few.....We should have been able to pick one up anywhere.
              sigpic

Comment

The outpost never had rings. Rings can work two ways; either they transport to another set down on the ground or they can transport straight bellow the ship. That's what they did in lost city they where transported right under the ship.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                  The outpost never had rings. Rings can work two ways; either they transport to another set down on the ground or they can transport straight bellow the ship. That's what they did in lost city they where transported right under the ship.
                  Incorrect.

(I've been on vacation up until yesterday, or I would have replied earlier)

Here you can clearly see the ring platform open during transport, and in the second shot, the ring platform in its idle state.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Now that SGA is *finally* airing on syndication channels, I watched "Rising" to see which version got shown. Edited (cut scenes) one. Guess TPTB don't trust some viewers. (Well, if no one buys SGA's season one for me for Christmas, I got my own gift money saved to get it myself! First generation DVD's are much clearer and crispier - quality wise than any VCR. And videos break too easily, so, the better choice is a DVD.)

Anyways...
                    after all this time, tonight's the first time that I just noticed in the background behind Ayiana (the ancient found in SG1's "Frozen" episode) ~ the magic chair of the ancients ~ in the very first scene of "Rising".

I've seen the ep probably more than 10 times, and never noticed that before. ...probably was too preoccupied and focused on pleasantly being surprised to seeing Ayiana and Apophis' host, and the strained communication between them. Plus, I *really* liked their (costumes) outfits, as well as the snowflake designs in the room/city...

Comment

I've finally had a moment to watch my shiny new Atlantis DVDs... yay! Aren't those subtitles a handy thing? I must've seen this episode over half a dozen times and I still miss bits of dialogue. The plan is to go through the whole lot episode by episode and do reviews for each of them

I liked Atlantis right from the beginning. That sense of energy and foreboding was evident. I also liked the feeling of community while still holding on to the trademark Stargate humour.
                      Is "Rising" a double entendre... for both the city and for its reluctant lead male? The city rises from its watery refuge on the one hand, while Sheppard, the most reluctant member of the expedition sheds aside his lack of enthusiasm and rises to the occasion. He's attitude is very telling... reluctant, apprehensive, nervous... ostracized by the military, hence somewhat resentful. But the man of action is never far away and kicks into gear once all hell breaks lose.

What really struck me watching it this time round after having caught up on Seasons 7 and 8, is how much Jack and Daniel have really changed and yet in the early scenes in Atlantis there are moments of the old Jack and Daniel coming into play. The earnest archaeologist, the snarky and yet resourceful Jack reminding us of what was and bidding us, as it were, good bye...

The early Teyla was interesting... much more in her element among her people and being Athosian... The later Teyla, on the other hand, has adjusted too quickly to earth culture and has become less striking. Her character distinctiveness has been diluted since then and replaced by a half-hearted physical distinctiveness.

The Wraith are an ugly mob to say the least... Lacking the elegance of the Goa'uld but no less cheesy... But to me the villains aren't as important as the heroes.

All in all, a good strong start to the spin off...
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

what a pilot to atlantis. great start to the spin off series of sg1

Comment

Oh my gosh! I just watched the Rising Commentary with Joe Flanigan and Martin Wood. They said that the Rising starts with these two ancients. A man and a woman. Man leaves and a woman stays behind. Anyway, they said that the woman was the same as in SG-1's Frozen! I never realized that

Comment

Tonight the Rising Part I aired for the first time in Canada on non-premium channels, aka 'Space'. Not being able to procure my Atlantis DVD's yet, I was really looking forward to watching the pilot again, and now I feel a bit gipped. Ok, so I know that the Rising is a fairly long episode, but did they really need to cut so much of part one out? I mean, they cut out half the scenes in the SGC before the team went out to Atlantis. No Simon, no Beckett with his mom. I thought those scenes added a bit more humanity to the characters. I understand that the episode needs to fit nicely into its 42 minutes, but having seen the episode before in its entirety I don't really think it's fair to those who have never seen it. Anyone new to Atlantis might get just a wee bit confused in Home and Intruder, basically because of the lack of Simon. Until I'm able to get my DVD's, I'm going to keep watching, and praying that no more episodes suffer the same fate.

Anyways, that's just how I feel. Please feel free to comment.

Comment

Just watching the commentary again and noticed something cool - about 15mins into the episode, Joe and Martin are discussing Sheppard's past (re: Afganistan) and Martin makes a gag about him being in Vietnam, to which Joe makes a reference to "Holiday in Cambodia". Now, we know Sheppard is a Johnny Cash fan... but is Joe a Dead Kennedys fan? LOL

-- Cynicatlantis - home of BeanieLantis, and other such silliness --

Comment

Originally posted by GateByte
                                Tonight the Rising Part I aired for the first time in Canada on non-premium channels, aka 'Space'. Not being able to procure my Atlantis DVD's yet, I was really looking forward to watching the pilot again, and now I feel a bit gipped. Ok, so I know that the Rising is a fairly long episode, but did they really need to cut so much of part one out? I mean, they cut out half the scenes in the SGC before the team went out to Atlantis. No Simon, no Beckett with his mom. I thought those scenes added a bit more humanity to the characters. I understand that the episode needs to fit nicely into its 42 minutes, but having seen the episode before in its entirety I don't really think it's fair to those who have never seen it. Anyone new to Atlantis might get just a wee bit confused in Home and Intruder, basically because of the lack of Simon. Until I'm able to get my DVD's, I'm going to keep watching, and praying that no more episodes suffer the same fate.

Anyways, that's just how I feel. Please feel free to comment.
                                Yea, things like that are just always such a disappointment. I don't live in Canada, but I feel your pain! ..just wanted to sympathize I guess, since you made completely valid points and Rising is my fave ep of SGA

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
                                "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
                                www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

Working...
                                X