No announcement yet.

Rising, Part 1 (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok i just wanna throw something out there for anyone re-watching or watching this episode for the first time . In the opening scene Jack and Sheppard are flying over the glaciers in a helicopter . First of all its a civilian chopper and second it has a Canadian registration number C-FMCL. Why would two American military officers be flying a Canadian civilian chopper in Antarctica .

Comment

Originally posted by maquis View Post
      Ok i just wanna throw something out there for anyone re-watching or watching this episode for the first time . In the opening scene Jack and Sheppard are flying over the glaciers in a helicopter . First of all its a civilian chopper and second it has a Canadian registration number C-FMCL. Why would two American military officers be flying a Canadian civilian chopper in Antarctica .
      Filmed in Canada? Canadian produced show? Take your pick
      "Go to hell!"

"Earth first!"

Comment

Maybe it was all that was available at the base they left from.. since it was during the stand up of the IOA it would be reasonable to assume host countries have helos there.

Comment

after seeing teyla and major sheppard.
          carson: why doesnt anything like that happen to me?
          mckay: you just need to get out more.
          carson: we're in another galaxy, how far out can you get?

Comment

Robert Patrick was brillinat in that episode, I love that guy since I first seen Terminator 2.

Comment

I like him more as a baddie than goodie.

Comment

I remember when I first watched this series, I didn't like hardly any of the cast except for Mckay, I thought the characters were written poorly and acted poorly. But this time around I'm watching it in tandem with season 8 and I actually like all the character and am kinda wondering why I thought it was all so terrible before!? But, definitely the second time around everything is better.
                Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Part 1
                  I never get tired of watching the first episode of this great series-my dvd disc of this pilot really grabs me and is becoming worn out.

Weir
                  She is headstrong beautiful and a woman of integrity(I loved how she stood up to Jack about getting Sheppard onto the expidention) and the way she reads the speech to simon is played with a tad bit of sadness/great excitment but also a fear of stepping into the gate and despite her limited time as Stargate Command leader it was great to see that-Torri did a fab job
                  Sheppard
                  He came accross as a good pilot-the way he and jack bonded in the flight to the antarctic base was a great way that they were of similar character-a bit like a father(Jack) and son(John) with jack managing to get john onto the team. He was a brooding strong man but had a deep heart.
                  TBC

Comment

I have no idea where Part 1 ends. Wasn't it always shown together as one long episode? That's how it is on my DVD.

If I were to guess where the break between part one and two would be I'd say right after the city rises.

Now that is a beatifully done piece of work watching Atlantis rise from the ocean! Kudos to the designers and VFX people!

Comment

I have to get use to going to a different section now.

This was a better beginning than the episode that began SG-1.

"Several Million years," I got confused, I forgot when Destiny was launched. I thought they said millions of years. Well we got SGU coming up in 6 months.

The Music was awesome (I bought the soundtrack years ago).

Tomorrow, a (kind of) SG-1 rehash (already).
                      sigpic

Comment

A good strong start to the series. I like the power struggle between the military and non-military forces. It's a pity Sumner had to die so quickly, but necessary in the scheme of things.

Puddlejumpers are brilliant!
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

So here I am in the part of the forum I've ventured rarely, I never really got into SGA, but I'm here with an open mind to revise my opinions, perhaps gain more of an appreciation of this series and see what makes people love it so much!

I ended up watching the whole of 'Rising' as my DVD has it as one long episode.

I have no idea where part two is supposed to start either, so I'll go with the city rising as the end of the first part too!

I recall watching this when it first aired and being really excited about the prospect of finding Atlantis, especially after seeing the wonderful SG-1 season 7 finale 'Lost City'. It was great to see them all set up in the Ancient oupost and studying it avidly.

I liked how Jack actually has a memory of the place with the uncomfortable look he gives the stasis unit!

The city rising from the ocean is I have to say one of the great moments in Stargate for me, wonderfully done effect!

The Atlantis gate is a great work of art, framing a lovely stained glass window behind it. I love the way it works with the lit up glyphs. The imposing set of stairs with the Ancient writing on the risers leading up to more beautiful stained glass windows is a great bit of set design. When I actually saw it for myself on a set visit I was blown away by the quality of the work of the set. It looked as real and solid in RL as it did on screen!

Of all the characters that turned up in the first half I was quite taken by Sheppard's presence from the start with this re-watch. First time round I didn't really notice any of the new characters, didn't really care for them, but Sheppard here was very engaging and I never appreciated that about him really.

McKay seemed to be less of a jerk than he was in SG-1. I suppose it was because he was overwhelmed by what he was experiencing, so didn't have time to be smug and condescending!

Comment

When the Wraith attack Athos is when Part I ends
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                              McKay seemed to be less of a jerk than he was in SG-1. I suppose it was because he was overwhelmed by what he was experiencing, so didn't have time to be smug and condescending!
                              Not to worry. The smug, condescending McKay will be back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                When the Wraith attack Athos is when Part I ends
                                Hmmm. OK.

I think the city rising is a better break naratively speaking. It's almost like the episode switches to a whole new story. The first part is all about saving the city and rising from the ocean (a new dawn) and then the second half is all about the wraith rising from their long slumber (the black cloud).

But I guess it doesn't really matter because the two are woven together seemlessly on the DVD so I doubt I would ever watch it as two separate episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X