Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Yay! And another one, a little more complicated, this time.

"Stupid, arrogant man! You never listen to me!"
    Ty arogantní blbče! Nikdy mě neposlechneš!

BSG.CZ - Your Guide To Battlestar Galactica in Czech.

Comment

Awesome! I'll try and work Zelenka into a bigger part if I can. I think I have some ideas how I can manage it.

Oooo, and how about "Oh, the ego!"

Can ya tell he's fighting with McKay? LOL!

Sorry I'm not doing this all in a batch, I'm coming up with this stuff as I go along. And I really appreciate the help. I'm very very serious about accuracy, and language is one of the most important areas in which to be accurate. Now all I need to do is get someone to translate the Japanese and I'll be halfway there.

Comment

ShadowMatt: Believe or not, I was just ranting today about people not caring about foreign languages used in fanfiction So I'm happy you go and check with people who speak the foreign language

"Oh, the ego!" = "Óó, ego!"
        ZELENKA: You know, you’re not pleasant when you’re like this, McKay.
        McKAY: I’m always like this.
        ZELENKA: My point exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by d3u5
          Ty arogantní blbče! Nikdy mě neposlechneš!
          Hey! thats rude, really. She wanted an exact translation, not exaggeration. We all know you hate McKay, but she didnt ask you to put in your personal feelings.
          "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Exact translation would be pretty crap, you know If you are translating something you can't use exact translation... just think a little bit...

Comment

Originally posted by Icie
              Exact translation would be pretty crap, you know If you are translating something you can't use exact translation... just think a little bit...
              well, arogant man is not exactly swearing, the deus' translation howewer is.

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

No, it's not... but ShadowMatt said it was a fight... well, so why not? Of course we can't know if it was suppose to be an insult (when d3u5 translation would be best one) or just a remark (when my translation might be better than).

Besides for Rodney it wouldn't really matter WHAT Radek says He wouldn't understand anyway, hehe

Comment

I dont think much of both translations, they just sound wayyy too insulting.

Comment

Geeez... stupid, arogant man.... doesn't that sound insulting? It's not possible to translate it in a way it wouldn't be insulting because it IS insulting in English as well...

but if you think you are the best... translate it then!

Comment

Well, it mazbe insulting, but not so much as deus' traslation. Never said i'm the best

Comment

maybe not, but you sound like it... you criticise other people, but when you are asked to do better, you can't do that...

Comment

never said i cant do it either, just still thinking(i'm not a native czech speaker you know, even if i know better czech, then most of the people i know)

Comment

If you can't do it better, than you have no right to criticise... anyone can be "smart" enough to say "that is wrong"...

Both translations I and d3e5 made were correct and since Czech is a language with HUGE vocabulary it's very hard to translate just one sentence without knowing the whole context...

Comment

Hey, i never said i cant do it better, i just need a little bit more thinkning. Well, czech contains about 300 000 words right? English over a milion, but still, you can translate everything correctly with a sense.(Well not everything) Just the word "cool". I've seen tons movies a read tons of books, where in each one there was used a different word for it.

Comment

I don't need an exact translation, but something in a similar spirit is fine. I don't want it to be an agressively awful thing, though. Something in keeping with Radek's personality, something he might actually say.

And as much as Radek and Rodney might fight, they don't HATE each other. I don't think Radek would be getting vulgar/harshly insulting at this point. They're just arguing over which way to go: left or right.

Comment

Working...
                                X