This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    Well, technically, ship is between male/female, and slash is between male/male or female/female, so only two of those are ship and the other is slash No offense meant, but that's the definition, unless that got altered recently.

Myself, I see potential in Sheppard & Teyla and oddly enough, McKay & Weir.
    Yippie! Come join the WeirMcKayShip group at Yahoo! I don't remember the URL off the top of my head, but Yahoo! front page is a good place to start! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Elinor
      . They might put her with the new bloke Ronan Dex or what about Bates!? Love has sometimes blossomed out of dislike
      Remember spoilers please...

Anyway Ford/Teyla could be interesting, Teyla/Bates very intriguing - I did read Sora/Bates story that is so far very very good - I'd go for that pairing but mainly because I like secondary characters and I want Sora back on the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Kip_Cathey_Furlings_are_Cats
        Yippie! Come join the WeirMcKayShip group at Yahoo! I don't remember the URL off the top of my head, but Yahoo! front page is a good place to start! Lol.
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/weirmckayship/

And we have a sister site too, it's 'smut' instead of 'ship' in the url.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/weirmckayship/

And we have a sister site too, it's 'smut' instead of 'ship' in the url.
          Thanks. I get spacey...

Comment

Originally posted by Thek
            *shrugs* Personally, I find both Sheyla and ShepWeir a tad bit force....fun at points, but forced, and laid at the waste side when not.
            I can't say enough things about how very, very true this statement is. Those are my main reasons against Jon & Liz as a pairing. I see the writers giving little touches here and there, the directors giving long looks between them... and it all feels so forced and heaped on that it just doesn't do anything for me.

Now on the McWeir side, I see *chemistry* and I see genuine companionship without anything being forced by the writers or directors.

And so, McWeir all the way. Well, actually, McKay and Carter are my favourite Stargate pair, but McWeir is a very close second
            sigpic
            http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Personally, I'm all for Sheyla. I love the chemistry between John and Teyla. I can't wait to see The Gift. I'm hoping for some great Sheyla moments!!!!

Comment

I'm more into Sheppard/Weir - I don't see any "lust" between them but I do see a great deal of respect and friendship that could easily develop into attraction/relationship. Both are mentally on the same level, whereas Teyla just comes across as immature and sometimes quite selfish. I really lost any feelings for her character in LFP - she was so disrespectful of Sheppard's leadership and then tried to "guilt trip" him into helping her friends. . at this point I really don't care what happens to her character, though at times I felt TPTB were insinuating a Teyla/Ford possibility.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I suspect that people ship for the ones they love...
                  It's a totally subjective exercise it would seem... as everyone can see "ships" with every Tom, Dick and Harriet...

Is there such a thing as a non-shipper, sometimes passive shipper? Please tell me that there is... because I want to be one of those... I don't see romance in every corner of the set but I see POTENTIAL...

Those are my main reasons against Jon & Liz as a pairing. I see the writers giving little touches here and there, the directors giving long looks between them... and it all feels so forced and heaped on that it just doesn't do anything for me.Now on the McWeir side, I see *chemistry* and I see genuine companionship without anything being forced by the writers or directors.And so, McWeir all the way. Well, actually, McKay and Carter are my favourite Stargate pair, but McWeir is a very close second.
                  So what then is chemistry... is it something we "see"? Or is it something developed over time? Because this is a television show I think it is a combination of both. I think it is naive to think that writers and directors do not have a hand in making it happen before our very eyes. Of course there's always the actors and their response to one another. All I can is that I am so relieved that TPTB have refrained in their first season from forcing outright ship in the first season the way they did in the OTHER show.

I like the long looks... I like looking at JF's beautiful face, I like seeing the way his face changes from jocularity to concern to frustration. I like the fact that he doesn't always have to spout off 2000 words a minute for me to know exactly what he's thinking. I like it when he looks at Weir and she looks at him there is a sense of understanding... a connection is made... sympathy, empathy... there is a lot of potential. But it isn't just the long looks, the conversation, the interaction shows connection also.
                  I like Rodney... a lot... but to me he is like a snarky Peter Pan... the little boy who has yet to grow up and finds it difficult make an emotional connection with most people. He deals with fear by snarking... his bark is worse than his bite. That he has respect for Weir is evident, but he doesn't yet connect with her on that sympathetic level... At present, she pulls him in line and he falls in line... to me that is the depth and breadth of their relationship, which is why a number of people see it more as a sibling relationship. I see strong friendship, I see trust but unless Rodney undergoes more change I doubt we'll see long-term companionship.
                  Besides, according to him, he likes dumb blondes..
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
                    And so, McWeir all the way. Well, actually, McKay and Carter are my favourite Stargate pair, but McWeir is a very close second
                    Mmm, for crossovers! Carter, McKay and Weir in same palce - sparks, banter and tension ensues...
                    Now that would be great even though we know Carter is just teasing McKay and there's probably nothing much there on his side either (judging from canon that is - for fanon I like Carter/McKay too btw)

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                      It's a totally subjective exercise it would seem... as everyone can see "ships" with every Tom, Dick and Harriet...

Is there such a thing as a non-shipper, sometimes passive shipper? Please tell me that there is... because I want to be one of those... I don't see romance in every corner of the set but I see POTENTIAL...
                      Yes, there is! Non-shippers do exist, people who don't see romance with every single look or touch. Alas, some fans call them "anti-shippers," but that's their problem.

I can see the potential for possible relationships in Atlantis... but I don't see any 'ship' at this point. They're all a bit too busy with trying to save their skins, plus if you start the romance card, it bogs down the plot (to quote Alastair McLean).

So yes, you can watch the show and not be a shipper, or slasher, or (fill in name of fan fiction genre)

Comment

I've been told I'm a closet anti-shipper. Mostly I want the writers to pick something and stick with it. The inconsistency of Sam/Jack is what killed it for me, even though I liked the ship.

For Atlantis, I'm all for Sheppard/Weir. But my favorite part of that ship is that they're clearly friends. They're comfortable enough with each other that they can actually talk about difficult things, and they have been since Rising. I don't really get that sense of openness from any of the other dyads in the cast. Besides, the chemistry just works. I honestly can't imagine McKay with anyone, let alone Weir, and Teyla falls so flat for me most of the time, even through most of "The Gift", that I can't be bothered to care about her. Though, like FoolishPleasure, I've seen hints of what could be Ford/Teyla, I don't really care one way or the other about that.
                        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                        Last update: 14 April 2006
                        Melyanna's Multimedia
                        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                          I've been told I'm a closet anti-shipper. Mostly I want the writers to pick something and stick with it. The inconsistency of Sam/Jack is what killed it for me, even though I liked the ship.

For Atlantis, I'm all for Sheppard/Weir. But my favorite part of that ship is that they're clearly friends. They're comfortable enough with each other that they can actually talk about difficult things, and they have been since Rising. I don't really get that sense of openness from any of the other dyads in the cast. Besides, the chemistry just works. I honestly can't imagine McKay with anyone, let alone Weir, and Teyla falls so flat for me most of the time, even through most of "The Gift", that I can't be bothered to care about her. Though, like FoolishPleasure, I've seen hints of what could be Ford/Teyla, I don't really care one way or the other about that.
                          I never really got that Weir and Sheppard were friends since Rising, wondering why you say that - just curious and wanting friendly discussion on it.... another point of view and all
                          Obviously they're friends now, most of the main characters seem to be after months on Atlantis.

For me I tend to see it that she felt responsible for his predicament having asked him to come alnog and then as troubled because of tensions between them as leaders (Hotzone for example) and the openess as them sharing things others might perceive as weakness but that as two people is similar positions they could talk about, same with Weir and Teyla though its something never used apart from thay tiny bit in Suspicion.

I do agree they have a sense of openess now that McKay and Weir don't have so far as we see, because McKay doesn't talk about what's bothering him deep down apart from using sarcasm that is. But I get the feeling Weir understands McKay far more than many others, though you can say Carson or Sheppard do too. Just that there's the McKay/Weir friendship that seems to be very deep even with out being open, understanding there depsite not saying so much and that makes me see the potential.

I guess it proves the point about why people ship that was mentioned above; I like McKay and Weir more than most characters and I ship for them too. It's kind of interesting the idea people ship for who they identify with - certainly fun. I mean I like McKay most so I'd be very happy for Shep/Weir if there was McKay pining away in the background. Which proves the whole thing even more I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                            I never really got that Weir and Sheppard were friends since Rising, wondering why you say that - just curious and wanting friendly discussion on it.... another point of view and all
                            Obviously they're friends now, most of the main characters seem to be after months on Atlantis.

For me I tend to see it that she felt responsible for his predicament having asked him to come alnog and then as troubled because of tensions between them as leaders (Hotzone for example) and the openess as them sharing things others might perceive as weakness but that as two people is similar positions they could talk about, same with Weir and Teyla though its something never used apart from thay tiny bit in Suspicion.

I do agree they have a sense of openess now that McKay and Weir don't have so far as we see, because McKay doesn't talk about what's bothering him deep down apart from using sarcasm that is. But I get the feeling Weir understands McKay far more than many others, though you can say Carson or Sheppard do too. Just that there's the McKay/Weir friendship that seems to be very deep even with out being open, understanding there depsite not saying so much and that makes me see the potential.

I guess it proves the point about why people ship that was mentioned above; I like McKay and Weir more than most characters and I ship for them too. It's kind of interesting the idea people ship for who they identify with - certainly fun. I mean I like McKay most so I'd be very happy for Shep/Weir if there was McKay pining away in the background. Which proves the whole thing even more I guess.
                            Aha! the other "purpleyin" on the forum... and that's all I'm going to say about my name.

shipwise, I find Shep/Weir interesting, goes without saying for me, basically cos I find the pairing sexy. But 'yin, we don't sound so far apart here, cos I would buy Shep/Weir with McKay pining. It also depends how you define 'ship. If you mean friendship that can get all profound and spiritual, yes I could see McWeir. If you mean, romantic relationship, I kind of can't quite see that.

But McKay is close on my favourite character, in fact he might be, I just think to give him a relationship would kind of neuter him, I'd be quite perturbed if they had him settle down on the show. If he got some regular sex he might stop being so entertaining.

Sheyla makes me want to hurl. But I've said that about 50 million times. And you all know that. I make no bones about it and offer no apologies for that. It's just my opinion. MF put it really well "... terrified of the unnatural chemistry" was how she put it. Yep, I'm terrified of it. I'd have to say bye bye to Atlantis, if they pull that one on me.

I'm not adverse to the writers keeping it all pretty much open, so we can all play in our respective sandboxes and keep it nice. Does that make me a non-shipper? Anyhow, no ship is better than badly written ship any day of the week, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily

You see, here's where I run into difficulty. I'm passive like you EL, on the actual show. I don't see romance in every corner and I like to see the potential, and if it doesn't get any further than that then that's fine by me. I can read (and write) fanfic and play with it, talk about it, etc etc.

The problem is, when ship is written really badly, and I don’t just mean there’s a lack of chemistry between the actors, I mean it’s clumsily written and just awful. B5 springs to mind of an example where this did not happen. John and Delenn was a great ship, I loved it. It was well done and was part of the storyline. The chemistry between the two actors wasn’t that great tho (and before any J&D shippers jump me I just want to say I loved the two together I really did). Then look at the awful car crash that was Sam and Jack ship in Stargate. Now before anyone jumps me again, I was a S&J shipper before the awful diabolicalness that was the Pete story line, that whole clumsy attempt at whatever it was an attempt at, just switched me right off it. However, even in the midst of my passionate S&J phase, I was quite happy to have an “open ending” where it could be left to my imagination.
                              Spoiler:
                              Pete changed all that. I just wanted him to go. And thank god he did in the end.

So I’m back to the open scenario thing again. Does that make me a passive shipper? yeah why not.

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                                Aha! the other "purpleyin" on the forum... and that's all I'm going to say about my name.

shipwise, I find Shep/Weir interesting, goes without saying for me, basically cos I find the pairing sexy. But 'yin, we don't sound so far apart here, cos I would buy Shep/Weir with McKay pining. It also depends how you define 'ship. If you mean friendship that can get all profound and spiritual, yes I could see McWeir. If you mean, romantic relationship, I kind of can't quite see that.

But McKay is close on my favourite character, in fact he might be, I just think to give him a relationship would kind of neuter him, I'd be quite perturbed if they had him settle down on the show. If he got some regular sex he might stop being so entertaining.

Sheyla makes me want to hurl. But I've said that about 50 million times. And you all know that. I make no bones about it and offer no apologies for that. It's just my opinion. MF put it really well "... terrified of the unnatural chemistry" was how she put it. Yep, I'm terrified of it. I'd have to say bye bye to Atlantis, if they pull that one on me.

I'm not adverse to the writers keeping it all pretty much open, so we can all play in our respective sandboxes and keep it nice. Does that make me a non-shipper? Anyhow, no ship is better than badly written ship any day of the week, as far as I'm concerned.
                                Other purpleyin...?

On the McKay/Weir I like the friendship and I'll be happy even if there's never any more, as long as we get some friendship storylines for them because the friendship it definitely there and it strikes me as quite meaningful considering this is McKay.

Of course I'd be happy if there was romantic ship on the show - but I'd never want it to be easy, where's the fun in that? I'm not sure I enjoy settled McWeir in fic and even if was like that then Rodney still needs his snark!

I guess I just see that Elizabeth understands him well and can tame him a little (she calms him down, hushes him with one word etc) and so I could certainly see his relationship with her as more too, especially on his side, hence the happiness with any McKay pining.

There's also that in her own way Elizabeth hides her feelings (and I'd say John, Teyla too - not in a relationship way but generally they all do about their fears, and her for Simon and more personal things - Carson being one of those who doesn't hide stuff at all!) so I could see why there might not be much showing from her side so far apart from obvious care and concern that could be friendship or showing a little more if you want to interpret it as that.

To be honest if they do Shep/Weir on the show I won't be interested apart from how it develops Elizabeth, and maybe a little on John if we get background etc. I guess ultimately I want McKay/Weir in some way (even unrequited, UST or only friendship) because there's plenty of room for angst - anyone having a relationship with Rodney isn't going to find it easy, there's got to be lots of issues he has and add in the problems anyone has with having a relationship with her as leader and the issue of her being higher in command and there's tons of angst potential! I just want rodney angst, don't I? Rather evil of me.

So I can very well see that my preference for McWeir is a combination of which characters I like and what I'd want from the show in terms of relationships they show.

I like McKay, I like the friendship into something more idea, I like complexity and angst, the problem of Elizabeth being the leader and Rodney having issues... couple that with liking watching scenes and the banter between her and Rodney and also seeing a good friendship there which might be more for him - and hey presto that's probably why I go for McWeir!

I'd love to hear what it is that makes you and others go for Shep/Weir (apart from the aforementioned friendship, openess and chemistry).

Comment

Working...
                                X