This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
    What is a "family group"? Is that an American thing?

When I say I'd love to see a gay relationship on the show, I don't mean McKay and Sheppard or Teyla and Weir. Someone in the background would be fine. It wouldn't have to be in our faces all the time. Just some recognition that it exists.

(All my not-so-humble opinion, of course. :-) )

Yea, its more of an American thing and may be Canadian, But I don't know if they have family groups there.

I want to see a show where there is some kind of gay relationship, as its real life...I too would like it to be recognised.

For me as we all know Teyla/Sheppard are going to happen...Peter Grodin and McKay...I don't know why but that's just me....
    Spoiler:
    too bad they killed him off...why?!

If they were to do a gay relationship and it was very low key...but still there...I wouldn't mind, but a show which shows gay couples deserve respect JMO.

macktheknife-each to their own.

You know I have come across a few Stev/Sheppard fics...creepy very creepy.....

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

A very big American thing.

Some of the more...scary conservative ones...actualy tried to petition to get Buffy and Angel off cable because they....eeer solicistated "demonic, evil, and sensual ways"

They are also the ones that get Harry Potter banned from school libaries because it "teaches Witchcraft."
      *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

"Family group" is very similar to "family values", a highly-charged political term often promoted by politicians (generally conservative) during campaign seasons. Family values promote one definition of a family; a married man and woman with children, with undertones that the man is the head of the family and generally earns all or most of the income. This single definition subtly implies that other familes, such as single moms or dads raising kids or other relatives such as grandparents raising children, as lacking compared to a married man and woman. Those that promote family values tend to be strongly anti-homosexual, meaning they are against gay marriage and adoption of children by gay couples. They also tend to be anti-abortion, promoting adoption instead, and also may be anti-birth control.

The term family values are also used to fight excessive sex/violence/drug use in films, TV, and video games. People who are pro-family values tend to push the government for more control over the media to protect the children, rather than leaving that responsibility with the parents. Sex education in public schools is also a big controversy, with the pro-family value side strongly against any education, or promoting abstinence-only education.

*Whew* Hope that helped. And with that, back to the topic at hand!

The major ships for Atlantis so far seem to be Sheppard/Weir, Sheppard/Teyla, McKay/Weir, and Sheppard/McKay, so I'll give my opinion on all of them.

There have been plently of moments and looks that have hinted at Sheppard/Weir. Unfortunately, that relationship just doesn't appeal to me and I've had a hard time pinpointing exactly why that is. Perhaps it's because I see them as sort of a Jack-Sam lite; leading man/woman and boss/subordinant, and I would like TPTB to try something new. Perhaps it's because Sheppard seems like the type that always get the girl anyway (heck, look at Sanctuary!). Maybe I just haven't fully warmed up to Sheppard's character yet (but there are plently of fans who have! *grin*)

There are inklings of Sheppard/Teyla, but I don't see more than that yet. I largely blame that on the poor characterization of Teyla so far this season, and I may change my mind if we get more background or development for her next season (hope we do!). Oddly, I see some potential with Ford/Teyla...

I have to admit, I'm leaning strongly toward McKay and Weir. McKay has so many barriers up and it would be fascinating to see Weir break through them. It has the potential to be an interesting, complex relationship. Right now TPTB have done a fabulous job painting them as Really Good Friends (TM), since they seem to be so comfortable around each other. It will be up to the writers to decide whether that's where the relationship stays or if it develops into something more.

Regarding Sheppard/McKay, I think it's an interesting pairing. I have absolutely no problem with slash on Atlantis, but I'll fall out of my chair in shock if TPTB are daring enough to start a slash relationship with the two main characters on the show. Most likely, if we see any homosexual relationships (which I hope we do) they will be between minor characters on the show.

Comment

Thank you all for the explanation about family groups! That sounds scary. ;-)

McKay has so many barriers up and it would be fascinating to see Weir break through them.
          Oh, absolutely! And I think he's already opened up a little. I hated him with a passion on SG-1, but right now, on Atlantis, he's my favorite character. Underneath all that arrogance and snarkiness is a very caring, sensible character.

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
          it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
          It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
          And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

I agree that it would be cool to see some slash in Atlantis. However, i very very much doubt it would be John/Rodney. How about Rodney/Carson?

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

Family gropus-

That's why I'm so gald that we don't have them here. I mean no disrespect to them, but I personally, feel that they take things to the next level and some of their ways are OTT!!!! At the end of the try as they might all the things that they don't want to see happen...will happen. As for gay marriages? Well, if Bush has his way then there won't be legal.....don't get me started on Bush..I believe most if not all family groups voted for him.

Rodney and Carson? I can see that...but who knows? May be TPTB will do some thing if enough people wrote in or just aired their opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by hermajesty
                I agree that it would be cool to see some slash in Atlantis. However, i very very much doubt it would be John/Rodney. How about Rodney/Carson?
                Well, I think Carson's great and (season 2)
                Spoiler:
                I'm really excited that he's moving up to the main cast next season, since that implies we're going to see a lot more of him.
                I really like the fact that Carson wears his emotions on his sleeve, just look at his video to his mom, and that he's extremely hesitant when it comes to Ancient technology. He makes an excellent contrast to Rodney, who has all these emotional barriers and is confident to the point of arrogance. Those two could learn a lot from each other, even without slashing, and I hope to see more of their interactions next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                  Well, I think Carson's great and (season 2)
                  Spoiler:
                  I'm really excited that he's moving up to the main cast next season, since that implies we're going to see a lot more of him.
                  I really like the fact that Carson wears his emotions on his sleeve, just look at his video to his mom, and that he's extremely hesitant when it comes to Ancient technology. He makes an excellent contrast to Rodney, who has all these emotional barriers and is confident to the point of arrogance. Those two could learn a lot from each other, even without slashing, and I hope to see more of their interactions next season.
                  Yes, Rodney and Carson are great and it'd be lovely to see that friendship explored next season. It'd be nice if they explore friendship in general next season, because I loved Hide and Seek and it was great episode showing Sheppard and McKay vecoming buddies. I really hope that they deal more with that because with everyone being so stressed in the later half of season 1 they all deserve some downtime - a big party or something! Maybe even some dancing....

Comment

Weir/Sheppard <3

Teal'C: Do not test my temper woman!
                    Daniel: Woman? Did he just call me a 'woman'
                    Jack: Yes, I believe he did

Comment

Originally posted by Desdemona
                      Weir/Sheppard <3
                      She looks ready to hurt him.

Like, family pics in fam's that hate each other.

"If you don't stop flirting with Teyla, I swear..."

"What!?"

Hmmm. Ok, back to my hole...

Comment

I'm beginning to see the potential for McKay/Weir ship- the more i think about it the more it seems to work. Weir seems to be the only person in Atlantis that McKay really respects - when she gives him that look he'll always stop whining. I think she's fond of him too, and she doesn't seem to be put off by his fascade - she just sees right through it and finds his complaining funny. I think a relationship between them would be much more interesting than straightforward Sheppard/Weir, and Elizabeth seems the right person to deal with all Rodney's 'issues'.

Edit: Oooh! I've now got two green jello blocks! Yay!

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by hermajesty
                          I'm beginning to see the potential for McKay/Weir ship- the more i think about it the more it seems to work. Weir seems to be the only person in Atlantis that McKay really respects - when she gives him that look he'll always stop whining. I think she's fond of him too, and she doesn't seem to be put off by his fascade - she just sees right through it and finds his complaining funny. I think a relationship between them would be much more interesting than straightforward Sheppard/Weir, and Elizabeth seems the right person to deal with all Rodney's 'issues'.

Edit: Oooh! I've now got two green jello blocks! Yay!
                          There is a lot of hints for Weir/McKay The Storm/The Eye was perfect for Weir/McKay.

Comment

Originally posted by hollyshannensangel
                            There is a lot of hints for Weir/McKay The Storm/The Eye was perfect for Weir/McKay.
                            And so was Hide and Seek...though less obviously so.

Comment

Originally posted by Desdemona
                              He's got bigger boobs than she does in that picture!
                              Liaison of F.O.R.D.
                              Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                                And so was Hide and Seek...though less obviously so.
                                Oh God, yea, Hide and Seek. For me that's when it all became Weir/McKay, Elizabeth showed her true feelings for McKay in this eppy...then again so did John...lol.

My sister is a shipper, I've turned her into a shipper!!! A shipper of Clark/Lex or as some say Clex...although my sister perfers the term Lark lol. She's not into SGA or SG sadly, but she does watch SG from time to time (when nothing else is on) and she is a shipper of Daniel and Sam.

Comment

Working...
                                X