This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liv
    Well, that's exactly it. A show like Farscape (I haven’t watched Voyager/DS9 in years and can’t remember much of it )
    I was talking about Tom Paris/B'lanna Torres, Kira/Odo, Worf/Dax etc.

Atlantis doesn’t have the same restrictions as SG-1 and so there's the teensy tiny bit of possibility that it could be handled better than it has been on SG-1, but somehow I seriously doubt it. Then there's the fact that - after only one season alone - Atlantis has over a dozen ship possibilities, at least 1/3 of them being very popular. More characters are being added to the show in season 2, leaving room for even MORE ship pairings and there's really no telling how many potential pairings we'll end up with at the end of the season. Who's to say which ship is the "right" one?

And that's where I come back to my original point – I don’t want ship between the main characters of Atlantis because I worry about the writers not handling it correctly when integrating it into the overall arc of the show; and because no good can ever come out of TPTB choosing one main ship over another. That will only lead to upset feelings and ship wars and I really don't want to see that happen.
    I don't think that the writers should be afraid to write ship in just so they don't upset the other shippers. I mean, if that's the way the writers did things then
    Spoiler:
    Jacob, Frasier, Peter.... they wouldn't have died.
    But they did, and people kept on watching.

If the ship was written well, even if it wasn't my ship, as long as I could believe it, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I mean I'm a Rodney/Elizabeth shipper, but if they wanted a John/Elizabeth ship and they wrote it well, I would believe it and support it. Now that doesn't mean I still wouldn't be secretly rooting for some horrible fight and a breakup (because not everybody stays together forever) with Rodney there to pick up the pieces.....
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
      Atlantis doesn’t have the same restrictions as SG-1 and so there's the teensy tiny bit of possibility that it could be handled better than it has been on SG-1, but somehow I seriously doubt it. Then there's the fact that - after only one season alone - Atlantis has over a dozen ship possibilities, at least 1/3 of them being very popular. More characters are being added to the show in season 2, leaving room for even MORE ship pairings and there's really no telling how many potential pairings we'll end up with at the end of the season. Who's to say which ship is the "right" one?

(Btw, I'm glad we have this thread to discuss the various ships of Atlantis. Interesting discussion, I think. )
      I presume you over a dozen main/main combinations, right? Because I was gonna say that they are tons of SGA ships. I have about 30 now that I like to varying degrees, though alot are main/secondary, secondary/secondary; SGA just has so many ships and it's great everyone is being friendly and discussing it here.

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
        I don't think that the writers should be afraid to write ship in just so they don't upset the other shippers. I mean, if that's the way the writers did things then
        Spoiler:
        Jacob, Frasier, Peter.... they wouldn't have died.
        But they did, and people kept on watching.
        Obviously the writers should be free to tell their stories in which ever way they see fit, as they do already, and I agree that them writing ship into the show probably won't affect ratings one way or the other, but I still hold firmly in my not wanting main ship to be written in. That’s the one thing I won’t budge on. Of course, that won't stop them from pursuing it, should they choose to do so.

Spoilers for season 7-8, mainly Heroes and Threads of SG-1:

Spoiler:
        I felt as though they sacrificed Jacob on the alter of the Sam/Jack ship and Pete was never more than a plot device, to me. A poor one, at that. I might be one of the few who didn’t have a problem with them killing off Janet. I had a problem with the WAY they killed her off, once again focusing the storyline on the Sam/Jack ship instead of her death, but killing her off didn’t bother me.

I see what they’ve done with SG-1 and I shudder to think about the same thing happening with Atlantis. My main objections towards the Sheppard/Teyla ship, for instance, are about the same objections I have towards the Sam/Jack ship: messing with the team dynamic and lack of any kind of romantic chemistry, whatsoever.

Only, unlike Sam/Jack, I can ignore the Sheppard/Teyla pairing, because it hasn’t been canonized and, as it is, I see nothing more than friendship between the two of them. And I value that friendship.

Originally posted by Purpleyin
        I presume you over a dozen main/main combinations, right? Because I was gonna say that they are tons of SGA ships. I have about 30 now that I like to varying degrees, though alot are main/secondary, secondary/secondary; SGA just has so many ships and it's great everyone is being friendly and discussing it here.
        Yes, I did mean main/main character pairings, although reading back I may have slipped a secondary character into that estimation as well. But only because I think of Beckett as having been a main character throughout season 1. A dozen or so sounded about right, so I went with it.

I'm really a non-shipper at heart when it comes to Stargate (except with SG-1 where I'm as much Anti Sam/Jack as can be, as demonstrated ), but I still can't help but see Sheppard/Weir. It really took me by surprise and it's been fun analyzing the scenes throughout the season. The chemistry, the looks, the dialogue etc. But that's where I want it to stay. From my understanding of things, you and I both see ship in The Eye, only I see Sheppard/Weir and you see Weir/McKay. I think it's great that an episode can have us interpret things in that way and I personally feel that this is the way to go with the following seasons, as well. Being a non-shipper, other pairings basically go right over my head. I just don't see it.

Anyway, my main priority is the story at hand and the emotional ties between the characters. All of the characters.
        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
          I see what they’ve done with SG-1 and I shudder to think about the same thing happening with Atlantis. My main objections towards the Sheppard/Teyla ship, for instance, are about the same objections I have towards the Sam/Jack ship: messing with the team dynamic and lack of any kind of romantic chemistry, whatsoever.

I completely agree with you there, that's why I suggested that if they want to follow that ship then Teyla needs to be put on a different team than Sheppard's.
          It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
            Yes, I did mean main/main character pairings, although reading back I may have slipped a secondary character into that estimation as well. But only because I think of Beckett as having been a main character throughout season 1. A dozen or so sounded about right, so I went with it.

I'm really a non-shipper at heart when it comes to Stargate (except with SG-1 where I'm as much Anti Sam/Jack as can be, as demonstrated ), but I still can't help but see Sheppard/Weir. It really took me by surprise and it's been fun analyzing the scenes throughout the season. The chemistry, the looks, the dialogue etc. But that's where I want it to stay. From my understanding of things, you and I both see ship in The Eye, only I see Sheppard/Weir and you see Weir/McKay. I think it's great that an episode can have us interpret things in that way and I personally feel that this is the way to go with the following seasons, as well. Being a non-shipper, other pairings basically go right over my head. I just don't see it.

Anyway, my main priority is the story at hand and the emotional ties between the characters. All of the characters.
            Yes, I think most people include Beckett as a main character even before he became one.

It's pretty weird, and yet cool too, that we can both see our prefered ship in such episodes as The Eye. Makes this fun without any worry of upsetting anyone.

On the other ships. Most main/secondary and secondary/secondary are ships you have to want to ship - as in they don't have anything remotely canon usually or at least very little on show to interpret (Zelenka/Weir mostly comes from the Brotherhood/Seige Part 1 scenes) and in some cases are based on absolutely nothing! (Bates/Sora comes to mind) but they're fun for those who like them. It's actually sort of strange that SGa has so many ships compared to SG1. I'm curious how many there are now compared to SG1 currently (including random minority 'lonely' ships). I can just imagine when (or before) Seige Part 3 airs there will be several new ships.
            Spoiler:
            Hmm. At the very least I can imagine people migth go for:
            Shep/Caldwell
            Weir/Caldwell
            Has Teyla/Everett been done yet? LOL

Comment

Working...
            X