No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

I have seen the new Harry Potter movie, and it rocked. And it brought up something that is kinda-sorta relevant to the discussion y'all have been having about the podcast (still haven't listened to it yet, but I'm very happy to read that it was fair and balanced to all sides, and I'm looking forward to it even more now): Harry and Ginny.

From the time of the 'Three Year Summer,' as many fans call it, between the publishing of 'Goblet of Fire' and 'Order of the Phoenix,' and especially once OotP was published, Harry/Ginny was in many respects very much like what John/Elizabeth has become in SGA fandom. It had a significant and devoted following with the backing of an increasing amount of canon evidence in its favor. It was opposed, mocked, and outright bashed by other ships that twisted and totally ignored canon to "prove" that their ship was the one that was the best and would ultimately happen. If you think the shipping wars in Stargate are ugly, you should've seen the Potterverse shipping wars!

But in the end... Harry/Ginny became canon (as did its sister ship Ron/Hermione). And yes, the naysayers are still in denial, but it's over.

John/Elizabeth may not have a clear-cut ending (yet) like Harry/Ginny does, but the amount of canon evidence in its favor that we and even non-shipping fans have seen is undeniable. The producers and writers may have been playing games with the fans all along when it comes to shipping, but I believe that in so doing, they've ended up making themselves look like fools. Why? Because in spite of their best efforts, the characters are no longer exclusively the domain of the producers/writers. The actors bring those characters to life and incorporate their own views of what the character should be, including relationships with the other characters. And we the viewers look at what the actors put on screen in their performances, and make our own interpretations based on what we see. It's out of the producers and writers' hands now. Shipping is here to stay, whether they like it or not. And if they really care about the fans, they'd realize that playing games with us is not good for the future of the franchise.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
      I will be OT.
      First: Did you see the pic of Joe in "Warehouse13? He's still beautiful. It's not a surprise.
      Second: I have something for you Miss KR. I worked on this yesterday and a little today. I hope that you will love it. I hope that everyone will love it. It is a simplified version and not really finished with two big mistakes: two chevrons are missing. Booo for me.lol

Spoiler:
      lol, it always makes me laugh when someone calls me miss
      And I love that drawing!!!
      Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
      It's awesome!!

Haven't seen that pic of Joe yet... do you have a link?

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
        On TLG - I kind of hated it, because it was written to play with shipper groups. Why writing a kiss if it means nothing? I'd say it definitely means something, because John gave his conscious consent.
        Word. If that is what TPTW call "playing with the shippers," I'd have to say they failed miserably, because John's actions send a very loud and clear message.

He wants Lizzie!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Word. If that is what TPTW call "playing with the shippers," I'd have to say they failed miserably, because John's actions send a very loud and clear message.

He wants Lizzie!
          Heh exactly - what do you think John was thinking when he agreed to play Lizzies hubs?
          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            Beautiful. That looks like a piece of jewelry.
            Thank you. Jewelry is maybe a big word but I'm happy that you think that because it's a lot of work. But am I the only one who see the mistakes? I'm frustrated.ol

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
            lol, it always makes me laugh when someone calls me miss
            And I love that drawing!!!
            Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
            It's awesome!!

Haven't seen that pic of Joe yet... do you have a link?
            Link for the pic.

I'm happy that you love it.
            sigpic
            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks to you KR. I discover a great writer Bil. After "Worse", Sparky members, you have to read this one. Weddings and Bridesmaid Dresses Maybe you already know this.
              sigpic
              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

I have seen the new Harry Potter movie, and it rocked. And it brought up something that is kinda-sorta relevant to the discussion y'all have been having about the podcast (still haven't listened to it yet, but I'm very happy to read that it was fair and balanced to all sides, and I'm looking forward to it even more now): Harry and Ginny.

From the time of the 'Three Year Summer,' as many fans call it, between the publishing of 'Goblet of Fire' and 'Order of the Phoenix,' and especially once OotP was published, Harry/Ginny was in many respects very much like what John/Elizabeth has become in SGA fandom. It had a significant and devoted following with the backing of an increasing amount of canon evidence in its favor. It was opposed, mocked, and outright bashed by other ships that twisted and totally ignored canon to "prove" that their ship was the one that was the best and would ultimately happen. If you think the shipping wars in Stargate are ugly, you should've seen the Potterverse shipping wars!

But in the end... Harry/Ginny became canon (as did its sister ship Ron/Hermione). And yes, the naysayers are still in denial, but it's over.

John/Elizabeth may not have a clear-cut ending (yet) like Harry/Ginny does, but the amount of canon evidence in its favor that we and even non-shipping fans have seen is undeniable. The producers and writers may have been playing games with the fans all along when it comes to shipping, but I believe that in so doing, they've ended up making themselves look like fools. Why? Because in spite of their best efforts, the characters are no longer exclusively the domain of the producers/writers. The actors bring those characters to life and incorporate their own views of what the character should be, including relationships with the other characters. And we the viewers look at what the actors put on screen in their performances, and make our own interpretations based on what we see. It's out of the producers and writers' hands now. Shipping is here to stay, whether they like it or not. And if they really care about the fans, they'd realize that playing games with us is not good for the future of the franchise.
                Ugh. Don't get me into HP shipping, that's what got me out of shipping in general. I was on the other side of the war you're referring to, and though I was totally respectful to the people whom canon eventually rewarded with HBP, I had some quite nasty 'canonites' say some stupid, awful, mean things, which included throwing a lot of HBP in people's faces. And if you know me here, you know I wasn't being crazy with my shipping.

I am a canon-fan, and up until HBP I had a good argument for the 'other' ship having potential, though, as I do here, I never discounted canon nor the stuff in GOF. After HBP I enjoyed the platonic canon element and actually liked H/G, too, but I was not a fan of shipping after HP, and in general don't ship anymore because of that.

Glad Sparky fans changed my mind on at least one other, though.
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                  Ugh. Don't get me into HP shipping, that's what got me out of shipping in general. I was on the other side of the war you're referring to, and though I was totally respectful to the people whom canon eventually rewarded with HBP, I had some quite nasty 'canonites' say some stupid, awful, mean things, which included throwing a lot of HBP in people's faces. And if you know me here, you know I wasn't being crazy with my shipping.

I am a canon-fan, and up until HBP I had a good argument for the 'other' ship having potential, though, as I do here, I never discounted canon nor the stuff in GOF. After HBP I enjoyed the platonic canon element and actually liked H/G, too, but I was not a fan of shipping after HP, and in general don't ship anymore because of that.

Oh, tell me about it! The Potter shipping wars drove me out of that fandom entirely even before HBP was published. So I stayed in my lair, read the remaining two books, and stayed the heck away from fans. I haven't been involved in HP fandom since, and I have no intention of ever going back.

It wasn't until SGA and John/Elizabeth that I felt comfortable enough to dip a toe back into fandom and shipping again. Only to get smacked around with yet another shipping war and all the spying, intolerant, mudslinging insanity that comes with it. *sighs*

I'm glad we're on the same side this time, though! *hugs*

Comment

after listening to that relationship podcast i was thinking "well who do they want Sheppard to get with? Larrin?" cause larrin reminds me of Vala and one Vala is enough thank you very much.

Comment

So, I've started working on my first Sparky shirt.
                      On the front it will say "John & Elizabeth - it's all in the eyes"
                      And on the back will be four pictures (one for each season) of them eye!sexing.
                      This is the first one from season 3:

Spoiler:

You should be able to click on it...

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                        after listening to that relationship podcast i was thinking "well who do they want Sheppard to get with? Larrin?" cause larrin reminds me of Vala and one Vala is enough thank you very much.
                        LOL!

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                        So, I've started working on my first Sparky shirt.
                        On the front it will say "John & Elizabeth - it's all in the eyes"
                        And on the back will be four pictures (one for each season) of them eye!sexing.
                        This is the first one from season 3:

Spoiler:

You should be able to click on it...
                        http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...th_season3.jpg
                        Oh, that's lovely! And a catchy little phrase to go with it! That'll make a great shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                          How I missed the teasing/relaxed John! You are correct, in S4/S5 that is almost non-existent. I think Rodney as a friend to John understood his emotional needs. I really wish they'd followed an idea to have Elizabeth back in S5 and maybe part of an Atlantis diplomatic team. Put Lorne in charge of that team, that removes her from being in John's team and the whole issue of chain of command.
                          Here's a link to the Elizabeth Weir/Torri WOW thread where there's a bried exchange about the same topic. http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...33320&page=658

I will be OT.
                          First: Did you see the pic of Joe in "Warehouse13? He's still beautiful. It's not a surprise.
                          Second: I have something for you Miss KR. I worked on this yesterday and a little today. I hope that you will love it. I hope that everyone will love it. It is a simplified version and not really finished with two big mistakes: two chevrons are missing. Booo for me.lol

snip
                          Wow, a faux hawk in the back and laying down in front. I admit defeat, JF's hair is way more cooler (rakish) than mine. (Fist of RAGE)

Nice pic

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                          Yes, I agree with you. in The Prodigal he is very sweet at the end, but still it's not the old John, there is still sadness in his eyes, even when he's playing with the baby.

On TLG - I kind of hated it, because it was written to play with shipper groups. Why writing a kiss if it means nothing? I'd say it definitely means something, because John gave his conscious consent.
                          I agree with you TPTW led us on. I can't say I hated TLG, Lizzie with guns was so... HOT!

link:http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=287&pos=305

snip (sorry Harry)

I think the way Ms. Torri and JF played their characters is what brought about the spark. I doubt the writers had a action line like, "Sheppard and Weir eye-sex each other." Some closure would be nice. If the girl says yes, yay for me. If she says no, I can deal. It's like our ship got left in the friend zone.
                          "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                            Here's a link to the Elizabeth Weir/Torri WOW thread where there's a bried exchange about the same topic. http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...33320&page=658
                            I remember that. I wish we could've seen the kinds of things we came up with; they would've been much more satisfying than the endless string of disappointments TPTW tossed us.

Wow, a faux hawk in the back and laying down in front. I admit defeat, JF's hair is way more cooler (rakish) than mine. (Fist of RAGE)
                            *chuckles*

I agree with you TPTW led us on. I can't say I hated TLG, Lizzie with guns was so... HOT!

link:http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=287&pos=305
                            Hee! Yes, she was, wasn't she?

I think the way Ms. Torri and JF played their characters is what brought about the spark. I doubt the writers had a action line like, "Sheppard and Weir eye-sex each other." Some closure would be nice. If the girl says yes, yay for me. If she says no, I can deal. It's like our ship got left in the friend zone.
                            *snorts* Forget the friend zone, our ship got spaced! Talk about deep freeze!

Comment

Thank you. Jewelry is maybe a big word but I'm happy that you think that because it's a lot of work. But am I the only one who see the mistakes? I'm frustrated.ol
                              Ooh! I like it! I think it looks fine the way it is. =D

Thanks to you KR. I discover a great writer Bil. After "Worse", Sparky members, you have to read this one. Weddings and Bridesmaid Dresses Maybe you already know this.
                              I love his(?) stories! You should definitely read In the Details because it's a beautiful contemplation made by Teyla of the relationship between Elizabeth and John. I already read and reviewed it a while ago, but it's one of my favorites.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post

Oh God, I'm so glad I never dared venture into the world of HP fandom. I was scared enough about entering this one, but it sounds like HP was much worse. I definitely had my shipping preferences for HP, but for the most part, romance wasn't on my mind while I was reading/watching HP.

That said, I'm glad I found you guys here. What a great bunch. ;D
                              rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Oh, tell me about it! The Potter shipping wars drove me out of that fandom entirely even before HBP was published. So I stayed in my lair, read the remaining two books, and stayed the heck away from fans. I haven't been involved in HP fandom since, and I have no intention of ever going back.

It wasn't until SGA and John/Elizabeth that I felt comfortable enough to dip a toe back into fandom and shipping again. Only to get smacked around with yet another shipping war and all the spying, intolerant, mudslinging insanity that comes with it. *sighs*

I'm glad we're on the same side this time, though! *hugs*
                                Me too! *hugs back*

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                Everytime I heard "Larrin" I think "Wipeout". XP
                                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Working...
                                X