Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    Hello everyone! Looks like I missed tons of fun conversations.... well, the holidays are over, and I'm back! ((hugs thread))
    Glad you're back. We missed you. The holidays aren't over yet for me. I still have New Year's Eve to get ready for. But that won't stop me from watching something SGA related hanging out here.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      That's an interesting take on things. I also remember something in the s1 dvd extras about Torri, and her effect on other people. Competetive wasn't the vibe I got out of it, more like she brought out the best in other people.
      This I would believe. From what I have seen of Torri's work elsewhere, she's a fine actress. She found her niche in NCIS in ONE episode! After that ep, I could see her with a permanent place there and that cast is well-established. I just adored how well she fit in with David McCallum.

I'd also suggest that it may have something to do with the sheer volume of scenes shared by Joe and Torri. Up until s4, JF had considerably more screentime with Torri than the others (David may possibly have eclipsed Torri there, but much of that was in 'team' situations rather than one on one situations). They know what makes each other tick, and how to play a scene to get the 'best' result. They'd be familiar with each others process/procedure (or whatever the acting phrase is).

If you look at it in that context, you can see the change in John and Ronon's relationship post FS. Their scenes have been much stronger since then.
      This could be. But there are plenty of actors who spend lots of time together and don't make me think
      Spoiler:
      the characters want to rip each others' clothes off
      To me it seems like there might need to be an additional element. Though it could be that one of the actors just brings out the best in others. I just thought that interview was particularly interesting in light of our favorite couple.
      Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
      Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
      Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

[ATTACH]7402[/ATTACH]
        This one I just felt like it (from Progeny). Note the dominant male's relaxed posture as he is ordered about by his woman, clearly at ease with the situation. He leaves it to his second (who apparently has not had a bring your other half to work day) to point out the obvious safety concerns. Dominant male knows that once his woman has made up her mind, argueing gets him nowhere (except the spare room closet)
        I love this!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Glad you're back. We missed you. The holidays aren't over yet for me. I still have New Year's Eve to get ready for. But that won't stop me from watching something SGA related hanging out here.
          Ditto. Although having suffered from a serious case of food poisoning over Christmas (yes, I don't really remember Christmas) *whines* I'm going to live up New Years.

Originally posted by marimba26 View Post
          This I would believe. From what I have seen of Torri's work elsewhere, she's a fine actress. She found her niche in NCIS in ONE episode! After that ep, I could see her with a permanent place there and that cast is well-established. I just adored how well she fit in with David McCallum.
          I'm really excited about the upcoming episode and I hope we get to see her character evolve some. I'm marking off the days! I would be even if Torri wasn't in it--I love NCIS now and especially Ducky--but having Torri in it makes it all the better.

This could be. But there are plenty of actors who spend lots of time together and don't make me think
          Spoiler:
          the characters want to rip each others' clothes off
          To me it seems like there might need to be an additional element. Though it could be that one of the actors just brings out the best in others. I just thought that interview was particularly interesting in light of our favorite couple.
          For me, it's always just been what it is--chemistry. I don't think there's a set way to qualify it, save to say that when actors go into 'actor' mode there are some people they click with better and some they don't. I don't think it's necessarily based on behind-the-scenes relationships (though of course being friendly versus hateful helps overall with workplace relations). I do think it has a lot to do with 'work mode' and what actors become when they put on their character faces. I think the best actors distinguish between themselves and who they are onscreen, creating a character who has distinctive traits which differ from real life.

What I would say is I think actors get comfortable with people who help them at their job, too, and that's what I saw with Torri and Joe. They helped each other in their portrayals of Weir and Sheppard, which may be one reason they click so well. Torri played off Joe, Joe played off Torri. Some of the best scenes in character come between them, I think--everything from dramatic to very funny. Joe and David Hewlett also had that type of relationship. For me, Sheppard's most colorful/diverse with Weir and McKay. Rachel and Jason also had that type of relationship, as did David and David (Nykl).

It's not saying they were dull with anyone else, but it seemed easier when they were with those particular actors, like it just flowed.
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
            Ditto. Although having suffered from a serious case of food poisoning over Christmas (yes, I don't really remember Christmas) *whines* I'm going to live up New Years.
            Yikes! I hope you're feeling better now.

For me, it's always just been what it is--chemistry. I don't think there's a set way to qualify it, save to say that when actors go into 'actor' mode there are some people they click with better and some they don't. I don't think it's necessarily based on behind-the-scenes relationships (though of course being friendly versus hateful helps overall with workplace relations). I do think it has a lot to do with 'work mode' and what actors become when they put on their character faces. I think the best actors distinguish between themselves and who they are onscreen, creating a character who has distinctive traits which differ from real life.

What I would say is I think actors get comfortable with people who help them at their job, too, and that's what I saw with Torri and Joe. They helped each other in their portrayals of Weir and Sheppard, which may be one reason they click so well. Torri played off Joe, Joe played off Torri. Some of the best scenes in character come between them, I think--everything from dramatic to very funny. Joe and David Hewlett also had that type of relationship. For me, Sheppard's most colorful/diverse with Weir and McKay. Rachel and Jason also had that type of relationship, as did David and David (Nykl).

It's not saying they were dull with anyone else, but it seemed easier when they were with those particular actors, like it just flowed.
            Exactly! I was going to green you but I'm out. I think you've about summed it up here to my mind. Even in scenes where there are multiple people in the room, they seem to play off one another. Someone else can be talking and Sheppard and Weir will be sharing significant looks. *sigh*

Comment

Guys! I just wanted to remind you that Stargate Fan Awards is accepting nominations until Dec 31th! Go and nominate Sparky stuff - especially because they somehow managed to "forget" Elizabeth, and thus everyone is on their lovely banner, but her.

http://www.sg-awards.com/news.php

Let's remind them Elizabeth is still out there, especially in the works of her fans.
              I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Exactly! I was going to green you but I'm out. I think you've about summed it up here to my mind. Even in scenes where there are multiple people in the room, they seem to play off one another. Someone else can be talking and Sheppard and Weir will be sharing significant looks. *sigh*
                Thanks and thanks! I feel fine now, but I basically became ill on Christmas Eve night and was sick through Saturday. Sunday was a recovery day--in which I got to eat for the first time in 3 days--so I haven't even really enjoyed the holidays yet.

I missed all the cakes, candies, Christmas dinner stuff, etc. Even thinking about that stuff right now, actually, still makes me kinda sick. I won't be able to eat sweets for weeks.
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

And that's why he's looked so lost for 4 years IMHO.

Thanks and thanks! I feel fine now, but I basically became ill on Christmas Eve night and was sick through Saturday. Sunday was a recovery day--in which I got to eat for the first time in 3 days--so I haven't even really enjoyed the holidays yet.

I missed all the cakes, candies, Christmas dinner stuff, etc. Even thinking about that stuff right now, actually, still makes me kinda sick. I won't be able to eat sweets for weeks.
                  Poor baby. Not a good weight loss plan.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Eeek. I need to lose weight. But right now I really don't feel like eating anything, let alone holiday food.

I enjoyed the chemistry convo. I always say, some people have a good co worker vibe and bring out the best in the other - why is that when it comes to Torri and Joe is an subject to endless speculation, and will probably remain to be so, but IMO, I think they're both good actors who know how to bring the best out - both for their characters and the characters of the other. Also, some people simply 'click' well, and it works. I'm happy Sparky works so well.

SGA really lacked the sparky in last two seasons, pun intended.

Were we discussing songs? I walways thought Unchained by Johnny Cash is a perfect John - song.

Comment

IIRC the official line at the time was that Torri didn't do commentaries (have you ever heard the phrase 'gone fishing'?). Somewhat fudging it, considering she'd done them in the past.
                      Pffft. NONE of the actors did commentaries for the s3, either because of unavailibilty or because certain producers/writers wanted the spotlight to themselves.

She pops in at the end of the one with Paul McGillion (Childhood's End, I think?). The Sanctuary one is only Rachel and Torri and Torri's there the whole time. They talk about Leonor Varela (Chaya) and how great she was, yoga, soy chais and all kinds of girly stuff. It's quite funny.
                      That was the Best. Commentary. Ever.

I love the actor commentaries and also the ones with Deluise and the guy that plays Walter.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        Welcome. We're here and ready to talk Sparky.
                        I really don't know why but I read stalk Sparky instead of talk Sparky... *scratches head in confusion*

The little guys who did the Echoes commentary cracked me up.
                        One of those "little guys" was the director of that episode, Will Waring. He barely knew what was going on, like he had no clue what it was about. For cryin' out loud, he directed it?!? WTF?!?

That was the only one I was looking forward to hearing and I turned it off midway... The commentaries on the season 3 DVD box are lacking and very poor in quality.

Guys! I just wanted to remind you that Stargate Fan Awards is accepting nominations until Dec 31th! Go and nominate Sparky stuff - especially because they somehow managed to "forget" Elizabeth, and thus everyone is on their lovely banner, but her.

http://www.sg-awards.com/news.php

Let's remind them Elizabeth is still out there, especially in the works of her fans.
                        Out of spite, I'd annoy them with every single Elizabeth-fic I like out there.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          YES YES YES. Do that FH. I've already done my share

Comment

The commentaries on the season 3 DVD box are lacking and very poor in quality.
                            Why I haven't watched any of them. I would like to watch the Sunday commentary, but given I couldn't bear to watch past 5 mins in and also hearing the commentator, erm, gloat about the deed and how Sheyla-packed it was it would probably be twice as heartbreaking. lol.

SR, didn't you watch some of the s4 commentaries? How are they in terms of quality?

I'm going to go listen to Sanctuary now.

Comment

YES YES YES. Do that FH. I've already done my share
                              Will you guys annoy the heck out of them by nominating some more please???? I can't even nominate. STOOOPID email/pw problem and they are not responding.
                              sig made by me

Comment

Welcome back Anuna

I really don't know why but I read stalk Sparky instead of talk Sparky... *scratches head in confusion*
                                It's true

One of those "little guys" was the director of that episode, Will Waring. He barely knew what was going on, like he had no clue what it was about. For cryin' out loud, he directed it?!? WTF?!?

That was the only one I was looking forward to hearing and I turned it off midway... The commentaries on the season 3 DVD box are lacking and very poor in quality.

That can be annoying. In fairness they do the commentaries months after the ep has been shot, but....

In s4, Amanda did a lot of them (in relative terms) which I thought was odd considering it was only her first year

On a completely unrelated note, I have to go for a couple of days. I think. So happy new year/happy holidays to you all if I don't post before that
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X