Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*drags self in*

I just watched NCIS. It's like "Lifeline" all over again. I need to go cry myself to sleep.

Oh, and I wrote fluffy Sparky fic, but I'll have to post it tomorrow. I'm currently suffering from a severe deficit of brain cells.

G'night!

Comment

Originally posted by Varda View Post
      It sounds fascinating till the very moment when exam time comes
      That was a joke (c) It's really interesting, yes.

Actually, these classes are relevant to my profession, as I'm supposed to be a Chinese teacher, who also should have basic knowledge of culture and so on.
      My general classes, btw, vary from Maths to Stylistics of Russian language and Psychology.
      P.S. And I hope to get a certificate in Translation one day, too.
      That sounds exciting! And it's a very relevant field of study, given the current state of geo-politics.

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
      Yes, exactly. If a dynamic between the characters appeals to me, it doesn't really matter to me whether the ship is canon or not, whether it's slash or het, etc. John and Elizabeth had one of the most compelling relationships on the show, partly because they represented different worlds and perspectives (military vs civilian pacifist). There was a somewhat similar dynamic in SG-1 with Jack and Daniel, but Elizabeth was not quite as idealistic as Daniel, and Sheppard was not quite as rigid as Jack, so watching the two of them learning to work together was fascinating - it was like a more mature version of Jack/Daniel in a way. And it was nice seeing them bring out the best in each other. Although John wasn't the only one who Elizabeth brought out the best in. I felt she was a very good influence on Rodney too.
      Hmm, that's an interesting comparison between Elizabeth and John, and Daniel and Jack. I've always felt that Elizabeth was created to be sort of the "Daniel-like" character on SGA; it's a shame the producers didn't do so well at following through with that potential.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
      That is a good point, especially considering that Sheppard and Weir were originally scripted to be more confrontational. It's interesting how well their relationship functioned after they made it over a couple major hurdles, ie, trapped in another galaxy, blatant disobedience, Wraith siege, etc. Guess it goes to show, too, how much of an impact the actors can have on the direction their character heads by the way they portray them.
      Indeed.

I feel like we've already had this conversation before... Either we have, or it's got something to do with these marks on my hand:

Spoiler:
      BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!

*drags self in*

I just watched NCIS. It's like "Lifeline" all over again. I need to go cry myself to sleep.

Oh, and I wrote fluffy Sparky fic, but I'll have to post it tomorrow. I'm currently suffering from a severe deficit of brain cells.

G'night!
      Yeah, Tumblr seems to have gone into meltdown over tonight's episode. Yikes.

Of course, I'm sure it'll be going nuts again once Iron Man 3 hits the US and spoiler warnings are lifted...
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Ouch, I was in the middle of writing an answer yesterday, but then realized, a few more minutes - and I'll fall asleep right on my keyboard

Same here. Their Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was my first online fandom ever. Aw, memories.

Yes, exactly. If a dynamic between the characters appeals to me, it doesn't really matter to me whether the ship is canon or not, whether it's slash or het, etc. John and Elizabeth had one of the most compelling relationships on the show, partly because they represented different worlds and perspectives (military vs civilian pacifist). There was a somewhat similar dynamic in SG-1 with Jack and Daniel, but Elizabeth was not quite as idealistic as Daniel, and Sheppard was not quite as rigid as Jack, so watching the two of them learning to work together was fascinating - it was like a more mature version of Jack/Daniel in a way. And it was nice seeing them bring out the best in each other. Although John wasn't the only one who Elizabeth brought out the best in. I felt she was a very good influence on Rodney too.
        Sweet memories ^^
        I've never played Knights of the Old Republic, but I feel quite the same about Dragon Age: this game made me a real nerd sometimes. WHat is more, it proved, that a videogame also can have a real big active fandom...

To tell you the truth, I haven't thought abouth Jack and Daniel like this (as I'm only watching s1 now and haven't decided yet, which pairings I will ship ), but I definitely like your way of thinking

ShipperWriter,
        I'm looking forward to reading your fic! <3

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        That sounds exciting! And it's a very relevant field of study, given the current state of geo-politics.
        Thank you I also hope that it'll help me somehow in the future and will be useful on the whole.
        I've entered the Abyss and never returned.

sigpic

My links: Tumblr || Twitter || VK

Comment

Oh yeas, just one moment before I leave
          If some of you have a blog on Tumblr - could you give me the link, please?
          I'd love to follow you

sigpic

Comment

I've never played Knights of the Old Republic, but I feel quite the same about Dragon Age: this game made me a real nerd sometimes. WHat is more, it proved, that a videogame also can have a real big active fandom...
            KotOR is awesome, although when I tried to replay it recently, I noticed how much more simplistic it seemed to be compared to Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has really come a long way towards making their games and their characters more complex and realistic.

If any of you guys is into gaming, I really advise the Mass Effect franchise: it has plenty of strong, complicated female characters whose lives don't revolve around men, which is a rarity in the sci-fi world, as we all know. It also has a few beautiful romance subplots. Playing as a female character is sheer joy, and these games pass the Bechdel Test with flying colors. And ME has quite a lot in common with Stargate (excellent team dynamics, for example). The Mass Effect series has its flaws, but I think it's one of the best science fiction experiences I have ever had.

To tell you the truth, I haven't thought abouth Jack and Daniel like this (as I'm only watching s1 now and haven't decided yet, which pairings I will ship ), but I definitely like your way of thinking
            I'm a Sam/Jack shipper, so when I compared Sparky to Jack/Daniel, I just meant their overall dynamic. Although the connection between Jack and Daniel is as strong as that between John and Elizabeth. You'll see when you've reached the end of season 5.

I wish we had gotten more Elizabeth-Daniel interaction. They were so perfect for each other (in a totally platonic way, of course.)

Comment

I'm a HALO-fan... a massive HALO-fan actually. I pray at the altar that is Masterchief and Cortana.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                I'm a HALO-fan... a massive HALO-fan actually. I pray at the altar that is Masterchief and Cortana.
                Never played it. I'm more into RPG. Although Mass Effect is not an RPG in the traditional sense; it's more of a shooter with RPG elements, IMO. I will probably try Halo once I have some free time - it's such a famous series that I just have to see what all the hype is about. What's good about Mass Effect and (all other Bioware games) is that the protagonist can be female, which changes the storyline in some ways (mostly romances, but some other things too). Female Shepard from Mass Effect is one of my all-time favorite characters. I have never identified with a video game character so strongly before. Heh, she could be the progeny of John and Elizabeth, seeing as she's a military woman who's not afraid to talk with her fists, but she is also intelligent, diplomatic and very good at bringing people together despite their differences (depending on how you choose to play her).
                Last edited by Raelis; 24 April 2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Yeah, Tumblr seems to have gone into meltdown over tonight's episode. Yikes.

Of course, I'm sure it'll be going nuts again once Iron Man 3 hits the US and spoiler warnings are lifted...
                  Fandoms are going to break Tumblr, that's for sure.

And Varda, my blog name on Tumblr is shipperwriter, same as here.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

I'd love to follow you
                    Me on Tumblr.

I wish we had gotten more Elizabeth-Daniel interaction. They were so perfect for each other (in a totally platonic way, of course.)
                    Me too. I especially liked their scenes together in New Order and The Pegasus Project. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of that.

And I'll have to check out Mass Effect. I haven't done any computer gaming in a while...

Fandoms are going to break Tumblr, that's for sure.
                    And it's all coming down at once! Whoa, Nellie!
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm a Sam/Jack shipper, so when I compared Sparky to Jack/Daniel, I just meant their overall dynamic. Although the connection between Jack and Daniel is as strong as that between John and Elizabeth. You'll see when you've reached the end of season 5.
                      I liked the Jack/Daniel friendship, it was very well executed and I will admit it was my favorite part of SG-1 because I’d say that most of the male characters are my favorites.

I wish that as well, I really liked the scenes they had together, the same with the friendship between Elizabeth and Jack, it was obvious how much they both liked and respected her, and it makes me wish that they could have acknowledged both of those after Elizabeth went MIA.
                      sigpic

Comment

KotOR is awesome, although when I tried to replay it recently, I noticed how much more simplistic it seemed to be compared to Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has really come a long way towards making their games and their characters more complex and realistic.

If any of you guys is into gaming, I really advise the Mass Effect franchise: it has plenty of strong, complicated female characters whose lives don't revolve around men, which is a rarity in the sci-fi world, as we all know. It also has a few beautiful romance subplots. Playing as a female character is sheer joy, and these games pass the Bechdel Test with flying colors. And ME has quite a lot in common with Stargate (excellent team dynamics, for example). The Mass Effect series has its flaws, but I think it's one of the best science fiction experiences I have ever had.

Sure. As you already said, their games aren't flawless, but they are very exciting and hearty. I've never regretted about time or money that I spent on them.

And I join you in Mass Effect PR
                        Btw, Mass Effect has an unbeaten record in number of the favouritest female persons: three smart, wonderful, charming (and even a bit dangerous) women that I really worship per one franchise - that's a lot for me

Now I see, thanks! That was interesting to read, I hope I'll reach it rather sooner than later and see it myself

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Wow! I've heard a lot about it, some of my friends are also big fans. I'd love to try it, too...

P.S.
                        ShipperWriter, Scary Kitty,
                        thanks! Now I'm following you

sigpic

Comment

Although John wasn't the only one who Elizabeth brought out the best in. I felt she was a very good influence on Rodney too.
                          I agree, she was also a very good influence on Rodney. And I guess that’s why he was able to respect her.

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                          That's a great vid, thanks for the rec. Sheppard is such a great character and one of the few male leads I've never wanted to throw off a cliff.
                          John Sheppard is an exceptional character; he is totally different from all the other lead characters, male lead characters that i have found. He is not afraid of showing his weaknesses and his human side, although he is part of the military. Usually military lead characters work kind of on a robotic way, i mean they have a mission, they will fulfil it no matter what. But John has to adapt to what comes along in front of him, he will use his military training of course, but he will mostly count on his instinct and in what he thinks is right. The capability he has to learn from others, especially from Elizabeth is also quite unique, because usually the military will stick with their rules and will not care for other people’s opinion, especially civilians.

Hmm, that's an interesting comparison between Elizabeth and John, and Daniel and Jack. I've always felt that Elizabeth was created to be sort of the "Daniel-like" character on SGA; it's a shame the producers didn't do so well at following through with that potential.
                          Me too, I always thought Elizabeth was the Daniel Jackson of Atlantis, and if she would be added to John’s team she would definitely have been like Daniel. I can almost see it in my mind.

And i have to say that i would have loved to see Elizabeth and Daniel when Daniel visited Atlantis to find Janus’ secret lab. It would have been great!! Because i am sure Elizabeth would have been all excited about the idea too.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

I'd love to follow you
                            I'm mathgirl24.

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                            Me too, I always thought Elizabeth was the Daniel Jackson of Atlantis, and if she would be added to John’s team she would definitely have been like Daniel. I can almost see it in my mind.

And i have to say that i would have loved to see Elizabeth and Daniel when Daniel visited Atlantis to find Janus’ secret lab. It would have been great!! Because i am sure Elizabeth would have been all excited about the idea too.
                            Yes, to all of that.

Comment

It does! My studies are mostly connected with cultures of the Far East; we've covered some aspects of Korean and Japanese cultures, but most of the time takes Chinese culture, history and literature, and together with Chinese language they form the base of my education.

I'm really pleased to hear it; now I at least believed, that my efforts are somehow rewarded.
                              Thank you!
                              Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, Varda. My pregnant sister went in for some tests and the doc decided to keep her overnight because her blood pressure was high. Things have been a bit crazy since then but are slowly returning to normal along with her BP.

Sounds a bit like a couple of classes I took in college, just more interesting. All the Chinese I know came from finding the translations to stuff said on Firefly. What I wouldn't give to learn another lanuage and retain it!

You are very welcome.
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                                John Sheppard is an exceptional character; he is totally different from all the other lead characters, male lead characters that i have found. He is not afraid of showing his weaknesses and his human side, although he is part of the military. Usually military lead characters work kind of on a robotic way, i mean they have a mission, they will fulfil it no matter what. But John has to adapt to what comes along in front of him, he will use his military training of course, but he will mostly count on his instinct and in what he thinks is right. The capability he has to learn from others, especially from Elizabeth is also quite unique, because usually the military will stick with their rules and will not care for other people’s opinion, especially civilians.
                                JFlan kind of sabotaged certain people's plans for the character. They tried to make him this inter-gallactic playboy but Joe played him more vulnerable, dorky and awkward. Which ruined their idea of what Sheppard was supposed to be, which was closer to some devil-may-care charmer.

To me Joe gets the credit for any added depth the character had.

Comment

Working...
                                X