Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    At a bare minimum, I'd say watch all of the Weir and the Replicators storyline, the Teyla/Kanaan and Michael messing with the Athosians storyline, and the various developments with Todd and the Wraith.

So, for Season 4:
    Adrift
    Lifeline
    Reunion
    - might want to add Travelers so you know who they are
    Missing
    - possibly The Seer
    This Mortal Coil
    Be All My Sins Remember'd
    Spoils of War
    - possibly Outcast for new background on John
    Midway
    The Kindred, Parts 1 & 2
    The Last Man

And Season 5:
    Search and Rescue
    Ghost in the Machine
    The Queen
    - possibly First Contact and The Lost Tribe
    Outsiders
    Inquisition
    The Prodigal
    Remnants (for the Sheppard storyline if nothing else. KOLYA!)
    Infection
    Vegas (it's AU, but hey, it's a Sheppard fest!)
    Enemy at the Gate
    Thanks for the list! Some of those are episodes I enjoyed, and therefore remember. Vegas = scruffy!JF acting his heart out + style + music + Sparky parallelism = JT happy

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Season 4 - Doppelganger

As much as it pains me... you should watch this too, JT-2. Concerning the development on a Lemming-related character in Rising.
    Aww, poor little lemming! katetey_kiss.gif But you get to see Kate in that sexy black nightie.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    Ooh, and I got that full time school job I've been applying for since January! Normally scheduled life, here I come!
    Congrats!!!

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
    I remember at the time season 4 just had a better flow (even though I hated what they were doing). I think the writers actually had to do some planning in that season because they were writing out Elizabeth and working around Rachel's pregnancy. Season 5 just sort of seemed like a hodge podge of stuff thrown together.
    I tend to remember season 4 more because there were so many things I hated (Elizabeth's "arc", Reunion, Travellers, Trio). Season 5, I had more of a "meh" reaction. There are episodes about which I have zero recollection (Outsiders? Infection? Um... I got nothing).

That's got to be the explanation. S4 was definitely more arc-driven than S5.

Of course, our arcs for Atlantis Rising will be better.
    Your Atlantis Rising is going to be better than a LOT of things.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Thanks for the list! Some of those are episodes I enjoyed, and therefore remember. Vegas = scruffy!JF acting his heart out + style + music + Sparky parallelism = JT happy
      I think we all loved Vegas. It was so different, yet so awesome.

Your Atlantis Rising is going to be better than a LOT of things.
      Heh!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        SK and FH covered it. Anything outside the main arcs isn't necessary.
        I agree, as far as I can remember, though we sort of touch on almost everything. Almost everything that features the Wraith in Seasons 4 & 5 will be important, too, because of the developments mentioned in the civil war.

You can always ask me to look it over for you... as far as everyone else is concerned I'm apparently the foremost expert on everything Heightmeyer related.

Post more so that you can really join in, without having your posts moderated (it's a newbie-thing to allow the board admins to determine whether you are a real person or a bot).

Oopsies...

I'm in the process of collection information just to answer questions like these. Only just started so you'll have to be patient.

I don't think it will be enough... cause the DHD in Antarctica was bust as well when Carter and O'Neill were trapped there, and the gate was still operational otherwise a wormhole deviation hadn't been possible.

Also, the address isn't connected to the stargate but to the position of the planet within a system, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to pluck gates from planets in SG1 to use elsewhere. (though don't quote me on that - I would have to do a rewatch of SG1 to be sure)

Season 4 - Doppelganger

As much as it pains me... you should watch this too, JT-2. Concerning the development on a Lemming-related character in Rising.
        I also think that the addresses are position based, which is why one gate on Earth would trump another, but that raises an interesting question concerning the galactic bridge and how it worked. I don't think crystals are needed to dial into gates because some of the fancy re-routing tricks, like connecting to the Supergate, were done without dialing into those gates, right? They sort of went bompty bomp bomp bomp BOOM in TPP and got it to connect? My theory was that gates were like telephones and the whole burying thing was like trying to prevent reception from an incoming call. They had no bars. *LOL* If the gate couldn't 'sense' it then it couldn't pick up the incoming matter stream and no connection. But if the gate was there, and it was dialed to, then it would receive the call--after all, isn't that sort of how space gates worked? They typically didn't have dialing crystals present unless you were trying to dial out via PJ.

But I'm not an SG-1 historian, so I could be wrong...
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

It almost seems like they ran out of ideas. *scratches head*

You lost me at "removing the control crystals". I'm thankful for all you techie folks.

And super congrats on the job.

*points to previous remarks* At this point they were throwing it all against the wall and nothing was sticking.

Like on Days of Our Lives when someone goes upstairs in the Horton house and is never seen again. *waves to Nathan*

Good catch. That does look like her.

I think that part is about right. If in The Rising Jinto was age 12-early teens, he would correctly be 17 in Homecoming.
          I had him pegged for about eight to ten in The Rising, that's why the seventeen thing seemed odd to me

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

As I understand it, the surface of the iris (and the shield on the Atlantis gate) are just far away enough from the gate opening that it'll allow the puddle to form (useful so they can send communication signals through), but anyone trying to physically come through goes splat against the iris/shield.
          But then they should close the iris/shield before the kawoosh, in case someone is standing next to the gate and lobs a bomb through immediately after the wormhole establishes.

And in a practical sense, if that meant to be true, then burying the gate would never work. Dirt and sand won't form a complete seal around the gate, no matter how much it is compacted. They can't even keep their own tech consistent.

There's an ep in SG-1 (the one where O'Neill is isolated from the team on another planet after the gate gets hit by a meteorite and hooks up with a local lady whom he may or may not have impregnated) where the gate in underground but still manages to establish a wormhole because the energy from the kawoosh disintegrates everything in front of it.

That said, I think there's another one where they move the iris closer to the gate and weld it there, which kills the gate.

I don't watch Sanctuary, so I wouldn't know.
          It's been a while for me, but I think that's her. Or maybe it's the girl from Outsiders (Novo)?

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          I agree, as far as I can remember, though we sort of touch on almost everything. Almost everything that features the Wraith in Seasons 4 & 5 will be important, too, because of the developments mentioned in the civil war.

I also think that the addresses are position based, which is why one gate on Earth would trump another, but that raises an interesting question concerning the galactic bridge and how it worked. I don't think crystals are needed to dial into gates because some of the fancy re-routing tricks, like connecting to the Supergate, were done without dialing into those gates, right? They sort of went bompty bomp bomp bomp BOOM in TPP and got it to connect? My theory was that gates were like telephones and the whole burying thing was like trying to prevent reception from an incoming call. They had no bars. *LOL* If the gate couldn't 'sense' it then it couldn't pick up the incoming matter stream and no connection. But if the gate was there, and it was dialed to, then it would receive the call--after all, isn't that sort of how space gates worked? They typically didn't have dialing crystals present unless you were trying to dial out via PJ.

Presumably the macro worked like dialling in from a jumper. The gate stored you in it's buffer, then dialled the next one and sent you onwards, repeated until midway.

We seem to have gotten a bit off topic here. The point I was trying to make is that it would be easy to hand wave which gate you wanted to use in RTP.
          sigpic

Comment

*headdesk* I can't believe I forgot Doppelganger! I think I must've blocked it out because I'm still pissed at what they did to Kate.
            It's the ultimate climax to Kate/Teyla. Sadly also the end of it... ...darn it!
            But generall yeah I too am pretending it didn't happen.

*offers the Lemming a bowl of sugar as a peace offering*
            *nom nom nom*

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
            Plus, in that second one, it's new!Ashley from Sanctuary. It is her, right?
            Yup, that is indeed Kate Freelander from Sanctury - Agam Darshi.

There must have been a time dilation field within that hole, as he reappears older in Homecoming.
            He was picked up by the Tardis and turned companion to the Doctor - all sorts of things happen on those adventures. And before he knew it - he grew older due to some freakish Dalek intervention.

Or he just was that old in Rising and thus in Homecoming the age of young adult.

I like my version better though...

Pretty much. S4 = oh noes! Weir is a replicator, lets kill them all so she can't come back. s5 = oh ****! we don't have any villians, we'll have to actually write some character stories

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
            Don't worry as I proposed to SR the writers of The Legacy had it covered. Liz is gonna fall fro the sky onto Kates replacement killing her on impact. I have a funny feeling some Lemming will have to do with it.
            I... no comment.

But you get to see Kate in that sexy black nightie.
            Oh... yeah, that little black piece of total hotness... didn't notice it really. ...

What?

I really didn't.... notice.... it....

I'm not being convincing, am I?

Did you know btw that it was sold in one of the propworx auctions? Don't remember what it went for though. Found it rather weird it was being auctioned in the first place. And no, I didn't bid on it. I did bid on one of Claire's Kate shirts but lost out by a dollar... one freaking dollar.

They sort of went bompty bomp bomp bomp BOOM in TPP and got it to connect?
            They sorta did what?
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

But then they should close the iris/shield before the kawoosh, in case someone is standing next to the gate and lobs a bomb through immediately after the wormhole establishes.
              And they do close the iris/shield first. Haven't you ever noticed that?

And in a practical sense, if that meant to be true, then burying the gate would never work. Dirt and sand won't form a complete seal around the gate, no matter how much it is compacted. They can't even keep their own tech consistent.

There's an ep in SG-1 (the one where O'Neill is isolated from the team on another planet after the gate gets hit by a meteorite and hooks up with a local lady whom he may or may not have impregnated) where the gate in underground but still manages to establish a wormhole because the energy from the kawoosh disintegrates everything in front of it.

That said, I think there's another one where they move the iris closer to the gate and weld it there, which kills the gate.
              I seem to recall that they established there was a minimum space requirement necessary to allow the wormhole to form. That's why burying the gate keeps anyone from connecting to it; with the dirt right on top of it, the minimum space requirement for even a baby kawoosh cannot be met. But the iris/shield is positioned just far away enough for the wormhole to form.

Presumably the macro worked like dialling in from a jumper. The gate stored you in it's buffer, then dialled the next one and sent you onwards, repeated until midway.
              I think that's pretty much how it was explained on the show.

We seem to have gotten a bit off topic here. The point I was trying to make is that it would be easy to hand wave which gate you wanted to use in RTP.
              Of course, since it wasn't stated on the show which gate was in use, we don't even need to handwave anyway.

He was picked up by the Tardis and turned companion to the Doctor - all sorts of things happen on those adventures. And before he knew it - he grew older due to some freakish Dalek intervention.

Or he just was that old in Rising and thus in Homecoming the age of young adult.

I like my version better though...
              LMAO! Now that's crackalicious!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I seem to recall that they established there was a minimum space requirement necessary to allow the wormhole to form. That's why burying the gate keeps anyone from connecting to it; with the dirt right on top of it, the minimum space requirement for even a baby kawoosh cannot be met. But the iris/shield is positioned just far away enough for the wormhole to form.
                0.3 something... and it's not microds.

Comment

Hey peeps, I still can't get on LJ so if you haven't gotten a response to a comment, don't blame me. I'm glad I got the lecture from Mr. SR last night on why some people can get on a site when others can't...servers, servers, load balancing, blahblahblah. Now I at least know I'm not being singled out.

I see our guests have increased once again. I love being the thread on GW that people just can't stay away from. Go us!
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I see our guests have increased once again. I love being the thread on GW that people just can't stay away from. Go us!
                    With the amount of sugar I get here... why would I want to stay away in the first place?

Comment

0.3 something... and it's not microds.
                      Yeah, I figured it was some really tiny amount.

Hey peeps, I still can't get on LJ so if you haven't gotten a response to a comment, don't blame me. I'm glad I got the lecture from Mr. SR last night on why some people can get on a site when others can't...servers, servers, load balancing, blahblahblah. Now I at least know I'm not being singled out.
                      *kicks LJ* Stop misbehaving!

Sparky is just oh-so popular!

With the amount of sugar I get here... why would I want to stay away in the first place?
                      Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Comment

Like on Days of Our Lives when someone goes upstairs in the Horton house and is never seen again. *waves to Nathan*
                        Spoiler:
                        Are the Hortons still around on Days? I haven't watched that show in decades (and you don't want me to - every soap I've watched gets cancelled eventually - Another World, Santa Barbara, Guiding Light). I haven't been obsessed with a soap since college though. I used to skip classes if they happened to be in the 3-4pm timeslot.

And they still found that they couldn't do S5 without Weir anyway. They couldn't even do the yearly clip episode without her! That amuses me so much.
                        John should have talked about Elizabeth in that ep, not Woolsey. Although I was surprised they mentioned her at all, and that they were kind about it.

I think we all loved Vegas. It was so different, yet so awesome.
                        It's definitely a JF feast. I sincerely doubt they meant to put in the Sparky parallelism but I don't care. It's on screen, therefore it's canon.

As long as I don't have to watch Trio or Brainstorm, I'm happy. Oh and the bolded part, is that the technical description? LOL!

Oh... yeah, that little black piece of total hotness... didn't notice it really. ...

What?

I really didn't.... notice.... it....

I'm not being convincing, am I?

Did you know btw that it was sold in one of the propworx auctions? Don't remember what it went for though. Found it rather weird it was being auctioned in the first place. And no, I didn't bid on it. I did bid on one of Claire's Kate shirts but lost out by a dollar... one freaking dollar.
                        Um, not convincing at all! You lost by one dollar? That stinks!!

Yeah it's not working for me either. Hmm, I remember when I used to lurk. Now you can't shut me up.

Comment

John should have talked about Elizabeth in that ep, not Woolsey. Although I was surprised they mentioned her at all, and that they were kind about it.
                          I suppose Woolsey was feeling remorseful about giving Elizabeth such a hard time while she was leader in Atlantis. Must've felt a lot different for him when he was the one sitting in the hot seat.

It's definitely a JF feast. I sincerely doubt they meant to put in the Sparky parallelism but I don't care. It's on screen, therefore it's canon.
                          Word!

As long as I don't have to watch Trio or Brainstorm, I'm happy. Oh and the bolded part, is that the technical description? LOL!
                          Heck, I have to use a chart to come up with technobabble.

Yeah it's not working for me either. Hmm, I remember when I used to lurk. Now you can't shut me up.
                          And that's a good thing! The more of us here and having fun, the better!

Comment

Um, not convincing at all! You lost by one dollar? That stinks!!

Yeah, it made me sad for a bit... I really would have liked to have added it to my SG-stuff, but then again... what the frak would I have done with it. I'd probably taken the opportunity to send it back to Claire with kind regards.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Are the Hortons still around on Days? I haven't watched that show in decades (and you don't want me to - every soap I've watched gets cancelled eventually - Another World, Santa Barbara, Guiding Light). I haven't been obsessed with a soap since college though. I used to skip classes if they happened to be in the 3-4pm timeslot.
                              Some of them are. OT stuff
                              Spoiler:
                              I've been watching Days since high school. It's my second addiction after SGA. The actress who played Mrs. H passed away last year. So sad, but yeah the Hortons and the Bradys are still going strong. Bo and Hope just got back together for about the fifth time. LOL
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Some of them are. OT stuff
                                Spoiler:
                                I've been watching Days since high school. It's my second addiction after SGA. The actress who played Mrs. H passed away last year. So sad, but yeah the Hortons and the Bradys are still going strong. Bo and Hope just got back together for about the fifth time. LOL
                                OT
                                Spoiler:
                                Only the 5th time? I used to watch it with my grandma when I was little, and I've watched it occasionally since. Alice was so awesome. There were a lot of great "super couples" on that show. Guiding Light was my high school/college love. Then the actor who played my favorite male got ALS. The show laid him off when his speech started to slur. I couldn't really enjoy the show after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X