Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddc View Post
    On where to anchor Atlantis, what if there's a land formation like the Florida peninsula or San Francisco area - bay/gulf with calm water on one side and open ocean on the other?

Would it be a problem finding an uninhabited planet with significant land masses but no Stargate though?
    And we may have a workable solution.

It won't be a problem if we write it correctly. And you know we will write it correctly.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      Okay, well, if most people like the idea of a large lake/gulf we can do that. Though, how do we work in Hawaii style surfing beaches in a lake setting?
      I agree, I'm not a fan of the lake-idea, I prefer the sea and I know that our Elizabeth loves the sound of the ocean

It would be great, however, have both an ocean and more land than in the previous planets, with mountains, waterfalls and a lot to explore. You never know, exploring the land they might even find traces of a very old non-human civilization or animals never seen on Earth

Let's choose a name for this new planet: what about "Numa"? (stealing the name from an island invented by E.S. Posthumus) *neph-snickners*

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
        I agree, I'm not a fan of the lake-idea, I prefer the sea and I know that our Elizabeth loves the sound of the ocean

It would be great, however, have both an ocean and more land than in the previous planets, with mountains, waterfalls and a lot to explore. You never know, exploring the land they might even find traces of a very old non-human civilization or animals never seen on Earth

Let's choose a name for this new planet: what about "Numa"? (stealing the name from an island invented by E.S. Posthumus) *neph-snickners*
        How about if we concentrate on S6 first? We've barely scratched the surface of that one. All these ideas for S7 can be bookmarked for later.

Now weren't we talking about the First Year episode? Any ideas for the challenge they have to face?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          How about if we concentrate on S6 first?
          I was talking about S6, as a matter of fact. The planet where Atlantis shoulda/woulda/coulda return in episode 1-2.

Now weren't we talking about the First Year episode? Any ideas for the challenge they have to face?
          No, sorry, no ideas for christening+athosian traditions. So I'll just shut up. Don't want to disturb.
          Good brainstorming!

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
            Shrill and uninformed lemmings ...
            Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            With appetites for sugar...
            That could lead to all sorts of trouble. You have no idea...
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Okay, well, if most people like the idea of a large lake/gulf we can do that. Though, how do we work in Hawaii style surfing beaches in a lake setting?

I promise I'm not trying to squelch the idea, because I really love it. But I'm trying to figure out how to practically include it in our season, which isn't going to have very many chances to see the world Atlantis is actually on.

What if we save the lake for S7, when they're cut off from Earth (emergency landing after they knock out the bad guys, the only option is a large, lake-like body of water)? That would give us a lot of neat chances to explore a closed off setting. We may not get much chance to do it in S6 when our people are all over the place and then, on top of that, we have to leave it in the finale. It seems a shame to waste a setting such as this.
              That's a good point; with such a change in setting, we're going to want to have time to really play with it. So I'm also in favor of holding on to this idea for S7 when we eventually get to it.

Okay! So we've sorta discussed a little about Todd--I'll try and pitch more about the Todd episode when I've done my Season 5 watch.

So we'll move on to the Christening episode which will be written by Erin87. The general premise is that Torren is celebrating a milestone in the Athosian culture, but danger develops when a creature/person/evil thing on New Athos interrupts and sends everybody scrambling to defend themselves/the settlement/the people.

Any additional thoughts or suggestions? And it's tentatively titled "First Year", which works as Torren was born in the beginning of S5. However, other title suggestions are welcome.
              In terms of the timeline, we'll need to establish how long after EatG that Return to Pegasus and Todd's episode are going to take place. By my calculations, we've got about a two-month window after S5's Remnants for Brain Storm, Infection, Identity, EatG, and then Return to Pegasus/Todd's episode to all take place before we can get to First Year. (Woolsey gets his nine-month review in Remnants; also, Torren was born about 3-4 weeks before Woolsey arrived in The Seed, so Torren should be about 10 months old in Remnants. In addition, Brain Storm has to factor in McKay and Keller's travel time to and from Earth, so that's going to eat up a lot of time.)

As long as we're not doing First Year on the exact anniversary of Torren's birth, we'll be okay. Perhaps it can be a public commemoration taking place within a couple of weeks after his actual birthday.

Originally posted by ddc View Post
              On where to anchor Atlantis, what if there's a land formation like the Florida peninsula or San Francisco area - bay/gulf with calm water on one side and open ocean on the other?

Would it be a problem finding an uninhabited planet with significant land masses but no Stargate though?
              I can't imagine it would be that much of a problem... there are likely a number of habitable worlds that may have been left without gates for one reason or another. Or maybe it's a world with an orbital gate... that might be interesting to work with.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              That could lead to all sorts of trouble. You have no idea...
              *snickers*
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

That's a good point; with such a change in setting, we're going to want to have time to really play with it. So I'm also in favor of holding on to this idea for S7 when we eventually get to it.

In terms of the timeline, we'll need to establish how long after EatG that Return to Pegasus and Todd's episode are going to take place. By my calculations, we've got about a two-month window after S5's Remnants for Brain Storm, Infection, Identity, EatG, and then Return to Pegasus/Todd's episode to all take place before we can get to First Year. (Woolsey gets his nine-month review in Remnants; also, Torren was born about 3-4 weeks before Woolsey arrived in The Seed, so Torren should be about 10 months old in Remnants. In addition, Brain Storm has to factor in McKay and Keller's travel time to and from Earth, so that's going to eat up a lot of time.)

As long as we're not doing First Year on the exact anniversary of Torren's birth, we'll be okay. Perhaps it can be a public commemoration taking place within a couple of weeks after his actual birthday.

I can't imagine it would be that much of a problem... there are likely a number of habitable worlds that may have been left without gates for one reason or another. Or maybe it's a world with an orbital gate... that might be interesting to work with.

*snickers*
                So now I'm really confused. Where did we decide we're going to land them when we first return to Pegasus? Back on the 5 moon planet?

And I do like the idea of finding a different kind of planet and see the need for lots of development there. In fact it can take up a good part of an early S7 ep.

Torren doesn't have to have his ceremony even near the exact date. They can say with all the excitement it wasn't possible but when they are settled back home it's a good excuse for a big celebration. If anything, the Athosians have learned to be flexible. LOL
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I don't think the Athosians are really that picky about specific days (and especially with moving to different planets and stuff it would be hard to keep track).

How about if we concentrate on S6 first? We've barely scratched the surface of that one. All these ideas for S7 can be bookmarked for later.

Well, back a couple of weeks ago when it was first worked out that I would write this ep, I started doing a kind of summary of what I thought might happen so I would be prepared and not forget stuff when it was time to start writing. Here's what I came up with:

Spoiler:
                  First Year

Open with scene on Atlantis between John and Rodney (or Ronon) where John is wondering what to get Torren.

John rested one hand on his hip and ran the other through his nest of black hair. “What are you getting?”
                  “Me? Oh, uh, Jennifer’s taking care of it. It’ll be something from the both of us.”
                  (something to that effect, with Rodney being smug that he's got a girlfriend and doesn't have to worry about it.)

John, Rodney, Ronon, Carson, and Keller go to New Athos for Torren’s First Year celebration. This is a tradition of the Athosian people for centuries - has its roots in the wish to celebrate life even under the threat of the Wraith. Teyla and Kanaan laugh and talk with their friends and families. One old man tells stories to John and Ronon about Teyla’s embarrassing escapades during her childhood, much to her chagrin. (you just know they are going to tease her later.) Things are going well - a child sprains their wrist while playing and Keller has to bind it up, but the pre-ceremony celebration is otherwise going well. John talks to Jinto and kinda does the ruffle-the-hair thing since he’s grown quite a bit since he’s last seen him. Halling is there too, and kind of takes the grandfatherly role in making a huge fuss over little Torren, who by now is making his first attempts to walk (tossing him into the air, beaming with pride, etc.). Kanaan and Ronon are pal-ing around somehow. Kanaan asks where someone is (cousin? adopted brother?) and is told that he is with a group either hunting or on a trade excursion. Nothing much more is thought of that.

The feast is in full swing, when a heart-stopping roar is heard in the forest. Since these are tough people, panic doesn’t break out, but things are definitely uneasy. John and Ronon go on the alert, and there is much wonderings of ‘what the hell was that?’. People assume there must be a wild animal, but there have been no such reports of it. It is a few minutes and something is crashing through the woods towards the settlement. John and Ronon raise their guns (cause there’s no way they wouldn’t come prepared) and the rest of the Athosian warriors (Teyla included) all have their weapons at the ready. A man, one of the hunting party, bursts through into the clearing, staggering and badly wounded with blood on his face. Keller and Carson rush to treat him, and the man pants out something barely coherent yet horrifying about what happened (some kind of savage creature). The entire village goes on red alert, with patrols formed and everything. John and Ronon and the Athosians start to organize scouting parties to hunt down the creature. Carson insists on going with one of them since there might be more survivors from the first attack out there. While they’re getting ready, John sends Rodney and somebody else to dial Atlantis and send for help. Rodney comes back with bad news - the gate has been disabled and cannot be fixed - we realize that the creature is intelligent as well as savage. John takes in the news, and determination is renewed that they have to hunt this thing down and kill it.

Meanwhile, Keller is treating the man who burst out of the woods, and he is able to reveal the whole story of what has happened. It is revealed that the hunting party was walking through the woods on the way back; K’s adopted brother was bitten by some kind of rabid animal. They kill it, but later the brother’s behavior starts to change and he eventually turns into a creature that attacks the entire party and then runs deep into the woods. Keller, horrified, rushes to tell the news that it isn’t an animal that’s stalking in the woods, but a person. Now the mission has changed to capture instead of kill. Jinto insists on being one of the hunting party; John doesn’t like it and looks to Halling for backup, thinking he won’t want his son in danger either, but Jinto is now old enough that Halling has no right to stop him. Kanaan insists on going too, since it’s his relative. (he’s in the same group as Carson)

John asks Teyla if she’s coming on the hunt, but she refuses, saying she would rather stay behind and help defend the settlement and her son. Night falls and the hunting party must wait until morning. The settlement is completely lit up, with rings of torches and guards patrolling. (we get to see more of those handy Athosian fire-lighting things). It’s a tense night. Teyla and Kanaan comfort each other around a fire, and are a little sad that their son’s joyful occasion has turned into something so bad. There is more interaction among the Athosians and we get to meet more of them.

Now that's just ideas I had at the time. That's only probably less than half of the ep (or maybe half, not sure), so any ideas for the second part are welcome. I am going to use the Teyla-sings-at-the-ceremony idea, perhaps for the ending. I'm also kind of vague about what exactly creature-izes this guy, so I'm open to any ideas on that too.
                  sigpic
                  Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

ETA: Erin, that is some awesome stuff you've got planned for First Year!

So now I'm really confused. Where did we decide we're going to land them when we first return to Pegasus? Back on the 5 moon planet?

And I do like the idea of finding a different kind of planet and see the need for lots of development there. In fact it can take up a good part of an early S7 ep.
                    Actually, we haven't really decided that yet. It's been suggested that Atlantis shouldn't go back to Lantea, since the Wraith already know about it, and I think even New Lantea (5 moon planet) might be iffy as some of the Wraith may know about it because of Todd. I guess at this point, we're all thinking, 'generic mostly-water planet' for S6, and keep the nifty forest planet with the BIG lake/sea/sheltered ocean gulf for where they wind up in S7.

Torren doesn't have to have his ceremony even near the exact date. They can say with all the excitement it wasn't possible but when they are settled back home it's a good excuse for a big celebration. If anything, the Athosians have learned to be flexible. LOL
                    Very true! I'm definitely in favor of that idea.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                      Yeah, that sounds good to me. I don't think the Athosians are really that picky about specific days (and especially with moving to different planets and stuff it would be hard to keep track).

Well, back a couple of weeks ago when it was first worked out that I would write this ep, I started doing a kind of summary of what I thought might happen so I would be prepared and not forget stuff when it was time to start writing. Here's what I came up with:

Spoiler:
                      First Year

Open with scene on Atlantis between John and Rodney (or Ronon) where John is wondering what to get Torren.

John rested one hand on his hip and ran the other through his nest of black hair. “What are you getting?”
                      “Me? Oh, uh, Jennifer’s taking care of it. It’ll be something from the both of us.”
                      (something to that effect, with Rodney being smug that he's got a girlfriend and doesn't have to worry about it.)

John, Rodney, Ronon, Carson, and Keller go to New Athos for Torren’s First Year celebration. This is a tradition of the Athosian people for centuries - has its roots in the wish to celebrate life even under the threat of the Wraith. Teyla and Kanaan laugh and talk with their friends and families. One old man tells stories to John and Ronon about Teyla’s embarrassing escapades during her childhood, much to her chagrin. (you just know they are going to tease her later.) Things are going well - a child sprains their wrist while playing and Keller has to bind it up, but the pre-ceremony celebration is otherwise going well. John talks to Jinto and kinda does the ruffle-the-hair thing since he’s grown quite a bit since he’s last seen him. Halling is there too, and kind of takes the grandfatherly role in making a huge fuss over little Torren, who by now is making his first attempts to walk (tossing him into the air, beaming with pride, etc.). Kanaan and Ronon are pal-ing around somehow. Kanaan asks where someone is (cousin? adopted brother?) and is told that he is with a group either hunting or on a trade excursion. Nothing much more is thought of that.

The feast is in full swing, when a heart-stopping roar is heard in the forest. Since these are tough people, panic doesn’t break out, but things are definitely uneasy. John and Ronon go on the alert, and there is much wonderings of ‘what the hell was that?’. People assume there must be a wild animal, but there have been no such reports of it. It is a few minutes and something is crashing through the woods towards the settlement. John and Ronon raise their guns (cause there’s no way they wouldn’t come prepared) and the rest of the Athosian warriors (Teyla included) all have their weapons at the ready. A man, one of the hunting party, bursts through into the clearing, staggering and badly wounded with blood on his face. Keller and Carson rush to treat him, and the man pants out something barely coherent yet horrifying about what happened (some kind of savage creature). The entire village goes on red alert, with patrols formed and everything. John and Ronon and the Athosians start to organize scouting parties to hunt down the creature. Carson insists on going with one of them since there might be more survivors from the first attack out there. While they’re getting ready, John sends Rodney and somebody else to dial Atlantis and send for help. Rodney comes back with bad news - the gate has been disabled and cannot be fixed - we realize that the creature is intelligent as well as savage. John takes in the news, and determination is renewed that they have to hunt this thing down and kill it.

Meanwhile, Keller is treating the man who burst out of the woods, and he is able to reveal the whole story of what has happened. It is revealed that the hunting party was walking through the woods on the way back; K’s adopted brother was bitten by some kind of rabid animal. They kill it, but later the brother’s behavior starts to change and he eventually turns into a creature that attacks the entire party and then runs deep into the woods. Keller, horrified, rushes to tell the news that it isn’t an animal that’s stalking in the woods, but a person. Now the mission has changed to capture instead of kill. Jinto insists on being one of the hunting party; John doesn’t like it and looks to Halling for backup, thinking he won’t want his son in danger either, but Jinto is now old enough that Halling has no right to stop him. Kanaan insists on going too, since it’s his relative. (he’s in the same group as Carson)

John asks Teyla if she’s coming on the hunt, but she refuses, saying she would rather stay behind and help defend the settlement and her son. Night falls and the hunting party must wait until morning. The settlement is completely lit up, with rings of torches and guards patrolling. (we get to see more of those handy Athosian fire-lighting things). It’s a tense night. Teyla and Kanaan comfort each other around a fire, and are a little sad that their son’s joyful occasion has turned into something so bad. There is more interaction among the Athosians and we get to meet more of them.

Now that's just ideas I had at the time. That's only probably less than half of the ep (or maybe half, not sure), so any ideas for the second part are welcome. I am going to use the Teyla-sings-at-the-ceremony idea, perhaps for the ending. I'm also kind of vague about what exactly creature-izes this guy, so I'm open to any ideas on that too.
                      Wow, you've done a lot of thinking. This sounds great but I got nothing. Hello all you clever people. It looks like it has to be something that can be solved rather quickly so we can get back to the celebration. I like the idea of ending with Teyla's song.

Uh oh, Mr. SR is home. Gotta go.
                      sigpic

Comment

Like SK said, I think just a generic oceanic planet for now, but with a mainland that has maybe Hawaiian style beaches for surfing so we can have the surfing scene in Ronon the Empath. But otherwise, just a plain ol' boring ocean planet (that'll save us on budget, too, since we can keep the same ol' stock shots. )

Spoiler:
                        First Year

Wow! You've got an awesome story so far! I like Jinto's coming of age and tying the monster to Kanaan so we can get some depth for him, too.

I'll need to think on it a little more based around what you've already got.
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Spoiler:
                          First Year

I really really like this idea! What creature-izes this guy? Hmmm.... could it be something reversible? Like, if the infected person was captured on time there is an antidote that could be used?

What I'd like to see is all of them resorting only to clever strategies to catch the creature. If they shouldn't kills him, amybe they can't use guns at all? Basically a what to do without a gun kind of setup.
                          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Gutter distraction! John has a little problem:

Spoiler:

Comfortable sitting position is a matter of urgency:

Spoiler:

However, Elizabeth isn't making his life easier:

Spoiler:

So he startes at her.... eyes, yes, eyes, and feels *ouch*

Spoiler:

Comment

Anuna! You are a naughty, naughty girl. Just sayin'.

Like SK said, I think just a generic oceanic planet for now, but with a mainland that has maybe Hawaiian style beaches for surfing so we can have the surfing scene in Ronon the Empath. But otherwise, just a plain ol' boring ocean planet (that'll save us on budget, too, since we can keep the same ol' stock shots. )
                              Don'tcha just love all those cost-cutting measures? LOL!

Wow! You've got an awesome story so far! I like Jinto's coming of age and tying the monster to Kanaan so we can get some depth for him, too.
                              Me too! This will give Kanaan something really awesome to do and give the audience a chance to see how he's integrated with the Atlantis crew and formed friendships with all of Teyla's teammates. I'm especially digging the very buddy-buddy vibe from the bits about Kanaan and Ronon working together.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                              I really really like this idea! What creature-izes this guy? Hmmm.... could it be something reversible? Like, if the infected person was captured on time there is an antidote that could be used?
                              Oooh, maybe it's like a kind of Pegasus Galaxy rabies. And part of it is that it sort of mutates the victim into something with some of the characteristics of whatever animal infected the victim. Like the Wolfman, only it requires an antidote (maybe a rare plant?) to reverse. The makeup department is gonna have a field day with this one!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                              What I'd like to see is all of them resorting only to clever strategies to catch the creature. If they shouldn't kills him, amybe they can't use guns at all? Basically a what to do without a gun kind of setup.
                              Or at least, everyone except for Ronon can't use guns. Since Ronon's gun has that sweet stun setting. Unless we can figure out some way of getting Ronon's gun out of the picture temporarily...

Comment

What if the creature attacks Ronon and takes a bite? aaaangst and guess what - their motivation to fix this went sky high.

I would like them to know at leasts omething about this disease/condition. maybe old Athosians have heard of it? If it's Peg - galaxy version of rabies then Athosians must have heard of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X