Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    Nice--and it makes Ronon smart, which is always a plus!

I like the idea of a plague, but we've already had the 'we knew about it and you didn't' sickness in--what was it, Tabula Rasa? It might be more interesting to have it be something nobody heard about, or a disease that is known but rare. So the Athosians can say 'yeah, we know about it' and everybody moves on rather than dwelling on another 'Earth-people-can't-handle-it-plague'.

Maybe part of the suspense of the chase is how Keller and Carson know what they have to get to cure it but going in the woods is dangerous.

I like the idea of Elizabeth/Kanaan sharing a scene. We know she doesn't know him personally based on what she says in GITM (she seemed to imply that she'd only heard Teyla talk of him but didn't know him personally, so maybe doesn't remember him too well from when the Athosians were on Atlantis (neither do most people *lol*).

We're not really going to see the Athosians again when Elizabeth returns unless we come up with a good reason for Kanaan to be involved in one of the episodes post-Lockdown.

What if we have Kanaan be the voice of the Athosians in the Pegasus Coalition? Then we can have him appear in The Pegasus Coalition episode where Elizabeth steps up to represent Atlantis, and they can have a good chat there. It would fit in with him 'empathizing' with her, too, because she's starting to feel uncertain of herself as we lead down to HOM.

Also, food for thought--Remember John's "I hit more than you" game in Sateda? How do John and Kanaan act around each other? I think it might be funny to have a sort of 'I'm more man than you are' thing in the early part of the season (pre-Elizabeth), as though Kanaan's a little jealous of John's being Teyla's commander, and John's a little jealous (solely in a friendly, team-member possessive sense) of Kanaan's influence on Teyla. Would that make sense? *really needs to see Season 5*
    Yes, I like that idea very much. I remember this conversation from Missing. Teyla said earlier that she has a friend who is afraid to challenge himself.

KELLER: So, this friend of yours – one of your team members? A certain uptight astro-physicist, maybe?

TEYLA: No. Athosian. His name is Kannan. A natural leader, but he isn't aware of it. Burdened by an overly-cautious nature. (She looks down sadly.)

KELLER: He's more than a friend, isn't he? He's the one you were coming to see – on a hot date.

(Teyla looks away, sighing.)

KELLER: Sorry – it's none of my business. I should just learn to shut up.

TEYLA: We have known each other since childhood, but only recently condoled more than a friendship. (She looks at Jennifer.) I have not told anyone yet.

KELLER (sympathetically): I'm so sorry.

TEYLA: We need more water.

I think they dropped the ball having Elizabeth not know him but I guess if he was quiet and shy, he wouldn't have put himself forward when they were on Atlantis the first time. There also was another dropped ball in Broken Ties when Ronon makes fun of Kanaan for being frightened by the shower and Teyla says he is having difficulty adjusting to life in Atlantis. He had to have been with them in the early days. Were there any Athosians not on Atlantis in Hide and Seek? No wonder some viewers had trouble with this character.

I think John would be a little hesitant around him and Kanaan would be a bit intimidated by John. He and Rodney and Ronon may have to make a "she's like a little sister to us plus she can kick all our asses" speech.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      *cracks up* We absolutely must put in a scene like that. Maybe over lunch in the mess hall with the rest of the team? Then Rodney comes in with some sort of whiny line about how he got an allergic reaction to the Iratus bug eggs when they went to get them in Conversion, or something. And Ronon rolls his eyes and tells McKay to shut up and eat his meatloaf.
      heee, I like these ideas very much! I think we need many of these everyday, family - feel scenes. (That's one of the things I loved about your Big bang fic, SK )

on the First Year idea, I agree with - I think it was Erin who suggested it to have everything happen on New Athosia. What I would love to see in that episode is our heroes being forced to do things Athosian - way -- no shiny Ancient technology, no guns, no real medicines, just using their combined brains and skillz to save the day.
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

On kanaan. I imagine him like a quiet, kind person - maybe something like Carson. (No I totally do not sublininally ship Carson/Teyla. I don't. ) Anyway. Maybe he doesn't say much, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart or that he doesn't have things to say. I can imagine Ronon teasing him, after he and Rodney gave him "she's our little sister who kicks our collective butts" speech, Rodney likes to talka nd talk and talk and I can imagine Kanaan being amused and having lots of patience with Rodney. He is on good terms with Carson and Jennifer, and surprisingley connects with Elizabeth because he knows what it feels like to be feared. As for Kanaan and John, I can imagine initial awkwardness and tension which turns into mutual respect later - I honestly believe Kanaan is a kind and smart person. Both he and John are good men, and they're important men in Teyla's life and they sort of acknowledge all those things by respecting each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          heee, I like these ideas very much! I think we need many of these everyday, family - feel scenes. (That's one of the things I loved about your Big bang fic, SK )

on the First Year idea, I agree with - I think it was Erin who suggested it to have everything happen on New Athosia. What I would love to see in that episode is our heroes being forced to do things Athosian - way -- no shiny Ancient technology, no guns, no real medicines, just using their combined brains and skillz to save the day.
          I love this idea. I really love this idea.

On kanaan. I imagine him like a quiet, kind person - maybe something like Carson. (No I totally do not sublininally ship Carson/Teyla. I don't. ) Anyway. Maybe he doesn't say much, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart or that he doesn't have things to say. I can imagine Ronon teasing him, after he and Rodney gave him "she's our little sister who kicks our collective butts" speech, Rodney likes to talka nd talk and talk and I can imagine Kanaan being amused and having lots of patience with Rodney. He is on good terms with Carson and Jennifer, and surprisingley connects with Elizabeth because he knows what it feels like to be feared. As for Kanaan and John, I can imagine initial awkwardness and tension which turns into mutual respect later - I honestly believe Kanaan is a kind and smart person. Both he and John are good men, and they're important men in Teyla's life and they sort of acknowledge all those things by respecting each other.
          I told you we could write Kanaan better. Patrick is going to be thrilled.
          sigpic

Comment

I like that characterization.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            I love this idea. I really love this idea.

I told you we could write Kanaan better. Patrick is going to be thrilled.
            Ditto. What if Teyla requires that everyone has to leave Atlantis 'stuff' behind for the ceremony (so as not to taint it or something). We can have a great scene of Rodney completely complaining about not being able to bring anything technologically advanced.

They even get 'dropped off' without a jumper at their disposal. So when this disease or whatever hits, everyone has to make due with what the Athosians have to defend themselves with. You could totally see a wrap-up scene with John remarking how he has much more respect for the Athosians after this.
            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Hi again. I've been writing this series. Most of it is about John and Elizabeth's daughter at various stages in her life. I'm writing a story now in hte series that is set shortly after Elizabeth learns she is pregnant. The series is AU, everything that happened from Sunday on doesn't happen in this. Carson's still there, as well as Elizabeth. Kate's there too. Though there is Jennifer. Lots of different pairings though they're mostly in the background.

Anyway, I really don't know where to go about this, so I was wondering if there was anyone willing to look at what I've got so far with this story in the series and see what you think? I'm not as confident in this story as I am with the other stories in the series.

Comment

Ditto. What if Teyla requires that everyone has to leave Atlantis 'stuff' behind for the ceremony (so as not to taint it or something). We can have a great scene of Rodney completely complaining about not being able to bring anything technologically advanced.

They even get 'dropped off' without a jumper at their disposal. So when this disease or whatever hits, everyone has to make due with what the Athosians have to defend themselves with. You could totally see a wrap-up scene with John remarking how he has much more respect for the Athosians after this.
                That's a great idea and something that hasn't been done.
                sigpic

Comment

Nice--and it makes Ronon smart, which is always a plus!
                  You betcha!

I like the idea of a plague, but we've already had the 'we knew about it and you didn't' sickness in--what was it, Tabula Rasa? It might be more interesting to have it be something nobody heard about, or a disease that is known but rare. So the Athosians can say 'yeah, we know about it' and everybody moves on rather than dwelling on another 'Earth-people-can't-handle-it-plague'.

Maybe part of the suspense of the chase is how Keller and Carson know what they have to get to cure it but going in the woods is dangerous.
                  Definitely liking this. I'd go for the "known but rare" option, so the characters can get on with solving the problem without the story getting bogged down by everyone trying to figure out what the problem is.

Keller and Carson going out into the woods to find the cure? Love it! Should anyone else (either Athosian or teammates from Atlantis) be going with them?

I like the idea of Elizabeth/Kanaan sharing a scene. We know she doesn't know him personally based on what she says in GITM (she seemed to imply that she'd only heard Teyla talk of him but didn't know him personally, so maybe doesn't remember him too well from when the Athosians were on Atlantis (neither do most people *lol*).

We're not really going to see the Athosians again when Elizabeth returns unless we come up with a good reason for Kanaan to be involved in one of the episodes post-Lockdown.

What if we have Kanaan be the voice of the Athosians in the Pegasus Coalition? Then we can have him appear in The Pegasus Coalition episode where Elizabeth steps up to represent Atlantis, and they can have a good chat there. It would fit in with him 'empathizing' with her, too, because she's starting to feel uncertain of herself as we lead down to HOM.
                  That? I LOVE that! After what Teyla told Keller about Kanaan in Missing, being a 'natural leader,' having him take on some new responsibilities with the Pegasus Coalition would give him a new avenue to fulfill the potential that Teyla sees in him.

Also, food for thought--Remember John's "I hit more than you" game in Sateda? How do John and Kanaan act around each other? I think it might be funny to have a sort of 'I'm more man than you are' thing in the early part of the season (pre-Elizabeth), as though Kanaan's a little jealous of John's being Teyla's commander, and John's a little jealous (solely in a friendly, team-member possessive sense) of Kanaan's influence on Teyla. Would that make sense? *really needs to see Season 5*
                  *cracks up*

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                  I think they dropped the ball having Elizabeth not know him but I guess if he was quiet and shy, he wouldn't have put himself forward when they were on Atlantis the first time. There also was another dropped ball in Broken Ties when Ronon makes fun of Kanaan for being frightened by the shower and Teyla says he is having difficulty adjusting to life in Atlantis. He had to have been with them in the early days. Were there any Athosians not on Atlantis in Hide and Seek? No wonder some viewers had trouble with this character.

I think John would be a little hesitant around him and Kanaan would be a bit intimidated by John. He and Rodney and Ronon may have to make a "she's like a little sister to us plus she can kick all our asses" speech.
                  All the Athosians were supposed to be on Atlantis in Hide and Seek. In fact, I seem to recall seeing one in Suspicion that looked kind of like Kanaan; it wasn't Patrick, but then, it has been a few years.

Oooh, yes to all of this! It'll really let Ronon and John use their mad survival skillz (hey, if we're going with the 'Sheppard as former Special Ops' theory, well, he'd have gone through SERE, and that's some really rough, brutal experience to have).

You don't subliminally ship Carson/Teyla? Yeah. Suuuuure you don't.

This characterization for Kanaan is awesome! Once he does get accustomed to Teyla's teammates and friends on Atlantis, I can definitely see him being part of the John-Rodney-Ronon band of brothers thing they've got going.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm enjoying the discussion on themes for this episode and wanted to pop in and say I really like the "leaving Atlantis stuff" behind idea. Teyla, however, is going to have to do some pretty hard convincing to get the boys to leave their toys behind. And, this might make the mutating athosian stealing Ronon's stunner not do-able now?

And, I also come seeking knowledge. I'm craving some "post dinner scene" from "the return pt. 1" fic. I remember reading (a really, really, really long time ago) a fic in this setting. I know there are a ton of them out there, and all I can remember is it being cold outside, J & E leave the restaurant together (can't remember whose car). I think E is wearing J's coat, they brush hands in the car. That is literally all I can remember of the fic. How pathetic is that? I remember enjoying it though..... So, I'll take recs on your favorite fic that tags the dinner scene.
                    sigpic
                    Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                      I'm enjoying the discussion on themes for this episode and wanted to pop in and say I really like the "leaving Atlantis stuff" behind idea. Teyla, however, is going to have to do some pretty hard convincing to get the boys to leave their toys behind. And, this might make the mutating athosian stealing Ronon's stunner not do-able now?
                      Oh, crap! That does present a bit of a problem, doesn't it? *pouts*

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                      And, I also come seeking knowledge. I'm craving some "post dinner scene" from "the return pt. 1" fic. I remember reading (a really, really, really long time ago) a fic in this setting. I know there are a ton of them out there, and all I can remember is it being cold outside, J & E leave the restaurant together (can't remember whose car). I think E is wearing J's coat, they brush hands in the car. That is literally all I can remember of the fic. How pathetic is that? I remember enjoying it though..... So, I'll take recs on your favorite fic that tags the dinner scene.
                      And.... I've got nothing. It sounds a bit familiar, I just can't place it.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hmmmmm. Maybe Teyla convinces them to leave all doohickeys but they insist on taking the guns and they sort of compromise?

Comment

I was watching an episode of House and I was wondering why TPTB never had the idea to do an episode like this. It was an episode focus on Cuddy and her job. I would love to see an episode like this with Elizabeth. Follow her during a day. We would see how she handles conflicts, how she negociates, see all the pressure on her shoulders. I know many fans of SGA would be upset by an episode like this because they don't like her but it would be interesting and show how strong she is.
                          sigpic
                          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Hmmmmm. Maybe Teyla convinces them to leave all doohickeys but they insist on taking the guns and they sort of compromise?
                            Maybe Ronon agrees and then hides his gun in his hair conceals his gun about his person somewhere. But I can never see John agreeing to this either.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            I was watching an episode of House and I was wondering why TPTB never had the idea to do an episode like this. It was an episode focus on Cuddy and her job. I would love to see an episode like this with Elizabeth. Follow her during a day. We would see how she handles conflicts, how she negociates, see all the pressure on her shoulders. I know many fans of SGA would be upset by an episode like this because they don't like her but it would be interesting and show how strong she is.
                            That is one of my favorite House episodes. I thought of the same thing. We only got little snippets when she was dealing with the boys or when one of the crew stopped her to get something approved or whatnot. I also remember the scene at the end of Intruder when Radek was all enthusiastic to talk to her and Teyla could tell Elizabeth was a bit upset about something and told Radek he should wait a bit. That's one of the few times we saw the Teyla/Elizabeth connection. Other times also we saw that John was concerned about her overworking like in Sunday when he was glad Teyla was having lunch with her. What other times did he show concern over her except the obvious like in TRW?
                            sigpic

Comment

Hm. We have all episodes planned out, don't we? Maybethis is something we could save for season 7 because there has to be one and in S7 Sparky should finally get together for realz. *grins*

Comment

Originally posted by SGLAB View Post
                                Hi again. I've been writing this series. Most of it is about John and Elizabeth's daughter at various stages in her life. I'm writing a story now in hte series that is set shortly after Elizabeth learns she is pregnant. The series is AU, everything that happened from Sunday on doesn't happen in this. Carson's still there, as well as Elizabeth. Kate's there too. Though there is Jennifer. Lots of different pairings though they're mostly in the background.

Anyway, I really don't know where to go about this, so I was wondering if there was anyone willing to look at what I've got so far with this story in the series and see what you think? I'm not as confident in this story as I am with the other stories in the series.
                                Hey there sweetie. I can look it over.

Comment

Working...
                                X