Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    *snorts*

There's another one! Imagine Elizabeth teaching Teyla the Wraith language in preparation for Teyla's masquerade in "The Queen." That would've been awesome!
    I hadn't even considered that, but you're right, it would've been. They don't actually speak Wraith (the Wraith themselves) that much at all, do they?

The importance of the mission is only one part of the equation; you're forgetting about the size of the force. In Season 1, the expedition only numbered about 200, most of whom were scientists, which went up to around 300-400 by the end of the series (probably around 150-200 military). That's on the low end of the size of force a Lt. Colonel or full-bird Colonel would be expected to command. There's a couple of charts that show it better than I can describe it; one on armies (which more or less also applies to the Marines), and one on air forces.

Remembering that the units in the Stargate program may be staffed to a minimum to avoid attracting attention from those who aren't supposed to know they exist, Stargate Command probably is around the size of a USAF Wing (and likely gets a two-star instead of a one-star because of its top secret nature); by comparison, Atlantis's military probably is only about the size of a USAF Squadron.
    I agree with you on most of that, it's perfectly logical. I was meaning in terms of, for lack of a better description, institutional knowledge. Sure, it makes sense for a Colonel (Carter), or Lt Col (Shep) to be in charge of that number of people, but given the responsibility involved (protecting Earth), maybe someone a little higher up the pecking order should at least be involved. After all, in theory, Dr Weir or Woolsey have 'discretionary authority' over other vessels, such as the Deadalus or Apollo, which are stacked with military personel. Also, in terms of secrecy, they have five Deadalus class ships (the one that was destroyed?? in EatG, Deadalus, Apollo, Odyssey, Hammond), all with military personal - I imagine it'd be harder to keep that a secret than the existence of Atlantis.
    It doesn't really matter anyway, they went with a Colonel and a Major initially, mostly to keep the age and experience down I suspect
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Also, think of this - when people who know John, but haven't met Nancy get to know her, they will inevitably learn something about John too, especially when they see how Nancy is treating John. Perhaps we can draw interesting parallels between John7Nancy and John/Elizabeth dynamic?
      It's possible; we're not planning to have Nancy appear in anything beyond the first episode, but who knows, we may find when we get to later in the season that there might come an instance where she could show up on Atlantis.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      I hadn't even considered that, but you're right, it would've been. They don't actually speak Wraith (the Wraith themselves) that much at all, do they?
      Yeah, for the most part, the Wraith don't seem to speak among themselves all that much. We've seen it a few times in episodes like 'No Man's Land' and 'The Queen.' Perhaps for important discussions, like Queen to Queen or Queen to her second, it happens more often.

I agree with you on most of that, it's perfectly logical. I was meaning in terms of, for lack of a better description, institutional knowledge. Sure, it makes sense for a Colonel (Carter), or Lt Col (Shep) to be in charge of that number of people, but given the responsibility involved (protecting Earth), maybe someone a little higher up the pecking order should at least be involved. After all, in theory, Dr Weir or Woolsey have 'discretionary authority' over other vessels, such as the Deadalus or Apollo, which are stacked with military personel. Also, in terms of secrecy, they have five Deadalus class ships (the one that was destroyed?? in EatG, Deadalus, Apollo, Odyssey, Hammond), all with military personal - I imagine it'd be harder to keep that a secret than the existence of Atlantis.
      It doesn't really matter anyway, they went with a Colonel and a Major initially, mostly to keep the age and experience down I suspect
      Well, even the institutional knowledge argument is problematic. Again, if the SGC snaps up too many experienced people, those who aren't cleared to know about the program may start asking inconvenient questions about what's going on and getting themselves and the program into trouble. They can't afford to do it the way you suggest. It's all about containment and keeping those who aren't supposed to know about it from finding out. The less who know, the safer everyone is.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
        Hey guys - did you already put Kavanaugh into Slytherin? +Cause I can definitely see him there Also, who gets to be Voldemort?
        Oh yes, Kavanaugh has definitely been put into Slytherin already.

Michael for Voldemort? Too bad Anubis from SG-1 isn't around anymore, he'd be perfect!
        sigpic
        Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
          Oh yes, Kavanaugh has definitely been put into Slytherin already.

Michael for Voldemort? Too bad Anubis from SG-1 isn't around anymore, he'd be perfect!
          They were both over the top cliched bad guys. Yet Anubis had those kull warriors so those could be considered death eaters.

Comment

Hmm, Anubis did have that annoying habit of coming back from the dead to wreak havoc with our heroes, so... yeah, Anubis could work.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

You know I never managed to read past the beginning of the fourth Harry Potter novel but I suspect there is going to come a point when direct comparisons of SGA to Harry Potter might start to break down.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                You know I never managed to read past the beginning of the fourth Harry Potter novel but I suspect there is going to come a point when direct comparisons of SGA to Harry Potter might start to break down.
                Join the dark side. You know you want to! LOL!

Comment

Do you mean this hair?

Spoiler:

[ATTACH]28365[/ATTACH]

:simon: Elizabeth, I've met someone else

[ATTACH]28364[/ATTACH]

:elizabeth: Ah, I see. Oh well, no hard feelings? What's his name?

:simon: Him? I've met another woman!

:elizabeth: Hahahahaha, that's a good one!! Not with that hair you didn't. Which one are you, the pitcher or the catcher?

:simon: cries, runs away

:elizabeth: Catcher, definitely
                  OMG.

Haircut, anyone???

BTW, which eppy are those pics from? Seem familiar but can't place them.

And I know it's short, but it's better than nothing:

Of Detectives and Doctors Chapter 8, albeit a short one, is up.

Enjoy!

The plot line will resume next chapter!

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                    OMG.

Haircut, anyone???

BTW, which eppy are those pics from? Seem familiar but can't place them.
                    Season 2's "The Intruder." It's from the flashback scenes.

And I know it's short, but it's better than nothing:

Of Detectives and Doctors Chapter 8, albeit a short one, is up.

Enjoy!

The plot line will resume next chapter!
                    Awwww, Sedge! *squees* I always like seeing Sedge!

Ooooh, Jack is in sooooo much trouble! And so will John, if he doesn't get Jack there in time! Ahahahaha!

Comment

And in case anyone is wondering, no, I am not watching the USC/Oregon State game. I can't stand to watch. *cringes*

Comment

Season 2's "The Intruder." It's from the flashback scenes.

Awwww, Sedge! *squees* I always like seeing Sedge!

Ooooh, Jack is in sooooo much trouble! And so will John, if he doesn't get Jack there in time! Ahahahaha!
                        Thanks! I went back and read the transcripts so I found that. And I gotta say, I like the alternate scene ALOT better. Elizabeth FTW!!!

Comment

Thanks! I went back and read the transcripts so I found that. And I gotta say, I like the alternate scene ALOT better. Elizabeth FTW!!!
                          Ohhh yeah! gateraid always comes up with some great snarkage!

Comment

I'd never thought about it until you said that, but are the majority of the expedition Marines? Ford, Lorne, Sumner, Everett, a good chunk of the s1 off-world teams, were all Marines. Shep was chosen for his gene, not his piloting ability or military branch.
                            Wasn't Lorne wearing an Air Force dress uniform at the end of Sunday?
                            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                              Wasn't Lorne wearing an Air Force dress uniform at the end of Sunday?
                              *goes back to reread gateraid's post and headdesks* How the heck did my eyes skip over that? Good catch, mandogater, and you're absolutely right, Lorne is in the Air Force.

Comment

It's possible; we're not planning to have Nancy appear in anything beyond the first episode, but who knows, we may find when we get to later in the season that there might come an instance where she could show up on Atlantis.

Oooops. I somehow got the idea we're going to have her around in later eps, especially when Eri mentioned Mayel?
                                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Working...
                                X