Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    Okay, here I have part one. It's angsty, it's all John, it's very mental. it's also very Eri, who keeps inspiring me day in and day out. (I'm loving S6 discussion. It's so wonderful)

Ficlet, part one:

Spoiler:
    In some most basic sense John always knew he would end up alone.

It wasn't frightening. It was a relief after knowing he could have screwed up somebody's life, even if that person claimed she understood, and loved him and didn't want to let go. It was Nancy who packed the bags and left but it was him who ended his marriage. He told her to go.

Loneliness brought relief.

He didn't complain about miles and miles of frozen wasteland, and flying over it. While it didn't give him purpose, he was away from doing significant harm. It was a safe status quo he could have kept, but life was never that simple.

The first thing she gave him back was the purpose – one that was wrapped with life and death responsibility, one that came with weight of the world, where every life they brought with them and every decision they made counted. The galaxy was crashing above their heads and they chances hung on a thin thread of daring hopes and brave escapes and that purpose he didn't fail. He saved lives and offered his own, because that was the right thing to do, that was the one thing he could do. In that purpose he was happy.

He knew about the purpose all along. Things he didn't notice, not right away, things that sneaked up on him and caught him off guard were the possible danger. He was content. He was happy. He built himself a home and found a family.

He had her too – not just a superior, and not solely a friend, but something more, someone indefinitely more important, more significant than that. Someone who got him.

Someone.

Her.

John was never afraid of death. If anything, it was the end of all thriving, the end of possibilities to make things worse; it meant he couldn't do any good but also he couldn't harm anyone any more. Giving his life to save another wasn't a tragedy. John savored life and living, but he firmly believed that his life came with a purpose and a price.

Death brought peace, but in this life he wasn't destined to have it.

John felt that uncomfortable shift within him when he saw her sitting near the large french door, overlooking the balcony and the ocean outside. It was always her favorite spot, solitary and sunny, a small piece of freedom for briefest of times within a day. Lately the days have been long; possibly longer to her than to him. She was always a person of purpose, much like him, and ever since she was back – ever since they got her back – she didn't have one.

John was always comfortable around her, and rationally he knew it was her, real her, flesh and blood and controllable, completely biological nanites. Rationally, he knew the sky wouldn't come crashing down on them. Nobody would take her away any more.

Hesitantly he came closer and she looked up at him and his lunch tray with a faint smile. John sat down, wondering if time could simply reset itself to some previous point; just sitting down and sharing the lunch and the sunshine as the last two years faded somewhere in the background of his mind. He probably should settle and accept the better outcome, and sleep peacefully, because she was safe and whole and be a happy man for it and for bringing her here. But at the same time he felt cheated and tricked, with that overwhelming, grave sense of loss still clutching at his chest, and she, Elizabeth, she couldn't tell him what to do with it now.

They said, be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

Eventually, the words died out. They fell flat and fall into the cracks between them and made them all the more obvious, and hurt more. She was gone and he had to say goodbye to her so many times, too many times a man should bear in a single lifetime. But in the silence he could settle, even for a little bit, and it felt easier than words and simpler than accepting. He looked at her, as long as he could bear it, and then looked away, to gaze out and onto the ocean. The sunlight was warm, the glow of it leaving him pacified, if only for a moment when he was truly and deceptively safe and in the quiet of the sunset they were gazing in the same direction.
    *flails* *cries* *flails again* Why is it that bittersweet angst just makes me feel so good?

My idea is that this ancient device Teyla is trapped in is somehow the cause of Kate's rescue.
    Spoiler:
    Perhaps it's a twisted genie in the bottle scenario - where Teyla literally walks into that bottle and the genie is a weird, eccentric, not entirelly benevolent (ascended) ancient woman who tells her this device grants her one wish, one thing in her life changed. She can take her pick, and if she wants to be certain, she can even try out several scenarios - a limited number of them. Three? Five?

She tries to change the events that have made her life more difficult, or that brought her loss (losing Elizabeth and Charing), or things she wonders about (John), but all of those somehow turn out worse for the people she is trying to save (for example, Charin becoming ever more dependant on medicine, and feeling unhappy, because she believes her life should come to a natural end and that reaching that point is a blessing.)

Teyla begins to realize she shoudln't try to "fix" her life against her own wise choices (John) or other people's choices (Elizabeth's sacrifice, Charin's choice to die) will not bring her happiness. But she has to make a choice and change something, and then she chooses to save Kate (and while doing so, Teyla doesn't know if that will turn out right, but hopes it will, because Kate didn't die by her own choice, and frankly, IMO, it was a stupid, stupid move by PTB. Elizabeth's scarifice did have meaning and purpose and the way Adrift/Lifeline are written, it is Elizabeth's choice, so, not something Teyla should be changing. However, PTB should have brought her back in a grand, glorious, let's - save - our - leader scenario.

That's my idea. *hides*
    And just like that you've given me an excuse to make another stickie: the "ways to bring back Kate" stickie.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    I think it's a good idea!

Spoiler:
    What I might suggest, in keeping in line with the way Ancient-y type things were done, is that this is 'genie' is not a real person/Ascended, but a program designed by the Ancients to look like a genie, doing just what you suggest. Since the Ancients could pretty much do anything with their tech, I don't think it's implausible to find there's a sort of quantum mirror thingy that works to shift portions of timelines.

Maybe the Genie is Janus (we could bring his actor back too!) since he loved to screw with timelines.
    I vote for the Janus idea also. I've wanted to bring him back since BIS.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      *flails* *cries* *flails again* Why is it that bittersweet angst just makes me feel so good?
      'Cause we all want to pet John and tuck him in bed and feed him milk and cookies?

And just like that you've given me an excuse to make another stickie: the "ways to bring back Kate" stickie.
      Heh.

I vote for the Janus idea also. I've wanted to bring him back since BIS.
      Especially as he's another one of those guys crushing on Elizabeth that'll get John jealous. Of course, that was Alt!Weir and BoD is set before Elizabeth returns, but hey...
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Ladies, I luff you! That is all.

I think Janus as AI is perfect. And "be careful what you wish for" is very fitting for this episode, methinks. Also, this device could be something like big teaching machine - it's supposed to teach you not to mess with your own life and timelines - and coming from janus, it's an ultimate irony. Good news is that I can pretty much start working on the ep (story) itself and write at least parts of it *claps hands*

Did anyone mention My Immortal? I has a sparky video
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Yes, I'm still up. Hey, ladies figure skating is on at the Olympics!

I think Janus as AI is perfect. And "be careful what you wish for" is very fitting for this episode, methinks. Also, this device could be something like big teaching machine - it's supposed to teach you not to mess with your own life and timelines - and coming from janus, it's an ultimate irony. Good news is that I can pretty much start working on the ep (story) itself and write at least parts of it *claps hands*

Ultimate irony, indeed! And also ironic, considering that the only reason both Teyla and Sheppard are still around to take part in the events of Box of Dreams is because McKay screwed with the timeline in The Last Man... I'd love to see a reference back to that episode, if possible.

*flaily flails at the video*
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Yes, I'm still up. Hey, ladies figure skating is on at the Olympics!

Ultimate irony, indeed! And also ironic, considering that the only reason both Teyla and Sheppard are still around to take part in the events of Box of Dreams is because McKay screwed with the timeline in The Last Man... I'd love to see a reference back to that episode, if possible.

*flaily flails at the video*
            Well, isn't it time they learn they're not supposed to screw with the timeliens?

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              'Cause we all want to pet John and tuck him in bed and feed him milk and cookies?

Heh.

Especially as he's another one of those guys crushing on Elizabeth that'll get John jealous. Of course, that was Alt!Weir and BoD is set before Elizabeth returns, but hey...
              Yeah, sure that's what we all want to do to with John.

One of my fave Sparky vids.
              sigpic

Comment

Yay! This sounds cool!

But remember--take your time. We still have 7 episodes to 'publish' before we get to yours, and some of your Teyla story will need to draw from Erin's story "First Year" (since that'll be Teyla/Kanaan centric) so leave some space for developments she does (or speak with her as to how she'll be developing Teyla's character).

And--this is for all writers--if you have not seen all of S4 and S5, I highly recommend working with a fact-checker for continuity's sake--and watching the eppies if you can get your hands on them! But a fact checker will help.

We will have people who are familiar with the entire show beta all of these as well, of course, but to help make sure changes are minimal it's good to have a strong building structure in place.
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Yay! This sounds cool!

But remember--take your time. We still have 7 episodes to 'publish' before we get to yours, and some of your Teyla story will need to draw from Erin's story "First Year" (since that'll be Teyla/Kanaan centric) so leave some space for developments she does (or speak with her as to how she'll be developing Teyla's character).

And--this is for all writers--if you have not seen all of S4 and S5, I highly recommend working with a fact-checker for continuity's sake--and watching the eppies if you can get your hands on them! But a fact checker will help.

We will have people who are familiar with the entire show beta all of these as well, of course, but to help make sure changes are minimal it's good to have a strong building structure in place.
                  No worries, Eri I want to start early because I want to have enough time to do a good job. Fact checker shall be my friend, because I'm missing several episodes.

Comment

Morning my sparky friends. I get all my days off for the first time in 3 months. Maybe I can play some more now.

OT
                    Spoiler:
                    One of the guys I work with has throat cancer. He says surgery can remove it without damaging his voice box. I can say without reservation, he's the kind of guy you can't say anything bad about. And then on my way to work yesterday, I saw a terrible accident. Two people were killed.
                    "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                      Morning my sparky friends. I get all my days off for the first time in 3 months. Maybe I can play some more now.

OT
                      Spoiler:
                      One of the guys I work with has throat cancer. He says surgery can remove it without damaging his voice box. I can say without reservation, he's the kind of guy you can't say anything bad about. And then on my way to work yesterday, I saw a terrible accident. Two people were killed.
                      *hugs* for you. I hope your friend will be well.

Comment

I love that band, I love that song and I LOVE THAT VIDEO!
                        sigpic
                        Signature by Erin87

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Well, isn't it time they learn they're not supposed to screw with the timeliens?
                          Definitely.

Yeah, sure that's what we all want to do to with John.
                          *snickers*

Yay! This sounds cool!

On that note, for those here in the US who may be looking for S4-5 episodes to watch/research without having to shell out money for DVDs or iTunes, etc., S5 is still being run in syndication on broadcast TV (check your local listings to find the station and timeslot in your area). The SyFy reruns (both weekday and late night Friday/early morning Saturday) have all cycled back to S1, so it'll be a while before they get back to S4.

OT
                          Spoiler:
                          *BIG HUGGLES* I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, and I hope he'll be all right.

Comment

OT
                            Spoiler:
                            Hey, we have missed you. Sorry about your buddy. It's really scary when something like that happens. Stick with us, nothing bad ever happens in Sparkyland.
                            sigpic

Comment

I need something to cheer me up too and I wouldn't mind a bit of sillyness or creativity - not that we lack either, but I'd like something SILLY right now. So. Could we play a short game and count all possible AU scenarios for Elizabeth and John? You know, total AUs, with complete recasting of characters into new roles. This can include total AUs you've already read somewhere (or had written).

I offer:

1. John as a rockstar (and Elizabeth as his agent, eventually)
                              2. John and Elizabeth as owners of competing restaurants (that one I'm going to write).
                              3. Detective AUs (there are probably dozen of sparky - detective setups).

What you've got, guys?

Comment

I need something to cheer me up too and I wouldn't mind a bit of sillyness or creativity - not that we lack either, but I'd like something SILLY right now. So. Could we play a short game and count all possible AU scenarios for Elizabeth and John? You know, total AUs, with complete recasting of characters into new roles. This can include total AUs you've already read somewhere (or had written).

I offer:

1. John as a rockstar (and Elizabeth as his agent, eventually)
                                2. John and Elizabeth as owners of competing restaurants (that one I'm going to write).
                                3. Detective AUs (there are probably dozen of sparky - detective setups).

What you've got, guys?
                                saw this on twitter this morning:http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=16336108
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X