Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch
    I thought that "Allies" was an interestin episode with a powerful cliffhanger. That being said, I didn't find it to be as intriguing as "Siege 2". Not much in the way of Shep/Weir aside from their obvious trust and dependence upon one another as leaders of Atlantis. I also found the:

Spoiler:
    Beckett and Weir scene to be quite interesting. She obviously has been disturbed by these events, as is Carson. Carson also seems to be concerned about her state of well being. I'm not sure if it will develop into any kind of addiciton sub-plot, but I find their moral questioning intriguing. I imagine, if all had gone as planned, John would have been to Liz's office to comfort her as usual. I think the power of these two to heal one another should and will be an important factor in the show

As for the
    Spoiler:
    "S" Encyclopedia comment. I completely missed that at first. I thought Sheppard meant he would either look up his surname, or a curse word. Maybe it was Joe's delivery, or I'm just slow lol. Not to be nitpicky, I didn't like the line either.
    I felt it was out of place and neither of the actors seemed to play with the joke very much.

Just my two cents--can't wait for July!

Royal
    Spoiler:
    I heard the 'S' encyclopedia thing but I must have missed the intent. This entire episode had me feeling rather...'uneasy'. I don't know what it was about it other than the content. I guess that's what the writers intended and they got the reaction from me they wanted if so. I felt uneasy about where Elizabeth is heading. I felt uneasy about dealing with the wraith. I felt uneasy about the trust issue that seems to be building up. I felt uneasy about the fallout from this. It's going to be big and widespread.

There were times tonight I found myself-a big Elizabeth fan not quite sure what to make of her. I almost found myself disliking her 'attitude' at times because she seems just a bit 'off' from what I expect from her. And while I know it's intentional, it still made me uneasy with her. But my gosh, this thing ended with John-who the heck knows where now. Heading to earth asap? hiding in lair for the wraith? who knows? And we get Elizabeth just totally screwed. Bet she won't sleep at all after this one. Thanks darlin', here's your prize: You get to know that you've just single-handedly given your homeworld and all the humans therein to an unknown enemy worse than anything they have ever known. Yes, congrats, you've probably killed every human on earth!

This one was dark and more dark and very, very uneasy for me the viewer and the shipper.

As for shippiness...
    Spoiler:
    well other than a few 'in-joke' slash anvils : rolleyes: there wasn't a whole lot.
    Rodney's little pat on John as he walked away...peh er..ok. Zelenka's little asking of rodney's well being and his little after sigh...er...peh...jeez. Ronon's little teasing of rodney...er..not.
    I know it's just the little male writers having their fun but sometimes...

The grandkids comment was a bit cute from John but Elizabeth's instant! truly surprised reaction was a little odd I must say. And she was truly a bit shocked to hear it come from his mouth imo. I'd like to know why she was so surprised at the comment.

I didn't feel much 'connection' between really anyone-including our boy and girl- in this one and that might also be intentional as they build up this entire tone of darkening emotions and trust issues heading into next season.

Couple of things I really did like in this ep that are somewhat off topic...

Spoiler:
    I liked how Elizabeth asked for Ronon's opinion and she asked seriously and he was seriously surprised. Small things like that are important. I also liked how she looked to Teyla for help in this one.
    John telling Teyla he hoped she could live with the decision they'd made after her ordeal in Michael was a nice touch too.
    Ronon and Rodney's scenes were pretty good. Didn't enjoy the John-Rodney scenes quite so much this go-round for some reason.

What I'm left wondering is if John is going to 'bail' Elizabeth out of this mess though? Because, boy is this one more doozy.
    Last edited by Bama; 10 March 2006, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama
      People are still reeling from the babe of the week club of late. Time and backstory will do wonders for John-man's fans.
      Well, they need to get over it. Simple as that. It seems that the line between "expecting" and "wanting" things to happen on the show, has become a bit hazy with some fans.

Comment

Hmmmm...any idea on how many 'female' viewers there are in the SGA audience? I notice that many /majority of posters here are female but I don't know on the overall breakdown. I'd find that Nielsen info interesting.
        The audience is about half-and-half. The real skew is when you get to education levels – the audience is considerably better educated overall than the average show. More affluent, too, but that's to be expected with a cable show.

As for the encyclopedia comment, I was amused by it. At first glance I thought he was referring to his name (yes, I usually skip to the J section when casually browsing ), but I thought Zelenka's response was funny too. And I didn't think John's reaction confirmed or denied it. And, well, let's face it – the average kid given vast amounts of uncensored information probably would skip to the parts his parents might not want him reading.

However, the last time I checked, Atlantis doesn't revolve around John Sheppard's sex life. We might do well to remember that from time to time. Not every possible reference to him and human sexuality has to be a blot on his character.
        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
        Last update: 14 April 2006
        Melyanna's Multimedia
        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
          The audience is about half-and-half. The real skew is when you get to education levels – the audience is considerably better educated overall than the average show. More affluent, too, but that's to be expected with a cable show.

As for the encyclopedia comment, I was amused by it. At first glance I thought he was referring to his name (yes, I usually skip to the J section when casually browsing ), but I thought Zelenka's response was funny too. And I didn't think John's reaction confirmed or denied it. And, well, let's face it – the average kid given vast amounts of uncensored information probably would skip to the parts his parents might not want him reading.

However, the last time I checked, Atlantis doesn't revolve around John Sheppard's sex life. We might do well to remember that from time to time. Not every possible reference to him and human sexuality has to be a blot on his character.
          Interesting Mel...especially about the education levels. Gender watchers are half and half eh? I wouldn't have thought it would have been quite that even but given the more recent trend of female sci-fi watchers in general since the late 80s, I shouldn't be surprised at all. Thanks for the info.

As for the
          Spoiler:
          little 'S' comment,
          I blew that one off as well. It was a little oddly placed but it seemed to be men just being 'men' and making their usual corny little innuendo comments. No biggie. As for Atlantis revolving around John's sex life? LOL! I'm not so sure of late tho -maybe it would be good for tptb to remember that as much as us. Our control is limited in comparsion.

Comment

I thought the encyclopedia comment was funny... You have to remember that that was when he was a little kid. What little boy *doesn't* want to know stuff about sex? I don't think it was meant to be related to his recent 'kirking' behaviour in any way.

I think we're all a bit upset because recently he's been "testing the waters" for space babes and that comment was a little scandelous. If he hadn't been talking to all the women before would we still be reacting the same way?
            Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
            Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

It does seem like a lot of women, but I think its because women tend to be the shippers and shippers treat the boards like 'Instant Messaging.' Meaning they post all time. This may sound sexist but Stargate is a "man's show" women just happen to watch it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy542
                I thought the encyclopedia comment was funny... You have to remember that that was when he was a little kid. What little boy *doesn't* want to know stuff about sex? I don't think it was meant to be related to his recent 'kirking' behaviour in any way.

I think we're all a bit upset because recently he's been "testing the waters" for space babes and that comment was a little scandelous. If he hadn't been talking to all the women before would we still be reacting the same way?
                Agree. And you're right I think. It's just the touchiness from the other times making folks a bit more grouchy. Whoof. That and it's like midnight. zzzzz...
                And hey, there weren't any random space babes this ep! And to borrow from John in Coup, I count that as a 'win'-no spin involved.
                Well...unless you count the Wraith Queen and she'd be more interested in his blood type than his looks anyhoo.
                I can't nab bait much longer...I'm bout fished out for today...zzzzz...

Meaning they post all time. This may sound sexist but Stargate is a "man's show" women just happen to watch it as well.
                *swims away...*

*dangit! Why is there no 'sleep' icon?*

Comment

Agree. And you're right I think. It's just the touchiness from the other times making folks a bit more grouchy. Whoof. That and it's like midnight. zzzzz...
                  And hey, there weren't any random space babes this ep! And to borrow from John in Coup, I count that as a 'win'-no spin involved.
                  Well...unless you count the Wraith Queen and she'd be more interested in his blood type than his looks anyhoo.
                  I can't nab bait much longer...I'm bout fished out for today...zzzzz...
                  Lmao! The wraith Queen/John... Dunno about that one.

Sleep deprivation probably does have a rather large role in crankiness. Speaking of sleep, I should get some too. Night!
                  Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
                  Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

That's very interesting info. I asked JM once in his blog about the breakdown. He said the audience was relatively even on both shows (with a possible larger number of women watching SG-1). I'll try to dig up his response. That was a couple of months back though. Do you have any links to that Nielson info?

Thanks,
                    Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

That's very interesting info. I asked JM once in his blog about the breakdown. He said the audience was relatively even on both shows (with a possible larger number of women watching SG-1). I'll try to dig up his response. That was a couple of months back though. Do you have any links to that Nielson info?

Thanks,
                      Royal
                      It is rather interesting if more women do watch because I know that a lot of shows go after the 18-40 male audience.

Comment

Thanks,
                        Royal
                        No, I don't. As far as I know, the detailed Nielson breakdowns aren't widely available. I could be wrong about that, but I've never been able to locate this kind of information when searching on my own. I got this from my usual source for NBC-related details. (Most of which I can't repeat online. )
                        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                        Last update: 14 April 2006
                        Melyanna's Multimedia
                        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Yay...ALlies was Sparky Full! MAde my night!!
                          Spoiler:
                          When John talked about Grandkids...Liz gave him a look..lol..LOVED IT

icon pic thanks Cathain Nottingham

Comment

In this case I was a little off with my 'majority comment'. I apologize...
                            SIG BY THE EVIL PUPPY

Comment

Oh fine lol . I guess I better cover my head cause I can see many shoes flying towards me. I found it funny at first, but I've rewatched Allies many times and after all the excitement calmed down, I was getting annoyed by that comment.. but Buggy is right. He was still just a kid. So yeah I take what I said back

Comment

Can someone tell me what the
                                Spoiler:
                                "grandkids"
                                comment was? I must have missed it. And how far in was
                                Spoiler:
                                the hug
                                ? I missed it too! Any pictures?

"The comment" annoyed me too, better than a new "babe" though.
                                Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

Working...
                                X