This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cpt. Ritter
    Yeah, Vala is a tough one to characterize. In the definition set, then yes she probably does but it's not an insult to her character it's how her character was set up. That's who she is. I'm hoping they'd go into some back story and don't just have her flirting shamelessly with everyone. I see potential everywhere.
    We can always rationalize her behavior as how she was brought up, what kind of society she grew up in, and maybe Vala realized that flirting and sex got her a LOT further than brains (face it, we still have beauty contests for women so what does that say about our society?)

Meanwhile, the only truly cringeworthy one I can think of in SG1 was Tok'ra barbie (um, um, Anise/Freya?) who might have been a decent character IF she had gotten a good actress, but still, the sexual part of the character was basically smack in your face due to her cultural differences (and those skintight outfits).

I'd much rather watch Vala than Anise, because Claudia Black is a MUCH better actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrat
      As far as we know, Vala has only been with Daniel and that's the only one she wants to be with. That is not kirking.

What TPTB did to Shep in the Tower is kirking. Insinuating a one night stand without it adding to the plot. What happened in that episode was just unnessesary. I don't know how to express what that episode did to me... I've always liked Stargate and Sheppard in particular. But that episode made me question why I watch it!

The other episodes didn't make me question myself...
      Makes me scared to see The Tower, I'll just push past it.
      Join the Ori War Today.Join Now

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt. Ritter
        Makes me scared to see The Tower, I'll just push past it.
        Good idea, I wish I had done it. Would have spared myself the needless hypertension. Must repeat to myself: it's just a TV show.

Comment

can We Please Use Spoiler Tags On All Season Two Spoilers Please
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
            Good idea, I wish I had done it. Would have spared myself the needless hypertension. Must repeat to myself: it's just a TV show.
            plus, the tower
            Spoiler:
            was not the greatest episode i'veever seen...

anyway, just discovered this, and I'm in! The Kirking really annoys me, intensely. t's totally out of character for everyone, and demeaning, not only for them, but the men/women they have one episode with, then drop like a hot potato. Plus it's lazy writing. It's just a way to establish an emotional connection with the alien of the week...but writing a good character should do that better. Kirking just makes us dislike characters! and are men and women really unable to interact/form a bond without snogging? I don't think so.
            Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
              anyway, just discovered this, and I'm in! The Kirking really annoys me, intensely. t's totally out of character for everyone, and demeaning, not only for them, but the men/women they have one episode with, then drop like a hot potato. Plus it's lazy writing. It's just a way to establish an emotional connection with the alien of the week...but writing a good character should do that better. Kirking just makes us dislike characters! and are men and women really unable to interact/form a bond without snogging? I don't think so.
              Succinct and sharp, sums it up for me. Good post and welcome to STACKS.

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
                plus, the tower
                Spoiler:
                was not the greatest episode i'veever seen...

Great post. It's so lazy, you're right.

In the case of Shep (I know, I know, he's not the only one!) it disturbs me because he's a leader. He should be leading by example, and not flirting with any hot alien chick that comes along. It demeans his character, and if tptb back on earth really knew about it it would threaten his position.

They should be working on building relationships between the Atlantis team members. Before someone goes off at me for talking ship, I'm not. I mean that they need to show deeper connections between these characters who've essentially had no-one but each other for a whole year while cut off from earth. They need to work on friendships, not kirking.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                  Great post. It's so lazy, you're right.

In the case of Shep (I know, I know, he's not the only one!) it disturbs me because he's a leader. He should be leading by example, and not flirting with any hot alien chick that comes along. It demeans his character, and if tptb back on earth really knew about it it would threaten his position.
                  Agreed. Kirking is the most impressive form of lazy writing ever created by mankind or should I dare say malekind? He sooo would have been called upon it in real live or, at least, I'd like to believe so.

Originally posted by alyssa
                  They should be working on building relationships between the Atlantis team members. Before someone goes off at me for talking ship, I'm not. I mean that they need to show deeper connections between these characters who've essentially had no-one but each other for a whole year while cut off from earth. They need to work on friendships, not kirking.
                  That was absolutely great. If I only get to see awesome friendship development on my screen I'll be eternally happy with TPTB. If they continue showing me kirking, they will only gain my despise.
                  Awesome sig made by *E*K*R*. Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Well, I've only seen up to the Hive right now here in the states...
                    so, I can only judge up till then....

This thread began due to the episodes coming from the Hive and up to the most recents...but I have to say, I am very proud of Shep in the Hive..
                    Spoiler:
                    .he was not lead by that girl in the cell with him at all and even before he saw what she was up to, he didn't stay away from his ultimate goal..to free his people out of there..
                    if we can remember this Sheppard than perhaps there is hope that the writers will veer him back to that old Sheppie that we love!
                    sigpic

Comment

hey guys!
                      if *ep-that-must-not-be-named* is Skunktuary, Stancktuary, Skanktuary, etc,
                      what should Epiphany be?

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                        hey guys!
                        what should Epiphany be?
                        not a clue... i am not good at making up those names!!!
                        ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                          hey guys!
                          what should Epiphany be?
                          Epiphany was fine. What he did there wasn't kirking. It was something that might happen after such a long time. It didn't seem such a long time for us but it was for him.
                          S.T.A.K.S. if you think kirking stinks...

Jackson: Earth minutes?
                          Mitchell: Yeah, I've always wanted to say that.
                          Vala: Well, now you have.

Image hosted by RandomImage.net

Member of Ben Hiney Club, Happy Trails Club and The Amazing Arm Appreciation Association Dex's Devil

Comment

Over at Livejournal there are some funny kirking icons.
                            But be careful, spoilers for Epiphany and TLG!

Icons
                            sigpic

Comment

Pro-Kirking forever!!! Anti-S.T.A.K.S!!!
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                                Pro-Kirking forever!!! Anti-S.T.A.K.S!!!
                                Q! Just get the hell outta here!
                                The hot alien chicks do not include Liz! C ya at LizWOW.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X