Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a fine-tuned transporter they can make anything out of anything. They can transport individual electrons,protons,neutrons and make whatever atoms they like to. Wonder if the Asgard can do that.

Comment

Right, I was just saying, supposedly Neutronium is "super" dense (and possibly superconductive, but that doesn't matter right now). You would only need a little bit to make a lot of items that contain elements much lower on the Periodic table. For example, if Neutronium had four times the # of electrons/protons as gold, you could get four times the amount of gold than neutronium. If you carried huge loads of the stuff, you could make a lot different things that could potentially take up more space than the neutronium alone.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
        Right, I was just saying, supposedly Neutronium is "super" dense (and possibly superconductive, but that doesn't matter right now). You would only need a little bit to make a lot of items that contain elements much lower on the Periodic table. For example, if Neutronium had four times the # of electrons/protons as gold, you could get four times the amount of gold than neutronium. If you carried huge loads of the stuff, you could make a lot different things that could potentially take up more space than the neutronium alone.
        Normally "neutronium" is used to refer to the superfluid material of which neutron stars are made. In neutron stars electrons and protons get crused together to form a super dense sea of neutrons...hence the name neutronium.

Comment

Originally posted by Funaho
          Normally "neutronium" is used to refer to the superfluid material of which neutron stars are made. In neutron stars electrons and protons get crused together to form a super dense sea of neutrons...hence the name neutronium.
          A neutron is escentially a proton + an electron, right?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
            In terms of charge, yes
            But there is a neutron atom.
            *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
            McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

A Neutron is a neutral particle, it has no charge.

Comment

I liked the show, but wanted to say this anyway...

"It's kind of like Charlie loves Chachi."

lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Funaho
                  Interesting, I was always taught the "ium" suffix was used for naming metals. Guess I was wrong.

But in any case, I've seen the name "neutronium" used to describe a really dense metal extremely high in the periodic table in other Sci-Fi story lines. I didn't mean real life, because I'm no expert in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                    A Neutron is a neutral particle, it has no charge.
                    I was replying to Mio
                    asked if a Proton+electron is a neutron
                    and i said in terms of charge becasue proton is pos and electron is neg.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      In terms of charge yes (and i think in mass, at least approximately.) But a neutron and a proton have different quark configurations, and an electron is just an electron.

I've actually never read anything about whether or not neutron star matter can be made to "rebound" into normal matter. I think the change is permanent.

Comment

And I posted the same minute, so you couldn't figure out that we wrote it at the same time?

Comment

How'd we get from 'Stargate Atlantis Sucks!' to elements native to the Ida galaxy?
                          sigpic

Comment

Dunno, but it always seems to happen

Comment

Yeah, back on topic everyone.

Or not. Whatever.

I've got a nice glass of wine and some crystalised ginger, I don't really care about off-topicness tonight.

Madeleine

Comment

Does this mean we're gonna start talking about what we're drinking now.

Im drinking a bottle of mango gatorade.

Comment

Working...
                                X