Merlin (BBC version) Spoilers abound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
    lets be honest there's nothing better on this time of year! (unless your one of those unfortunates who like that Dancing pilge or the Z factor or whatever it is).
    Guilty As Charged
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I hope it returns for a 2nd season.. I've been enjoying it so far, much more than Robin Hood at least.

Comment

after seeing 1 episode, i didnt think it was that good, hhmm maybe ill have to watch more of it
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

Episode 1 was mediocre. It gets better.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Wahey!

It's not very imaginative, ridiculous and very very silly - but it sure it fun to watch!
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Oh god, if have to watch anymore I'll go mad
              every sunday i am forced to watch it while eating dinner
              I quite liked it to start with but the more i watch the more i find myself wanting to turn over
              "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

It's awful, just awful. It's up there with Flash Gordon for worst cheesy drivel on TV.

Comment

I respectfully disagree.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Merlin actress Katie McGrath has promised a massive cliffhanger to end the show's first season.

The young actress, who plays Morgana, told Digital Spy that she hopes the ending will be resolved by the BBC commissioning further adventures.

"We've left all of our characters on such a cliffhanger that you'd feel it wasn't finished unless you got a chance to see them through," she said. "Especially my character, because all her best stuff is yet to come. It's a show that's only going to get better!"

On the subject of a second season, McGrath revealed that the cast are optimistic but unsure, saying: "Obviously we hope it's going to go ahead. We don't know yet though, to be honest with you. For me I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't go ahead."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a13...iffhanger.html

Comment

Well I'll post it here..... I suppose

a second series has been commissioned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7780736.stm

Fantastic finale tonight as well...
                      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

BBC confirms 'Merlin' series two
                        Monday, December 15 2008, 14:36 GMT

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

The BBC has confirmed that Merlin will return for a second series.

Anthony Head, who plays King Uther Pendragon in the show, last week revealed to Digital Spy that Merlin will be back for a second run.

The fantasy series, which focuses on the young wizard's friendship with King Arthur, has been a Saturday-night ratings success since debuting on BBC One in September.

Head of drama for BBC Wales Julie Gardner said: "We are thrilled that audiences have entered into the magical world of Camelot and Merlin has been such a big hit on Saturday nights. It has performed outstandingly well.

"The cast have entertained and enchanted a whole new generation with this fresh and modern retelling of a classic British legend."

Along with Head, cast members Colin Morgan, Bradley James and Richard Wilson will reprise their roles in the second series, which begins shooting on location in Wales and France next year.

"We are absolutely delighted to be returning for a second series," producers Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy said in a statement. "All the principal characters are destined to experience more magical adventures next year.

"The story of Merlin is a much loved tale and it's so exciting that our updated version has captured the hearts of audiences and brought the magic and myth of Camelot alive."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a13...eries-two.html

Comment

It wasn't always an easy ride, but Merlin grew in strength and confidence throughout the course of the first season. Ratings were admirably consistent, despite being moved in the schedules on a weekly basis, prompting the BBC to commission more outings for the young sorcerer and his friends. But what worked and what didn't in the show's debut year?

The first half of the season undoubtedly contained too many facsimile plots. Each week, some strangers would arrive in Camelot asking for help, only for Uther Pendragon to welcome them into his court with open arms. Secretly though, they would be plotting to kill the King via some malevolent use of magic - most probably because he did something nasty to their family many years before. Enter Merlin, who would have his usual ethical crisis during a chat with Gaius, only to save the day with a spell that no-one notices.

Fortunately, the writers dared to tinker with the increasingly stale formula on several occasions, and the show worked best when the central figures were proactive rather than reactive. Hence the effective nature of the adventurous 'quest' episodes. Most notable of all was 'The Labyrinth Of Gedref' - a moving story built around a series of character tests on Arthur after he needlessly slays a unicorn. Similarly, the finale was packed full of inspired purpose and eye candy, as Merlin travelled to a far off land to save his beloved prince.

Indeed, the blossoming relationship between the lads was a reason to tune in every week. The sense of unrequited love echoed The Fast Show's Ted and Ralph characters, buoyed along by Merlin's talk of 'coming out' to the world in his true guise. Even Merlin's own mother waded in and told her son that she noticed a glint in Arthur's eye when around him. It's all a bit of a tease, but the possible subtext was fun to speculate about.

By contrast, the pre-credits sequences were far from fun and regularly failed to whip up any excitement before John Hurt's tedious Dragon narration kicked in. This key component of the show was amateurishly handled and is in dire need of correction for the second season. Merlin's makers must study some other genre shows to see how effective these teasers can be to hook in viewers, not bore them.

In terms of characterisation, the boys certainly fared better than the girls. Colin Morgan and Bradley James gelled fantastically well together, constantly learning from each other and indulging in some amusing banter. Who couldn't be impressed when Merlin stood up to his master in the recent finale and called him a "prat", albeit in an endearing kind of way?

Anthony Head deserves massive plaudits for keeping Uther an ambiguous character, as some of his deeds - like making Merlin drink from a cup to test for poison - were nothing short of evil. Head's great achievement was bringing an underlying sense of humanity to the ruler, giving off the impression that the strains of being a monarch have fragmented his ability to decide between right and wrong. Contrastingly, Richard Wilson was wholeheartedly good as Gaius, a dignified soul who was only given major psychological focus at the end of the season when he revealed that Merlin was the son he never had and that his life was largely a failure.

Alas, the girls did not fare so well on the show. Katie McGrath was wonderful as Morgana, yet was inexplicably underused throughout the series despite her presence markedly boosting the episodes she featured prominently in. After being unveiled as a 'seer' halfway through the run, full of prophetic visions, one could have expected this to be explored further. So fingers crossed the excellent actress, at her best when standing up to Uther, is given more material next year.

As for Guinevere... oh dear. Her main purpose seemed to be to spark some kind of romantic intrigue between herself and Merlin or herself and Arthur. On both fronts, it was entirely unconvincing and contrived. Through just a couple of glances exchanged with Merlin, Michelle Ryan's devilishly seductive Nimueh instantly blew her away as a believable love interest. It was a shame that beyond her initial excursion into Camelot, Nimueh wasn't at the forefront of more stories.

Sure, she popped up on a couple of occasions but more as a tacked-on afterthought. There's much scope to develop her (assuming she will return from her apparent death), as witnessed by the electrifying revelations between her and Uther, when her part in Arthur's genesis was explained. This enabled a more sympathetic judgment of Nimueh and her actions, and perhaps it's a shame that Merlin showed no remorse after dispatching her. It's murder, after all.

Still, at least the humans fared better than the other species on show. The Dragon was a particular disappointment, eating into the effects budget for little more than a few increasingly annoying cryptic soundbites spoken to Merlin. An array of other beasts largely disappointed due to the poor CGI being exposed in the harshness of daylight, and they looked even feebler against the impressively lavish environment and set design of Camelot. A rare effective moment for the critters came when Arthur was pursued by a horde of oversized spiders in a cave,giving the show a real Indiana Jones feel for a fleeting moment.

Regardless of the criticisms, everything is set in place for a fantastic second season of perfect family viewing, providing a few tweaks are made. Ditch the Dragon unless he serves more purpose, give Morgana more screen time, resurrect Nimueh, and use the CGI monsters in more atmospheric, darker conditions. Above all, keep us guessing about Arthur and Merlin!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a13...e-verdict.html

Comment

Rachel Stevens has begun talks with the producers of BBC drama Merlin, say reports.

According to The Sun, the Strictly Come Dancing finalist impressed the fantasy show's bosses with her dancing skills.

Stevens, who found fame in pop group S Club 7, failed to launch an acting career in 2005 when she moved to Hollywood.

The BBC confirmed last month that Merlin would return for a second series.

Anthony Head, Colin Morgan, Bradley James and Richard Wilson will reprise their roles when shooting begins on location in Wales and France later this year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14...rlin-role.html

Comment

Cool, she one sexy women,shame she not single.

Whole well if she in it I will probably end up watching it.

Comment

Does anybody know when the 2nd season starts? I've done searches but can't find anything.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X