Merlin (BBC version) Spoilers abound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
    Being British myself, I just don't get who recent British fantasy and sci-fi shows are appealing too. The standard is complete garbage. I've seen better live action kids TV during the 90s than shows like Merlin, Robbin Hood, Primeval, etc.

I understand that it actually finds a market upon export to the US though. Probably largely because of the success the new Dr. Who and Torchwood. Which are both of the same poor standard as far as I'm concerned.

It truly boggles my mind that this stuff isn't on at 4pm in the afternoon or Saturday mornings.
    You're not alone. I completely agree, especially with the standards being poor. Merlin definitly reminds me of the same goofy cheese as robin hood/dr who/torchwood/primeval ect.

As for kids tv, I guess ill stick with reruns of Knightmare

I really wish someone in the UK would make a serious fantasy or sci-fi drama. Sick of this kiddy crap...
    I'm making a show called Mist Forging, but its certainly not aimed at commercial audiences. But if you want something with hard science, lovecraftian horror and a 40kish style - you might like this. If you're interested, ill happily PM the concept work iv done for it over to you.
    Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
    Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Anything is better than that King Arthur movie... perhaps if they hadn't claimed it to be the 'true story' of King Arthur and then filled it with more inaccuracies than a historian can shake his pen at I would have found it more bearable.

As for BBC's Merlin... I always imagined Merlin to be much older than Arthur. Still, I'll wait and see how the story progresses.

The best Arthur movie, as everyone knows, was 'Merlin and the Sword' You know if you take all the D's out of Edward Woodwards name he'd be called Ewar Woowar.

A sci-fi/steampunk/fantasy novel... with color pictures!
      My Blog

“This summer on Sci-Fi... as part of our five year mission to find the lowest common denominator, we bring you… Extreme Psychic Reality Makeover…!"

Comment

I really enjoy this show. Its one of only a few shows that I watch with my family

Carter: Sir I've been thinking.
        O'Neill: I'd be shocked if you stopped Carter

Comment

Being British myself, I just don't get who recent British fantasy and sci-fi shows are appealing too. The standard is complete garbage. I've seen better live action kids TV during the 90s than shows like Merlin, Robbin Hood, Primeval, etc.

I understand that it actually finds a market upon export to the US though. Probably largely because of the success the new Dr. Who and Torchwood. Which are both of the same poor standard as far as I'm concerned.

It truly boggles my mind that this stuff isn't on at 4pm in the afternoon or Saturday mornings.

I really wish someone in the UK would make a serious fantasy or sci-fi drama. Sick of this kiddy crap...
          Well don't watch it then. Even Robin Hood is better than the substandard shows that are imported from the US, for kids and adults, you can't honestly say that Atlantis and BSG are better than Dr Who and Torchwood?

Originally posted by crazymitchell View Post
          I really enjoy this show. Its one of only a few shows that I watch with my family
          Me too, some of it is a bit far fetched like how light the castle is, even at night, how clean every one is (apart from Merlin after being pelted with rotten tomatoes) and how everyone is treated as an equal, but I can forgive the historical lapses for fifty minutes of watchable telly.

Robin of Sherwood was a lot better in it's plots and action and it's portrayal of mythology and the soundtrack just rocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
            Well don't watch it then. Even Robin Hood is better than the substandard shows that are imported from the US, for kids and adults, you can't honestly say that Atlantis and BSG are better than Dr Who and Torchwood?
            Atlantis and BSG are in a league above Dr Who and Torchwood, I don't even know how anyone could compare the two seriously. As for Robin Hood, words can't even describe how bad it is, as a Briton, I feel embarrassed of it by association. How the BBC or anyone can consider that quality entertainment is beyond me. The BBC series that can compete with it's American counterparts in terms of quality is Spooks.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Atlantis and BSG are in a league above Dr Who and Torchwood, I don't even know how anyone could compare the two seriously.
              Are we watching the same shows??

Comment

Atlantis and BSG are in a league above Dr Who and Torchwood, I don't even know how anyone could compare the two seriously.
                Don't you? quality is subjective, of course, but surely the fact that DW wins Hugos and stuff should give you an inkling of how people manage to compare the two. (And frequently, to find the SG shows lacking.)

But as to Merlin, it's not supposed to be intellectual, or earth-shattering, or the next epoch in the history of television. It's supposed to be good FAMILY entertainment, for a UK audience (that will perhaps sell overseas and nice if it does) but ultimately all that will matter is whether the UK family after-supper audience bites.
                Last edited by Madeleine; 10 November 2008, 10:12 AM. Reason: typo

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                  Don't you? quality is objective, of course, but surely the fact that DW wins Hugos and stuff should give you an inkling of how people manage to compare the two. (And frequently, to find the SG shows lacking.)

But as to Merlin, it's not supposed to be intellectual, or earth-shattering, or the next epoch in the history of television. It's supposed to be good FAMILY entertainment, for a UK audience (that will perhaps sell overseas and nice if it does)but ultimately all that will matter is whether the UK family after-supper audience bites.
                  Or the pre/post Strictly watchers who can't be bothered to switch off the telly

Another unofficial Green for you Mads

Comment

Don't you? quality is objective, of course,
                    You mean subjective?

but surely the fact that DW wins Hugos and stuff should give you an inkling of how people manage to compare the two. (And frequently, to find the SG shows lacking.)
                    Never heard of them. Dr Who is a children's TV show, a successful one no doubt, but that's still all it is. I don't see how you can compare such a cheap and tacky show like that to the likes of Stargate or BSG, it's a joke by comparison, one of those 'it's so bad it's good' type shows.

But as to Merlin, it's not supposed to be intellectual, or earth-shattering, or the next epoch in the history of television. It's supposed to be good FAMILY entertainment, for a UK audience (that will perhaps sell overseas and nice if it does)but ultimately all that will matter is whether the UK family after-supper audience bites.
                    By that logic reality shows are the very peak of TV viewing.
                    Last edited by jenks; 10 November 2008, 09:59 AM.

Comment

You mean subjective?
                      Yes indeed

Never heard of them.
                      Probably because Atlantis and SG1 don't tend to win them - though I'm pretty sure BSG has been nominated more than once. But they're pretty much the Oscars of the SF world.

Dr Who is a children's TV show, a successful one no doubt, but that's still all it is. I don't see how you can compare such a cheap and tacky show to the likes of Stargate or BSG, it's a joke by comparison, one of those 'it's so bad it's good' type shows.
                      I compare them by, well, comparing them. I don't see how anyone can not see how comparing can be done

Eh? What? who's talking about reality shows or peaks? Can we talk about Merlin please? It's supposed to be fun, and magical, and suitable for family viewing, and it'll either succeed or fail on each of those points, but it's not really anything like a reality show

If you don't like it, though, fine
                      Last edited by Madeleine; 10 November 2008, 10:14 AM.

Madeleine

Comment

You mean subjective?

Never heard of them. Dr Who is a children's TV show, a successful one no doubt, but that's still all it is. I don't see how you can compare such a cheap and tacky show like that to the likes of Stargate or BSG, it's a joke by comparison, one of those 'it's so bad it's good' type shows.

Personally, and at the age of 24, I find DW to be more mature, dealing with a lot of materials in much more depth and with a lot more thought put into it than either SG or BSG.
                        And it really isn't either tacky or cheap, io looks fantastic.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree then. For me the special effects are poor, and would be ripped to pieces if they appeared in SG or BSG, David Tennant over acts to cringe worthy levels, and the sets looks like they were built for a primary school play, but each to their own.

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree then. For me ... David Tennant over acts to cringe worthy levels
                            Sure, it's horses for courses and all that

(But David Tennant isn't even IN Merlin )

Madeleine

Comment

(But David Tennant isn't even IN Merlin )
                              A shame, really. I'm sure they can give him a guest role as Sir Gawain or something!

Speaking of actors, I've stated it in the past, but Colin Morgan is a joy to watch.
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

He is really good

Comment

Working...
                                X