No announcement yet.

Merlin (BBC version) Spoilers abound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glowing staffs are pretty much a staple in all magical mythology and legends, and immortality too.

And they're going to be the same because, as you said, they both draw upon Athurian Mythology. It's like comparing early SG-1 to a show based on the Egyptian Dieties.

Comment

Originally posted by carrollwoman View Post
      Not sure if other countries get the programme but in the UK there is a series on BBC One - Merlin.
      I was watching last weeks episode (The Gates of Avalon) and noticed that it had some things very similar to stargate -

1. Reference to Avalon
      2. Staff very similar to an Ori Staff
      3. People trying to 'ascend' to a life of immortality

This might be because both sg1 (season 9 and 10) and Merlin both draw from the legend of King Arthur and Merlin - Does that mean both production designers got the design for the staff weapon from a real source?

Has anyone else noticed the similarities to stargate?
      Are the makers fans of Stargate?
      If anything, I'd say Stargate was similar to Merlin. Bare in mind that the fictional era used by both shows stems from and is indeed based on Arthurian mythology. I don't find it surprising that themes such as magic and quests of immortality, particularly where Avalon is concerened are mirrored in both.

Only the staff used by that individual strikes me as a coincidence, so in that lone area I wonder if there could be any winking going on. But then, just take a look at the staffs in Lord of The Rings... it's not an original design, and can probably be traced to real historical artifacts.

EDIT: Do'h! Prophet beat me to it!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I watched about 15 minutes of it, and I'll never go back to find out. I wish the BBC would stop trying to punch above their weight, what they come up with is just embarrassing, Robin Hood was bad but this is something else...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          I watched about 15 minutes of it, and I'll never go back to find out. I wish the BBC would stop trying to punch above their weight, what they come up with is just embarrassing, Robin Hood was bad but this is something else...
          Robin Hood WAS indeed bad, but I'm really enjoying Merlin.

Though the one true Merlin shall always be Sam Neill's.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

it's quite good. Much more better than that awful movie where Merlin was some sort of a forest half-naked wierdo
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

King Arthur? That movie puts this cheese to shame.

Comment

King Arthur? That movie puts this cheese to shame.
                yeah, that's it
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

Like everyone said, the similar references are to be expected as they are deriving from the same mythology - that being said, both take particular twists on the original concepts of Morgana/Morgain and other aspects of the legends.

Merlin is an okay family entertainment show. If I had kids I'd rather them watch something like that than Strictly Come Dancing or X Factor
                  The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                  The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                  Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                  Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                  An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                  Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

It's actually getting better beginning episode 3 or so... worth having another look.

(although, that said, I'd loev for the conflict in one episode to not revolve around magic. Sigh.)
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Being British myself, I just don't get who recent British fantasy and sci-fi shows are appealing too. The standard is complete garbage. I've seen better live action kids TV during the 90s than shows like Merlin, Robbin Hood, Primeval, etc.

I understand that it actually finds a market upon export to the US though. Probably largely because of the success the new Dr. Who and Torchwood. Which are both of the same poor standard as far as I'm concerned.

It truly boggles my mind that this stuff isn't on at 4pm in the afternoon or Saturday mornings.

I really wish someone in the UK would make a serious fantasy or sci-fi drama. Sick of this kiddy crap...

Comment

Does anyone know if this has been sent to American television yet on BBCAmerica?

Comment

It is on schedule for a spring timeslot on NBC, here in the states.

I watched the first few episodes. I'll put forth that it at least is more appealing, generally speaking, than the ridiculous Legend of the Seeker. All the same, I will continue to watch both until it comes to the point where my time is too important and I have to make choices.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
                            Being British myself, I just don't get who recent British fantasy and sci-fi shows are appealing too. The standard is complete garbage. I've seen better live action kids TV during the 90s than shows like Merlin, Robbin Hood, Primeval, etc.

I understand that it actually finds a market upon export to the US though. Probably largely because of the success the new Dr. Who and Torchwood. Which are both of the same poor standard as far as I'm concerned.

It truly boggles my mind that this stuff isn't on at 4pm in the afternoon or Saturday mornings.

I really wish someone in the UK would make a serious fantasy or sci-fi drama. Sick of this kiddy crap...
                            well that's quite simple. All of them are designed for famalies. In fact they are considered '3rd generation' shows. Meaning that they can be watched my kids, their parents and their grandparents. And it is perfect for that. I still can't get into merlin. The sets are good though and anthony heads acting is excellent as always. I'd probably watch the show just for him. But at the same time I did see one before where Arthur and the knights had to go into combat and that did look a bit crappy. All in all these shows serve their purpose and they are pretty entertaining. I just wish they stuck to their legends a little more. Like robin hood went a bit off the rails after the first episode. But I enjoyed that too. And certainly primeval I think is an excellent show.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

It's a very different version from any other Arthurian story, with Arthur being a pampered princeling brought up by his own father. I suppose that's part of the beauty of the legend: because it *is* a legend it can be taken anywhere you want it to go.

In the new version at least there is proper magic to it. Not like the abomination that was First Knight. The castle that they found to film the exterior scenes is quite stunning, and truly worthy of being Camelot. Merlin, Arthur, Morgana and Guinevere are all personable; Uther is a bit of a cliche but Tony Head makes a good show of it. I doubt that this series could ever replace my beloved Penguin book by Roger Lancelyn Green - the one with the pictures done as papercuts - in my affections, but it's no disgrace to either the BBC or the legend of Arthur.

As a "generation" show it works jolly well. Mr W and I can sit and enjoy it with the sprogs, and there are so few programmes about that suit all four of us, that this one is very welcome.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by neiana View Post
                                It is on schedule for a spring timeslot on NBC, here in the states.

I watched the first few episodes. I'll put forth that it at least is more appealing, generally speaking, than the ridiculous Legend of the Seeker. All the same, I will continue to watch both until it comes to the point where my time is too important and I have to make choices.
                                Oh, it's that Merlin? Excellent, I had been planning on watching that as well. I didn't realize they were the same.

I actually like Legend of the Seeker. LOL It's about the only thing that's on TV on Saturdays here as well, so that doesn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X