Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While reading other books, I'm doing a re-read of The Hobbit.
    sigpic
    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
      While reading other books, I'm doing a re-read of The Hobbit.
      Becareful. I've heard that reading Tolkien can be 'Hobbit' forming...!
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
        Becareful. I've heard that reading Tolkien can be 'Hobbit' forming...!
        I know, and I'll probably end up reading LOTR as well.
        sigpic

Comment

I've gone a little 'retro'.
          I've bought the 'Dan Dare : Spacefleet Operations manual'.

Full of information on the Ships, people and tech from Dan Dare Pilot of the Future. as seen in the 'Eagle' comic back in the late 50's and 60's.

Comment

Finished reading "The Departure" by Neal Asher. Very good book, possibly his best work so far.

Next up is "The Return of the Black Company" by Glen Cook.

Comment

I am currently reading some scifi space drama/adventure story called Ancillary Justice. I've read maybe 10 pages so far and I think this will be good. Usually I wouldn't prejudge a book by it's first 10 pages; I typically wait till I've read 25 pages before making a decision.

Comment

Finished my Hobbit re-read, so I'm now reading Children of Hurin.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, I finally finished Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, and it turned out to be excellent. I still didn't think the actual writing was all that great, but the story was magnificent. Onto The Well of Ascension...same author, same series.
                  sigpic
                  Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
                    Well, I finally finished Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, and it turned out to be excellent. I still didn't think the actual writing was all that great, but the story was magnificent. Onto The Well of Ascension...same author, same series.

I just finished Well of Ascension and enjoyed it.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm about to start book 2 of The Game of Thrones...
                      Whilst still working my way through 'Beginnings'.

Comment

Reading The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by Tolkien. It's really more Norse mythology in poem form than fantasy, but I think it still counts.
                        sigpic

Comment

"Terminus" by Adam Baker.

Follow up to "Outpost" and "Juggernaut". Very much in the Survival Horror genre.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Finished reading "The Return of the Black Company" by Glen Cook.

Next up is "Caliban's War" by James S.A. Corey.

Comment

Having finished all my library books earlier in the week, I've rattled through four Star Trek novels from my collection.

First, the "My Brother's Keeper" trilogy by Michael Jan Friedman. Comprising of "Republic", "Constitution", and "Enterprise", set immediately after the events of the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before", the novels primarily deal with Capt. Kirk's feelings after being forced to kill his best friend, Gary Mitchell. But also, they tell the story of how Kirk and Mitchell first met at Starfleet Academy and their early missions together.

Now, it's onto "Kobayashi Maru" by Julia Ecklar. To pass the time while they wait for the Enterprise to find their crippled shuttlecraft, Kirk, Chekov, Sulu, and Scotty all tell the tale of how they faced Starfleet Academy's infamous no-win scenario.
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

A Game of Thrones, in original book format. It's hard to picture some of the people as the right age after seeing the tv series first.

So now I'm waiting on a few books from the library.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X