Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taking a break from the lands of Westeros for a little while.
    And so I've started reading book 1 of The Amtrak Wars : Cloud Warrior by Patrick Tilley.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
      I'm taking a break from the lands of Westeros for a little while.
      And so I've started reading book 1 of The Amtrak Wars : Cloud Warrior by Patrick Tilley.
      Ohh, it's been years since I last re-read The Amtrak Wars.

Which editions do you have? Editions published after 1998 have been slightly edited and revised somewhat.

Also this might interest you - http://www.thetalismanprophecy.com/
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

The editions I have are pre 1998. Cloud Warrior is a 1991 edition.
        I also have the Illustrated Guide, somewhere at home.

Thank you for the link. I am, as far as I can remember, signed up to the Facebook page.

I was aware that the editions printed after 1998 had been tweaked a little.

Comment

Just Finished "Firebird" by Jack McDevitt. I am loving his books.
          no means no, and so does pepper spray
          Sig by The Carpenter
          sigpic

Comment

I finished 'Cloud Warrior' last night.
            So I am now on Book 2 of The Amtrak Wars : First Family.

Comment

I just finished the first four books of "The Remaining" zombie series by DJ Molles, excellent books! I haven't read 4 books, in succession, in some time now.

Originally posted by dsigal View Post
              Ugh, just finished this on my read through of all the books nominated for the Hugo this year. Easily my least favorite. It was a true struggle for me to get through. I think a bit of a slog is a good description. It's not poorly written, in fact it's obviously well researched and thought out and imaginative, but its heavy on speculative science and world building and weak on plot and characterization. We're talking pages and pages and pages at a time of pure speculative scientific explanation of how humans have populated the solar system, without any character or plot involved at all. There's a story, but it takes a backseat to KSR's ideas of what humanity is like in the year 2312 and how it got there, which if fine if you like that sort of thing, but it wasn't really for me.
              Hugo winners are often terrible books to read.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Very, very, very early stages of pre-production.
              They have been in early pre production for ages. Something tells me this will never get made.
              Last edited by Krichton; 13 August 2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                IThey have been in early pre production for ages. Something tells me this will never get made.
                Last I heard (which was a couple of weeks ago) they were still looking for a production base, somewhere they can knock up the interior sets and so on.

They were apparently eyeing up the site of the former IBM plant at Spango Valley in Greenock.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Well from the joys of 'First Family' to the strange land of Ne-Issan.
                  I'm now reading 'Iron Master' the third volume of The Amtrak Wars'.

Comment

Come the weekend, when I'm in Glasgow and near a decent bookshop, I'll be buying "A Game of Battleships" by Toby Frost.

Long awaited fourth book in the increasingly barking mad Space Captain Smith series.
                    sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "Century of the Soldier" by Paul Kearney. Good book, or I should say good books since it was two or three books folded into one.

Next up is "Legion", a short story by Brandon Sanderson.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        Come the weekend, when I'm in Glasgow and near a decent bookshop, I'll be buying "A Game of Battleships" by Toby Frost.

Long awaited fourth book in the increasingly barking mad Space Captain Smith series.
                        And as these things happen, Waterstones was shut by the time I came out of the cinema.

Hey ho, them's the breaks.

But I'll be in Edinburgh later in the week, going to a couple of events at the Book Festival, so I'll see if I can pick up a copy on my travels.
                        sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "Legion" by Brandon Sanderson. It really was a short story but at least it was a very interesting one.

Next up is either "Icerigger" by Alan Dean Foster or "Existence" by David Brin.

Comment

"the Human Division" by John Scalzi.
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

Earth Thunder by Patrick Tilley. Book 4 of The Amtrak Wars

Comment

"NOS-4R2" by Joe Hill.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X