Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished reading "Abaddons Gate" by James S.A. Corey. This series (The expanse) just keeps on getting better and better

Next up is either "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross or the first story in the "Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft" book.

Comment

I'm currently reading Starfist Book IV : Blood Contact. Amongst a list of other books.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

"The Seven Per Cent Solution" by Nicholas Meyer.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
          Nice. Didn't realize that a first edition of that book was so worthless.
          hahaha
          I have about 10 pages left. Definitely was excellent. Interesting to see the differences in the movie. But apparently Sagan was involved with the making of the movie as well but died before it was released. So at least the movie was something he approved of, which makes me happy.

Think I'm going to read Daniel Suarez's Freedom next, the sequel to Daemon which was pretty good.

Comment

Well following my trip to the library I'm about to start "S" by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst.

One book. Two readers. A world of mystery, menace and desire.

A young woman picks up a book left behind by a stranger. Inside it are his margin notes, which reveal a reader entranced by the story and by its mysterious author. She responds with notes of her own, leaving the book for the stranger, and so begins an unlikely conversation that plunges them both into the unknown.

THE BOOK: "Ship of Theseus", the final novel by a prolific but enigmatic writer named V. M. Straka, in which a man with no past is shanghaied onto a strange ship with a monstrous crew and launched on a disorienting and perilous journey.

THE WRITER: Straka, the incendiary and secretive subject of one of the world's greatest mysteries, a revolutionary about whom the world knows nothing apart from the words he wrote and the rumours that swirl around him.

THE READERS: Jennifer and Eric, a college senior and a disgraced grad student, both facing crucial decisions about who they are, who they might become, and how much they're willing to trust another person with their passions, hurts and fears.

On the surface of things, it appears to be a hardback book, published in 1949. But then you notice the handwritten notes in the margins - notes in two sets of handwriting. Then there's the hastily scribbled notes on scraps of paper, napkins etc.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Finished reading "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross. Fun book, though I think that the author is a little to fond of showing off that that he knows about computer stuff

Also finished reading "The Call of Chthulu" by H.P. Lovecraft.

Next up is "Orbus" which is the third book in the "Spatterjay" series by Neal Asher.

Comment

Started reading A Feast for Crows this afternoon.
                sigpic
                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Hi there
                  The best sci/fi books i've ever read are "Mission Earth" by L Ron Hubbard, it's a series of 10 books, and it's the best comedic/dark series of books. I don't subscribe to Mr Hubbard's way of thinking.
                  The second series of books i've read is "The Skylark series" by E E Doc Smith, those books if they had made it into a film would have Star wars look like a B rate movie.
                  I've read countless Sci/fi books in my life but those are the books that really stands out for me, so what sci/fi books are you reading?.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi all,

I am about to start reading... Technokill Book V in the 'Starfist' series.

Comment

Finished reading "Shadow and Betrayal" by Daniel Abraham, which is a collection of the first two books in his "long price" series. Surprisingly good read, will definitely finish reading the series in short order

Comment

I've been delving into "The Pantheon" series by James Lovegrove.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm continuing to read the 'Starfist' series of books.
                          I am now reading book VII.

Comment

Good news for fans of John Scalzi:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/reds...-tv-series-fx/

I´m looking forward to this, the book is really a great choice to base a limited series on

Comment

Despite the series being cancelled by the publisher.

I am continuing to read the Starfist series. I am now finishing Book VII : Kingdom's Swords
                              and will be reading Book VIII : Kingdom's Fury shortly.

Comment

I heard this mentioned a lot, but what this Starfist series?
                                sigpic
                                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                                X