Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    I loved The Quantum Thief. IMO its successor The Fractal Prince is even better. Both have interesting interweaving plots that make a complete whole by the end. Both also contain lots of bizarre concepts that aren't explained right away, so the first halves of both books are rather confusing. Also, it really helps if you speak Finnish. Even though Rajaniemi writes in English (he's a quantum physicist and the language of q-phys is English), many names are Finnish (Perhonen = butterfly, hence the butterfly avatar for the ship; Mieli = mind, Sydän = heart).
    Ok, interesting to know. Will definitely try to remember what those words stand for when I read the sequel.

I completely agree that the author doesn't explain a lot of concepts very well and instead depends on readers just figuring it out. It was kind of annoying not having gevolut, archons and all the rest explained better, heck there are still things that I´m not quite certain what they were supposed to be.

Comment

Now reading "Micro" by Michael Chrichton, and Michael Preston.

Apparently, this is the novel that Chrichton was working on at the time of his death in 2008.

Being honest, I wish publishers would respect their clients after their deaths, and not raid their files for "new" material.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        Now reading "Micro" by Michael Chrichton, and Michael Preston.

Apparently, this is the novel that Chrichton was working on at the time of his death in 2008.

Being honest, I wish publishers would respect their clients after their deaths, and not raid their files for "new" material.
        In general I'd agree with that, the exception being when the authors clearly want their work to be finished like with Robert Jordan and "The wheel of Time".

Comment

I've started to read the 'Game of Thrones' series of books.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
            I've started to read the 'Game of Thrones' series of books.
            Hope you have some time on your hands! I read all but the newest one, I did enjoy them, but there are sooo many characters to remember. There were 1 or 2 of the books that seemed to focus more on some of the less major characters, still really liked them!

Comment

Finished "All Clear" by Connis Willis. The end of the cliff hanger book "Blackout".. Even though I enjoyed the time travel , and most of the last book, I do think she dragged it out a bit too long. But all in all it was an interesting read.
              no means no, and so does pepper spray
              Sig by The Carpenter
              sigpic

Comment

Just finished "Plague Town" by Dana Fredsti.

First in the "Ashley Parker" series, it's very much Buffy the Zombie Slayer. Pretty good, I'll keep an eye open for the next book in the series "Plague Nation".
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Finished Jim Butcher Dresden # 1 & 2

Comment

Finished reading "Great North Road" by Peter F. Hamilton. Great book, I highly recommend it.

Next up is "Century of the Soldier" by Paul Kearny.

Comment

"Broken Homes" by Ben Aaronovitch.

Fourth book in the "Rivers of London" series. Half urban fantasy, half police procedural.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've nearly finished the first 'Game of Thrones' novel...

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                          I've nearly finished the first 'Game of Thrones' novel...
                          Just wait till you get to book four *evil laughter* I read books 2 and 3 super fast.
                          sigpic

Comment

Currently reading Simon R Green "Nightside" series. I've read 5 of the books so far. It's not as interesting as the Dresden Files but it's worth reading...
                            Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
                            Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                              Just wait till you get to book four *evil laughter* I read books 2 and 3 super fast.
                              I am aware that book 3 has been split into two parts.
                              I have yet to get books 2, 3 and 4. But that will change.

I have enjoyed book 1. I really want Joffrey to get it. I mean really get it. He is an evil little...!

Comment

If I knew then what I know now about how long it's taking R.R. Martin to finish writing this series I would have waited to read it I think that I started reading it about 10 years ago and the long wait between books has really hurt the series imo, mainly because by the time each book came out I'd forgotten most of what happened in the previous books.

The TV series has fortunately helped refresh my memory, at least when it comes to the main highlights.

Comment

Working...
                                X