Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
    @ chocolate_muffin - Neverwhere is ace. Do you twitter, cos Gaiman is prolific and interesting to follow?
    Oh really? I've not delved into the world of twitter yet. He is very active on Facebook however.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
      That statement does not in any way suggest that I think films are the "definitive form of media." You've created an imaginary argument which you are the sole debater.
      *sigh* Good to know films and/or television aren't definitive. So, what about theatre and plays, do you have any opinion regarding those?

Originally posted by iffy
      I love Thursday Next. I have the whole series. Started some crime novel thing, found it at the library sale for 25 cents and so far it is not worth much more.
      Michael Marshall Smith wrote a couple of rather good thriller books, The Straw Men and Blood of Angels, which I liked. However, I prefer his SF and I wonder if you've read Spares or Going Forward which are two of my fave recent novels. Here...

Originally posted by chocolate_muffin
      Oh really? I've not delved into the world of twitter yet. He is very active on Facebook however.
      *makes note to check FB out* I really need to get over my addiction to social networking sites, especially FB because it wastes life, dammit.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
        well, I do I love Gaiman. I have two books signed by him--Coraline and The Graveyard Book
        I recommend two picture books he wrote with frightening regularity to my middle school students: The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, which is a traditional children's story, and The Wolves in the Walls, which isn't. The artwork in both is very modern and textured, which compliments Gaiman's words well.
        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

I finished reading The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce just in time to return it to the library It started out slowly, but the ending was AWESOME!!! I just borrowed the second book in The Darkangel Trilogy, A Gathering of Gargoyles, and I can't wait to start reading it. I just love how unique the setting and the story are. I've never read anything like it before. It's definitely a FAR better take on the vampire myth than Sparkleboy saga...

And on another note, I also borrowed the original How to Train Your Dragon book by Cressida Cowell. It's nothing like the movie, but it's still pretty cute and quite funny
          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
          sigpic
          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Do not bother to buy any Robert W. Walker books even for .25. Fatal Instinct is really florid. "terrifying, fluttering, wild bird thoughts" is one of my fav lines from the book. Mr/ Walker over writes and needs a better editor.

I think I am going to read This Alein Shore next.
            sigpic

Comment

Finished reading Glactic North by Alastair Reynolds, now to try to find Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days by him! That's that last one to read in the Revelation Space universe.

Has anyone read any books by Ben Bova and his Grand Tour series? I heard there was a new Mars book out!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandom Addict View Post
                Finished reading Glactic North by Alastair Reynolds, now to try to find Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days by him! That's that last one to read in the Revelation Space universe.

Has anyone read any books by Ben Bova and his Grand Tour series? I heard there was a new Mars book out!
                Alistair Reynolds is great, high-concept SciFi. Love it. I haven't read much Bova, mostly his early stuff, and Colony is the one that always springs to mind. I might put that on my, 'you really need to look at that again' list.
                sigpic

Comment

Or do I want to read book three of the WOT series?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                    Or do I want to read book three of the WOT series?
                    Did you already read em?

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                      I finished reading The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce just in time to return it to the library It started out slowly, but the ending was AWESOME!!! I just borrowed the second book in The Darkangel Trilogy, A Gathering of Gargoyles, and I can't wait to start reading it. I just love how unique the setting and the story are. I've never read anything like it before. It's definitely a FAR better take on the vampire myth than Sparkleboy saga...

And on another note, I also borrowed the original How to Train Your Dragon book by Cressida Cowell. It's nothing like the movie, but it's still pretty cute and quite funny
                      Oo i have the Darkangel books but i havent gotten around to reading them yet, maybe ill go find them.
                      As a side note: I nearly just set myself on fire trying to light my barbecue with a lighter and birthday candles. That wouldve been embarassingly painful.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                        Oo i have the Darkangel books but i havent gotten around to reading them yet, maybe ill go find them.
                        As a side note: I nearly just set myself on fire trying to light my barbecue with a lighter and birthday candles. That wouldve been embarassingly painful.
                        Go start reading them! The first one is really good

And thank goodness you didn't get burned!

anyhoo, I just finished the How to Train Your Dragon book today. It is honestly nothing like the movie, but it was still really good. It was mostly humorous, while the movie did get a bit more serious. And the plot was completely changed except for a few elements. However, this is one of those rare occasions when I actually liked the movie better than the book... I just liked the movie story better. But I still think Cressida Cowell is very creative, and I love her style. I can't wait to read the next one
                        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                          Did you already read em?
                          I've read up to book 5 or 6. I can't remember where I stopped, as it was a while ago.
                          sigpic

Comment

Alistair Reynolds is great, high-concept SciFi. Love it. I haven't read much Bova, mostly his early stuff, and Colony is the one that always springs to mind. I might put that on my, 'you really need to look at that again' list.
                            I love Bova's series. Start with Mars, then Return to Mars. I know it's not in order in the Grand Tour series, but those two are fantastic! Saturn is good too and it's semi-sequal Titan.

Just brought Diamond Dogs and Turquiose Days and Puching Ice by Alatrair Reynolds. Have to wait for them to be delivered than I can read them!

Comment

Pushing Ice is great. Enjoyed it a lot.
                              sigpic

Comment

Pushing Ice is great. Enjoyed it a lot.
                                I know it's not in the Revalation Space series, but I read House of Suns, and it's just as good.

Comment

Working...
                                X