This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
    Remember how earlier we discussed that this movie might be offensive?

It turns out that Iran is very offended by this movie:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070313...OKcg_bCYvMWM0F
    that is hysterical.
    why does everyone have to turn everything into politics? they are so far off - especially since this is based on truth and isn't doing anything except telling a story.
    what a bunch of cry babies.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
      that is hysterical.
      QFT

I like how this is up there with Alexander as anti-iranian hollywood.
      Of course if you listen to this guy, then they might be onto something:
      http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...k5MzlkZjJmYjA=

BTW, What's a "google bomb"?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
        Calm down friend.

I have no question about the epic nature of the event. I am talking about the movie. I don't know why you keep trying to bring the history of the event into it, if we do that, then the movie becomes a big pile of steaming poo. I know Ephialtes was real, but that has no bearing on whether or not I have to enjoy the way they portrayed him in the movie. I also khow he was portrayed that way in the comic book, but again, that doesn't give it a free pass in the movie.

Seriously, it's like the movie has to be loved because it is either: A. Based on a real event. or B. It is an adaptation of a comic book.

Obiously trying to make a claim about the "epicness" of the movie is a matter of opinion. I just feel they did a poor job of it. Maybe if they wouldn't have mocked the other Greeks in the movie, then your point of them trying to defend all of Greece would have come across better.

Oh, and Yes, I know Lawrence of Arabia isn't based on Antiquity, I'm pretty sure it deals with the chinese landing on the moon or something like that.
        Honestly, I don't care if you liked the movie or not. I really don't. Believe me or not, it's true. I am only arguing (if it can be called that) about the history, because you are the one who keeps bringing up the historical aspect of the movie and whether or not it was "epic". It was epic historically, hence why Frank Miller wrote it in those terms, and so that's why the movie tried to do the same thing. If you think that it didn't do a good job of that in the movie, then that is fine, I can understand that. I must say that, personally, thinking it lacked "epicness" because the Spartans mocked the other Greeks, is kind of lame, but that's just me. The same with Ephialtes; although we will just have to differ on that point, however I won't go further into that here.

It does seem that you have more a problem with the fact that it was almost a direct translation from the GN into a movie, than just a movie on its own, only loosely inspired by the GN. But I don't know what to say about that. Shocking, I know.
        "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by Orion's Star View Post
          I am only arguing (if it can be called that) about the history, because you are the one who keeps bringing up the historical aspect of the movie and whether or not it was "epic". It was epic historically, hence why Frank Miller wrote it in those terms, and so that's why the movie tried to do the same thing.
          I guess we are just on a different page, when I say historical epic it just means as a genre of film, not as something that was epic historically.

As far as it being a direct translation of the GN, I really am not sure if thats what my problem with it is...but it could be?

Comment

I guess we are just on a different page, when I say historical epic it just means as a genre of film, not as something that was epic historically.

As far as it being a direct translation of the GN, I really am not sure if thats what my problem with it is...but it could be?
            You may be right that we have suffered from a problem of miscommunication. In any case, sorry if I came off as...brusque or what have you.

Anyway, it's not like you have to have a reason for not liking the movie as much as some of the people in this thread, it just seems like that might have been an issue from what you have been saying. It may be that in the process of bringing the GN to life, they lost some of what made the GN good and simply didn't follow through. Or it could be that the GN itself is the problem. Who knows, it's ultimately not that big a deal, I figure (despite how I might have acted).
            "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Yeah, I'm planning on checking out the graphic novel in the hope that it comes across better than the movie did. I really like Miller's style.

Comment

BTW, What's a "google bomb"?
                google it!

Spoiler:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                  It turns out that Iran is very offended by this movie:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070313...OKcg_bCYvMWM0F
                  Ridiculous. I for one would never have even thought of the connection between ancient Persia and modern-day Iran if they hadn't said anything. I'll wager that no one would have, and it would have been no big deal. Now they're going out of their way to point it out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFlush View Post
                    Ridiculous. I for one would never have even thought of the connection between ancient Persia and modern-day Iran if they hadn't said anything. I'll wager that no one would have, and it would have been no big deal. Now they're going out of their way to point it out.
                    Others hanve pointed it out too, but it is ridiculous. I never understand why people protest movies, I am pretty sure that all it does is increase the number of people who see it in the long run.

Comment

from what i've read and seen, this film looks great. looking forward to going to see it.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFlush View Post
                        Ridiculous. I for one would never have even thought of the connection between ancient Persia and modern-day Iran if they hadn't said anything.
                        I've seen at least one review mention it. I suppose it's like some of the stuff on BSG. Some people say it parallels Iraq, some say it parallels WWII and some say it's just BSG and people should shut up and watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted_Beckett View Post
                          This movie has me very intrigued but i a little confused as to the plot, mainly cause i'm not too familier with Greek/Persian history. I loved the dark atmoshere of Sin City so i'm sure i'll enjoy this.
                          its mainly about the Battle of Thermopylae 300 spartans managed to hold off a massive persian army

Comment

I finally got to the theater to see this & I am so glad I didn't just wait for the DVD like I usually do, wow!

It was a spectacular, visually stunning adrenaline ride (and the endless parade of nearly nekkid gorgeous man flesh was a welcome bonus!). The special effects were top notch, I can't believe it was all done with green screen.

As to the cinematography, the review I read about it being movie as art form was spot on the money. There was so much to look at and the angles, colors and scenes were incredible. I loved how the colors in the Sparta scenes were all golden earth tones and all the battle scenes were done in vibrant red and black.

Sure, there wasn't a lot of character development, but I didn't expect that. The only disappointment I had with the whole movie was that I didn't go see the IMAX version! I am definitely getting this one when it comes out on DVD.

Comment

I have to admit I am stunned.... five pages and no one noticed this was a Stargate movie? Xerxes didn't just sound like a Gao'uld, his eyes were painted to look like one, he was carried around human slaves, the harem looked an awful lot like the one in "Children of the Gods".. about all that they forgot was the eye flash thing!*

It was a story of the Tau'ri beating back a Gao'uld and defending the future of Earth. I guess Xerxes Ha'tak was just in the shop.. heh!

That said, I enjoyed the film, thought it was a lot of fun.

------
                              * Disclaimer, I know it was an adaptation of the graphic novel, but c'mon.. the similarities are fun to see.

Comment

Gayest campest most OTT thing I've seen in a long while. Best movie ever made, don't make me laugh
                                sigpic
                                "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Working...
                                X