Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have herd about 300 from one of my friends and he seems to be sure that this will be a good film so if its already got a fan base it should do well
    It was comic book at first right like sin city
    sigpic
    Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
    Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      The thing is, the Persian army is being portrayed as a bunch of evil rapist, subhuman monsters while the Spartans are supermacho He-Men, perfect in body. Neither of this things are historically correct, nor is it responsible of the filmmakers to perpetuate the myth of the civilized west and the savage east, given current conflicts in the Middle East.
      I think you're reading too much into it. And by "reading too much into it" I mean "making things up".

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        The thing is, the Persian army is being portrayed as a bunch of evil rapist, subhuman monsters while the Spartans are supermacho He-Men, perfect in body. Neither of this things are historically correct, nor is it responsible of the filmmakers to perpetuate the myth of the civilized west and the savage east, given current conflicts in the Middle East.
        Why should it be wrong because of current events, it happened thousands of years ago? It seems like after 9/11 everyone thinks it's wrong to say anything bad about the Middle East.

Also, part of my family comes from Norway, and in tons of movies and tv shows they always portray vikings (which would be my ancestors) much like the Persians army; but I don't have a problem with that. I haven't heard anyone really object to how the vikings are portrayed. Also those events portrayed happened about a thousand years more recent than what happened with the Spartans.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
          CGI is fine if used well; the LoTR movies had plots around the orc battles, and even the trailers contained more than CGI. 300 looks visually impressive, but the graphics help the film look more like an action based screen saver than a film with plot plus CGI.
          The CGI is being used to show Frank Miller's unique style. I don't think it's going to present an obstruction to the storytelling.
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I don't know about "best movie ever made" but it looks like a fast, fun romp. As far as making the invading Army look like sweet little choirboys just to be (in the opinion of one of the people who posted in this thread) more PC is ridiculous.

First of all, the Persians of that time have NOTHING to do with the current situation in the Middle East (reasons too numerous for me to bother listing, but they cover philosophic and geographic differences among others). Second, there is such a thing as being too PC. Third, if the invading army weren't a bunch of bad-arse sons of you-know-what then what would be the point of the movie? If they were a bunch of prissy little choirboys then where would the suspense (and the wicked wonderful fight scenes) come in, eh?

Also, I will gladly wave my shallow fangirl flag & say that any film that shows a near-nekkid Gerard Butler (even one with a horrifyingly ugly beard) is worth my time to see...

Just my $0.02. You can keep the change.

Comment

I cant wait to see this movie. I think it is going to rock big time.
              I really liked Sin city and the style of this movie is one of the things I like the most.
              Plus the kick- a$$ fight scenes lol

Comment

I can't wait for this movie. I just got done reading the Graphic Novel and it was BA
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Unlike "Sin City" the look of the movie doesn't get me that excited. The story itself is great though - bloody and a bit depressing but great. I read books about the great Battle of Thermopylae and I think it is amazing that 7000 Greeks were able to hurt an army between 120.000 and 2000.000 (the historians are still fighting about how large the Persian army really was) Persians so badly.

I haven't read the graphic novel. Are there any big differences between the actual events of the battle and what Miller wrote in "300" or is he sticking closely to the actual events. The title sounds as if he is concentrating mainly on the Spartan force from king Leonidas which was only 300 men strong.
                  He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                  He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                  And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                    I haven't read the graphic novel. Are there any big differences between the actual events of the battle and what Miller wrote in "300" or is he sticking closely to the actual events. The title sounds as if he is concentrating mainly on the Spartan force from king Leonidas which was only 300 men strong.
                    I'm pretty sure the monsters, ninjas, and giant Elephants didn't really take part in the real battle

BTW, For those in the US, it appears that if you buy any DVD at BestBuy Next week, you will get free movie cash for this (while supplies last). Also, if you buy the new extended cut of Alexander that comes out next tuesday you will get movie cash for it.

Comment

The title sounds as if he is concentrating mainly on the Spartan force from king Leonidas which was only 300 men strong.
                      I haven't read the graphic novel, but: I think the focus is on the 300 spartans because at one point (if my history is correct) Leonidas has to send most of the army back to defend another invasion point, but he and his 300 men stay behind to prevent the forces at the pass they were defending from advancing anymore... or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                        I'm pretty sure the monsters, ninjas, and giant Elephants didn't really take part in the real battle

BTW, For those in the US, it appears that if you buy any DVD at BestBuy Next week, you will get free movie cash for this (while supplies last). Also, if you buy the new extended cut of Alexander that comes out next tuesday you will get movie cash for it.
                        Monsters? Ninjas?? Giant Elephants???? o_O You are pulling my leg, right?

Thank you for the info TheBigFlush. I didn't remember that but it would make sense. Maybe they concentrate on that time span.
                        He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                        He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                        And he's wonderful.

Comment

Monsters? Ninjas?? Giant Elephants???? o_O You are pulling my leg, right?
                          No, the movie is very stylized. There are Ogres and ninjas (technically immortals that just look like ninjas) and the elephants are 80 feet tall. (this is all in the book, and I think the movie is the same)

Comment

Just saw another preview of this. Xerxes sounds like he is Go'uld.

Comment

God I can't wait for this movie. I'm seeing it opening night at my local theather then I'm going to watch it on Imax the next day and then I will be really happy
                              Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                              A Face you Can Trust
                              sigpic
                              So whats the worst that could happen?
                              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                              It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I'll definitely be going to see this movie soon after it comes out. It looks too good to ignore.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X