This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got back.
    this movie was awesome. absolutely awesome.

and it is pretty much page for page right out of Frank Miller's graphic novel.

for those of you whining, 300 isn't a recreation of the historic battle, its a recreation of the graphic novel. deal with it.

awesome.

Comment

Fantastic... much better than I was hoping for considering it was based off of a comic book rather than the historical truth. But they managed to get many historical accuracies in there which pleased this military history buff.

I will certainly be getting this when it makes its appearance on DVD.

Ace
      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

guys, you need to remember its not based on a comic book.
        its based on a graphic novel.

its way different.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
          guys, you need to remember its not based on a comic book.
          its based on a graphic novel.

its way different.
          The only difference is that a GN is typically published all in one volume.

Originally posted by Craig Ferguson
          Saying 'Graphic Novel' instead of 'Comic Book' is like saying 'Lactose Intolerant' instead of 'Milk makes me farty'.

Comment

Top 10 Movie of all time for me, but I don't know if I liked the part with the wife

and did anyone else find the sex scene not needed (not sying it was bad but kind of random)
            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            So whats the worst that could happen?
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Folks, lets remember that 'good' is a relative term. and one person's 'good' is another person's 'trash'

Respect the opinions of others...and telling them to shut up and go away is NOT respect
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Y'know, I've never understood people who can claim that such-and-such is the best movie ever made. In the entire history of filmmaking to proclaim that one is the best of all... how can anyone possibly make a judgment call like that? Particularly if you haven't seen every movie ever made?

To think it's one of the best, sure, or that it's the best you've seen in recent years... and yet the statement was made before the film was ever released. Wow. And yet when anyone dares to say that some upcoming movie/show is gonna suck, they get eviscerated for it. "How can you possibly know if you haven't seen it?" Shouldn't that question work in both directions? If you can't know that something is going to suck, you can't know it's going to be great, either. And as I said earlier, how can you possibly know that something is the best movie ever made unless you've SEEN every movie ever made?

I've seen the previews for 300. I've read some of the reviews. It sounds like an oversensationalized, hyper-violent piece of fluff; nothing more. Of course, I haven't seen it, so I can't say with any certainty, but fair's fair, so if people can say- sight unseen- that it's the best thing evah then I think I can certainly say that in my opinion I have reason to doubt this particular estimation.

Toaster's commentary was mild in comparison with some of the reviews I saw. I admit that some of the cinematographic techniques look interesting, but the story itself seems a little on the shallow side. That works for some people and in some cases I can appreciate a shallow movie, but I don't think 300 will be one of them.

Yes, it IS based on a comic book and I've seen a few movies that are based on comics (including Sin City), but "it's based on a comic book" shouldn't be an excuse for a shoddy story particularly when some comic-to-screen movies (including, IMO, Sin City) manage to overcome that particular hurdle. If, indeed, you wish to call it a "hurdle."

Being based on a comic/game/TV show/amusement park ride/whatever should be used as a platform to take that element to the next level, not to wallow in the shallowest possible waters of that element; take something and make it better, not worse.

I could be wrong, of course, but after nearly 30 years of watching movies I think I have a pretty good idea of what I like and what I dislike and based on what previews, clips and reviews I've seen, I definitely won't like 300. Glorified violence and gore have never been high on my list of "cool things" and 300 promises to bear a sensory overload of it. Like I said, that works for some people, I'm simply not one of them. If you are, more power to you and enjoy the film... but don't presume to tell people they're wrong for not sharing your opinion.

Comment

This is what I put for the other message boards about 300

I saw this movie yesterday. Wow. When I first saw the trailer I was like, that is original and neat looking that might be cool. Going into it I didn't expect to be blown away by it and that is what it did in my opinion. So its not historically accurate, not many movies are that is why they are movies. They took some big risks, but by doing so they made there's really unique.

Been a while since I sat through a theater going, yep, I will own this bad boy. I have always liked Gerard btw, that Scottish accent so sexy.

Everybody was wonderful, the story I thought was great. Honestly, if the Spartans were running towards me I would not see any shame pissing myself in terror and running away screaming into the night.

Outstanding movie, definitely one of those you have GOT to see in the theater and I can hardly wait for it to come out on dvd so I can watch it over and over. One of the grand daddy of gladiator movies, and not to mention all those men were ripped.

Okay me going to stop but seriously go see it

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    Folks, lets remember that 'good' is a relative term. and one person's 'good' is another person's 'trash'

Respect the opinions of others...and telling them to shut up and go away is NOT respect
                    hey shutup and go away.

no i kid i kid.

did you see it?
                    as a testament to the good and trash - my friend LOVED Superstar (the character from SNL), even so much as to have the DVD. I, would never be caught dead even being in a 3 foot radius of that thing. *shudders*

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    Y'know, I've never understood people who can claim that such-and-such is the best movie ever made. In the entire history of filmmaking to proclaim that one is the best of all... how can anyone possibly make a judgment call like that? Particularly if you haven't seen every movie ever made?

To think it's one of the best, sure, or that it's the best you've seen in recent years... and yet the statement was made before the film was ever released. Wow. And yet when anyone dares to say that some upcoming movie/show is gonna suck, they get eviscerated for it. "How can you possibly know if you haven't seen it?" Shouldn't that question work in both directions? If you can't know that something is going to suck, you can't know it's going to be great, either. And as I said earlier, how can you possibly know that something is the best movie ever made unless you've SEEN every movie ever made?

I've seen the previews for 300. I've read some of the reviews. It sounds like an oversensationalized, hyper-violent piece of fluff; nothing more. Of course, I haven't seen it, so I can't say with any certainty, but fair's fair, so if people can say- sight unseen- that it's the best thing evah then I think I can certainly say that in my opinion I have reason to doubt this particular estimation.

Toaster's commentary was mild in comparison with some of the reviews I saw. I admit that some of the cinematographic techniques look interesting, but the story itself seems a little on the shallow side. That works for some people and in some cases I can appreciate a shallow movie, but I don't think 300 will be one of them.

Yes, it IS based on a comic book and I've seen a few movies that are based on comics (including Sin City), but "it's based on a comic book" shouldn't be an excuse for a shoddy story particularly when some comic-to-screen movies (including, IMO, Sin City) manage to overcome that particular hurdle. If, indeed, you wish to call it a "hurdle."

Being based on a comic/game/TV show/amusement park ride/whatever should be used as a platform to take that element to the next level, not to wallow in the shallowest possible waters of that element; take something and make it better, not worse.

I could be wrong, of course, but after nearly 30 years of watching movies I think I have a pretty good idea of what I like and what I dislike and based on what previews, clips and reviews I've seen, I definitely won't like 300. Glorified violence and gore have never been high on my list of "cool things" and 300 promises to bear a sensory overload of it. Like I said, that works for some people, I'm simply not one of them. If you are, more power to you and enjoy the film... but don't presume to tell people they're wrong for not sharing your opinion.
                    you try too hard.

Comment

I don't really care that much, but it tends to annoy me when people lecture other people about what they shouldn't do, and then do the exact same thing they were lecturing about. Just because you say "fair's fair" does not excuse it. It's the same thing as saying to somebody "No offense, but..." and then proceed to call them a lazy, incompetent, loser.

Perhaps you shouldn't say that "300" isn't the best movie ever, since the claim is after all an opinion, or that the story is shallow and shoddy and ultimately a piece of fluff, if you haven't seen it? Just maybe? It's one thing to say that a movie isn't your particular flavor, but don't make a judgment about it.

Oh and this:

but don't presume to tell people they're wrong for not sharing your opinion.
                      Likewise.
                      "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Oh, people are more than welcome to think 300 IS the best thing in the universe. I have no actual problem with that. HOWEVER when it comes to the point of attacking someone and not only telling them they're "wrong" for disagreeing about it being great but implying that there must be something wrong with anyone who could possibly NOT like the movie, that's when I take issue. Said post has now been snipped by the mods, but the attitude is a continuous one expressed by some people. You wanna express your opinion about a movie, fine, but expressing it about a fellow user- particularly in a nasty way- isn't really the point of a discussion board.

I did try to make it clear that my feelings about 300 were solely my opinion and I never actually said it was wrong to make a judgment without having seen something because quite frankly it happens all the time. What I did say (or tried to say) was that it's ironic (and fairly hypocritical) that people are allowed to say such-and-such is fantastic without ever having seen it, but when they say such-and-such is horrible without ever having seen it they get called on the carpet for it. Seeing as you're doing pretty much the same thing... I'll let my words stand as is.

And I wouldn't say that anything is or isn't the "best movie ever made" because I haven't seen every movie ever made and would be in no real position to make a call like that.

Comment

Saw the movie on friday and enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as I hoped. Really, they probably should have cut out about 1/2 hour from it. I though a lot of the dialogue was terrible... "EAT A HEARTY BREAKFAST!!!!" All the talk of liberty and freedom felt out of place, and the political sequences back home just didn't do it for me. Did anyone notice when Leonidas said "Gather Round" but everyone was already gathered around?

Definately had some memorable scenes though, but I will probably wait for the dvd before watching it again (and I still have some free tickets left, so that is saying something)

Comment

I've seen the previews for 300. I've read some of the reviews. It sounds like an oversensationalized, hyper-violent piece of fluff; nothing more.
                            This isn't that far from the truth. But you know what? That doesn't necessarily make it bad. Sometimes you just want a really great visceral experience; '300' delivers.

As for the "best movie ever made" argument: I doubt if anyone is actually arguing that this movie is the finest piece of cinema ever fashioned by the hands of man; rather, I suspect they are exaggerating to relay their exceptional satisfaction/anticipation. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                              and did anyone else find the sex scene not needed (not sying it was bad but kind of random)
                              At first I thought it was excessive too, but
                              Spoiler:
                              I think it was to add distinction between her passion for her husband and the cold emotionless violation she allows later in the film

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                                Saw the movie on friday and enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as I hoped. Really, they probably should have cut out about 1/2 hour from it. I though a lot of the dialogue was terrible... "EAT A HEARTY BREAKFAST!!!!"
                                Worst line of the movie, IMO.

Originally posted by TheBigFlush View Post
                                This isn't that far from the truth. But you know what? That doesn't necessarily make it bad. Sometimes you just want a really great visceral experience; '300' delivers.
                                Absolutely. If you go into the movie expecting a slice and slash film with nice CGI you won't be disappointed. If you're in the mood to witness multiple beheadings you're going to be thrilled. I was hoping for a bit more though - a riveting plot, characters I was actually interested in, more complexity than just good guys vs. bad guys. Basically, take the best elements from Sin City and stick them into an ancient Greece setting. The movie failed to deliver that for me, so I went away from the theater lacking. *shrug*

It did have Dominic West in it, so yay for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X