This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
    What the Neverending Story was and still is great!
    The neverending story gave me nightmares. That gaint dog-dragon still creeps me out.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel View Post
      The neverending story gave me nightmares. That gaint dog-dragon still creeps me out.
      But..but, Falcor was a good guy!
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Yes! Falcor rocks! I loved "The Neverending Story" as a kid, and I still love it.
        The 80's "Flash Gordon" was pretty cheesy, though. The silent version is much better.

Comment

'Flash Gordon' To Introduce Familiar TV Elements
          Link: http://www.syfyportal.com/news423866.html
          Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

Media Village: Review of "Flash Gordon" Pilot:

From Media Village:

http://blogs.mediavillage.com/sci_fi...gordon_pi.html

(A few photos at the site. Please follow the link above for the complete review.)

July 21, 2007

Flash Gordon Pilot: Review

By Cynthia Boris

Flash! (ah ah) Savior of the Universe!

Flash! (ah ah) He'll save every one of us!

Okay, so the new Flash Gordon series doesn't open with that great 80's anthem by Queen, but still there's an awful lot to like about this contemporary retelling of the classic 1930's serial. It's a show that doesn't take itself too seriously, and that is the key to this latest addition to the ranks of 'comic books come to life'.

Twenty-something Steve "Flash" Gordon (Eric Johnson) lives at home with his mother, repairs classic cars in the garage with his best friend and he wins marathon races for fun. He's living the simple life and all is well until his newly engaged ex-girlfriend, Dale (Gina Holden) takes a job as a local TV reporter and aliens land. From where Flash is standing, dealing with the aliens may be simpler than dealing with Dale.

Turns out that Flash's father, a physicist, may not have died in a lab fire all those years ago. According to his assistant, Dr. Zarkov (Jody Racicot), Dr. Gordon was pulled through a rift in the universe and now aliens are using that rift as doorway to earth. One of those aliens, a cyberman from the planet Mongo, arrives looking for the "Imex" which belonged to Flash's father, but Flash has no clue what or where it is. Tough luck for our young hero, as Ming the Merciless of Mongo isn't going to rest until finds the "Imex" or destroys everyone on Earth, or maybe both.

Looks like it's up to Flash, Dale and Dr. Zarkov to save the universe, but lucky for them they can do it in a nice pair of jeans instead of too tight tights!

**snippage**

Check out Flash Gordon on the SCI FI Channel starting August 10th at 9:00.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SciFi Wire - Flash Gordon - Sam J. Jones to guest star:

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php

Sam J. Jones, star of the 1980 Flash Gordon movie, will guest star in an upcoming episode of SCI FI Channle's original series Flash Gordon, playing a character named Krebb in "Revelations," which is set to air in October. The series debuts Aug. 10 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

<><><><><><>

Sam J. Jones also appeared in SG1's third season episode, "Deadman Switch," as Aris Boch.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I'm happy to see that they are following in the footsteps of Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century. That's when Buster Crabbe, ( who also played in 1930's as
                Flash Gordon) appeared with Gil Gerard. It was passing of the torch literally.

Glad to see it happening here.

Thanks Morjana

Comment

Trippy, but it can't be any worse than Tremors or Codename: Eternity. Or the lame-o SciFi Saturday night movies. Or the first two seasons of BSG. Or the last two seasons of Star Trek Ent... I'll stop right there. That last one hurts.
                  sigpic

Comment

The idea of Flash Gordon without the Queen theme makes me very very sad indeed.
                    I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Originally posted by BerrySciFi View Post
                      Trippy, but it can't be any worse than Tremors or Codename: Eternity. Or the lame-o SciFi Saturday night movies. Or the first two seasons of BSG. Or the last two seasons of Star Trek Ent... I'll stop right there. That last one hurts.
                      The Tremors show was good, wasn't needed but it was still good. At least they had the main people back in it.

Flash Freakin' Gordon will freakin' fail faster than a flash.

Comment

Starburst Magazine #353 - Flash Gordon & More:

From Visimag:

http://www.visimag.com/acatalog/VI_D..._249.html#a353

Starburst #353, August 2007
                        (Reference #353)
                        Scheduled publication date August 1 2007

132 pages of Sci-Fi Entertainment!

The Starburst Interviews…

Torchwood executive producer Julie Gardner to discuss the forthcoming second season featuring Buffy star James Marsters! Plus, news on The Sarah Jane Adventures

Doctor Who (2000s) Actress Freema Agyeman on returning as Martha Jones in Torchwood and then back in Doctor Who

Heroes

• Actor Greg Grunberg on playing the thought-reading cop Matt Parkman
                        • Actor Masi Oka on his role as the unlikely teleporting superhero Hiro

Flash Gordon New Series! Star Eric Johnson chats about his new role as the latest incarnation of Flash

Battlestar Galactica (2000s) Set Visit! We go behind the scenes for the filming of the fourth and final season!

Journeyman We find out all there is to know from the cast and crew at the launch of this new Time travel show

Bionic Woman Star Michelle Ryan and producer David Eick take us inside this new 21st Century bionic world

The Sci-Fi Lover’s Guide to YouTube We take a personal journey through the Sci-Fi treasures available on the increasingly popular website YouTube

Who Wants to be a Superhero Stan Lee reveals what to expect from the forthcoming second season of the US ‘talent’ show!

Lost Star Terry O’Quinn take time out to talk about his role as the mysterious John Locke

1408 Star Samuel L Jackson and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura on the new Horror movie

The Starburst Vaults Reappraising genre classics – This issue: Tim Burton’s Batman

Including...

Our regular detailed look at all the new Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels, film and TV releases both new and old on DVD, and we check out the best new collectables…

Picture Desk A 'sneak peek' at the hottest publicity stills! – This issue: Doctor Who (2000s) and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

A look at new cinema releases 1408, Death Proof, Disturbia and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

The latest and up-to-date TV Reviews covering The 4400, The Dead Zone, Doctor Who (2000s) & Animated, Jekyll and Painkiller Jane

Book Reviews The Atrocity Archives, The Dreaming Void, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Heart of the Mirage, Hilldiggers, Saturn Returns

Comics Battlestar Galactica #11, ST:TNG – The Space Between #6,

Supernatural: Origins #3

Multimedia, DVDs, Soundtracks & Collectables

Sci-Fi Calendar All the latest release dates covering TV, movies, books and DVDs

Trailer Park We take a sideways look at the trailer for The Water Horse

Opinion Our regular columnist gives his thoughts on the worlds of Sci-Fi

In Numbers Get figure happy with Starburst’s numbers-related column! This issue: Stargate SG-1

Go to Web edition

http://www.visimag.com/starburst/353_display.htm

Price: $7.99

<><><><><><>

Feature: Torchwood

http://www.visimag.com/starburst/353_feat01.htm

(Please follow the link for the complete excerpt at Visimag.)

Feature: Torchwood

Gardner's World

Starburst recently caught up with executive producer Julie Gardner to discuss the forthcoming second season

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

OT: TV Guide Online: Review of "Flash Gordon":

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/roush-review

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

ROUSH REVIEW

Matt Roush

There's something refreshing, up to a point, about an action hero as unburdened by existential torment as the new but not-quite-improved Flash Gordon. "Just keep smiling," says wholesome everyguy Flash (Smallville's Eric Johnson) after he's been taken captive with ex-girlfriend Dale Arden (Gina Holden) on an alien planet at the other end of a dimensional rift.

This contemporary remake is cheerfully B-movie cheesy — watch an alien attack a bowling alley — but also stubbornly flat, settling for cute when sublime camp would be preferred. The drabness extends to supposedly merciless dictator Ming of Mongo (John Ralston), whom Flash encounters on his quest to learn what happened to his presumed-dead scientist father. This Ming is about as exotic and menacing as a country-club despot. What this Flash sorely needs is a little panache.

Flash Gordon airs Fridays, 9 pm/ET, on Sci fi Channel [beginning Aug. 10th)

Related link:

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/flash-gordon/289476

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

the TV addict: Talkback: Flash Gordon:

From the TV addcit:

http://thetvaddict.com/2007/08/02/tv...-flash-gordon/

Couch Tater: When it comes to the Sci Fi channel, I’m willing to cut them a whole lotta slack. After all, they’ve given me hours upon hours of excellent programming in the form of FARSCAPE, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and EUREKA. And their cheestacular original movies are a major guilty pleasure. But when it comes to the network’s latest offering, FLASH GORDON, I’m afraid they’re eating up a whole lot of my good will toward them. There’s so much wrong with this show that it’s hard to know where to begin, but I’ll start with leading man Eric Johnson. In a way, he’s symbolic of everything those involved with the show did wrong. After all, Johnson was perhaps the most lackluster regular during the early days of SMALLVILLE, where he played Lana-lovin’ footballer Whitney Fordman. Here, Johnson heads up a show that could have been the next SMALLVILLE, but instead plays more like a bad episode of BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25th CENTURY.

theTVaddict: Talk about harsh, Couch Tater! Have the endless summer reruns finally taken their toll? FLASH GORDON is mindless summer fun, and frankly a welcome diversion from the endless horror that is reality TV. That said, if the first episode of FLASH is any indication, the show really needs to find its voice. Is FLASH GORDON going to be a gritty and realistic re-imagination (similar to that of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA)? Or is it taking the same route as the corn-ball cheesefest 80’s movie some of us have come to know and love? I think with a show like this, we really need to give it a few episodes to see where it’s going. Because as of episode one, I’m not exactly seeing how this isn’t simply another STARGATE/SLIDERS/QUANTUM LEAP incarnation.

Couch Tater: I think you’ve nailed it on the head with the STARGATE analogy, and that right there could be the problem. I’m definitely not a fan of that particular sub-genre of sci fi. I much prefer my space operas to be less campy. Like STARGATE, this incarnation of FLASH features a plethora of familiar-sounding, quasi-scientific words (there’s lots of talk of “rifts” opening and closing), all being spouted by characters right out of Central Casting. We’ve got the vaguely attractive hero (Johnson), the wacky scientist (Jody Racicot’s Zarkov) and a beavy of beauties in a variety of rolls, all of whom are pretty much indistinguisable. If our heroine, Gina Holden’s Dale Arden, was put in a line-up with the various women from the planet Mongo, I can’t say I’d be able to pick her out. Assuming, of course, they were all wearing those cool slave girl costumes the Mongo chicks don. Speaking of our time spend on Mongo, one major problem is with villain Ming. Those of us dug Max von Sydow’s take in the 80’s big screen feature may be surprised to find that here, Ming is more misquetoast than merciless. And that, my friends, is a major problem.

theTVaddict: While I don’t agree with your assessment of star Eric Johnson (I actually think he does a good job playing Flash), I do agree that Ming needs some serious work. Perhaps it’s just me, but when I hear the name Ming, my mind turns to an evil, terrifying dictator. John Ralston’s take comes across as sort of a B-list Bond baddie. (You know, the kind who dies thirty minutes into the movie to make way for the real evil mastermind). If FLASH GORDON really wants to find a place on my TiVo Season’s Pass list, it’s going to have to really kick it up a notch in the bad guy department. Or risk being cancelled in, well… a flash.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Zap2It: Friday, August 10 - Best Bets - Flash Gordon/Dr. Who:

From Zap2It:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,584|||20070810%5FDATETIME%3A3364183268,00.html

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

TV Best Bets for Friday, August 10

*All Times Eastern

Flash Gordon

9:00 PM - SCI FI

Sorry, no music by Queen in this version, but the special effects are way cooler. Based on the classic sci-fi comic strip, this new series stars Eric Johnson ("Smallville") as the titular hero trying to save Earth from the evil schemes of Ming the Merciless. Gina Holden and Jody Racicot play Flash's faithful sidekicks, Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov.

Doctor Who

8:00 PM - SCI FI

Messing around with time is dangerous -- it even backfires when a Time Lord tries it. In the new episode "The Lazarus Experiment," an aging professor (guest star Mark Gatiss) turns back the hands of time via a machine that makes people young. Of course, his DNA gets messed up in the process, and now he's a people-eating scorpion hybrid. Meanwhile, Martha's (Freema Agyeman) mom receives disturbing information about the Doctor (David Tennant).

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Flash Gordon - Zap2It: Podcast Review:

From Zap2It:

http://brillandericwatchtv.com/blog/?p=33

Brill and Eric Watch TV 223

posted by Brill on 08.05.07 @ 10:11 pm

Podcasts

We review the new “Flash Gordon” series and run down our summer viewing list, including the Glenn Close/Ted Danson thriller “Damages” and Alton Brown’s “Feasting on Asphalt.”

Eric gives a brief lesson in comics’ early days and explains how the Sci Fi re-imagining of “Flash Gordon” (starring Eric Johnson, photo, left) deviates wildly from both the 1930s version of the character and the campy ’80s movie with the Queen soundtrack.

Plus, we have recent casting and other developments for some of the new shows, including FOX’s “New Amsterdam” and “K-Ville,” CBS’ troubled vampire drama “Moonlight,” NBC’s “Bionic Woman,” and ABC’s “Miss/Guided” and “Dirty Sexy Money.”

Brill and Eric Watch TV 223 [21:47m]: Play in Popup [at the site]

Download

http://www.brillandericwatchtv.com/b...WatchTV223.mp3

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X