• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Slice of SciFi:

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/

FLASH!!!

Posted: 05 Aug 2007 09:53 AM CDT

The all new “Flash Gordon” series will premiere this Friday August 10 on the SCI FI Channel’s popular SciFi Friday lineup.

It will move alongside “Doctor Who” and “Painkiller Jane” and can be seen at 10/9C.

In this premiere episode there is only one man who can save us all from the sinister plans of Ming the Merciless, and that man is Flash!

You won’t want to miss this 90-minute debut of one of scifi’s longest running and greatest heroes.

Also be looking for Slice of SciFi’s exclusive interview with “Flash Gordon” star Karen Cliche. SoSF reporter Linda Craddock sat down with Karen for this exciting chat about the new series. We will have it for you only on our Slice of SciFi Website on Tuesday, August 7, 2007.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From Eclipse Magazine:

http://www.eclipsemagazine.com/flash...o_journey_mich

(Please follow the link for the complete article. There are photos at the site.)

Flash Gordon Mania Starts Today With a Photo Journey from Michelle's Recent Set Visit!!

Submitted by Michelle Alexandria on Mon, 2007-08-06 03:17

It's a big week for Flash Gordon fans. The Sci-Fi channel's long awaited debut of the brand new Gordon hits the small screen this Friday at 9pm EST. But before we get to this blessed event, you have to stick with EM's five days of Flash! We have an exclusive interview with one of the stars of the show, video Q and A with the Cast and Crew from my recent set visit. A Look at the brand new Flash Gordon Remastered DVD and more surprises. We're going to start off the week with a look at the Flash Gordon Set. Last month I was in Canada visiting the set and had a chance to partake in an extensive Q and A with the cast. We took lots of photos, here's a sneak peak at the sets and cast from Sci-Fi's recent Digital Press tour. Flash, ahaaaaa!!!!

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Poor Doctor Who. First the show was tied to Painkiller Jane in early summer, now its stuck as a lead in to this mess.

SciFi seems hell bent to kill itself these days.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Two interviews with Karen Cliche from Flash Gordon:

From the TV addict:

http://thetvaddict.com/2007/08/07/th...-karen-cliche/

and

From Slice of SciFi:

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/08/...che/?fromrss=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

This show actualy looks like it could be good. I mean come on, it has to be better then PainKiller Jain. I will hold judgement untill I have actualy seen the first episode.

Comment

Review from UGO:

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/...48&sectionId=2

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

TV Review

Flash Gordon
              FLASH GORDON RATINGS

Direction: C
              Writing: C
              Performance: B-
              Visual Appeal : C
              Overall: C

FLASH GORDON VITALS
              Original Air Date: Friday August 10, 2007 - 9/8C
              Channel: SCI-FI
              Cast: Eric Johnson, Gina Holden, Jody Racicot, Karen Cliche, Anna Van Hooft, and John Ralston

Flash Gordon TV Review

By Troy Rogers

"After all, killing a robot in Flash's kitchen with a blender is cool, but the series needs a bit more BSG to satisfy the hardcore fans."

We all know that comic book heroes are big business. Just ask the studios responsible for the resurgence of Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men. With so many hot properties out there on the market, it was only a matter of time before the Sci-Fi Channel made their own leap into the paneled world of spandex and capes. The latest comic property to get a modern upgrade is none other than Flash Gordon, which airs this Friday night on Sci-Fi. Before we get too far into the review, I have to let you know that we've only seen a rough cut of the 90-minute pilot, sans the cool FX. At this point, it's hard to say how the final visuals will turn out, but we're confident Sci-Fi is up to the task of perfecting the modern day Flash Gordon for a new generation.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Seems to be getting an absolute mauling from the critics: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33634

Beware of some very minor spoilers in that link.

My favourite quotes from reviews have to be
                is the kind of fantasy toss-off that gives sci-fi, and Sci Fi, a bad name
                I wish I could have been in the pitch meeting for Sci Fi's latest reincarnation of "Flash Gordon." It must have been an out of this world experience
                and
                It's hard to see how a show could take such a perennial fave and go this completely wrong
                Doesn't sound good at all. I'll probably still give the pilot a watch though to see for myself.
                I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Mark my words, this show is going to go down in flames. This series has no chance, and factor in it is on the SciFi channel makes it a certainty. The only, and I mean ONLY, way this show could make it is if they came up with something extremely clever, and from what I have seen so far this is just yet another typical lame attempt by the SciFi channel to get original series on the air. Factor in that the cast is a collection of uninteresting to just downright boring and you have a recipe for cancellation. I can almost guarantee that by the 6-7th episode ratings will have dropped significantly.

Is it just me, or do all shows SciFi touch end in disaster?

Comment

I think BSG is the only reccent real success story, though not so much in terms of US ratings. Atlantis too hasn't crashed and burned (yet?).

Sci-fi just need better writers and stop blowing their budget or crappy tv movies and even crappier tv shows (I'm looking at you Painkiller Jane!)
                    I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Most things that the "critics" hate are usualy some of the best things to watch. Most of them are just a bunch of blow hards. I plan to go into this with an open mind and at least give it a fair chance.

Comment

From Animation Magazine:

Flash Gordon Blasts Off on SCI FI

http://www.animationmagazine.net/article/7215

Friday, August 10, 2007

By: Ryan Ball

The leotards and filament-suspended spaceships may be gone, but intergalactic comic-book hero Flash Gordon is back in a new series premiering tonight (Aug. 10) at 9/8 Central on SCI FI Channel. The show promises to deliver an updated version of the pop-culture staple for a new generation, while holding onto the sense of fun and adventure that made the early serials so enjoyable.

Created by Alex Raymond, the Flash Gordon comics debuted in 1934 to provide some competition for the popular Buck Rogers series. Flash soon made his way to movie theaters in a string of serials and later got his own live-action television series in the 1960s. The New Animated Adventures of Flash Gordon hit the airwaves in 1979, followed shortly by the corny but enjoyable 1980 feature film starring Sam Jones as Flash and Max von Sydow as Emperor Ming.

The new series from RHI Ent. stars Smallville’s Eric Johnson as an athlete who discovers a portal to another world while investigating his father’s disappearance. Along with Dale Arden (Gina Holden), Flash travels to the planet Mongo and attempts to foil the evil plans of Ming (John Ralston), who comes off as more of a misguided genius than an evil dictator in this incarnation.

Most of the digital visual effects work for the show went into building Mongo’s capital city, an Oz-like metropolis built with Autodesk Maya and e-on software’s Vue, and composited in Adobe After Effects and Combustion. Vfx supervisor Bruce Turner (Stargate SG1) tells us we can look forward to some character animation as we meet a tribe of flying people known as the Dactyl in episode five. Read more about the vfx and the show itself as we get the inside scoop from Turner and exec producer Peter Hume in the latest issue of Animation Magazine.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Well I just watched the first episode and found it pretty entertaining. It was not the best thing I have ever watched but I think it has alot of potential. It was certainly not the worst thing I have ever seen "cough" Painkiller Jane "cough". I think once the actors get comfortable with their characters it could be pretty good.

Comment

No. It is not as bad as PKJ! They are going have to get really,really comfortable
                            in their roles though..
                            1-800-Iluv-JandT
                            sig by Sci!

Toll Free..Available 24 HRS...Remember..It can never be too much..

Comment

Not as bad as I initially thought it was. It's definitely better than most new shows on SciFi right now. It still needs some work, but definitely has potential.
                              Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                              Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                              Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                              --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Pilot was so so, it's not anything close to Stargate, Farscape, BSG, or Eureka. The show needs to get better, Pilot was not impressive.Characters just seemed bland and had no passion or feeling to them. Oh well, will still watch the next few eps to make a final decision.

BTW, I don't think anything can be worse than PKJ. Well maybe Mansquito, but I think they come in a tie. LOL!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X