No announcement yet.

X-Files Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon are projecting a 13th June 2016 release date for Season 10 of The X-Files. That might be only the UK release date though so it could possible be a month earlier for the US.

Looking forward to owning it and revisiting these episodes without bloody adverts getting in the way and spoiling the mood.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      Amazon are projecting a 13th June 2016 release date for Season 10 of The X-Files. That might be only the UK release date though so it could possible be a month earlier for the US.

Looking forward to owning it and revisiting these episodes without bloody adverts getting in the way and spoiling the mood.
      Still no official word on a release date here in the States, so I'm just going to assume that June 13th will be our release date as well.

I hope this set has some great extras. The "X-Files: Re-Opened" feature is a given, but I'd also like some commentary tracks and expanded versions of the episodes. One of the most common complaints about the revival is that nearly all of the episodes felt compressed or too rushed in places, particularly the "My Struggle" bookends. Expanded editions for each episode would give the stories more room to breathe while easing up the pace a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
        Still no official word on a release date here in the States, so I'm just going to assume that June 13th will be our release date as well.

I hope this set has some great extras. The "X-Files: Re-Opened" feature is a given, but I'd also like some commentary tracks and expanded versions of the episodes. One of the most common complaints about the revival is that nearly all of the episodes felt compressed or too rushed in places, particularly the "My Struggle" bookends. Expanded editions for each episode would give the stories more room to breathe while easing up the pace a little.
        I can't see there being expanded episodes. But what I have heard is that David and Gillan have done commentary but I don't know for how many episodes. Gillian has recently said she is excited for everyone to see the gag reel for S10 which presumably will be included on the set.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

If anyone is interested, I wrote a review on the series for the 'I'm With Geek' website:

http://www.imwithgeek.co.uk/tvteam/l...les-season-10/

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Are we certain that S10 is THE END, or are more episodes a (likely) possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
              Are we certain that S10 is THE END, or are more episodes a (likely) possibility?
              There's discussion about the possibility of an S11... most participants are enthusiastic, Anderson is less so though.

It will depend on scheduling, costs, and network response.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                There's discussion about the possibility of an S11... most participants are enthusiastic, Anderson is less so though.

Where did you hear this?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  Where did you hear this?
                  A variety of news sources;

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...e-new-episodes

That one sums it up nicely though!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    I can't see there being expanded episodes. But what I have heard is that David and Gillan have done commentary but I don't know for how many episodes. Gillian has recently said she is excited for everyone to see the gag reel for S10 which presumably will be included on the set.
                    I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that the commentary is for E3, "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster". I could be wrong because I have no source, but I swear I read that somewhere a while ago..

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

Yeah I've heard that about Anderson as well, but I heard the major issue is just scheduling since DD and GA are busy with other projects.
                    sigpic
                    [call me loser.]

Comment

The DVD/Blu-Ray set for Season 10 will be available June 14 here in the States.

From the official press release:

The X-Files - The Event Series Blu-ray & DVD Special Features:

Deleted & Extended Scenes
                      Gag Reel
                      The Makings of a Struggle
                      Season X: An In-Depth Behind-the-Scenes Look at The Event Series
                      Monsters of the Week: A Recap from the Wildest and Scariest from the Original Series
                      The X-Files - Green Production PSA
                      Short Film - Grace by Karen Nielsen
                      Commentary on "Founder's Mutation" with Chris Carter and James Wong
                      Commentary on "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster" with David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Kumail Nanjiani and Darin Morgan
                      Commentary on "My Struggle II" with Chris Carter and Gabe Rotter
                      Three commentary tracks -- awesome!

Interested to see that short film included.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Lorne!! I'm super stoked to go through all these special features. Especially the commentary. I'd also be interested to see the deleted/extended scenes. See how much didn't make the final cut of some of these episodes.
                        sigpic
                        [call me loser.]

Comment

Originally posted by losernerdfriend View Post
                          Thanks for sharing Lorne!! I'm super stoked to go through all these special features. Especially the commentary. I'd also be interested to see the deleted/extended scenes. See how much didn't make the final cut of some of these episodes.
                          I was hoping the deleted scenes would've been incorporated into the episodes, but I'm just glad we'll be able to see them.

Comment

They might make an option to incorporate them.. you never know..

But yeah, I'd be interested in seeing both versions to see where things were taken out. Especially on "My Struggle II". I feel like they did a lot of cutting in that ep just because of how quickly the story was progressing. I felt like we were missing a lot of steps in between. >.<
                            sigpic
                            [call me loser.]

Comment

David Duchovny And Gillian Anderson Will Not Be Replaced On The X-Files Says Chris Carter
                              by Shawn Rice May 9, 2016

http://www.business2community.com/en...P54mYrrCut3.97

The recent run of X-Files episodes was considered a mild success with some episodes invoking the highlights of past ones and others being received okay. The series ended with a big cliffhanger which leads to the question, will the show come back to Fox for more?

An almost direct continuation of the Jan. 24 opener, “My Struggle II” revisited the series’ developing mythology and quickly careened toward a bigger cliffhanger than many likely expected. Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson), who barely shared a frame in the hour-long episode, were tasked with stopping a Syndicate-sponsored pandemic. It looked like they were going to be successful until a rather conspicuous UFO appeared over a panicked Washington, D.C., engulfing the pair in a bright light before the episode cut to black. It made the opening titles tagline “This is the end” that much more confusing.

The show’s creator, Chris Carter, spoke to IGN about the tonal evolution of his classic show, its legacy, and of course, his plans moving forward.

On replacing Mulder and Scully:

“You know, Fox came to me and said “have you ever thought of doing episodes without Mulder and Scully?” and I said “well, that’s an interesting idea, I’d never considered that”. And I don’t think I would ever consider it, to be honest. But in saying that, I thought it would be interesting for Mulder and Scully to kind of look in the mirror at themselves and see their younger selves reflected back, and how that might infuse the storytelling with another layer. And I was very happy to have cast Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose, who were perfect for the parts. I would love to see them come back even though we don’t have any kind of hold on them.”

On bringing X-Files back:

“There are a couple of things at work here. We’re in – let’s call it an ‘era’ – of reboots right now, so I think that there was a kind of trend being followed. And when I got the call it was simply an opportunity to do good work with people who were capable of doing good work. But it’s also a fantastic time to be telling X-Files stories. When we went off the air in 2002 the last thing people wanted to know was about government conspiracies, we were living in a time when we were looking to the government to protect us. But that’s changed now. We live in a time when institutions authority, government and global powers are being held to account and are under suspicion.”

On the success of the X-Files:

“I’ve always said the the secret to our success is David and Gillian. It’s Mulder and Scully. It’s that relationship. It’s also that we have a very strong female character in Scully, and a very respectful and protective character in Mulder. And I think those things resonate. As storytellers we’ve always tried to push the limits and never say die. All we’ve tried to do the best work that we can.”

In one of the longest-running science fiction series in network TV history, FBI special agents investigate unexplained, mind-bending cases known as “X-Files.” Though the government is convinced that the outlandish reports are false, conspiracy theorist Fox Mulder and realist Dana Scully, for most of the series, stop at nothing to prove that “the truth is out there.” Series creator Chris Carter also serves as executive producer of the thrilling pop-culture phenomenon.

The X-Files Event Series hits Blu-ray and DVD on May 25.

Comment

8 May 2016
                                Chris Carter on Future X-Files: "I Can't Imagine There Wouldn't Be More"
                                Carter talks the past, present and future of his iconic show.
                                By Lucy O'Brien

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/05/0...ouldnt-be-more

Spoilers for X-Files Season 10 ahead.

Although last season ended big cliffhanger, X-Files fans are currently in the dark regarding the roll-out of future episodes. What's going to happen to Mulder and Scully? Is humanity doomed? Are there probes on that UFO? IGN recently had the opportunity to chat Carter about the tonal evolution of his classic show, its legacy, and of course, his plans moving forward.

IGN: I'll start with the most obvious question first. Are there going to be more episodes?

Fox wants to do more. The ratings were good so there’s an appetite for more, I’m very pleased with the work that we did so I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be more.

By all accounts Gillian and David are very keen to do more as well.

That’s what I’m hearing from them directly and from their representatives.

I’d love to know more behind your decision-making behind playing around with tone in the last season. The third episode with Rhys Darby is such a hilarious outlier from the rest.

There are a couple of things at work. As the show went on through the years, after the success of Darin Morgan’s original comedy episodes, there were episodes that were sometimes light, or sometimes crazy and slapstick. And it became part of the recipe of the show. In season 10, we had Darin Morgan coming back, so we had the master of that part of our repertoire. With him coming back...we could take a breather between scary episodes, between thriller episodes and mythology episodes.

It must be satisfying for you as a creator to be able to play around so much.

I think light and dark has become a hallmark of the show. The show became different over the time. I think if we’d done it as a straight genre show, people would have been less happy than they were with this leavening of the mix.

Tell me about the decision-making behind introducing Agents Miller and Einstein.

You know, Fox came to me and said “have you ever thought of doing episodes without Mulder and Scully?” and I said “well, that’s an interesting idea, I’d never considered that". And I don’t think I would ever consider it, to be honest. But in saying that, I thought it would be interesting for Mulder and Scully to kind of look in the mirror at themselves and see their younger selves reflected back, and how that might infuse the storytelling with another layer. And I was very happy to have cast Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose, who were perfect for the parts. I would love to see them come back even though we don’t have any kind of hold on them.

Do you prefer helming the overarching story episodes or is directing the monster-of-the-week episodes as much fun as it seems?

I have to say I’ve got no preference. I love that the show can be so many different things. I love when it’s scary, and when it’s tongue-in-cheek. I love the mythology episodes because they’re very personal stories for the characters. I love the genre and I love taking new chances and reinventing things. I always love tackling fresh new material and trying to be as original as possible.

If you are moving forward with another season, where would you like to take The X-Files next?

I think you would see a mix not dissimilar to what you got in this last one. I’d like to get Darin back to do another episode. There are other people out there. There are many ways to skin this cat and I look forward to seeing who I can entice back to the X-Files world.

Why was 2016 the right time to bring X-Files back?

There are a couple of things at work here. We’re in - let’s call it an ‘era’ - of reboots right now, so I think that there was a kind of trend being followed. And when I got the call it was simply an opportunity to do good work with people who were capable of doing good work. But it’s also a fantastic time to be telling X-Files stories. When we went off the air in 2002 the last thing people wanted to know was about government conspiracies, we were living in a time when we were looking to the government to protect us. But that’s changed now. We live in a time when institutions authority, government and global powers are being held to account and are under suspicion.

Why do you think X-Files has lasted? Why are people still hungry for it so many years later?

I’ve always said the the secret to our success is David and Gillian. It’s Mulder and Scully. It’s that relationship. It’s also that we have a very strong female character in Scully, and a very respectful and protective character in Mulder. And I think those things resonate. As storytellers we’ve always tried to push the limits and never say die. All we’ve tried to do the best work that we can.

The X-Files Event Series hits Blu-ray and DVD on May 25.

Comment

Working...
                                X