No announcement yet.

Jericho Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm still vaguely interested in the show... there a few mysteries that I'd like to follow up on which is probably why I'm persevering for the moment.

The biggest problem at the moment I think is the characters. Not particularly well-written. No one really grabs except maybe Hawkins (the obligatory mystery man). So far they're pretty formulaic... bland, non-entities.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

That's true. Most of the characters are uninteresting or unlikeable. Superskeet's not bad and Hawkins is definitely interesting. But Supersekeet's brother, his wife, his girlfriend, the store owner, and the snooty teenagers are all dull as dirt.
      I'm still watching though because I think I have hope that the story will progress and the show will be more than an irradiated Everwood.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I'm actually really enjoying the story in Jericho. My only problem is, as others have said, with the characters. Aside from the main guy (Jake, is it?) I don't even remember any of their names. And I certainly don't have a favourite character yet. But I think this is because so far it's been driven by the story. I reckon after a few episodes they'll start doing character-centric stories once the whole ''OMG A BOMB!'' thing calms down.

Comment

Originally posted by silence
          wrong... EMP pulse that would fry electronics would happen if nuke detonates in atmosphere, not on ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMP_Pulse

and i'll check it. sounds it might be interesting...
          Actually, an air burst would not generate a significant EMP either. It would have to take place in the upper atmosphere (several hundred thousand feet) for that to be a significant problem.

Comment

The show is pretty good so far. In my opinion, as the show stands now, it is likely intended to run for a single season. I just can't see that there is enough to carry it further than that. However, I'm not opposed to a shift in gears to spice things up - some kind of military involvement in the story, be it friend or foe, would add a ton of new and interesting scenarios.

I was pretty disapointed that the prison van turned out to just have those two guys in it. I was hoping for some kind of recurring killer on the loose sub-plot when I first saw the crashed van, ah well.

For the kid (Dale or something right??) to find the train by foot it can't have been far. It strikes me as odd that nobody had noticed it or even gone to look for anything along the tracks within the immediate area of Jericho.

I dislike most of the characters so far accept for Jake (that's the right name isn't it?) and the cop (erm... Hawkins?), mostly because between then they seem to do just about everything worth doing. Everyone else is just helpless or plain stupid. The blonde is really annoying me, not sure why. I think it's because I can't quite tell if she's meant to be a likable character or a *****, not very well defined.

Ok, so that's a list of faults I see, but I think the show has more good points than bad. It's actually very entertaining (at least I think so), and I look forward to the next episode and those that follow.

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I think barkeep girl is the same actress who played O'Neill's girlfriend in a couple episodes.

I hate it when someone looks familiar and you can't place them.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
                Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I think barkeep girl is the same actress who played O'Neill's girlfriend in a couple episodes.

I hate it when someone looks familiar and you can't place them.
                You are right. She played Ms. Johnson in season 8, episode 18 'Threads'.
                Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

The wife and I are both really enjoying the show thus far. I had the same thought after the painfully long previously on Jericho last week that soon we'll be spending the first half of the show in recap. A way to save on costs I guess.

Anyone have any guess as to what might have been in that barrel the black guy hid in that wall?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    The show is starting to annoy me with its superheroism and misinformation.
                    The misinformation has been annoying me as well.

Spoiler:
                    When they were using a steel tank to transport gas they were worried about static build up, but all of they're information was wrong. There are so many ways to helps prevent it and it the problem isn't specific to only steel. that and gasoline is very picky on the fuel/air ratio required for it to ignite so the chances of causing a giant fireball from a spark when opening the cap were very slim. That whole sequence was BS.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD View Post
                      The misinformation has been annoying me as well.

Spoiler:
                      When they were using a steel tank to transport gas they were worried about static build up, but all of they're information was wrong. There are so many ways to helps prevent it and it the problem isn't specific to only steel. that and gasoline is very picky on the fuel/air ratio required for it to ignite so the chances of causing a giant fireball from a spark when opening the cap were very slim. That whole sequence was BS.
                      Spoiler:
                      I agree, I was laughing through that sequence, reminds me of the time I was on my cell phone talking to my mom while getting gas and after informing her I was getting gas, she's like OMG hang up, you could blow up!

Anyway, show isn't too bad, I think it is still finding its feet, seems to be doing pretty well so far in the ratings. I find a few things unbelievable, like everyone seems to have a generator. Like that teenage twit that was having the party, cops show up and say, got a report you're wasting gas, that was lame. Why is everyone standing around in the bar drinking? Wouldn't they send out more scouting parties? Have people doing things other than drinking? What happens when they run out of booze? I think the writers shot themselves in the foot when they made Jericho a town of 5000, would have been better if it was under 1000, just to make it have a smaller feel to it.

Hawkins interests me. I think he is part of the group that set the bombs off in the first place. Seems Jericho is the rally point for all of them.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

Last night's ep
                        Spoiler:
                        What if Hawkins was on the inside and he’s now like under witness protection or something. I know they were practicing their cover story. I would say he might just be in the witness protection program and have nothing to do with what’s happening, but then why does he seem so prepared for this??? M-16s, radiation suits, etc, etc. Too much of a coincidence, imo.

Then again maybe the writers are trying to make it seem too obvious and he turns out not to have anything to do with it, but then again I don’t think the writers are that bright. Some of the plots and several of the characters are just down right stupid and annoying. Like the whole thing with the static electricity and the gasoline last night. Or those idiots at the bar running a generator in broad daylight and having the lights, etc. on. Or SuperSkeet being the only one to think of siphoning gas out of the tanks at the gas station while that dumb brother of his wants to go around and try to get people to give him some from their vehicles.

And then everyone going crazy because the generators were about to go out at the clinic. With a town of 5,000, I can see them having a small hospital/medical clinic, but what I can’t see is them still caring for patients that are in serious health (like the baby on the vent. Now maybe she just had the baby like the day of the blast. I can’t remember, but if not that kid wouldn’t have still been there.). These people would have been transported to a larger hospital in larger cities that have more specialized care. And besides if the ventilators stop working (I thought they had battery backups but whatever), the patients can be vented with ambu bags (like what they eventually used on the baby). Yeah somebody has got to stand there and continually squeeze the bag, but it wasn’t like everyone was going to die as soon as the generators stopped.

I’ll continue to watch because I want to see how the overall story plays out, but all these little side stories are a pain to have to wade through.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

I agree with your entire post LS.

However, I could see where the clinic might have a few critical cases there when there was nothing to fear. Had an emergency come up, it would probably have been nothing to transfer the most critical to another full fledged hospital.

I was a little irritated with last nights episode for many of the same reasons listed in your post. However, I think I was especially put off because it seems that we are only getting "new" info in the last 5 minutes of the episode. I'm still tuning in because I want to know what, when, where and how this all happen. I feel like this is a format where you can miss an entire month and come back without really having missed much as far as new info goes.

I am however, at least starting to recognize the characters a bit more. I just wish there was more forward push with the story. I feel like this episode could have easily been titled Gas Crisis and the generators as that seemed Plot A, with radition poison man as Plot B with Hawkins Plot B.5

Comment

I think my relationship with this show is on its last legs. The only redeeming character is superskeet. It's entirely possible I don't know enough people but most of whom I know aren't as selfish or dumb as the people of Jericho....ok maybe as dumb.

What I don't understand is this. Does being deaf also make you an idiot? Why does everyone treat that deaf girl as if she's also a mentally retarded and delicate 5 year old??

They seem to be dealing far too well with the realization that the world as they knew it is over? Where are the religious people muttering about the apocalypse and the return of the good lord? Why is no one cursing the president and the government for not checking on them yet? They overreacted in the beginning when it wasn't called for and now that it is...

I really hate that uplifting narration at the end of each episode. Honestly, some of the country's biggest cities just went bye bye...pessimism would be a rational response. Save the touchy feely crap for a show where only one city blew up.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I can't stand SuperSkeet. I'm watching because the Enigma That is Hawkins gnaws at me. However, the rest of the show makes me feel as if my internal organs are liquefying (particularly my brain) so I doubt I'll be able to stick with it much longer. I'll just read the TWOP board instead. It's a heckuva lot more fun than the show itself.

As for Bonnie- dontcha know? deaf and DUMB go together. Duh. You can't be deaf and intelligent. I mean, come on, you can't HEAR anything so how could you possibly learn about the big bad world? Or something stupid like that. The treatment of Bonnie is only one of the many things that annoys the snot out of me. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to find ANYTHING on this show that didn't annoy the snot out of me.

*frowns*

Tell me again why I'm watching this? They don't even have any frakkin' zombies!

Comment

I think the show's targetting an audience that's not us... apparently...
                                It is rather light on the nitty gritty... and character development is either piecemeal or non-existent. It's hard to see where this show is going and what kind of audience they're trying to capture. I want to know what makes some of these people tick. Why is Jake running around playing Superman, for instance. I'm tired of Lost's use of flashbacks but I think this show needs some of that. So far the characters are just types playing specific roles but I don't feel anything for any of them except perhaps for young Dale.

I don't mind a little sentimentalizing now and again but in this case, it does seem to disrupt the show's natural pacing.

I am still intrigued with Hawkins though...
                                Spoiler:
                                Was he a government agent? An alien in disguise?
                                sigpic
                                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                                X