Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it say something about the show that the only name anyone remembers with any consistency is Nimrod?

I'm starting to wonder if the statement "It's never too late to get started on a great series" was meant to imply you should go ahead and stop watching Surface and watch something else.
    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Nimrod and "Frodo" are all I can remember. And I keep wanting to call the scientist lady "Lindsey" but I may be crosswiring her with the chick in The Abyss. Which was also about mysterious creatures living in the briny deep.

Comment

Same here. I only remember the doc. Everyone else I give my own names if I must discuss them. There's the doc, the kid, the MIB and the redneck.

So... are these sea creatures sentient or just super powered and small brained?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Eh...it started out ok, but now it's Godzilla and Close Encounters and ET all mashed together.

Comment

I watched parts of the SCIFI Surface marathon tonight and I gotta say, the show is tanking, but I'm staying tuned to ogle the doc's hot little boytoy. He's not that much younger than me. And I look younger than he does, so it evens out. ...Somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              I watched parts of the SCIFI Surface marathon tonight and I gotta say, the show is tanking, but I'm staying tuned to ogle the doc's hot little boytoy. He's not that much younger than me. And I look younger than he does, so it evens out. ...Somehow.
              Im suprised myself that the ratings are consistant. Heh, "...the doc's hot little boytoy." I feel sorry for him! At least she told him he is being used.

Also, 'Frodo' having dirt on his sister was quite interesting, but i can't say i felt sorry for her.

Was our 'man-using' doc's son in the latest episode? I was feeling an absence of littleness
              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I don't remember seeing the Token Precocious Tyke.

And the brother having dirt on the sister is actually kinda creepy. He's walking abour taking pictures of his sisters... activities with her boyfriends? That's more than a little squick. It's not like he knew, "Hey! I'm going to adopt a baby sea monster and I'll need all the dirt I can get to keep my sister quiet!"

I don't feel sorry for either of them. The dynamic is starting to take on a Shannon/Boone feel, but I know for a fact that Surface's producers aren't going in that direction.

Poor Boytoy. He knows she's using him and he still can't quite give her up. *sniff* So sweet... and sad. If only I could take care of him instead.

Comment

Poor Boytoy. He knows she's using him and he still can't quite give her up. *sniff* So sweet... and sad. If only I could take care of him instead.
                  Well see now the show can't be all bad then; you've found someone to ogle.

The plus side of the five minutes I devoted to the scifi marathon is that I learned the doc's name. It's Dr. Laura Daughtrey. And I remembered that without having to resort to IMDB.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I don't feel sorry for either of them. The dynamic is starting to take on a Shannon/Boone feel, but I know for a fact that Surface's producers aren't going in that direction.
                    The answer is simple: the producers aren't thinking about it as much as we are.

I have to say, I'm starting to like this Evil Government Spook Guy. He's just so competent and enthusiastic in his evil-ness. The way he efficiently and systematically ruins Daughtery's life, you can tell this is a man who enjoys his job. Haven't seen this kind of thing since the X-Files...
                    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                    What have these years left to me?
                    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
                      I have to say, I'm starting to like this Evil Government Spook Guy. He's just so competent and enthusiastic in his evil-ness. The way he efficiently and systematically ruins Daughtery's life, you can tell this is a man who enjoys his job. Haven't seen this kind of thing since the X-Files...
                      So true . You really have to respect that kind of single-minded determination to be so good at being bad that you don't even recognize that there's a "good" side opposing yours. People are just pawns for your maneuvering. Besides.... he's a little bit hot.

Is it really bad that I'm rooting for his side?

I'm just not the good person I thought I was because I was actually satisfied with the dog-eating escapade as well. I keep hoping Nimrod bites off a finger and that is the number one reason I keep watching. I'm evil.

Comment

I'm getting a liking toward Surface. I saw the premiere, missed the episode after. But i've kept up since. It's turning out to be quite interesting. Especially with the pet.

Comment

I'm not sure that I like the whole conspiracy angle the writers are taking. I have no doubt that the government would initially try to cover things up but when you have an entire lake disappearing into a sink hole and I think the last episode, the old scientist guy was talking to someone via a webcam that the average ocean tempature has risen 2 degs, someone would probably get rather suspicious. There is really no way that the government could actually cover up something like the entire world ocean tempature rising like that.

I'm not too sure about the brother/sister relationship since I'm an only child I don't have any frame of reference but it looked like the kid went snooping in his sisters room and found some nudie pics that she had taken for her boyfriend and he holding those over her, I don't think he is stalking her or something. I do like how they are at each others throats, blackmailing one another, the sister having her friends mess with him, that seems more like a real world brother/sister relationship.

An issue with the coming episodes
                          Spoiler:
                          In the previews, the announcer said that in the coming weeks the Kid becomes a fugative and I hope that he doesn't bring Nimrod along with him because that just seems wrong

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                            Does it say something about the show that the only name anyone remembers with any consistency is Nimrod?

I'm starting to wonder if the statement "It's never too late to get started on a great series" was meant to imply you should go ahead and stop watching Surface and watch something else.
                            Hmmm...I think people just need to listen.

Miles = Nimrod's owner
                            Phil = Miles' friend and co-owner of Nimrod
                            Laura = Doctor who is trying to research the creature...even though the government is trying to stop her.
                            Rich = guy who's brother was taken/eaten (?) by the creatures
                            Circo = weird esscentric guy who is researching the creature.
                            Lee = government dude who is keeping an eye on Circo
                            Tracy = Rich's wife
                            Savannah = Miles' sister

There...now people can stop saying that noone can remember anyone's name except Nimrod. Gotta love sweeping generalizations.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter
                              Hmmm...I think people just need to listen.

Miles = Nimrod's owner
                              Phil = Miles' friend and co-owner of Nimrod
                              Laura = Doctor who is trying to research the creature...even though the government is trying to stop her.
                              Rich = guy who's brother was taken/eaten (?) by the creatures
                              Circo = weird esscentric guy who is researching the creature.
                              Lee = government dude who is keeping an eye on Circo
                              Tracy = Rich's wife
                              Savannah = Miles' sister

There...now people can stop saying that noone can remember anyone's name except Nimrod. Gotta love sweeping generalizations.
                              I did say "with consistancy".

And, I completely forgot the Doc even had a kid. I wonder if she found a good, not-secretly-working-for-the-government babysitter.
                              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                                I did say "with consistancy".
                                That you did...however...there were others who said they couldn't remember any of the character's names

Part of the problem...I think is the actors. I mean the muddle their speech. Monday...I thought the guy that took Laura out on his boat was Judson. However, his name was Jackson. This isn't the first time that the actor's can't seem to articulate in this show.

However...I still like it!

GO NIMROD!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X