Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (Film)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaobuttons
    Has anyone heard if they're planning on making them all? Or skippng some/combining etc?

I too like publication order better than chrono. I just think the world develops better. The Dragonrider of Pern series is a great example of that!
    I think it'll be what they always do. They'll make them as long as enough of us watch them.
    It's like HP. THey keep making new ones cause they are still making a truckload of cash from them.
    Personally, I thought Jackson had it right. He made all 3 LOTR movies at once and he made more than the cost back from FOTR alone.

Comment

If they do make truckloads of money maybe they'll do it like the Pirates of the Caribbean, make the second and third movie at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
        If they do make truckloads of money maybe they'll do it like the Pirates of the Caribbean, make the second and third movie at the same time.
        I hope so. Even if they do a LOTR and release them a year apart, it doesn't hurt the continuity as much. That was the thing with LOTR that I didn't feel with most francises. It FELT like 3 movies. Like one was a continuation of the other and they flowed.
        Other's don't.

Comment

i cannot wait for this to come out. i read the entire book series like a dozen times when i was a kid. from what i saw on the trailers, they are using a live lion as Aslan.
          All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
          Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
            i cannot wait for this to come out. i read the entire book series like a dozen times when i was a kid. from what i saw on the trailers, they are using a live lion as Aslan.
            Aslan is part CGI and part puppet, I think when the girls are riding Aslan it's a puppet.

Comment

That's how awesome special effects are these days. A cgi lion looks alive!
              It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I hope this remake is better than the cartoon and BBC version.

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
                Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
                "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
                My deviantART profile

Comment

Whats with all the religious overtones, i have been hearing about
                  My DVD Collection http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=deathshadow

Comment

The Christian analogies in C S Lewis's Narnia books are fairly obvious. Even so, they managed to totally escape me as a child and I only cottoned on to them fairly late in life. So if you don't want to find them, you can remain pretty much oblivious and just enjoy the books for the roillicking fun they are.

The most obvious ones of course are:

Spoiler:
                    Aslan actually being Jesus/God, who has temporarily taken on the role of a lion in this world. Witness the 'cruxifiction' of Aslan on the stone table and his miraculous resurrection. The fact that he gave his life over to his enemies and was brutally killed as a sacrifice for others. At the end of The Last Battle, when the animals are streaming past and looking into his face, he looks into their souls and they are chosen either for Heaven or Hell. Aslan tells the children they died in their world and 'suddenly he didn't look like a lion to them any longer' (paraphrasing). The implication being that he had shown them he was truly God and they are welcomed into Heaven. There are others scattered around, but those are the least subtle.
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                      The Christian analogies in C S Lewis's Narnia books are fairly obvious. Even so, they managed to totally escape me as a child and I only cottoned on to them fairly late in life. So if you don't want to find them, you can remain pretty much oblivious and just enjoy the books for the roillicking fun they are.

The most obvious ones of course are:

Spoiler:
                      Aslan actually being Jesus/God, who has temporarily taken on the role of a lion in this world. Witness the 'cruxifiction' of Aslan on the stone table and his miraculous resurrection. The fact that he gave his life over to his enemies and was brutally killed as a sacrifice for others. At the end of The Last Battle, when the animals are streaming past and looking into his face, he looks into their souls and they are chosen either for Heaven or Hell. Aslan tells the children they died in their world and 'suddenly he didn't look like a lion to them any longer' (paraphrasing). The implication being that he had shown them he was truly God and they are welcomed into Heaven. There are others scattered around, but those are the least subtle.
                      Well see the thing is in not religious at all and i don't want them throwing it in my face. When all the Christian groups are saying go see it then i really don't want to see it
                      My DVD Collection http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=deathshadow

Comment

Originally posted by deathbed1983
                        Well see the thing is in not religious at all and i don't want them throwing it in my face. When all the Christian groups are saying go see it then i really don't want to see it

It's a movie about talking animals, doorways to another world, a witch, and magic. If you don't want to see it, your loss.

Christian groups are promoting it because it was written by a author who was Christian. Lewis was in the same writing group as Tolkien (another Christian) and he wrote Lord of the Rings. Christian groups supported those movies too... Did you not go and see LOTR either?

Edit: And actually, while I was browsing through your dvd collection from your provided link in your sig, I noticed several movies that had religious themes in them, most notably, "The Ten Commandments, Special Collector's Edition".
                        Last edited by aaobuttons; 31 October 2005, 07:46 AM.
                        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
                          It's a movie about talking animals, doorways to another world, a witch, and magic. If you don't want to see it, your loss.

Christian groups are promoting it because it was written by a author who was Christian. Lewis was in the same writing group as Tolkien (another Christian) and he wrote Lord of the Rings. Christian groups supported those movies too... Did you not go and see LOTR either?

Edit: And actually, while I was browsing through your dvd collection from your provided link in your sig, I noticed several movies that had religious themes in them, most notably, "The Ten Commandments, Special Collector's Edition".
                          There ARE christian parallels in TLTWATW. That's true.
                          OR perhaps, it's true to say that those parallels CAN be drawn. For myself, I don't see the books as massive attempt to convert young kids. I, like others, read them when I was young and completely missed that. It was only in high school I saw the parallels that could be made. I chose to ignore them and enjoy the story. It's a GOOD story.
                          As long as christians in teh audiance don't try to convert me, I'm fine with them promoting it. 'The Passion of the Christ" it ain't.
                          The more of us who see it, the more likely they will make more!

Comment

Well, honestly I think you'd miss out if you avoid it simply because a certain group you have religious differences with tells you you should go see it. And I say that as an atheist. Who cares what anyone says? Go see it if you think it would be fun. Or don't. But do make it your choice. Not going to see it just because you don't want to be told to by Christians makes it as much about them telling you what to do than if you went because they told you to!

And I agree absolutely with Lightsabre - that was partially the point of my last post. The Christian analogies are there because C S Lewis had strong Christian beliefs. He put elements which mattered personally to him into his work. This is the man, after all, who once said that he wrote the books entirely for himself, the books he wanted to read - because no one else would do it for him. Naturally, he included what was important in his life.

But I seriously doubt that he intended to push Christianity on anyone, nor was it an attempt to convert anyone. The books are fun, magical adventures.

And, as I say, I knew all about C S Lewis's Christian affiliations when I read the Narnia books as a child. I read The Screwtape Letters in high school. And yet I still missed the obvious connections in the Narnia novels when I read them and it wasn't until someone mentioned them in passing on irc one night when I was well into middle age, that it suddenly clicked with me. A real duh moment. Suddenly, they were so obvious and I couldn't understand how I'd skimmed right over them. I think that was because I wasn't interested in noticing them. I was enjoying the books for what they were - rollicking good fun and that was that.

So, basically, take them as you want to. Enjoy them as Christian parables or as SFantasy. It all works. It's all good.

Actually though, I find the news that Christian groups are promoting this movie rather amusing and ironic. Wonder if these are the same Christian groups who regularly ban Halloween because it's all about witches and magic? Or who regularly ban books like the Narnia novels from their schools for the same reasons? Hey, maybe J K Rowling could take a few tips there. Toss in a few Christian analogies in her next HP novel, among all the spells and potions, and all that Christian backlash against her 'demonic' books will fade away.

Albion
                            Last edited by Albion; 31 October 2005, 02:33 PM.
                            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Moviefone exclusive

There's a small clip of the battle up, the centaurs look very cool in action. As do all the various animals.

Comment

I've loved these books since my mom got me the set when I was young. They were favorites of hers when she was little and she thought I should have them. Now I need to buy a new set because mine are getting too worn. They are still some of my favorite books.

I hope they do a good job on this movie. I've personally always wanted to make these movies for the big screen but someone else has beat me to it! They better do a good job!

One of the things I do hate though, is you do get a picture of what the characters should look like (with HP LOTR they did an excellent job of matching character imo). In this movie however, the white witch has blond hair (i've always pictured her with jet black hair,) and Lucy has dark hair (I've always pictured her blond). Hopefully I'll get used to that.
                                Andromeda Fate
                                Something you need to ask yourself everyday, with every decision - WWMD "What Would McKay Do?"
                                "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you" - Teal'c
                                "Go suck a lemon!" - Carter
                                "Like everyone else, I lived in a house bricked up with seconds and minutes, weekends and New Year's Days, and I never went outside until I died, because there was no other door. Now I know that I could have walked through the walls." - Peter S. Beagle
                                "I hope your apple pie is frickin' worth it!" - Supernatural

Comment

Working...
                                X