Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After viewing the Ninth Doctor's stories, does anyone miss the 25-minute multiple episode format?

Comment

I kinda do but then again I have got used to the format they use on UK Gold but it does make the episodes feel that much longer.
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
        After viewing the Ninth Doctor's stories, does anyone miss the 25-minute multiple episode format?
        No, I have not liked cliffhanger type episodes for many years, so the 'bottled' episodes are good, that doesn't mean they all have to be like that but I found season 27 to be really impressive in the way they used the time they had to tell the story. I also think unfortunately today people (young and old) just don't watch TV shows like they use to. People seem to not have the time to dedicate to a story arc that maybe they had 20 years ago.

I wanted to watch all the Seven doctors episodes but I didn't have the time, or the VCR so I ended up watching one ep here and one there and following few stories as a whole. Times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
          No, I have not liked cliffhanger type episodes for many years, so the 'bottled' episodes are good, that doesn't mean they all have to be like that but I found season 27 to be really impressive in the way they used the time they had to tell the story.
          They sure do.

I also think unfortunately today people (young and old) just don't watch TV shows like they use to. People seem to not have the time to dedicate to a story arc that maybe they had 20 years ago.
          Yeah, that's a problem. I remember getting together with family members to watch some PBS. We don't put the time aside anymore. To me, Doctor Who was a family program.

I wanted to watch all the Seven doctors episodes but I didn't have the time, or the VCR so I ended up watching one ep here and one there and following few stories as a whole. Times have changed.
          Yes, now we have TiVo!!!

Comment

I like them packaged togather, but not so much once a week
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

AIUI the Eccleston situation went like this:

>The return of Doctor Who is announced. Eccleston's name is not on the producers' shortlist of actors because nobody believes he would do it.
              >Eccleston short-circuits his agent by calling the showrunner directly and offering his services, which are quickly accepted.
              >However, he refuses to commit himself to more than one season but says he hopes he'll enjoy the experience enough to stay on until Series Three.
              >Eccleston has a very bad time filming block one (Rose, Aliens of London, World War Three) due to personality clashes with the director, at one point supposedly walking off set shouting "At least I don't have to watch this ****!" At this point it looks as if he is unlikely to do a second season.
              >He enjoys himself much more working on Eps 272, 273, 276, 277 and 278 and it seems unclear how he feels about continuing. He begins to comment, though, that he's finding the schedule punishing.
              >During the filming of 279, The Empty Child, he meets with the producers and informs them he won't be returning for a second series. Whether RTD, the head writer, had already been thinking about ways to write him out is unknown but it seems likely he had some inkling it might need to be done.
              >The script for 213, The Parting of the Ways, is amended to include a regeneration scene.
              >RTD is eager to make the regeneration a total surprise for the audience and Eccleston agrees to the BBC's request to keep his departure a secret.
              >Promotion for the series launch begins and Eccleston is visibly uncomfortable with the deceit, dodging the question of continuing in the role repeatedly and having a confrontation with chatshow host Jonathon Ross (who, suspicious, relentlessly pressed him)
              >The newspapers suspect something is up and begin digging, pestering production team members and searching for any clues.
              >Given a heads up by the papers that they've found evidence and are going to run the story that Eccleston has quit, the BBC decide to limit the damage by announcing first.
              >This is news to Eccleston who is angered by BBC Publicity making claims about his reasons for quitting and making him look like a bit of a spare by having him deny it while admitting it themselves.

Comment

Even though I understand why, It would have been better if they hadn't anounce it for the story

Comment

The problem is that Doctor Who is the biggest BBC made production and as a result of it gets Press constantly. This meant that secrets rarely stay secret with the press hounding at the BBC all the time.

Comment

ture, but it would have been a good surprise

Comment

This is scifi. We are scifi fans. No one would have been able to keep a secret that big!
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                        This is scifi. We are scifi fans. No one would have been able to keep a secret that big!
                        Ture, but we could hope

Comment

Yep we all Dare to Dream. The Problem was there was no thinking outside the box.

Comment

That is ture, and we love to watch shows where they threw the box away

Comment

Ah...just thought rather pointlessly that I would bring this thread out of the back waters for the possible new viewers of Dr Who, it might have helped if we had put a name in the title; anyway...

Link to BBC site and all about Christopher Eccleston and his "new" Doctor. I know Skiffy has one but this is better. BBC Dr Who

Just because I can a piccy of The '9th' Doctor.

Comment

Yay. Thats a great Tardis and 9th Doctor pic !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X