Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
    Brothers Fifth and Starbase and myself all went to the same High school (Terra Linda, class of 1983). One of the great memories I along with both them have from High School was a senior prank that some truly brilliant electronic students pulled off. -- They rigged an old reel to reel tape player with a car battery to repeat George Carlin's epic record 'The Seven Words you can Never say on tv" on and endless loop over the schools intercom system right before the first classes began. They disguised the tape player and car battery to look like an air conditioning duct on the roof so people trying to find the source would be thwarted. And Thwarted they were, it ran for 2 full periods before they decided to finally call the rest of the school day off. Talk about fricking hilarious, I was in 10th grade at the time and never heard of George Carlin as of yet. I was shocked, amazed and smiling the whole time. Needless to say, I went out and bought that record the next day.
    I remember that very well brother USS Defiant, but you are leaving out part of the story or maybe you don't remember it as well I do..... Every thing you said is perfectly accurate except they never did find the source until the next day, so it was actually 2 days of school we missed. And George Carlin wasn't the only comedienne on the tape being braodcasted. - There was also Richard Pryor's ultra-hilarious and equally outrageous Wanted: Live in Concert album that was just as vulgar if not more so than George Carlin. And there was also some recording's of Redd Foxx doing one of his hilarious insult laden routines. I know because I stayed after and hung out in the Quad to listen to it while they tried to hunt down the source. I think there was maybe a 100 of us all standing around cracking up to what we were hearing. Like I said it took 2 days to hunt down the source of the recording and what they ended up having to do was find the original blue-prints of the High School and check each air duct, air conditioning unit and various other stuff on the roof until they found the one that didn't belong. When they did find it, they found a reel to reel tape player wired to a Tractor battery that was capable of holding a charge long enough for that tape player to run continiously for 7-8 more days. Talk about of all-time smart HS pranks, that one is tops.

You have to remember it was a different time when we were in HS. - Terra Linda was out of control when we attended (1979-1983). It was so over-crowded (like many schools in California in the 1980's) that we had some classes with 50 students crammed into rooms made for 30 students max. The school was designed for about 2,000 students, when we attended it averaged 2,700+, so pranks and all kinds of shennanigans ensued regulary. Other memorable pranks from Terra Linda were ... They put a VW bug in the school swimming pool ... The dumped 3 tons of sand into the Quad area and then plugged the drains to flood it, all to create a beach with ocean scene (that prank was also tremendous!) ... When I was a senior they blew up the schools main power transformer that caused us to miss 2 days of school ... They superclued all the key holes in the school, and I do mean all ... They salted our rivals high schools football field spelling out EAT SH*T LOSERS. Stuff like that would be awefully hard for kids to get away with in today's society. Those were the good ole days, thank God there gone.
    Last edited by the Fifth Race; 23 June 2008, 12:24 PM.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      I remember that very well brother USS Defiant, but you are leaving out part of the story or maybe you don't remember it as well I do..... Every thing you said is perfectly accurate except they never did find the source until the next day, so it was actually 2 days of school we missed. And George Carlin wasn't the only comedienne on the tape being braodcasted. - There was also Richard Pryor's ultra-hilarious and equally outrageous Wanted: Live in Concert album that was just as vulgar if not more so than George Carlin. And there was also some recording's of Redd Foxx doing one of his hilarious insult laden routines. I know because I stayed after and hung out in the Quad to listen to it while they tried to hunt down the source. I think there was maybe a 100 of us all standing around cracking up to what we were hearing. Like I said it took 2 days to hunt down the source of the recording and what they ended up having to do was find the original blue-prints of the High School and check each air duct, air conditioning unit and various other stuff on the roof until they found the one that didn't belong. Talk about of all-time smart HS pranks, that one is tops.

You have to remember it was a different time when we were in HS. - Terra Linda was out of control when we attended (1979-1983). It was so over-crowded (like many schools in California in the 1980's) that we had some classes with 50 students crammed into rooms made for 30 students max. The school was designed for about 2,000 students, when we attended it averaged 2,700+, so pranks and all kinds of shennanigans ensued regulary. Other memorable pranks from Terra Linda were ... They put a VW bug in the school swimming pool ... Dump 3 tons of sand in the Quad and plug drains for flooding to create a beach with ocean scene (that prank was also tremendous!) ... When I was a senior they blew up the schools main power transformer that caused us to miss 2 days of school ... They superclued all the key holes in the school, and I do mean all ... They salted our rivals high schools football field spelling out EAT SH*T LOSERS. Stuff that kids would have a hard time getting away with in todays society. Those were the good ole days, thank God there gone.

Yeah. Any of that today would result in immediate suspension or expulsion and a visit from the school's resident cop- no one would dare try to pull any of that (except the field writing thing, had that happened a few times ), sadly if anything crazy happens in high school now it's usually of the scary malicious nature rather than the mostly harmless fun kind. What a shame, to miss out on the fun.

Comment

Well said, there was a lot in common with Potter and Henry even though they seemed like polar opposites on the surface. Fairness and being nice are the two most common traits they shared.
        <snippety snipped for space>
        Henry? Potter? anyone wonder if JK Rowling used to watch MASH? after all Harry is a nickname (in britian atleast) for Henry. so is the most famous boy wizard named after two MASH characters? makes ya wonder, hmmmmmmmm?

Comment

DS9 Season III Episode #59 Heart of Stone

Background and Inside Information
          The Kira and Odo storyline in this episode was partly based on the 1964 Ken Kesey novel Sometimes a Great Notion. In this book, a character's leg is trapped underneath a large log, causing him to subsequently drown when he is unable to free his leg to prevent water rising above his head. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

The title of the episode comes from, and the plot was partly inspired by, William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. (See Shakespeare and Star Trek)

The origin of Odo's name is revealed in this episode.

This episode marks the beginning of Nog's journey to become a Starfleet officer.

It is revealed that a non-Federation citizen, in order to be admitted to Starfleet Academy, needs a reference from a commanding officer.

The Female Changeling here fulfills the promise to visit Odo which she made in "The Search, Part II".

This episode confirms the fact that Rom is a skilled engineer, something which was hinted at in the second season episode "Necessary Evil", and something which would be revisited throughout the fifth, sixth and seventh seasons, after Rom becomes a junior engineer in "Bar Association".

Odo's revelation that he loves Kira is actually the first time he has revealed this information. It had been hinted at in several episodes (such as "The Collaborator" and "Meridian"), and Lwaxana Troi had guessed it in "Fascination", but Odo himself had never admitted to it until this episode.

Ensign Villix'pran is mentioned for the first time in this episode. He would be mentioned again in the fifth season episodes "Apocalypse Rising" and "Business as Usual", but viewers would never see him on-screen.

We learn in this episode that O'Brien's love for kayaking, first revealed in the TNG episode "Transfigurations", is still alive and well.

This is the first episode in which Rom openly defies Quark. This theme would continue in "Prophet Motive" and "Family Business", and would ultimately culminate in "Bar Association".

The 'rock' prop on this episode was extremely unpopular among both cast and crew. Ira Steven Behr called it "that horrible, horrible prop of a rock". Nana Visitor was also disappointed with it; "It didn't look like I'd imagined it when I read the script. I thought it was going to be like my body turning to stone. Instead I looked like a big old hot fudge sundae, and my head was the cherry on top". Director Alexander Singer said "nothing made the pinkish lavender rock look more realistic", while visual effects supervisor Glenn Neufeld claimed of the actual shooting of the rock that "pretty much none of it worked". (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

Salome Jens consented to be listed in the end credits rather than the beginning credits so as not to spoil the surprise.

The scene where Nog talks to Sisko about his father is actor Aron Eisenberg's all-time favorite piece of his own acting, and this is his favorite DS9 episode. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

Referenced Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: #18 ("A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all")
          The USS Defiant Rocks!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

RIP indeed!. Carlin is one the greats who wasn't afraid to tell it like it is. Brother Fifth started a RIP Carlin thread in the Off Topic Section of the forum. Sign in there as well if you are so inclined.

Brothers Fifth and Starbase and myself all went to the same High school (Terra Linda, class of 1983). One of the great memories I along with both them have from High School was a senior prank that some truly brilliant electronic students pulled off. -- They rigged an old reel to reel tape player with a car battery to repeat George Carlin's epic record 'The Seven Words you can Never say on tv" on and endless loop over the schools intercom system right before the first classes began. They disguised the tape player and car battery to look like an air conditioning duct on the roof so people trying to find the source would be thwarted. And Thwarted they were, it ran for 2 full periods before they decided to finally call the rest of the school day off. Talk about fricking hilarious, I was in 10th grade at the time and never heard of George Carlin as of yet. I was shocked, amazed and smiling the whole time. Needless to say, I went out and bought that record the next day.
            lol, my prank caused the fire department to evacuate the school. Argon in liquid form in the air ducts = bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
              lol, my prank caused the fire department to evacuate the school. Argon in liquid form in the air ducts = bad idea.
              That is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                That is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard
                The year before some guy got a cow on the roof, the next day the cow was all over the east quad, and parts of the west quad.

Comment

LOL, my wife wife is very impressed with what great Day's soap opera knowledge both you BOYS (brothers nx and Fifth) possess. She wonders if you would like to join her and her lady friends for there weekly get together to discuss there soaps and drink tea. LOL. I'm just teasing you to, I have to admit to being a Day's of of our Lives fan back in the day. The Brady's, The Demira's, Bo and Hope, Marlena and John Black, Marlena and Euge, Marlena and Roman, Marlena everyone else etc ....

What's amazing is that most of all those great and wacky characters from the 1980's are still on the show with a lot of died hair and plastic surgery/botox to cover the wrinkles. Long Live Day's of Our Lives.
                  Retro-Days can't be avoided down here. I try, believe me, but it can't be done.
                  I'm shocked that Alice Horton's still alive, much less on the show. Marlena hasn't aged a day. Bless Botox, bless.
                  I was shocked when I was in Canada in 1999 and saw a 5 minute seriously softcore pre-sex scene between some woman and her young assistant. I watched with a mix of shock and awe.

Salome Jens consented to be listed in the end credits rather than the beginning credits so as not to spoil the surprise. Most of us are credits-watchers. When we see particular names, we get a feel for what may happen in the episode. I love it when they shift the more telling actor names to the end credits so it doesn't ruin surprises for the real fans.
                  Last edited by nx01a; 24 June 2008, 11:06 AM.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

IMHO M*A*S*H is the greatest half hour of entertainment there has even been on television. - It is emotional, touching, violent, racist, realistic and oh so hilarious. They got away with stuff on that show you will never see or hear repeated again on any television show. And even by today's standards - M*A*S*H was and still is way ahead of its time.
                    indeed, would any other show with a medical staff so blatantly violate the hippocratic oath as Hawkeye did when he removed a healthy appendix? It really was an unsettling episode but made you realize that even the most noble of people can be 'pushed' to do unscrupulous things under severe circumstances...The other thing that stood out was 'Goodbye Radar' when they return to the Swamp and Potter finds Radar's teddy bear on Hawkeye's cot..or the fact that BJ's pent up frustration boils over when Erin calls Radar "Daddy"

great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by flyerdog View Post
                      indeed, would any other show with a medical staff so blatantly violate the hippocratic oath as Hawkeye did when he removed a healthy appendix? It really was an unsettling episode but made you realize that even the most noble of people can be 'pushed' to do unscrupulous things under severe circumstances...The other thing that stood out was 'Goodbye Radar' when they return to the Swamp and Potter finds Radar's teddy bear on Hawkeye's cot..or the fact that BJ's pent up frustration boils over when Erin calls Radar "Daddy"

great stuff
                      Those are great moments you mention flyerdog. Other memorable and touching moments in various episodes I can remember are ...

When Radar was injured and Hawkeye was to drunk or hungover to help patients which irked Radar and he ended up calling Radar a ninny and naive.

Charles anonymously gave his expensive Boston candy to a Korean orphanage which Klinger found out about and helped return the favor to Charles.

Hawkeye, BJ and Margeret faked a soldiers times of death on the death certificate so his family wouldn't know he died on Christmas.

BJ adopting a Korean family by helping with chores while he cared for the sick father.

The soldier who thought he was Jesus Christ.

Henry saluting Radar as he leaves for home.

Radar walks into the OR and says that Henry's plane was sot down, and that there were no survivors.

When Hawkeyes new nurse girlfriend is killed by a sniper at night and he gives her eulogy.

Col Potter became attached to a young soldier from the midwest and they talked fishing and he ended up treating and calling the young soldier son.

Nurse Kellye Nakahara (one of my favorite characters) sits with a dying soldier who thinks that nurse Kellye is his girlfriend from back home.

Maragaret doing the samething with a soldier who knows he is going to die.

When guest star Patrick Swazey played a soldier that wanted to give blood for his buddy and found out that he had Lukeimea (one of Father Mulcahey's finest moments).

When Charles befriends and sticks up for a young man who stutters while taking crap from his fellow soldiers, in the end Charles goes to listen to a tape from his siter Honorea.

Hawkeye is asking BJ questions about his family, then they surprise BJ with that recording and home movie of his wife and daughter.

When they watched Henry's home movie which also had some hilarious footage with Henry's neighbors.

Hawkeye comforting BJ, who is devastated by the fact that his daughter called Radar "Daddy".

Charles helps Hawkeye cope with his fathers illness, and says that while he only has a father, Hawkeye has a dad.

Col. Potter's toast to his now dead friends from previous wars-Tontine.

Henry's statements to Hawkeye after Hawkeye's friend dies in the OR. Rule number 1 is, young men die. Rule number 2 is, doctors can't change rule number 1.

Radar gives Col. Potter a horse for his anniversary (probably my favorite scene from the entire series).

The entire M*A*S*H finale, especially the scenes with Hawkeye and Dr. Sidney Freedman.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        Retro-Days can't be avoided down here. I try, believe me, but it can't be done.
                        I'm shocked that Alice Horton's still alive, much less on the show. Marlena hasn't aged a day. Bless Botox, bless.
                        I was shocked when I was in Canada in 1999 and saw a 5 minute seriously softcore pre-sex scene between some woman and her young assistant. I watched with a mix of shock and awe.
                        Out of curiosity I tuned in to Day's a few times over the last week and a half after we started talking about it. You and brother USS Defiant are right, a lot of the same players are still there plugging along. I saw John Black, Marlena, Stephano DeMira, Roman, Bo, Hope, Abe, Chloe, Sammy, Victor Kiriakis played by John Aniston (Jennifer's father) and few others I recognized. What an amazingly ridiculous show it still is. Soap Opera's in general go off the deep end with crazy storylines, and I do mean crazy, but Day's of Our Lives takes the cake!.
                        Originally posted by nx01a
                        Salome Jens consented to be listed in the end credits rather than the beginning credits so as not to spoil the surprise. Most of us are credits-watchers. When we see particular names, we get a feel for what may happen in the episode. I love it when they shift the more telling actor names to the end credits so it doesn't ruin surprises for the real fans.
                        I also took note of that little nugget of information that brother USS Defiant provided. I also appreciate the fact that a show does not give away who a guest star or a recurring character might be in the beginning credits so it wont tip the hand of the episode. DS9, TNG, VOY and ENT all did a wonderful job of doing this little courtesy to keep there fan base happy. Where as Stargate and Atlantis have dropped the ball more than a few times with giving away who is going to appear in the episode you are about to watch. I also remember B5 doing this a lot as well, it used to piss me off big time.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I've been enjoying the discussion about M.A.S.H. It is a fantastic show, a perfect balance of pathos and humour. I can't say any more than what has already been said by everyone really and totally share the sentiments. One of those shows I can watch again and again and still be moved to tears or laughter how ever many times I watch each episode.

One of my favourite silly moments is where they all sit down to await the creaky old enemy WW1 style bi plane that came over every day at midday to try and drop one bomb on what the inept pilot thought was an ammunition dump. Bets were taken as to how close he could get each time with a lot of cheering him on!

As for soaps, not a fan at all! When I saw an awful British soap called Coronation Street appear on my TV screen here in Canada I couldn't believe it! Not even moving to another continent could get me away from that awful soap, as soon as I hear that dismal theme tune start I can't switch the channel fast enough!!! I really can't see the attraction for over the top story lines and deranged characters!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                            I've been enjoying the discussion about M.A.S.H. It is a fantastic show, a perfect balance of pathos and humour. I can't say any more than what has already been said by everyone really and totally share the sentiments. One of those shows I can watch again and again and still be moved to tears or laughter how ever many times I watch each episode.

One of my favourite silly moments is where they all sit down to await the creaky old enemy WW1 style bi plane that came over every day at midday to try and drop one bomb on what the inept pilot thought was an ammunition dump. Bets were taken as to how close he could get each time with a lot of cheering him on!

As for soaps, not a fan at all! When I saw an awful British soap called Coronation Street appear on my TV screen here in Canada I couldn't believe it! Not even moving to another continent could get me away from that awful soap, as soon as I hear that dismal theme tune start I can't switch the channel fast enough!!! I really can't see the attraction for over the top story lines and deranged characters!
                            LOL what a turnabout Krisz, you and I are the soap haters and it's the GUYS here who talk about soaps! I gave up soaps in my early 20's. There was too much else to do in life (had a family to take care of). I actually gave up most commercial tv about a decade later. I am very fussy about what I spend my time on. Trek, Stargate, and documentaries have made up the bulk of my tv veiwing in the past 10+ years. I recently have gotten into Foodtv and Do-it-yourself home improvement shows. but really that is usually only background noise when I cook or clean.
                            As for soaps -The over-the-top characters and stupid (I mean STUPID ) storylines turned me off. I also got uncomfortable with the explictness of sex in them. I know that isn't much compared to other countries, but it was too much for me. (Poor RDA never wore a shirt on General Hospital, even though he was supposed to be playing a doctor, all he did was "play doctor" )
                            I actually played a nurse in our high school's adaptation of MASH, and found the series to be different (and in some ways better , some worse) from the play.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                              That would be the infamous 5 O'Clock Charlie from said titled episode. Great call Krisz.
                              Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                              LOL what a turnabout Krisz, you and I are the soap haters and it's the GUYS here who talk about soaps!
                              LOL, i was thinking the same thing Lady Rac. I know brother Fifth and his ex-wife very well, and they both used to watch Day's of Our Live's a lot. I never went for soap opera's, I always kind of considered TNG to be a guy's soap opera (albeit a very good 1).
                              Originally posted by Rac80
                              I actually played a nurse in our high school's adaptation of MASH, and found the series to be different (and in some ways better , some worse) from the play.
                              Kewl. In junior high school (7th grade) my drama teacher gave us the choice to do MacBeth or M*A*S*H and we chose MacBeth. Although MacBeth turned out to be fine because I landed the pretty juicy role of Rosse, which if memory serves me right he was MacBeth's personal friend and physcian. I remember I had quite a few lines.

Comment

I also took note of that little nugget of information that brother USS Defiant provided. I also appreciate the fact that a show does not give away who a guest star or a recurring character might be in the beginning credits so it wont tip the hand of the episode. DS9, TNG, VOY and ENT all did a wonderful job of doing this little courtesy to keep there fan base happy. Where as Stargate and Atlantis have dropped the ball more than a few times with giving away who is going to appear in the episode you are about to watch. I also remember B5 doing this a lot as well, it used to piss me off big time.
                                If you saw Ed Wasser's name appear, you knew the episode would be great and important and involve Shadows. If you saw Walter Koenig, you knew it'd be a telepath episode. If you watch Atlantis' Be All My Sins Remember'd, you see that Larrin woman's name and Todd BUT you have no idea what's coming at the very end because the relevant name in question is in the end credits. It depends on how much of a massive spoiler the name-dropping will be.

It was Victor's wife and her assistant doing the 5 minute desk romp! Victor was wheelchair bound and she was well in a chair...
                                Last edited by nx01a; 25 June 2008, 02:42 PM.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X