Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    'Supernatural' is a fantastic show!! It stepped nicely for me into the void left by the end of Stargate SG-1 as being a show as riveting in storylines and rich in character development as Stargate and DS9! They film around where I live a lot, I never knew the place I lived in could be so creepy!! Check out the season 1 episode 'The Benders'. The scene where....

Spoiler:
    Dean is waiting on the bench for the sheriff and they watch the van drive by that makes the weird noise.

That is Maple Ridge's town centre with the theatre and arts centre in the background. I was watching that with my daughter and we sat there for a moment wondering why the place looked so familiar. I do like the way 'Supernatural' tends to shoot more tightly in locations so you can't really place it in a Vancouver location all the time. Given how much is filmed here it's a relief sometimes to not have to look past a place you know for it to be the place the show is set in! Goes to show how well they do it, I didn't notice it was a familiar landmark until the second viewing with my daughter!!
    I've never seen Supernatural, but I like it when shows shoot in Vancouver but try to shoot it so that you're not thinking, oh. Yeah. Vancouver. There's that landmark. It does take you out of the show a bit! The 4400 and Dead Like Me, for example, didn't really try to do anything to hide that it was Vancouver (both doubling as Seattle I think?), so as much as I enjoy those shows, watching them I'd be thinking, yeah I know place. I know that place too. Yup, been there. It does kinda take me out of the viewing for a moment. The X-Files tended to do a good job of using unfamiliar places (to me anyway).

Though I have to admit, if I lived on the mainland, I'd probably join that group of BSG fans that tromps around Lynn Canyon searching for the locations used in the Kobol/other planet episodes. It looks ridiculously fun.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      Supernatural is a very good show which gets better with each season, you are in for a treat Mariel. You might want to check out another CW Network show that is going in to season II and will paired up with Supernatural on Thursday night's next season called Reaper. It is unique and unlike any scifi/supernatural type show on air today. It is very funny and rather creepy, definetly worth a gander.
      Two recommendations for Reaper--looks like I might have to check this one out too. Thanks.

'Supernatural' is a fantastic show!! It stepped nicely for me into the void left by the end of Stargate SG-1 as being a show as riveting in storylines and rich in character development as Stargate and DS9! They film around where I live a lot, I never knew the place I lived in could be so creepy!! Check out the season 1 episode 'The Benders'. The scene where....

Spoiler:
      Dean is waiting on the bench for the sheriff and they watch the van drive by that makes the weird noise.

That is Maple Ridge's town centre with the theatre and arts centre in the background. I was watching that with my daughter and we sat there for a moment wondering why the place looked so familiar. I do like the way 'Supernatural' tends to shoot more tightly in locations so you can't really place it in a Vancouver location all the time. Given how much is filmed here it's a relief sometimes to not have to look past a place you know for it to be the place the show is set in! Goes to show how well they do it, I didn't notice it was a familiar landmark until the second viewing with my daughter!!

I second Fifth Race's recommendation for 'Reaper'. Hopefully the first season will come out on DVD soon and you can take a look. It's worth watching for it's whacky humour. I think it compliments 'Supernatural' in an odd sort of way!

Have a good break Fifth Race, you lucky thing, Napa Valley, nice!! I can't wait to get back to San Francisco again. I'm starting a new job on Wednesday, I finally found a job after months of searching! Other than a week off for Gatecon I don't know when I next get a holiday but I've had my fill of 'holiday' for a while now! The next one I hope will be a trip to San Francisco.
      Congrats on your new job, Krisz! That's great! It's really tough, not to mention scary at times, to do the job hunt thing.

That's so crazy that you can recognize familiar places where they film. And cool too.
      Spoiler:
      But if I lived by the Benders, I'd be moving! That was one of the scariest eps of the season for me. A redneck family gone reallly bad.
      One of the reasons I like the show is the stories often take place in the Midwest. One was in Saginaw, Michigan, a town I'm fairly familiar with. I know they don't film in these locations, but it's kind of exciting to have a show where the "flyover" states aren't ignored in favor of the coasts (and no offense meant to the coasts ). And it looks like the Midwest I'm familiar with, all the dusty little towns and burgs. They do a good job. It's like the brothers are on one scary road trip across the entire country.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      My new macbook is coming this afternoon. *jumps up and down*
      *Is slightly jealous* Have fun with your new computer!

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
        Congrats on your new job, Krisz! That's great! It's really tough, not to mention scary at times, to do the job hunt thing.
        Forgot to add that in my post as well, congrats Krisz! Glad to hear that you found something.
        That's so crazy that you can recognize familiar places where they film. And cool too.
        Spoiler:
        But if I lived by the Benders, I'd be moving! That was one of the scariest eps of the season for me. A redneck family gone reallly bad.
        One of the reasons I like the show is the stories often take place in the Midwest. One was in Saginaw, Michigan, a town I'm fairly familiar with. I know they don't film in these locations, but it's kind of exciting to have a show where the "flyover" states aren't ignored in favor of the coasts (and no offense meant to the coasts ). And it looks like the Midwest I'm familiar with, all the dusty little towns and burgs. They do a good job. It's like the brothers are on one scary road trip across the entire country.
        Good point, nearly everything is set on either the east or west coast, so it's always good to know when there's a show set somewhere a little different. Surely it can't be true that nothing exciting could possibly happen in the middle of the continent! Of course Corner Gas starts coming to my mind now.
        *Is slightly jealous* Have fun with your new computer!
        I'm updating from a desktop PC with an 18.6GB harddrive, 500MB of memory, and a moniter that is a foot long and has to sit on a separate table from my desk just so that I have room for the keyboard and mouse, to a macbook with a 250GB harddrive, 4GB of memory, and is very sleek and shiny and little. Yes, I am excited, and it's about time.

Comment

Supernatural's great. It has that X-Files monster-of-the-week/mythos style, does Mark Snow do the music? I love how the first two seasons can basically be seen as a complete story; if it hadn't been renewed for a 3rd, viewers would still be satisfied. My one complaint is the same one I have with Smallville and these family/teen/pretty white superpeople with problems WB shows: Why aren't people honest with the ones they love when the literal fate of the world is at stake? Clark and Lana and Martha and Jonothan... LIARS right up until honesty is almost too late to help. Sam and Dean, same thing. Dear God! Hurt someone's feelings, burden them so you can save the rest of us from burning in Hell/kneeling before Zod! Cripes...

I'm unsure if I want to check out Reaper. The chubby blonde guy with the beard has been in SO many failed sci-fi shows, bless him, so I don't hold out hope for any show he's in.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            Supernatural's great. It has that X-Files monster-of-the-week/mythos style, does Mark Snow do the music? I love how the first two seasons can basically be seen as a complete story; if it hadn't been renewed for a 3rd, viewers would still be satisfied. My one complaint is the same one I have with Smallville and these family/teen/pretty white superpeople with problems WB shows: Why aren't people honest with the ones they love when the literal fate of the world is at stake? Clark and Lana and Martha and Jonothan... LIARS right up until honesty is almost too late to help. Sam and Dean, same thing. Dear God! Hurt someone's feelings, burden them so you can save the rest of us from burning in Hell/kneeling before Zod! Cripes...
            Thaaaaank you. I can't stand the CW for that very reason. Also, they cancelled Veronica Mars, which was their most diverse/realistic show- easily the best family/teen show I've seen.

Smallville disgusts me for so many reasons. Ugh. I just don't want to watch anything on that channel, it's never given me a very good impression as a whole.

Comment

I used to love Smallville, back in the first season. The season finale was one of the best I'd seen in a while. EVERYONE was in peril! Well, except Chloe and Token Black Guy. Everyone important was in peril.

Too much drama and angst is a trademark of WB/CW shows. I had some gf's completely obsesssed with Dawson's Creek. I refuse.

Funny enough, I DID enjoy Roswell.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Excellent, looking forward to new quizzes! These laptops are handy things are they? My new macbook is coming this afternoon. *jumps up and down*
                Congrats Trek Girl, that's awesome.
                Two recommendations for Reaper--looks like I might have to check this one out too. Thanks.
                Make that 3 recommendations for Reaper Mariel. It is truly one the of the most original scifi // supernatural // comedy shows to come around in awhile. I am so physced that Reaper got renewed for a second season and that it is going to paired up with Supernatural on Thrusday nights. That will make for a great 1- 2 punch of cool television that night.
                I'm starting a new job on Wednesday, I finally found a job after months of searching! Other than a week off for Gatecon I don't know when I next get a holiday but I've had my fill of 'holiday' for a while now! The next one I hope will be a trip to San Francisco.
                WTGO on the new job Kris. I sure hope it doesn't mean you are going to abandon us here on GW and the superior thread.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Sad news about Don S. Davis. RIP Gen.

Comment

Yes, sad news about Don Davis.

I didn't even realize what channel Supernatural aired on, since I'm watching it on DVD. Probably a good thing, or it might've made me leary of it. I can't stand Smallville. It's like a teen soap opera with superpowers thrown in. I gave up on it a few eps into the first season. I don't like soap operas of any type.

Comment

RIP, Don

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

I didn't even realize what channel Supernatural aired on, since I'm watching it on DVD. Probably a good thing, or it might've made me leary of it. I can't stand Smallville. It's like a teen soap opera with superpowers thrown in. I gave up on it a few eps into the first season. I don't like soap operas of any type.
                        I never was a Smallville fan myself (we all share a lot of similar tastes in in scifi). My girlfriend loves the show so I reluctanly watch it regulary while trying to look like I am interested. Don't let the fact that both Supernatural and Reaper are on the CW Network. Anyone and everyone would be selling themselves short by avoiding either one of these shows because of the Network they appear on. I did this with Buffy the Vampire Slayer the first couple seasons because it was on the WB Network then UPN, both of which I never watched because most of there programming was crappy. I learned my lesson to never judge a show by the network it's on after that.
                        I'm unsure if I want to check out Reaper. The chubby blonde guy with the beard has been in SO many failed sci-fi shows, bless him, so I don't hold out hope for any show he's in.
                        I think this one just might surprise you brother nx - It's hilarious, interesting adult themes, uber sarcasm, and the devil himself (played by the great Ray Wise). Reaper is right up your alley considering the rye yet very funny sarcastic streak you have (Which I admire that by the way). And that chubby guy Tyler Labine is a great actor and even funnier comedienne. And those failed shows he was on were hardly his fault and the ones he did appear in he was great in all of them. At least give Reaper a try (4 or 5 episodes), and then make your judgement.
                        Excellent, looking forward to new quizzes! These laptops are handy things are they? My new macbook is coming this afternoon. *jumps up and down*
                        Congratulations on the new Laptop Lady Trek. Happiness is a shiny new computer!.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                          I never was a Smallville fan myself (we all share a lot of similar tastes in in scifi). My girlfriend loves the show so I reluctanly watch it regulary while trying to look like I am interested. Don't let the fact that both Supernatural and Reaper are on the CW Network. Anyone and everyone would be selling themselves short by avoiding either one of these shows because of the Network they appear on. I did this with Buffy the Vampire Slayer the first couple seasons because it was on the WB Network then UPN, both of which I never watched because most of there programming was crappy. I learned my lesson to never judge a show by the network it's on after that.
                          I think this one just might surprise you brother nx - It's hilarious, interesting adult themes, uber sarcasm, and the devil himself (played by the great Ray Wise). Reaper is right up your alley considering the rye yet very funny sarcastic streak you have (Which I admire that by the way). And that chubby guy Tyler Labine is a great actor and even funnier comedienne. And those failed shows he was on were hardly his fault and the ones he did appear in he was great in all of them. At least give Reaper a try (4 or 5 episodes), and then make your judgement.
                          Congratulations on the new Laptop Lady Trek. Happiness is a shiny new computer!.
                          Indeed it is, I'm having tons of fun.

Hmm, I had forgotten about Buffy on the WB(ugh).

Supernatural doesn't really grab me mainly because I'm not too keen on either of the lead actors, they're a tad too pretty boy and I found the bits of their acting that I've seen rather wooden. Plus one of them used the word "fugly" in the commercial. Which is on my list of most annoying words, and made me automatically not want to watch the show (yes, that's sad, I know ). Cant watch everything anyway.

Comment

Don S. Davis is dead?! Another good one gone.

Incidentally, today's my birthday. 28th.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Hmm, I had forgotten about Buffy on the WB(ugh).

Supernatural doesn't really grab me mainly because I'm not too keen on either of the lead actors, they're a tad too pretty boy and I found the bits of their acting that I've seen rather wooden. Plus one of them used the word "fugly" in the commercial. Which is on my list of most annoying words, and made me automatically not want to watch the show (yes, that's sad, I know ). Cant watch everything anyway.
                              I never could get into Buffy or Angel either. The only thing Joss has done (so far) that I like is Firefly.

I'd never seen the lead actors before, and I think they're pretty good. True enough on the pretty boy point, but at least they're kinda scruffy, which makes things better. I've never heard the word fugly before, and I'm just guessing at it's meaning, but I don't think I like it either.

Happy Birthday, or at least as happy as it can be.

Comment

Happy Birthday Brother nx. Any plans tonight my friend?.
                                Supernatural doesn't really grab me mainly because I'm not too keen on either of the lead actors, they're a tad too pretty boy and I found the bits of their acting that I've seen rather wooden.
                                That I completely agree agree with. -- Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles (aka Sam and Dean) leave a lot to be desired in the acting department.
                                Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                                Cant watch everything anyway.
                                Amen to that Lady Trek.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X