Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radiosgalore
    I'm told at the end of season 7 there will be like a 30 minute battle scene in the last episode. NICE

someone says DS9 and Stargate are 2 of the best and I have to agree. but one question. how does the final Battle compare to the Atlantis BAMSR battle?
    There are quite a few great space battles throughout season VII. But at the end of the series in the episodes The Dogs of War and What You Leave Behind you get a few epic space battles (ship to ship) that are simply breath taking. Those battle scenes come to life and are done in such a graceful and realistic way, they are beautiful to watch.

DS9 didn't just rely on CGI for there space battles, they used a combination of CGI and large scale models to create some very intense and realistic battles that are second to none (models lend a realism to special effects that you don't get with today's all CGI graphics). You have to remember that DS9 was made when CGI was still rather new, so for them to achieve what they did makes it all the more remarkable. I do envy the fact that season VII will be completely new for you when you watch it.
    Originally posted by radiosgalore View Post
    well thats season 6 finnished but...

Spoiler:
    WHY DID THEY HAVE TO KILL OFF DAX??!!! And poor Worf!
    Even though I don't consider Dax as one of my favorite characters, losing her hurt. Worf and her were a great couple and being together made them both better. That being said, Worf is very prominent throughout season VII and they even do a great episode early in season VII (Shadows and Symbols) where they make sure Dax gets in to Sto-Vo-Kor. Plus we do get a new Dax host (Ezri Dax) who turns out to be a very likable character in her own right.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I have a question maybe the knowlegeable posters on this thread can help me with. I have never seen the Star Trek animated series. Has anyone here watched it, and what did you think?

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
        I have a question maybe the knowlegeable posters on this thread can help me with. I have never seen the Star Trek animated series. Has anyone here watched it, and what did you think?
        Hello marie. Star Trek: The Animated Series is decent enough. It's geared more for children, but there are a handful of interesting storylines that play out. At least you get the real voices of the TOS cast playing there animated roles. It might be worth renting to see if you like it before investing any money into owning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
          Hello marie. Star Trek: The Animated Series is decent enough. It's geared more for children, but there are a handful of interesting storylines that play out. At least you get the real voices of the TOS cast playing there animated roles. It might be worth renting to see if you like it before investing any money into owning it.
          Thanks. I'm a Netlix member, so I think I'll add that to my queue there. I am setting aside money currently to buy DS9--the $300 price tag for the series is much more than I allow for my monthly entertainment budget. It will be worth it for the adventure of a lifetime, however.

To introduce myself a little further, my username is a little odd...it's an imaginary name Mariel Abbott, run together. I should have typed it properly when I made my account. But Marie is a nice name too.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            There are quite a few great space battles throughout season VII. But at the end of the series in the episodes The Dogs of War and What You Leave Behind you get a few epic space battles (ship to ship) that are simply breath taking. Those battle scenes come to life and are done in such a graceful and realistic way, they are beautiful to watch.

DS9 didn't just rely on CGI for there space battles, they used a combination of CGI and large scale models to create some very intense and realistic battles that are second to none (models lend a realism to special effects that you don't get with today's all CGI graphics). You have to remember that DS9 was made when CGI was still rather new, so for them to achieve what they did makes it all the more remarkable. I do envy the fact that season VII will be completely new for you when you watch it.
            Even though I don't consider Dax as one of my favorite characters, losing her hurt. Worf and her were a great couple and being together made them both better. That being said, Worf is very prominent throughout season VII and they even do a great episode early in season VII (Shadows and Symbols) where they make sure Dax gets in to Sto-Vo-Kor. Plus we do get a new Dax host (Ezri Dax) who turns out to be a very likable character in her own right.
            I always regret that we don't learn that much about Ezri. I did like her character. At first she nervous but slowly learns to trust herself.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I always regret that we don't learn that much about Ezri. I did like her character. At first she nervous but slowly learns to trust herself.
              I hear ya brother jelgate, Ezri really started to grow on me towards the end of the series.
              To introduce myself a little further, my username is a little odd...it's an imaginary name Mariel Abbott, run together. I should have typed it properly when I made my account. But Marie is a nice name too.
              Understood, I like both names (Marie and Mariel) although my ex-wife's name is Marie.

I own the Star Trek: The Animated Series DVD Box Set and watched it once all the way through. The animated series, like brother Starbase stated is "decent enough" and kind of "geared towards children". Definetly rent it before ever thinking about buying it.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                DS9 really took this idea one step further and the wonderfully warped Intendent Kira is by far the best of the AU characters in that universe for me! Interestingly AU Hoshi almost shares that honour with Kira for me as another fantastic portrayal of what could lie under the surface of anyone given different circumstances!
                Great comparison between the very sexy Intendant Kira and AU Hoshi. Throw in AU Ezri and you're talking one hot threesome. I'm getting a little excited just thinking about it right now.

In all seriousness, the AU we saw on various DS9 episodes and in the great 2 part ENT episode In a Mirror Darkly was very well done. My favorite AU episode of all-time is still the DS9 season VI legendary episode Far Beyond the Stars. I have that ranked in my top 10 (maybe top 5) all-time episodes from any of the various Trek series.
                Originally posted by Krisz
                After First Conact, The Voyage Home is my other top Trek movie. Having Kirk and co deal with the customs and quirks of a bygone era gave us some priceless moments. Spock dealing with the unruly punk on the bus, Kirk informing us that Spock did too much LDS!
                I love the movie The Voyage Home, sure it's rather silly and over the top (even for Star Trek), but it is highly entertaining and simply great fun to watch!. Some of my favorite moments from the movie include ... Kirk's "double dumb-ass on you" and "too much LDS." (like Kris mentioned) We get Spock's bumbling attempts at 20th Century "colorful metaphor" patois. Scotty's interaction with an apparently magical '80s-vintage Macintosh is up there with Chekov's "noo-clee-ur wessels." - Shatner and Nimoy's improvisational response to "Do either of you like Italian?" is a jewel of a moment. I also loved the "Double Dumbass" uttered by Kirk on the bus as well as the scene where Spock jumps in and swims with the whales at the aquarium so he could mind meld with one of them.
                Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                I rank DS9 and Stargate as the 2 greatest scifi series of all-time.
                Originally posted by Krisz
                As do I.
                As do I!.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Great comparison between the very sexy Intendant Kira and AU Hoshi. Throw in AU Ezri and you're talking one hot threesome. I'm getting a little excited just thinking about it right now.

In all seriousness, the AU we saw on various DS9 episodes and in the great 2 part ENT episode In a Mirror Darkly was very well done. My favorite AU episode of all-time is still the DS9 season VI legendary episode Far Beyond the Stars. I have that ranked in my top 10 (maybe top 5) all-time episodes from any of the various Trek series.
                  I love the movie The Voyage Home, sure it's rather silly and over the top (even for Star Trek), but it is highly entertaining and simply great fun to watch!. Some of my favorite moments from the movie include ... Kirk's "double dumb-ass on you" and "too much LDS." (like Kris mentioned) We get Spock's bumbling attempts at 20th Century "colorful metaphor" patois. Scotty's interaction with an apparently magical '80s-vintage Macintosh is up there with Chekov's "noo-clee-ur wessels." - Shatner and Nimoy's improvisational response to "Do either of you like Italian?" is a jewel of a moment. I also loved the "Double Dumbass" uttered by Kirk on the bus as well as the scene where Spock jumps in and swims with the whales at the aquarium so he could mind meld with one of them.

As do I!.
                  LOL well said fifth about voyage home, a great romp (being LDS myself, I always get a giggle out of Spock having done too much LDS in the sixties! )
                  Now if you would relax over the AU ladies *elbows the guys to make them behave and NOT scare off the newbie*
                  Hello marie and welcome
                  I agree with jelgate that ezri wasn't well developed to begin with, but she grew on me too.

Comment

Hey, what about Leeta?!

Fine, I'll behave

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                      Hey, what about Leeta?!

Fine, I'll behave
                      guys that's a dream come true
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I’m a great fan of the Dax character, loved the episodes that dealt with Dax’s previous hosts and how each host shaped the symbiont and eachother in turn. I agree wholeheartedly with you Fifth Race about how good Worf and Jadzia Dax were together.

Couldn’t agree more Jelgate. I think they did a great job with Ezri in the short time we saw her. It’s another example of how skillfully DS9’s writers could give us a meaningful well developed character in what seems like an impossibly short time. It’s one of the things that makes DS9 stand out of the crowd for me as a tv show. SG-1 had the same gift of character development although not so much in the last two seasons. DS9 was consistently good at this.

Thanks. I'm a Netlix member, so I think I'll add that to my queue there. I am setting aside money currently to buy DS9--the $300 price tag for the series is much more than I allow for my monthly entertainment budget. It will be worth it for the adventure of a lifetime, however.

You won’t regret spending the money on the series box set, I’m really enjoying watching it again after so many years and I can do it at my leisure this time round. No waiting a week anymore for the next great episode!

Not sure if I’ve welcomed you yet, but just in case, consider yourself soundly welcomed Marielabbott!

My GW name is short for my middle name which is Krisztina. I went for Krisz because whether I like it or not, officially that is my middle name now on all official Canadian records. When I arrived in Canada and had to do all the immigration papers at Vancouver airport I asked the Immigration officer why she only put in Krisz as my middle name as I went to correct her error. I was informed that my full name wouldn’t fit in the field on the computer record!! So I’m now stuck with this name on my Permanent Resident's card, drivers licence, medical card, bank cards, you name it, even though that’s not the name in my British passport and birth certificate!!! The question I wanted to ask but thought better of it was what the Canadian immigration computers do with some of the other incredibly longer and exotic names that many new immigrants to this wonderful country have!!!

I love the movie The Voyage Home, sure it's rather silly and over the top (even for Star Trek), but it is highly entertaining and simply great fun to watch!.

Some of my favorite moments from the movie include ... Chekov's "noo-clee-ur wessels."
                        Aaaah yes, isn't it, but it does 'over the top' and 'silly' splendidly!!!

Oh my! How could I forget to mention that immortal line?! LOL!

Comment

I’m a great fan of the Dax character, loved the episodes that dealt with Dax’s previous hosts and how each host shaped the symbiont and eachother in turn. I agree wholeheartedly with you Fifth Race about how good Worf and Jadzia Dax were together.

Couldn’t agree more Jelgate. I think they did a great job with Ezri in the short time we saw her. It’s another example of how skillfully DS9’s writers could give us a meaningful well developed character in what seems like an impossibly short time. It’s one of the things that makes DS9 stand out of the crowd for me as a tv show. SG-1 had the same gift of character development although not so much in the last two seasons. DS9 was consistently good at this.

You won’t regret spending the money on the series box set, I’m really enjoying watching it again after so many years and I can do it at my leisure this time round. No waiting a week anymore for the next great episode!

Not sure if I’ve welcomed you yet, but just in case, consider yourself soundly welcomed Marielabbott!

My GW name is short for my middle name which is Krisztina. I went for Krisz because whether I like it or not, officially that is my middle name now on all official Canadian records. When I arrived in Canada and had to do all the immigration papers at Vancouver airport I asked the Immigration officer why she only put in Krisz as my middle name as I went to correct her error. I was informed that my full name wouldn’t fit in the field on the computer record!! So I’m now stuck with this name on my Permanent Resident's card, drivers licence, medical card, bank cards, you name it, even though that’s not the name in my British passport and birth certificate!!! The question I wanted to ask but thought better of it was what the Canadian immigration computers do with some of the other incredibly longer and exotic names that many new immigrants to this wonderful country have!!!

Aaaah yes, isn't it, but it does 'over the top' and 'silly' splendidly!!!

Oh my! How could I forget to mention that immortal line?! LOL!
                          I agree with you wholeheartedly about Dax and Worf...what a great couple. I personally thought it was the best pairing in trek (followed closely by tom paris and b'elanna torres) and how I cried when she died!

My GW name is short for my first name... Rachelle ... pronounced in the french way. An old boyfriend called me Rac and used the term affectionately. I just get tired of telling people how to say my first name ( Ra- Shell) and get sick of being called Rachel but I am a stinker who corrects it (you should see the look on the law profs faces... )

Comment

I think you may have been dealing with a... how would they say it in Quebec... le moron. I've never travelled outside Canada and the US, but I've happened across that particular boarder many a time, and I've yet to have a pleasant experience with a Customs and Immigration official from either country. Either that job wears people to the point where they become but a thin filament of their former selves, or it attracts a lot of idiots.

Comment

It helps to be born there with crazy long middle names.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                                Now if you would relax over the AU ladies *elbows the guys to make them behave and NOT scare off the newbie*
                                Hello marie and welcome
                                Thanks for the welcome. Nice use of elbows too, though I don't think I would be on GW at all if I scared too easily.

I agree. DS9 is just brilliant at developing characters. Even the recurring characters that might be one-note players in a lesser series get their share of development. Rom could have been relagated to just Quark's goofy brother, instead we get to see other sides of him.

I think it will definitely be money well spent, but I do have to spend a little while saving up. But that will make it even more enjoyable when I have the set on my shelf, I'll feel like I earned it.

Wow. That's one crazy immigration experience. At least your first name wasn't too long for their short computer fields...er, right?

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                                I agree with you wholeheartedly about Dax and Worf...what a great couple. I personally thought it was the best pairing in trek (followed closely by tom paris and b'elanna torres) and how I cried when she died!

My GW name is short for my first name... Rachelle ... pronounced in the french way. An old boyfriend called me Rac and used the term affectionately. I just get tired of telling people how to say my first name ( Ra- Shell) and get sick of being called Rachel but I am a stinker who corrects it (you should see the look on the law profs faces... )
                                Rachelle is a lovely name, I'm sorry people have trouble pronouncing it.

I really like the Dax/Worf pairing too. I think it can be difficult to do romance in sci-fi, and in my opinion DS9 managed to do it the best of any sci-fi show I've ever seen. Well, I'm not a big fan of the stand-alone romances (I watched A Simple Investigation last night which featured Odo's ill-fated first romance), but the pairings that they develop over seasons are generally believable and really well-done.

Comment

Working...
                                X