Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rac80
    I have been interested in Amsterdam myself
    I like it Lady Rac (enough to start an appreciation thread). The Pilot episode was ok but the second episode which helped explain Det. John's (the main characters) back story, was much better. There are elements of the storyline where the writers found a unique way to show takes on John's life situation's that I never saw coming, which is a great thing!. The minor characters all seem very interesting as well. IMHO it has good potential.
    Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
    Oh for the honorable mentions... anyone remember Time Tunnel (60's)? or Sliders? I loved the original outer limits and twilight zones...don't like the remakes. then there was invaders (in the 60's) my favorite Martian - talk about a comedy scifi! what about 3rd rock? the land before time? lol
    I remember Sliders and Time Tunnel in re-runs. I never cared much for Outer Limits but I did love the Twilight Zone. I loved The Land Before Time and 3rd Rock.
    Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    10.Star Wars (Original 3 movies)
    I'm loving the wandering down memory lane, recalling the wonderful Sci Fi shows we all loved to watch.
    It is fun "wandering down memory lane", isn't it. ..... How could I forget Star Wars (very easily) Good catch Krisz. I would have ranked Star Wars (Original 3) in my honarable mentions.
    Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
    Great show too, #11 for me.
    If it was'nt for the that debacle they called season 5, Andromeda would have been much higher rated (maybe #6) on my list. I still have Magog Nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
      Anyone remember SeaQuest? I used to watch that many years ago, and I loved it. Though I'm not sure whether that was because it was actually good or because I was young and didn't know any better
      Yes! You took the words out of my mouth--I loved it then, but I was fairly young, so I'm not sure how it would hold up to my viewing now.

Did anyone see Threshold, a sci-fi alien invasion thriller on CBS a few years ago? Brent Spiner was one of the stars. I enjoyed it and was disappointed it was cancelled, even before one full season.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
        Yes! You took the words out of my mouth--I loved it then, but I was fairly young, so I'm not sure how it would hold up to my viewing now.

Did anyone see Threshold, a sci-fi alien invasion thriller on CBS a few years ago? Brent Spiner was one of the stars. I enjoyed it and was disappointed it was cancelled, even before one full season.
        I watched Threshold, as well as the other three sci-fi shows they launched at the same time. All of them got canceled. Now that's just cruel!

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
        The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Has anybody else noticed that most our lists all look kind of similar, I know its not that big a stretch, but there is no denying good taste when its staring you in the face. This group here on the DS9 thread is second to none.
          I loved Threshold!, great call Mariel. I was so dissappointed when they canceled that show. The ratings were good, but the cost per episode was to high for CBS to keep it. I would have loved to have seen where a season 2 would have taken the storyline.
          I watched Threshold, as well as the other three sci-fi shows they launched at the same time. All of them got canceled. Now that's just cruel!
          It sure was brother ./freelancer!. I was in scifi heaven in 2006 when Threshold (CBS), Surface (NBC) and Invasion (ABC) all premiered at the same time. I watched and loved all 3 of the shows.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Babylon 5! I KNEW my list was missing something! Put that one right below Trek on my list. Maybe right above. No, right below. No wait....

(this is why I try not to make numbered lists)

Comment

Anyone remember SeaQuest? I used to watch that many years ago, and I loved it. Though I'm not sure whether that was because it was actually good or because I was young and didn't know any better
              I watched it and thought it wasn't too bad to start with and liked the way it tried to cover the then current interest in all things oceanic. Although catching an episode by chance quite recently it didn't hold up well to the test of time. The sets looked poorly made and the acting and the script wasn't all that great on occasion. Surprising for a show that had Steven Spielberg associated with it initially.

I did like the look of the Seaquest itself though and the interesting marine trivia given at the end of each episode in season 1 by the man who discovered the Titanic, Bob Ballard himself! Given this great support in the background to start with it was a shame it didn't really live up to the expectations. It was an interesting idea.

Speaking of Spielberg, I used to love watching 'Amazing Stories'. Left you with some interesting food for thought at the end of each episode.

Even though I've tended to prefer American Sci Fi shows to British ones generally there are a load of British shows I did like. I have to mention one of my favourite British Sci Fi shows after Dr Who was a show called 'Sapphire & Steel'. This was really off the wall and creepy but riveting, has anyone else ever seen it? My favourite shows as a kid alongside Star Trek TOS were 'Fireball XL5' 'Thunderbirds' and 'Stingray'. 'UFO' and 'Space 1999' were shows I liked too.

Now for a really obscure show that came to mind after talking about the Gerry Anderson puppet shows. Does anyone recall a show called 'Space Precinct' that was his foray into a live action show? I actually liked it although it was generally slated at the time.

I don't recall ever hearing about 'Threshold' at all. I must have missed it as I'd just left the UK as it aired there according to what I looked up on the good old web and I don't know if it was ever shown in Canada.

I've looked up 'New Amsterdam' and it sounds a bit like 'Highlander' without the decapitation aspect!! A bit more of 'The Sentinel' as the cop with a secret gift, oh, another show I liked by the way! I'll check out 'New Amsterdam'

Wow, I've really run off down memory lane here!! LOL!

Comment

just a friendly reminder: the DS9 Season 1 Tournament
                sigpic
                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                  I haven't seen this show yet but I have all the episodes recorded on my Tivo. I think I am going to give it a try on your recommendation.
                  It's well worth it- the "Pie-lette" is one of the best hours of television I have ever seen. This show just manages to walk the line of being really sweet, but without being cloyingly so. And I love the death humour.
                  I whole heartedly agree, the second season has been much better. I got one question though ... Is everyone in the Torchwood universe bi-sexual?.

The second season has actually had humour to it, which I love- though I've been quite busy lately so I'm only up to episode seven which I'm having trouble finding at the moment, I'll have to dig a a little further- I'm desperate to see it after the ending of episode 6.

The Peace Keeper Wars which wraps up the Farscape storyline quite well, is definetly worth renting or buying. Highly entertaining!.
                  I bought it nearly two years ago but I haven't watched it yet because I haven't seen the last few eps of season four. It's painfully teasing, sitting with the rest of my DVDs. I'm going to have to see if I can find a rental place that has Farscape so I can finish.
                  Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                  I like all these shows, but if I had to put them in a list, I think this is how I'd do it:

1) Firefly (cancelled)
                  2) Star Trek
                  3) BSG2003
                  4) Farscape (cancelled)
                  5) Heroes
                  6) Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicals (HOPEFULLY not cancelled, but we'll see)
                  7) Stargate
                  8) Doctor Who/Torchwood
                  9) Highlander: The Series
                  10) The Dresden Files (cancelled)

There are others that I don't mind. I've only seen a few episodes of Jeremiah, The 4400 (cancelled), and Jericho (cancelled), and they look interesting. I liked both Buffy and Angel.

I've never seen a truly great Fantasy TV series. I'd really like one, but I'm not sure they are technically feasible yet. LiveAction + CGI is incredibly expensive, and pure animated series (with top notch animation) even moreso. I don't think any Fantasy show could support 60 million dollars per 45 minute episode. However, as (real) animation and Live + CGI costs continue drop, I'm sure we'll start to decent fantasy series pop up all over the place.
                  Cross your fingers that a Truly Great Fantasy Series is coming soon- as I understand it George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" is going to become a series for HBO. Which I think sounds brilliant. If any series belongs on the screen this one does, but a feature film franchise would be impossible to carry off- there's too much material. Make each book into a thirteen episode season on a channel where they wouldn't have to water it down.....I really hope this works. And if you haven't read the series, I strongly recommend it- I'm partway through the fourth and final one that's published so far and they are brilliant; I'm almost ready to declare this series better than The Lord of the Rings.

Also, something that is definitely coming this year is a new vampire show by Alan Ball (creator/writer of the amazing "Six Feet Under") for HBO called "True Blood", which I am definitely looking forward to. That's also based off a book series that I haven't read yet, but plan to.

Good mentions on TSCC- I haven't watched the last two eps pf the season yet, have them on tape, I'd certainly include that on my honourable mentions list, along with The Dresden Files, which was iffy but entertaining- some of the acting was absolutely dreadful though, but I love the idea of the ghost living in the skull.

I saw some and didn't like it- bland, boring plot, dull characters.....even Brent Spiner couldn't keep me interested. SPACE sure seems to have repeated it a lot lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    Even though I've tended to prefer American Sci Fi shows to British ones generally there are a load of British shows I did like. I have to mention one of my favourite British Sci Fi shows after Dr Who was a show called 'Sapphire & Steel'. This was really off the wall and creepy but riveting, has anyone else ever seen it? My favourite shows as a kid alongside Star Trek TOS were 'Fireball XL5' 'Thunderbirds' and 'Stingray'. 'UFO' and 'Space 1999' were shows I liked too.
                    I really want to see "Sapphire & Steel" after reading a comparison between it and Stephen Moffat episodes of Doctor Who.

I tried watching SeaQuest and couldn't get through ten minutes of it, same with Andromeda- I've tried watching that several times and never made it past the first few minutes of each ep I tried. I'd just start cringing right away.

And there was a mention by someone of Quantum Leap- we've got the first season around here somewhere and I haven't watched it yet, oddly.

Comment

yep i remember it and I recently caught a few episodes on scifi...it didn't stand the test of time. too preachy, bad sets & bad acting (the delouis brothers were the only high point of the show.). On a somber note, Roy Scheider of seaquest, 2010, and Jaws (a wink to ronon) fame died recently. while i couldn't stand 2001, I loved 2010... great movie!
                      ok nite all

Comment

Wow, I miss one day and look at all the fun you guys had with making all-time scifi franchise lists. Like my wife tells me all the time, "you are always the last one to show up"
                        Has anybody else noticed that most our lists all look kind of similar, I know its not that big a stretch, but there is no denying good taste when its staring you in the face. This group here on the DS9 thread is second to none.
                        That, I completely agree with!. With our tight family here on the superior thread, we would kick some serious scifi azz.

My list is also going to familiar .....
                        1] Star Trek - Not only the biggest, but the best!
                        2] Stargate (Atlantis as well) - Near and dear to my heart, very close to Trek
                        3] Farscape - Sexy, twisted and very smart
                        4] Andromeda - Capt. Dylan Hunt and crew rock!
                        5] Firefly - Unique and fun, I love this show
                        6] Lost - Interesting and getting better
                        7] Babylon 5 - 1rst season was cheesy, then it got great
                        8] Threshold - This show had a ton of potential
                        9] Battlestar Galactica - I didn't care for it originally, but after watching it on DVD I love it!
                        10] Star Wars - The original 3 were epic, the last 3 were ok
                        11] Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I loved the musical episode and Spike. A wonderfully twisted show
                        12] Dr. Who/Torchwood - I'm not sold on Torchwood yet, but the Dr. rocks!
                        13] Blade the Series - Thank's to brother Starbase for loaning me his DVD Box Set of this wicked show.
                        14] Eureka - I'm looking forward to season III
                        15] Jeremiah - I wish I could find the shortened 2nd season on DVD.

Honorable mentions ..... Heroes - The 4400 - Alien Nation - Twilight Zone - Night Gallery - Tales from the Crypt - X-Files - The Dresden Files - V - Surface - Invasion
                        The USS Defiant Rocks!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

I must be a loser. The only SciFi I watch is Trek and Gate. Sorry to say I am a Gate fan first.

EDIT: I watch BSG, but I don't have the same dedication that I have for Trek and Gate
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I must be a loser. The only SciFi I watch is Trek and Gate. Sorry to say I am a Gate fan first.

EDIT: I watch BSG, but I don't have the same dedication that I have for Trek and Gate
                            can't call yourself a loser since you stick to the best only! like many of us, you probably have limited time! I only watch SGA these days or the occassional trek episode that i happen to catch (usually while fixing dinner). my hubby likes Bones and Law & order, but we tape them and watch them on the weekends (although with bones moved to fridays, he watches it before SGA.) I spend most of my time reading for classes.
                            I know once BSG comes back that will be our new friday night show (I am not a huge fan...it's too much like a soap for me! ) but I do own all of SG1 and SGA on dvds. Eagerly waiting on the ark of truth too!

Comment

On a somber note, Roy Scheider of seaquest, 2010, and Jaws (a wink to ronon) fame died recently. while i couldn't stand 2001, I loved 2010... great movie!
                              ok nite all
                              I love your sleep emoticon Lady Rachelle.

Brother's Fifth, Starbase and myself both lamented the death of Roy Schieder. We were all big fans of his. Some of my favorite Roy movies are -- Jaws .. All That Jazz .. The French Connection .. Blue Thunder .. 2010. My absolute favorite Roy Scheider movie is a rather obscure 1977 film called Sorcerer, which is a remake of the even greater original French film directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot and starring Yves Montand - Le Salaire de la peur or (The Wages of Fear). It tells the story of four desperate men hired by an oil company to drive two trucks packed with volatile explosives (Nitroglycerin) along a rickety road through a jungle to extinguish an oil well fire. They are both two of the very best movies I have ever seen.
                              The USS Defiant Rocks!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

can't call yourself a loser since you stick to the best only! like many of us, you probably have limited time! I only watch SGA these days or the occassional trek episode that i happen to catch (usually while fixing dinner). my hubby likes Bones and Law & order, but we tape them and watch them on the weekends (although with bones moved to fridays, he watches it before SGA.) I spend most of my time reading for classes.
                                I know once BSG comes back that will be our new friday night show (I am not a huge fan...it's too much like a soap for me! ) but I do own all of SG1 and SGA on dvds. Eagerly waiting on the ark of truth too!
                                I love Bones- I started watching it in the strike void, such a great sense of humour and quirky characters. I love Brennan's literalness.

Comment

Working...
                                X