Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    You know.... you have your opinion, so I'm not going to belittle it. And only you know how you'll feel. But I do find it a strange response, personally.

Spoiler:

As for "Attracting", it doesn't mean that she's necessarily reciprocated. I suppose that's what you're hoping for.

Myself... I don't mind either way, really. I trust these guys enough not to use it as a "We Have A Bisexual Lead" publicity stunt.[

As I say... it's not nagging. I'm just genuinely curious because I've never seen this sort of response before.
    I haven't heard the interview but I trust AT to not advocate a publicity stunt approach. As for the network...who knows. As for
    Spoiler:
    Helen attracting women, heck--who wouldn't fall for her? I'm straight but I've fallen for her in an "isn't she cool" gushing fan sort of way.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      I haven't heard the interview but I trust AT to not advocate a publicity stunt approach. As for the network...who knows. As for
      Spoiler:
      Helen attracting women, heck--who wouldn't fall for her? I'm straight but I've fallen for her in an "isn't she cool" gushing fan sort of way.
      Spoiler:
      I personally think the words were chosen carefully and specifically. It's far more natural to say "Helen's been attracted to women" than it is to say "Women have been attracted to Helen". It implies something more like the Tesla or Watson relationship to me. That they fawn over Helen, but Helen's too focused (again, maybe not the right word) to really notice that.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
        After how they caved in to network's demands regarding Ashley's demise, is it so unconceivable that Sanctuary TPTB would cave in if the network execs would propose the " We Have a Bisexual Lead" publicity stunt?
        I'm still confused as to Ashley's departure from the series. Did the network demand that Ashley be replaced with another character, or was it because of Emilie's injury that she was replaced? Or some combination of both?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          I'm still confused as to Ashley's departure from the series. Did the network demand that Ashley be replaced with another character, or was it because of Emilie's injury that she was replaced? Or some combination of both?
          According to an interview with Damian, it was a combination of network suggestion and creative decision. In an interview with Emilie Ullerup she mentioned the network, so naturally the ones that are upset by the whole thing are crying 'Network Demands', but IMHO, we don't know the entire story, nor will we probably ever.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
            According to an interview with Damian, it was a combination of network suggestion and creative decision. In an interview with Emilie Ullerup she mentioned the network, so naturally the ones that are upset by the whole thing are crying 'Network Demands', but IMHO, we don't know the entire story, nor will we probably ever.
            I tend to believe the injured party's story not PTB's spin.

Comment

Three sides to every story. TPTB, the "injured party" and the truth. Personally, and I hate to say this but I think Emilie may have at least partially damaged her reputation in pointing fingers at the network. At least, however, she didn't point them at her direct bosses.

Anyway... I was going to say that I agree with Antoa. And I'll add something else. Having followed Sanctuary since the beginning and seen the things they have bowed to and the things that they've stuck their heels in on, I don't think TPTB would make any decision that they didn't think would help their show. They wouldn't bow to the network without a fight if it were wrong.

At the end of the day, they would have looked at the benefits. They always wanted to facilitate a shift towards the darker Magnus. They wanted to make the show unconventional and with that element of danger and risk. The suggestion made by the network fit with the vision of the show that they had.

It may well have been a 90% / 10% split on the network/creative. But we don't know that. There's no proof. And it's incredibly disrespectful and unfair to suggest otherwise.
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

She's an actress, she knows the business and is hardly 'the injured party'. She said that she left on good terms and would be happy to come back to the show. I am not saying she is being deceitful. It is possible that she was not privy to the process and doesn't know the whole story. Finger pointing is useless. What's done is done and there doesn't seem to be any ill will between EU and the TPTB.

Comment

Thanks. Whatever the reason, I miss Ashley. Though her being gone certainly won't keep me from watching the show.

Comment

there is a massive difference between 'a person is appealing to people of all gender preferences' and 'helen is gay'

Seriously, do you think that every one of brittney spears fans are het males??? Or Patrick Swayze's are all het females???

so a lesbian might find helen attractive. big deal. same if a gay guy found will gorgous.

appeal knows no boundaries
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                      Three sides to every story. TPTB, the "injured party" and the truth. Personally, and I hate to say this but I think Emilie may have at least partially damaged her reputation in pointing fingers at the network. At least, however, she didn't point them at her direct bosses.

Anyway... I was going to say that I agree with Antoa. And I'll add something else. Having followed Sanctuary since the beginning and seen the things they have bowed to and the things that they've stuck their heels in on, I don't think TPTB would make any decision that they didn't think would help their show. They wouldn't bow to the network without a fight if it were wrong.

At the end of the day, they would have looked at the benefits. They always wanted to facilitate a shift towards the darker Magnus. They wanted to make the show unconventional and with that element of danger and risk. The suggestion made by the network fit with the vision of the show that they had.

It may well have been a 90% / 10% split on the network/creative. But we don't know that. There's no proof. And it's incredibly disrespectful and unfair to suggest otherwise.
                      She's an actress, she knows the business and is hardly 'the injured party'. She said that she left on good terms and would be happy to come back to the show. I am not saying she is being deceitful. It is possible that she was not privy to the process and doesn't know the whole story. Finger pointing is useless. What's done is done and there doesn't seem to be any ill will between EU and the TPTB.
                      Yes, finger pointing is useless. However in your attempts to backup TPTB you both are tending to slight and finger point at EU which is rather hypocritical.

No one knows what actually happened besides the people involved in the decision making process, so maybe everyone should backoff.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                        Yes, finger pointing is useless. However in your attempts to backup TPTB you both are tending to slight and finger point at EU which is rather hypocritical.

No one knows what actually happened besides the people involved in the decision making process, so maybe everyone should backoff.
                        Did you miss the part of my post when I said "I am not saying she is being deceitful"

That sure doesn't sound like I am finger pointing. Because I am not. We don't know the whole story. Maybe EU's comment in her interview was just an oversimplification of what she knew of the situation. Maybe TPTB are indeed blowing smoke up our asses. We don't know.

To me, 'finger pointing' at Emilie would go something like 'OMG she is such a liar! How dare she! TPTB can do no wrong!'

I was simply trying to offer another reason for the discrepancies in the 2 stories other than pointing the finger at TPTB and calling them liars.
                        Last edited by antoa; 09 November 2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Did you miss the part of my post when I said "I am not saying she is being deceitful"

That sure doesn't sound like I am finger pointing. Because I am not. We don't know the whole story. Maybe EU's comment in her interview was just an oversimplification of what she knew of the situation. Maybe TPTB are indeed blowing smoke up our asses. We don't know.

To me, 'finger pointing' at Emilie would go something like 'OMG she is such a liar! How dare she! TPTB can do no wrong!'

I was simply trying to offer another reason for the discrepancies in the 2 stories other than pointing the finger at TPTB and calling them liars.
                          No, I didn't miss that part nor the part that immediately followed - "It is possible that she was not privy to the process and doesn't know the whole story."

Which even if you didn't intend it, could have the connotation that Emilie doesn't know what she is talking about (a slight), which in turn could be a euphemism for lying. Not your intention, I'm sure, all I'm asking for is for everyone to back off the subject because the fangirl defense can be as equally offensive as the rabid TPTB attacks. After all we both agree that no one but those involved actually knows what happened.
                          -

Comment

So because a statement of mine *could have* been taken one way, which then in turn *could have* been taken to mean 'lying', means that I was calling her a liar and pointing a finger at her. A bit of a stretch if you ask me. Especially considering I made it a point to actually say that I wasn't meaning to call her deceitful (i.e not pointing a finger at her).

Comment

I'm not going to drag the thread possibly off topic, so I'll just repeat something I said before and if anyone has issue with my previous posts then please take it to PM.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                there is a massive difference between 'a person is appealing to people of all gender preferences' and 'helen is gay'

Seriously, do you think that every one of brittney spears fans are het males??? Or Patrick Swayze's are all het females???

so a lesbian might find helen attractive. big deal. same if a gay guy found will gorgous.

appeal knows no boundaries
                                That's how I took that part of AT's interview, that with the kind of woman Helen is she must have attracted a variety of people. And it could provide some interesting beats for AT to play, which would be fun to see.

Re EU leaving the show, I agree that we'll probably never know the whole story, so we, as fans, should be cautious about where we assign responsibility for the decision.
                                Last edited by EvenstarSRV; 10 November 2009, 07:45 AM. Reason: unnecessary speculation on my part

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X