Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
    I agree, and it's one of the things which has worried me generally since Sanctuary moved to Scifi. Cause the writers weren't the only thing that changed in the later years of SG1.
    Though they managed to avoid this mostly, as you say, on Sanctuary so far. And I can see how, for a larger market, Will might have been the character The Suits felt the audience would most likely empathize with and so they did do a lot of work with him. I find it interesting, though, there seems to be less Will specific fanfic than anything else, indicating I think he tends to spark the imagination of fans less than others.

But, you know, who cares about that... these are, after all, the guys who thought changing I's to Y's was creative and clever (it's only creative when JM does it.)
    I had to laugh when I read Joe's blog. I had no issues reading his altered words...very cool!! It boggles the mind that SyFy changed their name and for what??? It does nothing. It's just silly...IMHO of course!
    Does anyone know if SyFy have a huge say in how the story plays out and what direction it goes in??
    Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    On the fanfic issue, I personally find Will quite bland. For me, he's little other than a device. If I want a certain narrative perspective, I will use him, but I find him really difficult to peg. He doesn't really seem to have a voice to me, he's just an observer. But my other problem is that my personal fic obsession is way off in the past, before Will existed. Having said that, I think it's quite interesting that so many writers, including myself, find it easier to write Watson and Tesla than they do Will.
    I don't mind Will...although that's probably more me not minding Robin...although admittedly, the character of Will is a smidge dry...but just a smidge!! But there's always room for improvement right??
    Now Tesla and Watson...OMG...I adore these characters...especially Watson. Tesla is quite unique in his own sadistic sick little way. But I love his charm!! If that's what you can call it!!
    Watson has me squeeing like a school girl. That man is just delicious...I'm torn between him and Druitt.
    Oh no wait...I'm happy for Helen to have Druitt...I'd be more than happy to jump in and save Watson!!
    That's probably why they are easy to write...and read about!! There's so much more to these characters other than just their abilities. And I think that's what Will is lacking. He needs something more other than his relatively calm demeanor. He needs a little bit of spicing up...any volunteers??
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
      I had to laugh when I read Joe's blog. I had no issues reading his altered words...very cool!! It boggles the mind that SyFy changed their name and for what??? It does nothing. It's just silly...IMHO of course!
      Does anyone know if SyFy have a huge say in how the story plays out and what direction it goes in??

I don't mind Will...although that's probably more me not minding Robin...although admittedly, the character of Will is a smidge dry...but just a smidge!! But there's always room for improvement right??
      Now Tesla and Watson...OMG...I adore these characters...especially Watson. Tesla is quite unique in his own sadistic sick little way. But I love his charm!! If that's what you can call it!!
      Watson has me squeeing like a school girl. That man is just delicious...I'm torn between him and Druitt.
      Oh no wait...I'm happy for Helen to have Druitt...I'd be more than happy to jump in and save Watson!!
      That's probably why they are easy to write...and read about!! There's so much more to these characters other than just their abilities. And I think that's what Will is lacking. He needs something more other than his relatively calm demeanor. He needs a little bit of spicing up...any volunteers??
      The SyFy thing, though... one of my friends told me it's because they ran into legal issues. Something about them not being allowed to use a genre as a brand name, so they had to change it from SciFi to something else. I don't know though, because they've been going a long time so far with no issues!!

In a lot of ways, I wish the plot twist at the end of season one had happened to Will and not Ashley. Without giving too much away, I know that with it being Ashley, it makes more sense and will affect more people, but had it been Will, at least we would have... you know... cared for him a bit more. Ashley, though her character doesn't gel completely, at least has character and something to explore. But, interestingly, there is as little Ashley fic as there is Will fic. So I think there's definitely something in The Five... the chemistry and the subtleties and the history.

Most of the Ashley fic and Will fic I see is ship fic rather than an exploration of the character in their own right. Though I would say that there are a couple of superb pieces for each.

The one I'd like to see more fic for in his own right, rather than in terms of a ship, is Henry. He's a fabulous character to play with. Yes, I think a lot of his character does need someone to bounce off for the wit and awkwardness, but it doesn't necessarily have to be ship.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post

The SyFy thing, though... one of my friends told me it's because they ran into legal issues. Something about them not being allowed to use a genre as a brand name, so they had to change it from SciFi to something else. I don't know though, because they've been going a long time so far with no issues!!

In a lot of ways, I wish the plot twist at the end of season one had happened to Will and not Ashley. Without giving too much away, I know that with it being Ashley, it makes more sense and will affect more people, but had it been Will, at least we would have... you know... cared for him a bit more. Ashley, though her character doesn't gel completely, at least has character and something to explore. But, interestingly, there is as little Ashley fic as there is Will fic. So I think there's definitely something in The Five... the chemistry and the subtleties and the history.

Most of the Ashley fic and Will fic I see is ship fic rather than an exploration of the character in their own right. Though I would say that there are a couple of superb pieces for each.

The one I'd like to see more fic for in his own right, rather than in terms of a ship, is Henry. He's a fabulous character to play with. Yes, I think a lot of his character does need someone to bounce off for the wit and awkwardness, but it doesn't necessarily have to be ship.

Comment

I love the Henry/BigFoot relationship, and think it's one of the better ones on the show. As with Watson and Druitt, there's such a comfort and depth there that I always feel we're only seeing the barest bit of on the show. And one day that particular bunny will have babies (I refuse to call them Nubbins as I can't even make myself rewatch that episode)

Comment

The change to SyFy was definitely due to the inability to trademark SciFi (since it's too broad and, like Tracy said, a genre). The loss of the saturn logo makes me weep.

My suggestion, if they want to 'brand' themselves, why not start actually playing more scifi shows. They are seriously headed towards an MTV (2% music 98% reality).

Comment

On the fanfic issue, I personally find Will quite bland. For me, he's little other than a device. If I want a certain narrative perspective, I will use him, but I find him really difficult to peg. He doesn't really seem to have a voice to me, he's just an observer. But my other problem is that my personal fic obsession is way off in the past, before Will existed. Having said that, I think it's quite interesting that so many writers, including myself, find it easier to write Watson and Tesla than they do Will.
              IMHO they probably thought they needed one "normal" one in there, but the thing is he's not that interesting. I can see having him as a device for getting to know the Sanctuary from an outsider's perspective, but that can only last so long. I notice they gave him a bit of a superpower in the show.

I'm actually surprised how much I like Henry in the show (even before his being an "abnormal" was revealed.)

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post

My suggestion, if they want to 'brand' themselves, why not start actually playing more scifi shows. They are seriously headed towards an MTV (2% music 98% reality).
                There is really very little SF on that channel already. But at least there's some place for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  IMHO they probably thought they needed one "normal" one in there, but the thing is he's not that interesting. I can see having him as a device for getting to know the Sanctuary from an outsider's perspective, but that can only last so long. I notice they gave him a bit of a superpower in the show.

I'm actually surprised how much I like Henry in the show (even before his being an "abnormal" was revealed.)
                  I actually liked him in the webisodes when he was normal. I loved his little rant about how humans were second rate citizens, especially men. Like he was just doing it to wind Helen up.

Comment

what i liked about henry's rant is that it showed the relationship between them all, and that he, as an employee, felt comfortable ragging on the boss.

showed more of a friendship than a 'boss/employee' relationship
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

From Facebook:

Damian Kindler is psyched to roll cameras on Monday for Season 2!! (Thanks Aunt Ron for the typo catch...)
                      Yay!

Comment

From Facebook:

Yay!

*happy dance*

sigpic

Comment

Yay! Magnus! Magnus!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

I have the same problem with Will. Everytime I went into an episode I tried to keep an open mind about him. I tried to see him in a different perspective, so that maybe I could connect with him as a character. But, it never happened. Besides being a bland character, I think my biggest issue is that, to me, he doesn't seem believable in his character. Maybe it's my age (Gawd, don't tell me I've hit that age! ), but he looks really young and fresh faced. That is not usually a bad thing, but for his particular character, it is. He doesn't look like someone who would have the years of experience as both an ex-FBI agent...or whatever criminal branch it was, and as a psychologist. Don't get me wrong, Robin Dunne seems to be a very good actor, but I just don't like him in this role very well..yet. But, I'm going to continue to try to keep an open mind and hopefully, by the end of next season, will have a different attitude about him.

I do love Henry and to me he is very believable as that character. However, I think I would have liked him to be a "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by Inward Wind View Post
                              I do love Henry and to me he is very believable as that character. However, I think I would have liked him to be a "normal".
                              One of the interesting parallels, though, we get with Henry being an abnormal is that he was raised, it would seem, more or less in the Sanctuary and has been relatively 'normal' until just recently. So we've gotten to see his coming to terms with his abnormality in the second half of S1, and how Helen (and Will and the others) have helped him and supported him as he's adjusted to this. It actually makes a rather sad contrast, IMHO, to their treatment of Ashley who has, really, had to make a similar journey but, at least emotionally, has had to do it with far less support. As much as I love the scene in Edward when Helen talks to Henry in the library about how she wished she could have been there for him, it's a rather jarring contrast to the scene at the shooting range when she tries to talk to Ashley and always makes me feel just a bit sorry for Ashley who's stability seems almost taken for granted. Thus, as with many of the characters and relationships on Sanctuary, we get a compare and contrast between the two characters and their situations which serves to highlight both of them and the characteristics of those involved rather interestingly.

IMHO.

Of course.

Comment

From Facebook:
                                Yay!
                                Wicked!!! So...when is the first ep expected to air?? Wasn't it early October?? I hope we get a few spoilers per se before then!!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X