Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    I'm glad to hear it

Beans for breakfast? Maybe in th local cafe, but I don't think most people woodn't eat them at home

The Glaswegian accent is very hard to understand, even for other Scots. But they sure know how to celebrate Hogmannay (That's New Year's eve for those that don't know)
    Every hotel buffet has beans. Aside from that, and blood pudding at one buffet (which I just couldn't face, later in the day I might have been brave enough to try, but not before coffee ), everything was the same as you would see here. I've always associated beans with barbeques. And I don't like just plain beans, I like baked beans.

Hopefully, I'll make it back to Scotland someday. Only got to see a little of Edinburgh. Mainly the castle, which was beautiful. Want to see more of the country for sure.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    good point. One of the things I liked about REquiem was the changing accents when she was tormenting Will. She drops into a less proper accent & then uses a bit of an American accent on "Helen." It would be interesting to get AT's reasoning. I read the "you're not yourself, Helen" with a very American "helen" as a way to mock Will, but wasn't sure about the other. More threatening? More out of control?
    Her first exposure to a cockney accent would probably have been early on working with the abnormals. I imagine that it would have been much easier for abnormals to hide amongst the poorer working class folks. It also would have been Druitt's stomping grounds. Whitechapel was a pretty rough area at the time. Having an upper class upbringing, on some level she would probably associate that accent with a more dangerous "street" attitude.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    one reason americans might seem to stupiid....other countries are far away - by and large.

mexico and canada....not really foreign countries if you get my meaning. Heck, few more years there won't even be much of a language barrier while those of you in europe, you can drive a few hours and be in another country.

i think a majority of americans never leave their own country because there's not one handy and near by and it's a big deal to take that long trans oceanic flight to go to another country

it's all we can do to keep up wiht our own country and then most learning is 'book learning' not experiences, and it's simply because other countries are too hard and too expensive to get to
    Canada's a foreign country?

Very good point. Except for my two Gabit trips. I've not been to any foreign countries. And even then, we all speak the same language (for the most part). There's still a huge portion of this country I haven't seen. I could probably count the states I've been to on two hands. There's a whole lot more that I'd like to see in this country and around the globe. There's never enough time or money.

At least I'll finally get to see Vancouver. I had never even been to Toronto until two years ago (and that was to see Amanda ). Only part of Canada I've really seen is Windsor, and the road to Toronto.

Thank goodness for conventions or I'd never make it anywhere.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
      Every hotel buffet has beans. Aside from that, and blood pudding at one buffet (which I just couldn't face, later in the day I might have been brave enough to try, but not before coffee ), everything was the same as you would see here. I've always associated beans with barbeques. And I don't like just plain beans, I like baked beans.

Hopefully, I'll make it back to Scotland someday. Only got to see a little of Edinburgh. Mainly the castle, which was beautiful. Want to see more of the country for sure.
      Seriously? Just shows how rarely I eat breakfast in hotels

Not sure what you mean by 'plain' beans I automatically assumed you meant baked beans

Her first exposure to a cockney accent would probably have been early on working with the abnormals. I imagine that it would have been much easier for abnormals to hide amongst the poorer working class folks. It also would have been Druitt's stomping grounds. Whitechapel was a pretty rough area at the time. Having an upper class upbringing, on some level she would probably associate that accent with a more dangerous "street" attitude.

Canada's a foreign country?

Very good point. Except for my two Gabit trips. I've not been to any foreign countries. And even then, we all speak the same language (for the most part). There's still a huge portion of this country I haven't seen. I could probably count the states I've been to on two hands. There's a whole lot more that I'd like to see in this country and around the globe. There's never enough time or money.

At least I'll finally get to see Vancouver. I had never even been to Toronto until two years ago (and that was to see Amanda ). Only part of Canada I've really seen is Windsor, and the road to Toronto.

Thank goodness for conventions or I'd never make it anywhere.
      SE will be my first trip out of the UK. I'm already stressing

Comment

Not sure how this turned into American ignorance. And I know I for one try to learn as much as I can about other countries/cultures. That's just one reason why I love accents, it's just one piece of the cultural puzzle of a country/region.

I always figured g'day mate was supposed to be an outback thing. Kind of like howdy or ya'll here in the states. It's a regional thing. Crocodile dundee would probably be just as out of place in Sydney as in NYC.
        i think its great to learn as much about other cultures as possible... and i love meeting people from all over the world on forums

i say howdi, and im an aussie... i use y'all when im on the reba forum im a member of... i dont use gday...

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
        The way to combat stereotypes is by confronting them (by which I don't mean being confrontational with the people who hold them). If you have to explain to people why the stereotypes aren't true, so be it. But stereotypes tend to persist because they have a grain of truth to them. If all I've ever seen from Australia is Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin, that's going to be all I know of Australia. It's not to be insulting that I accept the stereotype, it's a simple lack of experience. To be honest, there are a lot of people who have no concept of what Australia is like because it's not on their radar at all. That doesn't imply any hostility either. I think at this point, you can consider us here educated on the topic.

One of the things I love about Gateworld is the exposure to people of all types, but I'm certainly not your typical American. (Most Americans don't learn a foreign language because there's no chance of its ever being a useful skill.) Most Americans never leave their country. I'm not condemning it as a bad thing per se, it simply is. Travel isn't cheap, and it's out of reach of many people's purses. I also don't know many people who travel for vacations other than to visit relatives. I haven't stayed in a hotel in my own country for years. (Right now, I'm sleeping on an airbed inmy sister's living room. )

The stereotype Helen fights? That abnormals don't exists or are all monsters who should be taken out. A huge chunk of her work lies in educating people, including the abnormals themselves. (Take Henry as an example.)
        very true which is why i brought it up

i learnt two languages in school, italian and japanese, neither or which i have used, but it was insightful none the less, and i still remember certain things... i actually wish i had been able to continue japanese in highschool but i moved suburbs and the highschool i went to taught italian... i even sometimes ask people in other countries how to say hello/goodbye/how are you/take care in their language...

also, while i can understand where you are coming from on the 'if youve only seen such things its all you know' may apply to different cultures, i really dont understand how it applies between australia and america... sure there are clearly differences, but it would be much eaiser to adapt to moving between australia, new zealand, the US, canada and england then it would to move to a country where the language and culture were more significantly different... so out of curiosity why do people think a lack of anything to compare it to makes australia some unknown entity in terms of any other english speaking countries...

sorry im just thinking out loud... i guess i just have some thought patterns that come from a rather different angle...

Let's see: Boot=trunk of a car
        Bonnett=hood of a car
        sauce=?
        chips=french fries
        mobile=cell phone
        lollies=popcicles?
        fring=bangs?

how did I do?
        sauce = ketchup
        lollies = candy
        ice block = popcicles

and the rest are correct

oh and we use chips to describe both potato [crisps] and hot [fries] chips...

Excellent question. I could see Helen getting very depressed. I'm not sure if that would take the form of lashing out or withdrawing, though. I could see either her going totally dark side or catatonic. (((Helen)))
        thanks i thought it would be interesting to see how helens thoughts would change between the putting ashley in danger knowing something could happen and something actually having happened...

how about
        pants = underpants
        trousers = pants
        fanny....so ain't gonna go there
        trolly - cart
        telly - TV
        lounge room - living room
        car park - parking lot
        jumper = sweater
        trainers = tennies/sneakers
        underpants = undies or underwear for me, hehe...
        i say trolly... both telly and tv... car park... jumper... lounge room and living room, but for different rooms and trainers can also be runners...

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
        Sorry Sky but those things all apply to us over here too and yet the average Aussie & Kiwi has a lot more world knowledge than Yanks. I think the reason for it is an underlying cultural one.
        my 'ancestors' came over in the early 1900's. I have no idea where in europe they came from, so no ties there

in grade school, when we're studying history, any time between the 1700's and 1919, the only history you get taught is ours.

especially here in the midwest, we don't get a lot of immigrants (other than mexicans)
        id have to agree... we are very much cut off as well, australia doesnt even border another country, we have to get on a plane or boat to go to another country...

but i think one of the reasons we have more world knowledge is because we have world history, geography and literature in school which gives us a grounding and for some like me a curiosity to learn about other countries and cultures... when i was in grade 6 i could take a blank map of europe and fill in every country and its capital from memory... in grade 7 we were given a different country to research each week and present a one page report on...

it also probably helps that australia is a multicultural country...

alot of australians i know also want to and do travel, regardless of the distance or the cost, it is their dreams to see certain countries and they save to be able to fulfil such dreams... i work in the largest of three accounting firms and there are 28 people in my office alone, and off the top of my head 20 of us have been overseas... of the 7 of us in my main social group 5 have been overseas... there are 29 people on my dads side of the family, made up of my granpa and 6 family groups, all the parents, and most of the adult children want to travel... alot of mums friends and their adult kids have travelled both with the family and on their own...

i myself travelled to america last year for a concert... that is what my friend and i planned our trip around...
        Last edited by katjoy; 20 July 2009, 02:55 AM.
        "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Let's see:
          Boot=trunk of a car
          Bonnett=hood of a car
          sauce=? Aussie slang is "dead horse"
          chips=french fries
          mobile=cell phone
          lollies=popcicles?=sweets/candy
          fring=bangs?
          how did I do? Not bad!!
          how about
          pants = underpants =knickers - for girls =jocks - for boys
          trousers = pants = slacks
          fanny....so ain't gonna go there Chicken!!!
          trolly - cart
          telly - TV
          lounge room - living room
          car park - parking lot
          jumper = sweater = windcheater
          trainers = tennies/sneakers = runners
          Originally posted by katjoy View Post
          sauce = ketchup
          lollies = candy
          ice block = popcicles = icy poles
          and the rest are correct
          underparts = undies or underwear for me, hehe...
          i say trolly... both telly and tv... car park... lounge room and living room, but for different rooms and trainers can also be runners...
          how about if someone thought it was an abnormal, but it was really a spirit of the aboriginal people...mistaken identity
          Oh no...please no!!! Not that!!
          Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          Sorry Sky but those things all apply to us over here too and yet the average Aussie & Kiwi has a lot more world knowledge than Yanks. I think the reason for it is an underlying cultural one.

That plot bunny is a good one but I'm not sure if the black panther is a good example. Why not a bunyip? It's varying descriptions could be taken from some tribes beliefs of ancient animal people who were very intelligent and almost magical. Though you probably shouldn't go as far as the Yowie because the hominid aspect of some of those legends might be too close to the Bigfoot legends and might pale beside the big guy
          Been channeling my thoughts RoX???
          I agree...in fact I would say Australia and New Zealand are more isolated than the US...they at least have Canada, South America and what ever else falls between. And depending on where you live in the states, UK is just a hop over the water.
          But then again for us Aussies, Indonesia is just at the top of us...too close for comfort given the current situation over there.

And I was thinking about the Bunyip just yesterday. As for the Yowie...I only like the chocolate variety!!
          But Australia has a lot of weird creatures here so we'd have to have some pretty impressive abnormals...maybe a Dingo Boy or something!!!
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

for me

the only reason i went to canada the first time was to go to gatecon 2001. the only reason i went to the UK was for AT2, Avalon and AT3.

beyond that, i had no reason to leave the country. I only got a passport in 2002 because, at that time, gatecon was right around 911 and things at the border got a bit tense and i wanted to make things easier

If it wasn't for fandom, i would never have left the country. If it wasn't for fandom, I'd still have no idea what 'jumper' means in Brit.

a lot of people don't have fandoms to chat in. And even more simply cannot afford the cost of going abroad. 700+ for a plane ticket...for a lot of people they just can't afford that. Especially here in the midwest with lots of farmers, etc, they don't have the time, don't have the money to go over seas

would i say that the average education is ethnocentric? yeah, i would. We don't have a semester of 'learn about other cultures' (or didn't when i went to school) Of course, around here, we also don't have large groups of immigrants. In the last 10 years or so, we have had an influx of middle eastern people, India and such (which brings up a whole nother issue of ethinic bias and peoples' in ability to distinguish between Iranian, Pakistanian and Indian)

You know, around here, even vegetarians have a hard time because - while it may be common in other parts of the world and the west coast - it's not here.

How culturally educated you are is based on where you live and the attitudes of your elders
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Season 2 will Premiere Friday, October 9 at 10 PM

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/0...-stargate.html

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                Seriously? Just shows how rarely I eat breakfast in hotels

Not sure what you mean by 'plain' beans I automatically assumed you meant baked beans

SE will be my first trip out of the UK. I'm already stressing
                Plain old Heinz beans out of the can. Like cowboys would have eaten around the campfire.

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
                also, while i can understand where you are coming from on the 'if youve only seen such things its all you know' may apply to different cultures, i really dont understand how it applies between australia and america... sure there are clearly differences, but it would be much eaiser to adapt to moving between australia, new zealand, the US, canada and england then it would to move to a country where the language and culture were more significantly different... so out of curiosity why do people think a lack of anything to compare it to makes australia some unknown entity in terms of any other english speaking countries...

sauce = ketchup
                lollies = candy
                ice block = popcicles

and the rest are correct

id have to agree... we are very much cut off as well, australia doesnt even border another country, we have to get on a plane or boat to go to another country...

but i think one of the reasons we have more world knowledge is because we have world history, geography and literature in school which gives us a grounding and for some like me a curiosity to learn about other countries and cultures... when i was in grade 6 i could take a blank map of europe and fill in every country and its capital from memory... in grade 7 we were given a different country to research each week and present a one page report on...

it also probably helps that australia is a multicultural country...

alot of australians i know also want to and do travel, regardless of the distance or the cost, it is their dreams to see certain countries and they save to be able to fulfil such dreams... i work in the largest of three accounting firms and there are 28 people in my office alone, and off the top of my head 20 of us have been overseas... of the 7 of us in my main social group 5 have been overseas... there are 29 people on my dads side of the family, made up of my granpa and 6 family groups, all the parents, and most of the adult children want to travel... alot of mums friends and their adult kids have travelled both with the family and on their own...

i myself travelled to america last year for a concert... that is what my friend and i planned our trip around...
                Maybe that's where the difference lies. Canada and Mexico are so close you don't have to go far to travel to a foreign country. Traveling overseas isn't something that everyone wants to do. (I do, but then I've always loved to travel and there are so many things in the world I want to see). Most people I know have only ever been to Canada (probably because we're so close to the border - can be to Canada in 20 minutes). A few have been to Mexico. I don't even know many people who have been to Hawaii or Alaska. Those are real expensive trips as well. A lot of people here travel to another state or "up north" for vacation.

Australia has the same kind of geographic diversity as the US, right? Mountains, deserts, forests, etc. So, it must be that since it's an island, Australians have a different attitude towards overseas travel. Everything is overseas.
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                Anon

Comment

Maybe that's where the difference lies. Canada and Mexico are so close you don't have to go far to travel to a foreign country. Traveling overseas isn't something that everyone wants to do. (I do, but then I've always loved to travel and there are so many things in the world I want to see). Most people I know have only ever been to Canada (probably because we're so close to the border - can be to Canada in 20 minutes). A few have been to Mexico. I don't even know many people who have been to Hawaii or Alaska. Those are real expensive trips as well. A lot of people here travel to another state or "up north" for vacation.

Australia has the same kind of geographic diversity as the US, right? Mountains, deserts, forests, etc. So, it must be that since it's an island, Australians have a different attitude towards overseas travel. Everything is overseas.
                  Yeah there is a lot of diversity in the U.S. so maybe that's why we don't always make plans to go overseas. Also the resources it takes to make such a journey especially considering where one lives in the U.S. has a lot to do with it too. I can go in any direction and either be at the beach or mountains and there is always something else to see at a reasonable cost.

Mexico seems to be the average foreign country people have visited from my area. Friends, sibling & cousins have been to Mexico, parents to Bermuda and I've been to Europe (a whirlwind visit of 6 countries in 10 days). I loved my trip to Europe! However, most of the people in my area only get one week of vacation at a time (for me that would mean only 3 days of sightseeing in a country, with the money and time it takes to get there doesn't seem worth it). So those rare vacations (like my trip to Canada next year) that you finally convince your boss to allow you to take the 10 to 12 days needed are generally viewed as once in a life time trips. Like you said even Hawaii and Alaska fall in that category for me and they are part of the US that I would love to see.

Comment

would i say that the average education is ethnocentric? yeah, i would. We don't have a semester of 'learn about other cultures' (or didn't when i went to school) Of course, around here, we also don't have large groups of immigrants. In the last 10 years or so, we have had an influx of middle eastern people, India and such (which brings up a whole nother issue of ethinic bias and peoples' in ability to distinguish between Iranian, Pakistanian and Indian)

You know, around here, even vegetarians have a hard time because - while it may be common in other parts of the world and the west coast - it's not here.

How culturally educated you are is based on where you live and the attitudes of your elders
                    Education in the states is definitely ethnocentric. My geography education in elementary school centered around learning the continents. I didn't even learn much about the different states. Much has been sacrificed to reading and arithmetic in the elementary schools. Until a few years ago, kids only had science and social studies lessons once a week because of the back to basics campaign.

It's not until high school that there are any sort of world studies. While there is a geography class in the Virginia Standards of Learning, it was not taught in the high school where I taught because the test was so hard that students wouldn't pass it. Since you only have to pass a certain number of SOL tests in social studies, world studies was taught instead. It included some geography but focused on history. Most of the history taught is real western civilization and focuses on units that have had a significant impact on the US.

I have to argue against the statement that Mexico and Canada are so close. Neither is in driving distance for me (at least not in one day), and getting to Mexico is an hours-long plane flight. My family definitely considers both foreign countries. It's all about location, and I'm not nearly as close as many other Americans are.
                    sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                    May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Though Amanda TOTALLY deserves to get a nom for Requiem. At least the smart folks in Canada have recognized her talent.

Did you just say something nice about me?

Truth be told, I don't think the Canadian TV industry as a whole has ever truly recognised the contribution and talent in shows like Stargate and Sanctuary. They, and AT, get recognition in B.C. but not on the national stage. Stargate was viewed by many in the industry as an American show because of the source of the funding. Sanctuary is new so I'm waiting to see if it gets any nominations from the Geminis. I think part of the problem is also that there is a Toronto bias and shows done in Vancouver don't get as much respect by the people who decide national awards.

is lucy lawless back at home?

if so, wouldn't she make a GREAT boss of another sanctuary? or an abnormal
                      I think having LL guest star would be

That would be Canada.

Well, Sanctuary for everybody but me. They keep kicking me back across the border.
                      Well, we are nice people but we do have standards.

I just wish Canada would keep their arctic air where it belongs. We're having record low temps right now. Going into the 50's tonight and it's mid summer! And to keep myself on the good side of our Canuck friends, it's all that cold air that makes them have to have warm hearts.
                      Hang in there, I'm sure you'll survive.

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                      Way to insult the Canadian contigent, Sky.

I didn't want to say it but someone had to.

As for the whole travel discussion, I've always been of the view that every Canadian should be required to travel when they reach adulthood. Not only is it broadening but I think it gives one an appreciation for how good we have it at home and maybe it would stop people from complaining about a lot of insignificant stuff.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Not going to Comic Con this weekend? Ask your questions for the Sanctuary Panel here : http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/ask-you...te-syfy-st.php
                        -

Comment

for me

the only reason i went to canada the first time was to go to gatecon 2001. the only reason i went to the UK was for AT2, Avalon and AT3.

beyond that, i had no reason to leave the country. I only got a passport in 2002 because, at that time, gatecon was right around 911 and things at the border got a bit tense and i wanted to make things easier

If it wasn't for fandom, i would never have left the country. If it wasn't for fandom, I'd still have no idea what 'jumper' means in Brit.

a lot of people don't have fandoms to chat in. And even more simply cannot afford the cost of going abroad. 700+ for a plane ticket...for a lot of people they just can't afford that. Especially here in the midwest with lots of farmers, etc, they don't have the time, don't have the money to go over seas

just out of curiosity sky, what else did you do while you were in canada and the uk? did you site see, were the tourist hot spots of any interest to you?

im asking because when my friend and i were in the states last year for a concert we picked concerts in 2 states that would allow us to see as much as possible... we took in the sites in boston, ny, nashville, and even a bit in birmingham and atlanta... we also made sure we got to go to canada to see niagra falls...

and one day i want to do a convention in toronto that allows me to site see there and then head down to the US to take in more states...

i want to go to england and see london and the suburb where my dad lived til he was 11... i want to go to new zealand because so many say the scenery is breathtaking... im fascinated by egypt because im a history buff and ancient egypt is my favourite of the ancient worlds... i read books that deal with the history of numerous countries and cultures... the world fascinates me, but not necessarily in a travel sense...

this one is for all the americans - how many states have you been too... in two trips ive been to 8 states as well as cananda and mexico...

yep... we have mountains, forests, deserts, beaches... all the major hot spot scenery... and all degrees of weather from stinking hot and muggy to snow... and heck, if ya lucky melbourne [capital of victoria, at the bottom east] may very well give you three seasons in one day

even tasmania is 'overseas' and its part of australia

so many people i know want to travel because they are curious, they want to experience other cultures, they want to see how other people live... they want to be able to say i have been to X,Y&Z or simply see something for real not just in a picture... we know its costly and time consuming to get there but it just means we save our money and holidays...

and some more word combos for people, this one with the theme of babies

dummy = binky = pacifier
                          nappy = diaper
                          cot = crib

and on the topic of accents has anyone else noticed that singers tend to lose or at least minimise their accents when they sing... take celine dion, abba and kelly clarkson for eg - all have decernible accents when speaking but not when singing...

AT breaks in and out of an adorable english accent when doing interviews and Q&As

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post

WOOHOO

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          As for the whole travel discussion, I've always been of the view that every Canadian should be required to travel when they reach adulthood. Not only is it broadening but I think it gives one an appreciation for how good we have it at home and maybe it would stop people from complaining about a lot of insignificant stuff.
                          i think that is a very good point, if people dont travel or at least study and learn about other cultures they cant and often dont appreciate what is in their own backyard...

i have been to the US & canada [which have their differences but on the whole you dont feel like youve stepped into another world]... but mexico was definately an eye opener, to know something is one thing, to see it is another thing entirely...
                          Last edited by katjoy; 21 July 2009, 01:47 AM.
                          "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

yeah, we went sight seeing.

whale watching, capilano, grouse mountain, other areas around vancouver. we tracked down several filming locations

in england we saw the sights, buckingham palace, the Eye, big ben, climbed to the top of st paul, walked around the british museum

then for AT3 we spent a week in nottingham with a friend and saw major oak, hardwick hall and some other places whose names are escaping me

this year when we got o SE and MTM we're planning some sight seeing in the days in between

when we went to gatecon a few years ago, we drove there from LA, so drove up the coast, stopped at Mt St Helens on the way back, drove the pacific coast highway
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Sanctuary is truly a global phenomenon! AXN will begin to show the first season even here in Bulgaria!

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post

Oooooooooooooh yesssssssssssssssssssss!

One of my girls is gonna be coming back on October 9!

Comment

Working...
                                X