No announcement yet.

X-Men III Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another sequel is looking likely now with a record take brought in for the weekend and third place over all in the box office history.

Comment

Originally posted by Teelie
      Another sequel is looking likely now with a record take brought in for the weekend and third place over all in the box office history.
      My question is:

Spoiler:
      With Scott Summers/Cyclops & Jean Grey/Phoenix dead, and Raven Darkholme/Mystique powerless? What could possibly happen next?

Mattathias

Comment

I found the movie drab and unengaging. No plot, no character development, and not a lot of actiony excitement except for the end, when it was so saturation-heavy it was hard to appreciate. It tried to accomplish too much in too little time. With a run-time of 90-whatever minutes, you should CONCENTRATE YOUR FRACKING IDEAS!!! Instead there are plots and characters all over the place and they all basically get ignored.

Spoiler:

* The deaths were meaningless to me because I didn't believe them.
        * There was nothing remotely phoenixy about Phoenix. I kept getting a Dark Willow vibe off her and that made her seem cheesy and lame.
        * The backstory about Xavier adding "blocks" to Jean's powers was ham-fisted and made Prof X seem like an idiot.
        * No Nightcrawler. Bah.
        * WTF was the point of bringing in Angel (Archangel?) if you aren't going to use him?
        * WTF was the point of bringing in Leech if you're only going to use him as a prop?
        * Kelsey Grammer is NOT Beast. He's too Fraiser. And Fraiser isn't smart, he's comedic. It detracts from the character. They should have kept Steve Bacic. Let's have a sexy Beast.
        * Kitty Pride was a nice addition, but she would have been nicer if Katie had played her.
        * The "triangle" between Rogue, Iceman and Kitty was pathetic and overly contrived. It was obviously meant to drive Rogue to seek the cure, but it only made her seem selfish and immature.
        * Magneto's evil posse was just as pointless as Angel and Leech. Even Pyro was relegated to backup singer.
        * Loved the bridge, but WTF was the point of showing us the trapped family if you never show us what happens to them?? Did they die in a fiery ball of flying death? Did they roll down the windows and escape? Did the good guys save them? Jeez.
        * Loved Kitty vs. Juggernaut. Nice to know SOMEONE in the movie has a working brain.
        * I still want to know why no Gambit.
        * LOVED R Lee Ermey's voiceover as the Military Voice of Command. Love him. He's awesome!
        * Once again Jubilee is dumped into the background. If she ever becomes a bigger character, they'd better not replace Kea or I shall be angry.

There's probably more, but that's all I can remember for now. It was a good excuse to eat nachos, but the nachos were far more filling than the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
          My question is:

Spoiler:
          With Scott Summers/Cyclops & Jean Grey/Phoenix dead, and Raven Darkholme/Mystique powerless? What could possibly happen next?

Mattathias
          We don't know if
          Spoiler:
          Scott Summers died, Jean "died" once already, and if Magneto is any indication, Mystique may return to her old self as well.

The comics are rife with this kind of stuff and since there are almost endless possibilities in storylines, it's just a matter of finding the right one to match up with the sequel. There are like two dozen X-Men and affiliated teams so we don't know who/what else we'll see next.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            I found the movie drab and unengaging. No plot, no character development, and not a lot of actiony excitement except for the end, when it was so saturation-heavy it was hard to appreciate. It tried to accomplish too much in too little time. With a run-time of 90-whatever minutes, you should CONCENTRATE YOUR FRACKING IDEAS!!! Instead there are plots and characters all over the place and they all basically get ignored.

Spoiler:

* The deaths were meaningless to me because I didn't believe them.
            * There was nothing remotely phoenixy about Phoenix. I kept getting a Dark Willow vibe off her and that made her seem cheesy and lame.
            * The backstory about Xavier adding "blocks" to Jean's powers was ham-fisted and made Prof X seem like an idiot.
            * No Nightcrawler. Bah.
            * WTF was the point of bringing in Angel (Archangel?) if you aren't going to use him?
            * WTF was the point of bringing in Leech if you're only going to use him as a prop?
            * Kelsey Grammer is NOT Beast. He's too Fraiser. And Fraiser isn't smart, he's comedic. It detracts from the character. They should have kept Steve Bacic. Let's have a sexy Beast.
            * Kitty Pride was a nice addition, but she would have been nicer if Katie had played her.
            * The "triangle" between Rogue, Iceman and Kitty was pathetic and overly contrived. It was obviously meant to drive Rogue to seek the cure, but it only made her seem selfish and immature.
            * Magneto's evil posse was just as pointless as Angel and Leech. Even Pyro was relegated to backup singer.
            * Loved the bridge, but WTF was the point of showing us the trapped family if you never show us what happens to them?? Did they die in a fiery ball of flying death? Did they roll down the windows and escape? Did the good guys save them? Jeez.
            * Loved Kitty vs. Juggernaut. Nice to know SOMEONE in the movie has a working brain.
            * LOVED R Lee Ermey's voiceover as the Military Voice of Command. Love him. He's awesome!
            * Once again Jubilee is dumped into the background. If she ever becomes a bigger character, they'd better not replace Kea or I shall be angry.

There's probably more, but that's all I can remember for now. It was a good excuse to eat nachos, but the nachos were far more filling than the movie.
            How funny I was wondering the same thing about
            Spoiler:
            the family in the car! Did Magneto throw their car at the soldiers? Did they survive?
            I'm also hoping they bring Gambit in.
            And I didn't even notice Jubliee, which scene was she in?
            Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

About the "missing" mutant,
              Spoiler:
              Jubliee was in the "classroom" when the Professor told them to go to Alkalai Lake after sensing Phoenix coming out of the water.

She was to the right and near the front.

Comment

There's the Wolverine film already in development (for 2007, they're saying), but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a proper X4. Which is a shame, I'd like to see a film that at least spends a little time exploring the possible set up at the end of 3,
                Spoiler:
                with Storm and Logan overseeing the school. But, with the rumor that the studio morons execs were trying to push a Storm/Wolverine relationship since work began on the first film, maybe it's best that this franchise be left alone, at least for a while.

a time to mourn

Comment

i'd like there to be an x-men 4, i really like the whole x-men series. Im looking forward to the wolverine film eventually

sig by starlover1990

Comment

I don't know if this was posted previoulsy, I hope you guys stayed after the credits! There was a little scene after all the credits ended.

For those that missed it: (Don't read it if you haven't seen it!)

Spoiler:
                    Remember in the begining, when Prof. X was giving that whole lecture about whether or not it is ethicaal to transfer the conciousness of one sick person to a body with no mental activity in it? Well the scene at the end is Dr. Moria McTaggert (who was the doctor in the video in the begining) goes to check on the patient who was supposed to be the "blank slate". When she appraches him, you hear the guy say "Moria?" with Prof. X's voice, and then she answers "Charles?"
                    So from that we can assume that at the last minute, Prof. X transferred his mind in to that guy's before Jean killed him.
                    Last edited by Jumper One; 29 May 2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

There are both Wolverine and Magneto films in development but both are prequels and will have nothing to do with the current films. That still leaves open an X4, although I can sense the "Star Trek effect" of over-saturation if they try to rush too many of them out at once.

Comment

The comics are rife with this kind of stuff and since there are almost endless possibilities in storylines, it's just a matter of finding the right one to match up with the sequel. There are like two dozen X-Men and affiliated teams so we don't know who/what else we'll see next.
                        Well, I don't think they can get away with as much resurrections in the movies as in the comics. Certain X-men comic storylines such as the aliens, alternative dimensions stuff are just too complex to be pulled off well in the movies for them (the movie industry) to try. However, there are plenty of other X-men characters yet to be introduced in the X-men film franchise that they can use in future X-4 and beyond.
                        I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Spoiler:

Because they dude that was going to play him either had a schedule conflict or decided not to do it, so they decided to drop him.

Mattathias

Comment

Too many characters, I think was the official reason. Given they still had too many characters even with so many dropped, I'd say they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
                              My question is:

Spoiler:

Mattathias
                              What could happen next? One word/name - Apocalypse. The first mutant.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't understand why so many people don't like it , I thought it was great. I went in expecting a junk movie, but it was very entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X