X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teelie
    About the ending:
    Spoiler:
    The reason he couldn't use one of the needles on her is he wouldn't be able to carry one. She was literally peeling the skin and flesh off his body let alone him being able to carry a needle unharmed up there. Only with his claws in his arms was he able to stop her.

About Magneto:
    Spoiler:
    He did move the chess piece but only a small wobble. It wasn't a lot but enough to show the effects are wearing off slowly.

And Nightcrawler:
    Spoiler:
    Wasn't him, he wasn't in the movie because there were in the opinions of the producers, "too many blue mutants" so that was some other mutant.
    Ok, I must have missed that (about Magneto).
    Spoiler:
    That brings up an interesting point though. If they used four needles on him, and its wearing off already, does that mean its already wearing off some of the other mutants? Such as Mystique since they were both level 3 mutants, so maybe since they are a high class, it wore off? And what class was Rogue? I'm hoping she gets her powers back!
    Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisrocks
      Question for comic book fans:
      Spoiler:
      Did Jean, Cyclops, and Professor X die in the comic book too?
      I haven't followed the comics all that recently, but I believe the answer is no--at least, not ultimately.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

All in all I enjoyed the movie. The story was weak but the action was very good. Not the best of the three but there were parts of it that I enjoyed more than the first one. X2 is probably my personal favorite of the three. I was surprised how much I liked Kelsey G. as Beast
        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I also just got back from seeing it. Like everyone already pointed out (or almost everyone) the plot/character developement was weak - nonexisistant, really. Phoenix looked wonderful in the scary/evil way, which was why I love her! And her potential to be the most powerful of all mutants was something I wanted to see explored.

I am not a comic reader so have no idea how much of the plot was from the comics (though I read somewhere that they tried to squeeze 20 years of the comic storylines into this film) so could someone tell me if that was why Rogue's part was so small? I wanted to see her in more actions.. but she was just another love-sick teen. And it seemed to me like Beast had more lines than either Storm or Phoenix. Over all this movie was all about Wolverine, to me at least. Not that I mind; at least his character have some depth. Along with Magneto's relationship to Xavier that actually have a real feeling of history. Everyone else seem kinda flat. *hides from fans*

The other major point to this movie: Special effects! Needless to say it was worth the $7 to see it on the big screen. If not for the story, then see it for the action sequences. The one I love the most was at Jean's house.

I'm not trying to do a review, just sharing my opinion and ask comic fans some questions. If someone would kindly point me in the direction of where I can get a brief history of the X-Men comic storylines or major plot points, I'd be extremely grateful. Like.. what is this Dark Phoenix saga? A little syposis would be nice. And someone already said that in the comic world they didn't really die.. so what happened to them? Was the whole 'cure' thing from the comic world?

I was glad I stayed for the little clip at the end. Kinda surprised me! So does this mean a 4th film is possible?

Comment

X-Men III a good movie, just saw it tonight and thought it was pretty good. I thought the film was not quite complete through and needed few extra scenes to complete it. Fact of the matter is with a few extra scenes this probably could been the best of the three movies.

Thing I think that would made it better was of been good would of been to see jean transform into the bird pheonix, I would bit let down with it just being different personality they could of been so much more imaginative. Also if professor xabiar were able to transfere his mind into a other body what is their to stop jean from doing the same uh.
            Also I think they need to extend the story about the cure and needed to dig a bit deeper into that part, and also I think their should of been a kiss between the ice man and the girl that would walk through walls, I think this would made more emotional moment and more of a tipping point for the rogue to take the cure. I would like to of dig a bit deeper into the creater of the cure and his son.
            Also what happen to that boy which could cure the mutants with his powers. And I would like to of found out how they escape juggernought to.

I think if some of the things above were included in the movie it would turn a good movie into a great movie, this filme had every thing in it to make it a great movie just needed a extra half an hour so.

Only crap part was at the end after credits and I sat so patently busting for the toilet, they showed lecturly ten seconds then cut it before the extra bit finish, I really quite pissed of about that.

Now next week I have got to go and see the da vinci code.

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
              I'm not trying to do a review, just sharing my opinion and ask comic fans some questions. If someone would kindly point me in the direction of where I can get a brief history of the X-Men comic storylines or major plot points, I'd be extremely grateful. Like.. what is this Dark Phoenix saga? A little syposis would be nice. And someone already said that in the comic world they didn't really die.. so what happened to them? Was the whole 'cure' thing from the comic world?

I was glad I stayed for the little clip at the end. Kinda surprised me! So does this mean a 4th film is possible?
              I just finished copying 138 pages of X-men related material from Wikipedia to read later. I'm about eight years behind the times and wanted to catch up!

It looks to be fairly comprehensive, although you do need to click on quite a few links to get a good feel for the series. Start with this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-men

Enjoy!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Comment

Thanks for the link! I will dig right in

And I just came back from reading other boards.. now I learn that there are -multi- universes in the comic world with crisscrossing storylines from different superhero comics (like Fantastic Four?) all happening at the same time? The major universe being used is 616? How do you people (comic fans) keep track?! And that there are 'resets' in the comic world once in a while? So, if I were to theoretically start reading the x-men comics, where do I even start? In the very beginning? After a recent reset? Which universe should I follow? What if I don't want to read the cross-overs, would that affect my ability to understand the overall story arc? Sooo many questions! And it sounds like it's expensive to take up this hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
                  Well, Bryan Singer chose to leave to film Superman Returns, so they brought in Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake) who worked on some of it... but then withdrew because of family issues, so then Brett Ratner was brought in. He was one of the ones orginally considered for directing the original/first film.

Mattathias
                  Bryan Singer didn't so much choose to leave as the studio played games with his contract for so long that he gave up and accepted Warner Bros. much more amicable deal for Superman Returns.

From things I've read, the execs at Fox didn't want the first X-Men movie to succeed; they cut its budget and pushed up its release date in order to rush the production. Depite that, it was successful enough to merit a sequel, where Singer was grudgingly given enough of a free hand to make huge strides. Then they played games again with the third, bouncing directors and writers and scripts even while locking down a release date.

Despite all that, X3 is a fair success, IMO, and a good, dramatic end for the franchise (which Fox seems to want). But they did leave enough openings that they could continue on, assuming the execs pull their heads out of their rears. As one review I read put it, X-Men should be Fox's liscense to print money every couple of years.

There is a Wolverine movie in development, so there's still some future for this franchise. Hugh Jackman has already signed a deal on that.

a time to mourn

Comment

Spoiler:
                    The answer is no... however, from what I heard, due to M-Day (which is quite a complicated story dealing with the Scarlet Witch), Magneto and Professor X have both become powerless, along with thousands of other mutants (approximately 98% of the mutant population)... so now Professor X can walk.

However, if you'd like some information, here are some links...
                    Avengers Disassembled
                    House of M
                    Decimation
                    X-Men: The 198

Given I don't read comic books, yet wish to find out what has happened/is happening to my favorite mutants, I looked up some information.

I would like to warn that in order to understand the information, it would require some time reading other pages on mutants, situtuations, etc. you would not be familiar with, or just do not know (such as
                    Spoiler:
                    Cyclops being with Emma Frost, Rachel Summers crossover into our reality, other stuff

I am considering purchasing these particular comics and maybe more...

Mattathias

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                    I haven't followed the comics all that recently, but I believe the answer is no--at least, not ultimately.

Comment

Thanks for the link! I will dig right in

And I just came back from reading other boards.. now I learn that there are -multi- universes in the comic world with crisscrossing storylines from different superhero comics (like Fantastic Four?) all happening at the same time? The major universe being used is 616? How do you people (comic fans) keep track?! And that there are 'resets' in the comic world once in a while? So, if I were to theoretically start reading the x-men comics, where do I even start? In the very beginning? After a recent reset? Which universe should I follow? What if I don't want to read the cross-overs, would that affect my ability to understand the overall story arc? Sooo many questions! And it sounds like it's expensive to take up this hobby!
                      Tell me about it! I started off with the Fantastic Four and then was intrigued by a crossover with the X-men. So I started reading it and was hooked! I think at the height of my collecting fever, I was getting X-men, Uncanny X-men, X-factor, Excalibur, Ultimate X-men (or maybe it was Unlimited X-men--I forget), New Mutants, Wolverine, and occasional issues of Cable, X-force, and whatever other assorted miniseries came along. Regretfully, I had to quit cold turkey when I lost my (very well-paying) job eight years ago. Oh well. So now I'm trying to catch up a little.

I suppose reading Uncanny X-men would probably be the best place to start. It's the original series and is up to well over 400 issues. You don't have to start at the beginning--maybe reading through the links at Wikpedia might show you a good place to start. Then branch out to whatever seems interesting. Or maybe RealmOfX might have a better suggestion.
                      Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 27 May 2006, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Yes.. I spent about an hour reading through the various articles from wiki (with links leading to different links within links.. it's all so intricately connected ).

I have to ask, HOW can Cyclops switch partners so much?!
                        Spoiler:

I understand he thought Jean was dead and married the Jean look-a-like, who really was a copy of Jean, but not really, but then abandoned her and a CHILD for the old Jean (whom I don't really know if it was the real Jean or not). What about all their history? Did that mean nothing?? And all his alternate kids! So after reading all the relevent articles, I still don't know if Jean is really dead this time, or which Jean is dead.)

Wow, I'm not even a comic fan and only read the outline.. and I had a rant already.. sorry to all true comic fans, it's just that I don't understand all the arcs and backpaddling of character deaths.. apparently pretty much all major characters in x-men was cloned, copied, died, resurrected, impostered (haha, is that a word?), being an imposter posing as an imposter.. it's like one big soap opera except with mutant powers..

But.. back to the movie:

Something else that doesn't make sense to me: After the showdown at the research facility, apparently everything was okay? There were no apparent fallout from the 'cure'. The president's all for mutants again, everyone was happy, everything's gone back to the way it was.. except for a few major deaths. Did they just not show the patching up between the two people (humans and mutants)?

Comment

$44 million take for Friday alone. I'd say it'll warrant a sequel.

Comment

Yes.. I spent about an hour reading through the various articles from wiki (with links leading to different links within links.. it's all so intricately connected ).

I have to ask, HOW can Cyclops switch partners so much?!
                            Spoiler:

I understand he thought Jean was dead and married the Jean look-a-like, who really was a copy of Jean, but not really, but then abandoned her and a CHILD for the old Jean (whom I don't really know if it was the real Jean or not). What about all their history? Did that mean nothing?? And all his alternate kids! So after reading all the relevent articles, I still don't know if Jean is really dead this time, or which Jean is dead.)

Wow, I'm not even a comic fan and only read the outline.. and I had a rant already.. sorry to all true comic fans, it's just that I don't understand all the arcs and backpaddling of character deaths.. apparently pretty much all major characters in x-men was cloned, copied, died, resurrected, impostered (haha, is that a word?), being an imposter posing as an imposter.. it's like one big soap opera except with mutant powers..
                            I suppose it is a bit of soap opera--only you have to wait a month between episodes and it's been going on for 40+ years. It is impossibly convoluted--I think when they get a new writer or creator, they want to go back and change things so they can put their own stamp on it. It can be hard on the fans....

Here's another website that I ran across--I didn't include it before because it looks like it only covers the series through 2001 or so, and there's been a fair amount of rejiggering since then. BUT, it does have some good stuff on the whole Summers lineage and questions and stuff. Let me know what you think.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/comics/xboo...section-2.html

There's several sections and pages to the link--click around and you'll get the hang of it.

Comment

horrible movie
                              Spoiler:
                              too many unnecessary deaths, waivered too much from the cannon took the killing too far just by howw they did it(the exploding bodies)

Comment

now that I can form more coherent sentences about this movie without bursting into tears...

Spoiler:
                                I hope Rogue doesn't get her powers back. I am fervently glad of that one thing in the movie. Some powers are understandably a loss, but Rogue deserves to touch people. With the Magneto and chess board thing...maybe the cure can be broken if the mutant wants to break it.

Just thinking about the other two movies. They had one focus character each didn't they? No.1 had Rogue and No.2 had Wolverine. I didn't see that particular focus in no.3 and Jean was a prime character to be focused on. 15 minutes more wouldn't have hurt the film at all. In fact, it probably would better it. I hope the deleted scenes are good.

Comment

Working...
                                X