X-Men III Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX
    Yep, you are remembering right. The crossover started the Phoenix storyline where Jean Grey came back and then they had the Dark Phoenix Saga. Excellent stuff!!

The movie is totally different though, not bad just different. That's probably why I'm have trouble deciding if I like the storyline.

Heh heh I really am a mad fan and comic collector - That's where my user name comes from
    I had to stop collecting a few years back--there were far too many X-titles and my meager budget just couldn't take it any more. But I do have the first 50-100 issues or so of New Mutants, Excalibur (the one I miss the most), Wolverine, X-men (the not-Uncanny series), and a few other assorted odds and ends to go along with my Uncanny issues. And that's just my X-men collection....

Anyway, the last eight or nine years, I've been clueless. I did see somewhere that Storm is going to marry the Black Panther. Maybe it's because I'm not up to date on things, but I really liked her with Forge.

Would you mind terribly giving me a quick rundown on what's happening in the X-men universe these days?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Is there some overwhelming reason that they kept the movie so short? I mean, do they have some rationale? Who makes these decisions?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
        I had to stop collecting a few years back--there were far too many X-titles and my meager budget just couldn't take it any more. But I do have the first 50-100 issues or so of New Mutants, Excalibur (the one I miss the most), Wolverine, X-men (the not-Uncanny series), and a few other assorted odds and ends to go along with my Uncanny issues. And that's just my X-men collection....

Anyway, the last eight or nine years, I've been clueless. I did see somewhere that Storm is going to marry the Black Panther. Maybe it's because I'm not up to date on things, but I really liked her with Forge.

Would you mind terribly giving me a quick rundown on what's happening in the X-men universe these days?
        If you haven't kept up with the titles for the last 8-9 it's a bit difficult to catch up because they released so many X Titles and revamped existing storylines.

I used to have a list of sites that did good synopses of the titles, I'll try and find them for you.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
          Is there some overwhelming reason that they kept the movie so short? I mean, do they have some rationale? Who makes these decisions?
          Probably some stupid thick idiot who some how made it so that he runs the company that made the film and who probably told the producer and director that they will not pay for any more scenes or editing thus rushing the production time, and probably ablitarily set the deadline for the finishing date to.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
            If you haven't kept up with the titles for the last 8-9 it's a bit difficult to catch up because they released so many X Titles and revamped existing storylines.

I used to have a list of sites that did good synopses of the titles, I'll try and find them for you.
            *sigh* They did that with Legion of Superheroes, too. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a comic book fan!

Thanks for your effort! But I don't want you to go through too much trouble.

Do you have storyline or two from the X universe that you really enjoy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0
              Spoiler:
              Many "deaths", including Cyclops by Jean Grey/Phoenix, Professor X by Jean Grey/Phoenix, and finally Jean Grey/Phoenix by Wolverine. There is a scene following the credits which reveals that Professor X did survive.
              What?!?
              Seriously?! Is that actually a serious scene, or just a weird little "comedy" thing? Sounds like a bit of a cop-out if it's real...

Comment

You'll understand it when you watch the movie ! BTW it ROCKED !!!!
                Beckett: How come I never make friends like that ?
                McKay: You need to get out more.
                Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much out do you get ?
                - Atlantis: "The Rising"

Comment

I thought X-Men 3 was pretty good. The editing was a bit awkward, some of the scenes don't flow very well. Plus there was a really weird and sudden transition from day to night that didn't make any sense to me.

Spoiler:
                  Xavier transfers his mind into Dr. Moira's brain dead patient

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                    Plus there was a really weird and sudden transition from day to night that didn't make any sense to me.
                    Yes, I recall that scene. I responded "It's day already? That was quick!"

Spoiler:
                    I'd also like to point out that this Phoenix seems... different.

Despite the fact that we saw the Fire Bird in the water at the end of X2, at no time whatsoever did she use any fire abilities. Infact, instead of her eyes making that "fire" thing... they turn black. The Phoenix's only ability seems to be Jean Grey's telekinetic and telepathy.

Rather a "personality" instead of an "entity". I understand that it's a film and such...

Some of my favorite scenes:
                    - Storm using her powers at the Grey House.
                    - The opening scene with Professor X and Magneto going to meet Jean Grey. Excellent way to display the conflict.
                    - Jean Grey/Phoenix at Alcatraz destroying everything/everybody near the end. I loved it!
                    - Magneto moving the Golden Gate Bridge. Awesome!
                    - Mystuque's transformation into a human.
                    - Beast battling other mutants.
                    - Jean Grey/Phoenix awakening in the mansion and blasting the door... Awesome!

Mattathias
                    Last edited by Mattathias2.0; 26 May 2006, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I saw it earlier today. Good movie, not great but the negative reviews are generally too harsh. It will kill the fanboys to see it and of course the critics won't like it, it's too much action, not enough plot but it's not the kind of movie that needs a deep plot. A deep plot would probably ruin it or make it run over 3 hours, and then be panned for being too talkative or long (See the Da Vinci Code).

I won't add any spoilers but sit through past the credits, there's a short "teaser" at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Teelie
                        I saw it earlier today. Good movie, not great but the negative reviews are generally too harsh. It will kill the fanboys to see it and of course the critics won't like it, it's too much action, not enough plot but it's not the kind of movie that needs a deep plot. A deep plot would probably ruin it or make it run over 3 hours, and then be panned for being too talkative or long (See the Da Vinci Code).

I won't add any spoilers but sit through past the credits, there's a short "teaser" at the end.
                        Thanks for the tip about the end. I hope to go see it soon - maybe this weekend.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Just got back from the theater, and loved it! I've never been a big comic book reader and I'm not really familiar with the original storylines - I've only really seen the movies, which I've love since the first one came out. From a non-comic-reader's POV, I thought it was great!
                          Spoiler:
                          I was definitely glad that a friend gave me a heads-up on the bit after the credits. That was a pretty key scene! And Leech - was that little!Orlin from SG-1?
                          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                            Just got back from the theater, and loved it! I've never been a big comic book reader and I'm not really familiar with the original storylines - I've only really seen the movies, which I've love since the first one came out. From a non-comic-reader's POV, I thought it was great!
                            Spoiler:
                            I was definitely glad that a friend gave me a heads-up on the bit after the credits. That was a pretty key scene! And Leech - was that little!Orlin from SG-1?
                            I kept thinking I knew him from somewhere, thanks!
                            Well, I liked it, but I don't think its a movie I'll buy.
                            Spoiler:
                            At the end when Wolverine kills Jean, why didn't he just use one of the cure needles instead? With all of the guns that were probably lying around he could have grabbed one, unless they were all evaporated by Jean? Or he could have kept one of the needles instead of using all four on Magneto? But that was really sad!

Magneto:
                            Spoiler:
                            And at the end when Magneto is trying to use his powers, I didn't see the chess piece move, so he probably doesn't have his powers back.

Question for comic book fans:
                            Spoiler:
                            Did Jean, Cyclops, and Professor X die in the comic book too?
                            And I just finally connected the fact that the kid is the Iceman that becomes friends with Spiderman or whatever in that really old cartoon. I thought he was just a different one, since a lot of superheroes have similar powers.

Edit: Nightcrawler:
                            Spoiler:
                            I think Nightcrawler was shown kind of on the wall/ceiling of the church for a moment during that rally, but I wonder why he wasn't in the movie much? Probably not enough reason to use him I guess.
                            Last edited by atlantisrocks; 26 May 2006, 10:15 PM.
                            Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisrocks
                              Magneto:
                              Spoiler:
                              And at the end when Magneto is trying to use his powers, I didn't see the chess piece move, so he probably doesn't have his powers back.
                              Really?
                              Spoiler:
                              I thought it twitched very slightly, didn't it? Or was I seeing things?
                              "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                              My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

About the ending:
                                Spoiler:
                                The reason he couldn't use one of the needles on her is he wouldn't be able to carry one. She was literally peeling the skin and flesh off his body let alone him being able to carry a needle unharmed up there. Only with his claws in his arms was he able to stop her.

About Magneto:
                                Spoiler:
                                He did move the chess piece but only a small wobble. It wasn't a lot but enough to show the effects are wearing off slowly.

And Nightcrawler:
                                Spoiler:
                                Wasn't him, he wasn't in the movie because there were in the opinions of the producers, "too many blue mutants" so that was some other mutant.

Comment

Working...
                                X